Apricity XIX

Apricity
Please log in to read the full chapter

One Month Later

It had been raining for almost two weeks now. Cold, heavy drops that turned the dusty road into a river of thick, churning sludge and seeped through holes in the roof tiles. Ravi pulled his knees closer to his chest as he stared out of the window at his overgrown garden. The flowers were all withered and the strong winds had pushed the fence to cave inward, crushing the rosebushes under its soggy wooden pickets. 

He buried his nose into the blanket that was draped around his shoulders, breathing in its delicate, earthy scent; Taekwoon's scent. 

They had searched the entire town: the taverns and inns, the gallery, Hakyeon had even checked around the brothel to see if any of the other girls had seen him about. The Madame wasn't pleased with her spending so much time away but she was still seeing clients and bringing money in so she couldn't complain too much- Hakyeon was one of her main sources of income, after all. 

But the sudden turn in the weather had meant that they hadn't been able to keep up the search for long. Ravi didn't remember the last time he had eaten. Hakyeon had Jaehwan had taken to bringing things for him, preparing meals and buying things from the market in order to keep his cupboards full- but he hadn't touched any of it. he hadn't touched his work either. Instead, the door to the studio had remained locked and the canvases covered with sheets while he spent his days curled up on the windowsill of the living room, staring out in hopes he would see that familiar silhouette wandering up the pathway.

The air was chilled and the sky was a turbulent grey. It was the kind of weather that made Ravi's bones ache and his fingers and toes redden. But, still, he didn't move. 

He heard the front door smack the wall as it was thrown open, footsteps echoing on the wooden floor. "Ravi?" Jaehwan. "Where are you? I've brought some bread and cheese- I'm not taking no for an answer this time."

Ravi's gaze didn't waver as he heard the doctor enter the room. He kept himself pressed up against the wall and his arms wrapped tightly around his body. Jaehwan pulled up a chair beside him and set the basket he was carrying on the floor at his feet. "Hakyeon said she'd beat me if I failed in getting you to ingest anything solid."

"Where is she?"

"Sleeping." He picked up a small loaf of bread and broke it in half before holding it out to Ravi. When the artist refused to take it, he sighed and set it down on the windowsill beside him. "She's practically moved in with me now." 

"And do you mind that?"

Jaehwan gave a half-smile. "Of course not. You know I'd do anything for her, if she asked."

"Hm," Ravi sighed and drew the blanket tighter around him. He hated

Please log in to read the full chapter