Apricity

Apricity
Please log in to read the full chapter

The mist fell over the hills like a thick, opaque blanket, rolling around between the bushes and flirting with Ravi's ankles as he walked. The trees had long been stripped of their leaves now and the grey silhouettes of their branches stood stark against the fog. The snow had left its light sprinkling- a brilliant white amongst the scattering of yellow asphodels- in the long grass and the air was crisp and dry, snatching the breath from his open mouth before he’d even the chance to exhale. 

His knitted scarf, with its frost-bitten edges and many holes, did little to ward off the cold as he pulled it up slightly and buried his chin in the soft fabric. His eye-lashes were stuck together in clumps and his nose and cheeks had turned a deep pink as if the bitter wind had slapped his face many times with her cold hand. Sniffing loudly, he shoved his hands into his coat pockets. Every part of his body seemed to ache terribly; every movement was slow and laboured. And yet, he walked on.  

The snow crunched under his feet as he trod carefully through the moor. He was alone. 

It was a common occurrence, the solitude, and he hated it- but he loved it all the same. The thought of losing it scared him ever so slightly... and, yet, the thought of always being trapped within it scared him even more. He was caught in a limbo, torn over whether he should take a step backwards or forwards. 

The ancient oak tree peering over the top of the hill was just like him. It too stood alone. Its branches were bare and the base of its trunk remained permanently saturated with a thick layer of damp moss. His sister had called it ugly once. He had brought her here a few Winters ago, to his special place on the hillside, and she had snorted in disdain as she beheld the large, twisted form in front of her. "What a crippled looking thing," she had said, "It is a wonder it has not fallen already in these winds." Although Ravi had been hurt that she did not hold this place as dear as he did, he had to agree with her. It was quite miraculous really. The tree must have been hundreds of years old by now, bark faded and mottled black in places. But to have stood for so long... It was a little bit impossible not to hold some kind of admiration for it. 

When he reached the top of the mound, he used his cap to brush some of the snow off a large rock before placing it back on his head and setting himself down. The fog seemed to have lifted somewhat as he gazed down at the moor from above. The sky was a blushing pink and a bird's call could be heard somewhere off in the distance. Ravi breathed in slowly, taking in as much of the dewy morning air as his lungs were capable of holding, before releasing it all again in a long sigh, his breath creating a small, churning puff of mist in front of his face. 

He sat there for some minutes before a quiet shuffling sounded from behind him. It ceased almost straight away, reducing him back to silence, before beginning again, this time louder. Ravi shifted, attempting to ignore the distracting noise and focus on the moor. He supposed it was probably just a sheep- there were many of them out here- grazing in the long grass. 

"Ssh!"

He spun around, eyes wide. His cap fell from his head and landed in the snow beside him.

"Ssh!"

Ravi got to his feet tentatively, fingers trembling at his sides. There were no sheep behind him. Not even a rabbit or bird. "Who is there?" 

"Ssh!" Came a soft noise once more. 

He swallowed thickly, recovering himself, and cleared his throat "Sir!" He called. "Or madam, please, forgive my rudeness. You are welcome to join me if you would like," he offered despite his intense desire to be left alone. However, even dull conversation would be better than these childish games. But, still, there came nothing. There came nothing but a tenacious little giggle that caused the hairs on the back of Ravi's neck to rise. 

The air around him grew denser, the air perfumed by some honeyed scent. "Please," he pleaded "Reveal yourself to me." 

A foot, white and uncovered, stepped out from behind the trunk of the old oak tree. Nothing more. The corners of Ravi's lips quirked upward slightly, unbeknownst to himself, and the tip of his tongue poked from between them. A minx, he thought. He bet it was a woman, maybe even a teenaged girl. But that would have been unfortunate because he was interested now; if not a little scared.

"Hello there?" 

He took a few steps

Please log in to read the full chapter