Apricity XIII

Apricity
Please log in to read the full chapter

The boy hummed contentedly as he curled into Ravi's chest, shifting further into his lap as the artist attempted to converse with Jaehwan and Hakyeon. He was sure Taekwoon forgot that they were almost the same height sometimes. He huffed and rested his chin on the boy's broad shoulder, peering over him towards the bed. "Yes, my work is coming along nicely. The exhibit is popular too- you'll have to visit it when you're better."

Hakyeon's lips stretched into a wide smile. She was now well enough to sit propped up on some cushions. She was wearing one of Jaehwan's mothers' short-sleeved nightgowns and her dark hair was in a simple plait drawn over her shoulder. "I'd love that," she nodded vigorously as the doctor struggled to dab some cool water around her neck and face without poking her eye out. "Me too," he added with a short laugh, finally giving up and setting the cloth down on the bedside table which was now storing all kinds of pain medication and rags and such. "Maybe we could accompany one another," he said a little quieter, glancing up into her large eyes briefly before returning his gaze to Ravi "Are they all of Taekwoon?"

"Yes, the later ones are. The first few are just landscapes: the town, the moor, the view of the fields from my window-"

"All the boring ones," Hakyeon rolled her eyes with a yawn.

"The later ones are portraits," he continued as if he hadn't heard her, raking his fingers through Taekwoon's soft, raven hair. The boy let out a soft whine and peered up at him, eyes half-lidded and covered by the strands that had fallen on his face. Ravi grinned and leant down, giving him a quick peck on the cheek to appease him- for now at least. He knew it wouldn't be enough to satisfy Taekwoon for long. 

"You two seem to have gotten very close recently," Jaehwan remarked as he got to his feet and emptied the bowl of water he'd been using to wash Hakyeon out the window. There was a faint splash as it hit the street below. Ravi snorted and shook his head, leaning back in his chair "I could say the same about you two. Accompanying a lady about town, Doctor? Didn't think you had it in you after all those years buried in your studies. Girls aren't really your field of expertise." He raised his eyebrows and Jaehwan scoffed "There's no need to be hurtful. And, anyway, I should say the same to you." He dropped back down on the mattress. "Are you one to be judging with your shambolic love life?"

Hakyeon chuckled behind her hand as she watched them jibe at each other before her eyes travelled to Taekwoon. Joking aside, Jaehwan was right. The boy had been all but hanging from Ravi the second they arrived. Something had happened between them, she was sure. Something good, but something all the same. "Are you okay, Sweetpea?" She asked, competing with the rising volume of Jaehwan and Ravi's bickering voices "You've hardly said a word."

She tilted her head and sat straighter, making a little room for him should he want to part from Ravi for a few moments and come to her. However, the boy simply smiled at her. That beautiful, radiant smile of his- it was so contagious. "God bless you," she muttered under her breath as she returned the delighted gesture. 

"Well, at least I like girls!" Jaehwan retorted.

Ravi began to laugh, hard, bouncing Taekwoon on his lap as he pointed to Jaehwan "That is a low blow, my most educated friend! And your nickname at school was Mr Celibacy; you may favour the same too, who knows?"

"Oh trust me, I do not," Jaehwan chuckled with a roll of his eyes. He reached into his pocket and p

Please log in to read the full chapter