Apricity IX

Apricity
Please log in to read the full chapter

Rated M for violence with a TW for historical homo/transphobic phrases in the second part (better safe than sorry.) 

 

"Really?" Ravi grinned broadly as he jotted the numbers down, leaning heavily on the drinks cabinet that sat in the living room and holding the telephone to his ear. "No... No, that is wonderful! They're really going to pay that much for it?" He nodded frantically as he listened to the dealer rattle off details, only half listening as he rambled on about exhibitions and collections, grabbing Taekwwon's wrist as he passed; pulling him back. 

The boy tilted his head and shifted restlessly, apparently not liking the fact his wandering had been halted. He had been fidgety the past few days, actually- that and clingy... very clingy. But Ravi didn't mind. He'd be lying if he said he disliked the random cuddles after they'd finished in the studio and the shy pecks on the cheek when he put him to bed- although, over the past week, it had seemed to become a normality that the boy would climb into bed with him at some point during the night. He really was like a child.

"Okay, sir. You have a good night now. Goodbye!" He slammed the telephone down on the receiver, throwing his arms around Taekwoon and spinning around in rapid circles."The buyers liked it! They really liked it!" He let out a loud yell and set the boy down for a few seconds, only to grab him again, laughing hysterically.

They almost lost their balance as he pulled back with a wide smile, seeing Taekwoon staring blankly back at him. "My drawing of you!" He cried, shaking him slightly "People want to give me money for it! Lots and lots of money! Oh, you beautiful boy!" He pecked him on the lips before pulling away, running his hands through his hair. 

"Is that good?" The boy's mouth quirked into a confused smile as he placed his hands on Ravi's arms to steady himself.

"Very. Oh lord, I can finally buy a new easel! I've had that one since I was fifteen... and I can- wait. I know what I will do. I'll buy some new chairs for the kitchen table and some good food and we'll invite everyone over to celebrate on the coming Sunday!" He let out a delighted laugh and rushed from the room, heavy footsteps fading as he ran up the stairs to his studio. Taekwoon watched him go, a small sigh on his lips as he heard the door slam. He didn't understand precisely what Ravi was so excited about; money was an inexplicable concept to him. But he didn't care. If Ravi was happy, he was happy. 

When he didn't come back, Taekwoon curled into himself and began slowly pacing up and down the room, staring at all the rot and scrapes on the floorboards. He could hear Ravi moving about upstairs. 

"Ravi! Ravi! Oh God, Ravi, open up! Please!" A muffled yell sounded from the window and he whipped around, letting out a small cry.

"Jae... Hwan?"  

In the darkness, the doctor was hammering on the dirty panes of glass with clenched fists, eyes blown wide behind his gold-rimmed spectacles. "Ravi! Go get him; now!" 

 

*****************

 

Taekwoon struggled to keep pace as Ravi's iron grip tightened around his hand, a cold sweat forming a film over the skin. The street was dark and narrow, scarce of any light and many people- women, mostly- with painted white faces and thick, black makeup around the eyes loitered in doorways and on corners. Their hair seemed greasy and scraggly and their clothes... They weren't anything like Hakyeon's. They weren't long and colourful, and they most certainly weren't beautiful. But, at the same time, he could recognise similar components- corsets, Hakyeon had called them once.

He lowered his head to avoid their predatory gazes. He didn't like being looked at that way. It felt so wrong... like they were going to eat him. The coat and shoes Ravi had hastily helped him dress in where a little too big,

Please log in to read the full chapter