Apricity XI

Apricity
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hakyeon had never felt so embarrassed in her life. She had been made to lie on her stomach, her dress pulled down so the bodice hung around her waist and hair tied into a clumsy knot at the base of her neck while Jaehwan and Mr Han loomed over her, the seemingly younger man silently passing the doctor bandages every now and then. She wasn't sure where the other man- Mr Lee- had disappeared to but Jaehwan had instructed him to get out when the small, low lit guest bedroom was becoming too crowded. Ravi had left too.

Jaehwan exhaled heavily through his nose as he pushed his spectacles up his nose and poured more tonic onto the rag he was using to clean her wounds. They were small and shallow, luckily, but they were caked in grime from the street; they would get infected if he didn't clean them thoroughly enough. He winced as Hakyeon cried out, burying her tearstained face in the pillow when he touched the small lacerations in her flesh. He knew the tonic stung but he couldn't help it- she would just have to bare it for now.

The sound of the doorknob being twisted filled the room with a loud squeak and he stiffened "I thought I told you, I need space to-"

He froze when he saw the boy, Taekwoon, stood at the threshold, peering in with large eyes. "Ah, well... Come in, Taekwoon," He wiped his hands and sat back slightly, allowing him to see Hakyeon properly and pulling up the blanket to make sure she was suitably covered. He knew how sensitive she was about her body. 

"Ravi said come in."

"Of course." Hakyeon somehow managed the get a tiny ghost of a smile to cross her lips and shakily raised an arm, extending her hand, which he took and held tightly as he got to his knees beside the bed. "Hakyeon alright now?"

She let out a broken chuckle and shook her head "Not quite, but I will be. Are you? That man didn't hurt you, did he?" 

"They hurt Hakyeon," the boy pouted, eyes on her back. He made to touch it gingerly when Jaehwan suddenly grabbed his wrist- not at all tightly though. The doctor shook his head "Don't; you will only hurt her more." 

"He's right, Taekwoon, leave her be for now."

Ravi's shoulders were slumped as he shuffled back into the room, leaving the door open a crack. He reached out and took Sanghyuk by the shoulder, trying not to be intimidated by the slight height difference. "Thank you for your assistance. But I think now it is best for you and your associate to go." Sanghyuk's back straightened and he stared down at the artist, eyes darting briefly to Taekwoon before he pushed the hand away. "Of course," he lifted his chin and gave a curt nod before turning to the others and bowing his head "Good evening, Sirs... Miss. I hope we meet again." And then, he was gone. 

The four of them waited in silence for the muffled click of the front door closing and Jaehwan glanced up at Ravi. "What was that about?" He mumbled. He screwed the lid back on the bottle of tonic and sat back on his haunches, wiping his hands on his trousers as the artist got down between him and Taekwoon.

"Nothing."

He scoffed and removed his spectacles, pinching the bridge of his nose "It didn't look like nothing."

"How is she

Please log in to read the full chapter