Chapter 4

All That Glitters

When Jaejoong awoke the next morning, he was wrapped around Junsu. On his other side laid Yoochun, with Changmin’s head lying on his lap. A large blanket was draped over them. He knew he knocked out at some point, exhausted from crying and cursing Yunho, but had no idea that his friends stayed. He didn’t even hear Yoochun arrive.

His friends… they were the best he could ask for… How could he have survived this entire ordeal without them?

Slowly, he sat up, wincing at the aches on his body as his position on the floor was not the most comfortable. His head was also pounding and he knew it was only a matter of time until he felt the urge to vomit, so he quickly stumbled out of his room and to the bathroom down the hall.

True to his prediction, he threw up all of last night’s soju and food, leaving only behind the bitter taste and the memory of his misery.

Yunho cheated on him.

Those were the words spinning around his head as he sat by the toilet bowl after emptying his stomach.

Yunho cheated on him.

Yunho, the man who promised to love him always and to never make him cry, betrayed him.

Instantly, his heart began to tighten, as if an invisible hand was squeezing it, rendering him unable to breathe. Tears pooled at the corner of his eyes and he allowed them to flow.

He sat there, crying on the bathroom floor until Yoochun had woken up and went looking for him.

His best friend didn’t say a word. He simply plopped on the floor next to him and wrapped an arm around his shoulders, fingers his hair as soothingly as he could as Jaejoong sobbed.

He didn’t know how, but somehow, Yoochun had managed to get him off the bathroom floor and downstairs where his mother was making breakfast.

His kind and loving mother took one look at him and immediately pulled him into a hug, kissed his forehead, and urged him to sit at the breakfast table. His ever-supportive father patted him on the shoulder and piled food onto his plate before leaving to go to work.

It was just him home with them now. His sisters had all moved out to various districts. The plan was, after he and Yunho got married, he was going to move to Seoul with him.

He didn’t really think that plan was possible now.

As he ate, Jaejoong absentmindedly his empty ring finger. In his frustration, he had taken it off yesterday and threw it somewhere in his room. His finger felt without it. It was a couple ring, given to him by Yunho when he proposed. Yunho never removed his; he had still been wearing it yesterday when they… fought.

Jaejoong couldn’t help but think about how amusing that situation was. Yunho wore the ring, the symbol of their love and devotion to each other while having with another person.

So amusing that he felt one lone tear leave his eye and go down his cheek. He made no move to wipe it away as he continued to eat his breakfast.

Eventually, they were joined by the rest of his friends and their usual playful banter distracted his weary mind from thinking.

“Changmin, stop!” Junsu screeched as the younger snatched the last couple of sausages with his fork. “Yah! You had five already! I only had two! Mrs. Kim!”

“Changmin, share,” Mrs. Kim simply said in an amused tone. “God, if I didn’t know any better, I’d think your mother has been starving you!”

“That’s 'cause your cooking is the best, Mrs. Kim!” piped the other as he allowed Junsu to grab a couple of the sausages on is plate.

Meanwhile, Yoochun was shooting Jaejoong some concerned looks as the other picked at the rest of his plate. He couldn’t seem to stomach much food. At least the coffee was helping.

“How are you feeling?” he asked in a low voice.

Jaejoong simply shrugged.

His mother turned to him. “You have a shift this afternoon at the restaurant, but you can take the day off if you want.”

Since the elementary school’s summer program was only four days a week, he helped out his parents at their restaurant on the other days.

He shook his head. “No, I’ll be there. I just… I need a distraction.”

Mrs. Kim walked over to him to wrap her arms around him. “Whatever you decide,” she said. “Whether you give him another chance or not, I’ll support you. I just want you to be happy, Jaejoong-ah.”

She kissed the top of his head before excusing herself out of the kitchen to get ready for work.

He was left alone with his friends who were now staring at him, deliberately, wondering if he was going to say something or start crying again.

He was tired of crying. His eyes felt like they would fall out if he shed another tear.

So, he forced a smile. “You guys didn’t have to stay the night,” he said to them.

“Yeah, hyung, your floor kinda ,” Changmin complained, rubbing his shoulder, dramatically.

“You should invest in a rug,” added Junsu, teasingly.

Yoochun offered him a gentle smile and a pat on the arm. “We couldn’t just leave you alone, you know.”

Jaejoong returned his smile. “Thank you. All three of you.”

They resumed their breakfast and when all the plates were washed and dried, Jaejoong walked them to the door so they could head home.

“We should do something tonight,” Junsu suggested. “Get your mind off things… I know! Let’s do noraebang! After your shift, hyung! Come on!”

Chuckling, Jaejoong nodded. “Alright. Noraebang. Pick me up at 6.”

He opened the door and was about to shoo his friends out when he saw the car waiting outside… and the person leaning against it.

Yunho immediately straightened up and looked at him, hopefully.

Jaejoong’s breath hitched. There he was, all handsome and rugged, the man who broke his heart.

“Babe…” he called out.

Before he could take a step, Jaejoong slammed the door shut, startling the other three behind him.

His heart was beating fast and painful against his rib cage. He could feel the first prickle of tears in his eyes.

No, he was tired of this. He was tired of crying. He didn’t want to cry anymore.

Loud and desperate knocks came on the door. “Jaejoong! Please talk to me! Baby, let me explain!”

He looked pleadingly at the three in front of him.

“Go upstairs,” Yoochun said to him. “We’ll take care of it.”

He nodded, gratefully, and ran back up to his room, holding the sob threatening to spill out from his throat.

 


 

Changmin was an only child. His parents had a difficult time having children and he had been a miracle and a blessing. Thus, he never had siblings, though he always wanted some. As a kid, he had looked up to some of the older kids in school, namely Jung Yunho.

That hyung was the coolest and he wanted to be just like him, so he followed him around like a little stalker for a good couple of months until the older noticed him. Yunho was amused at the younger’s idolization so he took him under his wing. Later on, he was introduced to Jaejoong, Yoochun, and Junsu. And before he knew it, he had become their little gang’s beloved maknae.

He admired Yunho’s dedication and passion for everything – family, friends, school, and his love for Jaejoong. He wanted to have that same spirit.

Jung Yunho was his idol and his hero.

Which was why when he found out about how he betrayed their beloved Jaejoong, he was angry. Not only had he hurt someone whom he saw as an important brother figure, he had shattered Changmin’s vision of him as the ultimate hero. Maybe it was his own fault for putting Yunho on a pedestal. Nonetheless, when Yunho cheated on Jaejoong, Changmin himself felt wronged.

So, when Yunho showed up at Jaejoong’s house that morning, he felt the bitterness of his betrayal seeping into him.

After Jaejoong had run upstairs and Yunho continued to call and knock on the door, Yoochun took the lead and opened the door to confront their old friend on the other side.

Yunho had looked hopeful but was eventually disappointed to see the three of them instead.

“Guys, please. I need to talk to Jaejoong.”

Instead, the three of them stepped out of the house and closed the door behind them.

“Yunho, it’s really not a good time for Jaejoong,” said Yoochun, in the calmest tone.

Changmin felt like switching his hero worship to Yoochun now.

Yunho looked utterly dreadful. His hair was a mess, there were dark circles under his eyes, and his skin was the palest they had ever seen. He looked exhausted, practically ready to drop. But, his eyes held a fiery determination as he begged them to let him talk to his heartbroken fiancé.

“Hyung, I think you should come back another day,” Junsu said this time, his hand shaking a little at his side. “You’ll only hurt him more if you force it now.”

Yunho seemed about ready to protest but somehow, thought better than it. Instead, he sighed and in the smallest voice they had ever heard from him, said, “I know what I did was wrong. And I know hoping that he’ll forgive me is too much to hope for. But, I don’t want him to think that I don’t love him. I don’t want us to be over.”

“Then maybe you should have thought of that before you slept with that girl,” said Junsu in a scathing tone.

It shocked Changmin a little, since Junsu was the kindest and most peaceful of the five of them. But, then again, he couldn’t blame him for it either.

“I know,” Yunho replied, looking down at the ground. “I’m sorry. I want to tell him that I’m sorry.”

“He needs time,” Yoochun said. “Give him time.”

And with that, Yoochun walked past Yunho. Junsu followed. Changmin stayed on his spot for a moment, contemplating.

Yunho flashed him a sad smile. “Changmin-ah,” he said. “Hyung is sorry.”

It pissed Changmin off.

Before he knew it, he had lifted his fist and threw a punch straight at Yunho’s face.

His hand throbbed after, but he was thrilled to see a blue bruise starting to form on the older’s cheek.

“Changmin!” screeched Junsu in alarm before running over to pull the younger away.

Yunho lifted a hand to touch his cheek and flinched, yet he didn’t say a word. Only nodded at Changmin.

Good. At least he understood that he was angry at him.

As Junsu pulled him away, he looked at Yunho’s car. Digging his keys out from his pocket, he nonchalantly dug them onto the side of back seat door and dragged it across, creating a screeching sound and an ugly line against the paint.

He saw Yunho flinch on the side and it gave him a little satisfaction.

Whatever hurt and discomfort Yunho was feeling then was nothing compared to what Jaejoong was feeling.

Without another word, he walked past a surprised Yoochun and Junsu, who looked at him warily as he led them away from Yunho.

He knew he was being childish and petty. He knew Jaejoong wouldn’t approve and would probably force him to apologize later. But, at that moment, he didn’t care.

 


 

As soon as his three friends were out of sight, Yunho returned to the side of his car, holding his bruised cheek. It throbbed and hurt like a .

Changmin could throw a punch. He was somewhat proud; Yunho had been the one who taught him how after all.

And he knew he deserved the younger’s ire. Even his poor car had to suffer the consequences of his actions.

He wasn’t quite sure how long he had been standing there, nursing his bruised cheek and ego. But, eventually, he heard the front door opening and closing and soft footsteps coming up his way.

He looked up, hope b in his chest again, but tried not to look disappointed when it wasn’t Jaejoong again.

“Mrs. Kim…” he said, softly and with guilt.

She simply looked at him, her usual cheery demeanor replaced with one that was more cold and distant. To his surprise, she lifted her arm and in her hand was a single, hard-boiled brown egg.

“I saw what Changmin did,” she stated as he gratefully took the egg and pressed it to his bruise. The warmth from it soothed the throbbing a little.

“Aish, that kid. But can you really blame him?”

Yunho bit his lip and shook his head, suddenly feeling unworthy of the egg. “No… No, I can’t,” he replied.

Mrs. Kim stood there in silence at first, just watching him.

Yunho really liked her. When he, Jaejoong, Yoochun, Junsu, and Changmin were younger, she often made them after school snacks and let them do their homework at their restaurant as they ate. She would also pack extra food for them to bring home. Meals at Jaejoong’s were always anticipated due to her cooking.

And when he had asked for her and Mr. Kim’s permission to marry Jaejoong, she had immediately given her consent and convinced her husband to do the same.

He felt so shameful just standing in front of her. Despite everything he did, Mrs. Kim was still kind enough to care for him.

“I don’t like what you did to my son,” she finally stated. “I love my son and I entrusted him to you because you swore to me, time and time again, that he was the most precious person to you, that you would love and take care of him always. What happened, Yunho?”

He could only look down at the ground in shame. “I’m sorry… I know that nothing I say excuses what I did… I know that what I did was wrong… That’s why I’m here… I want… No… I’m begging for Jaejoong’s forgiveness… I know I broke your trust, Mrs. Kim… But, please… Allow me to make it right…”

Mrs. Kim sighed. “If it were up to me, I’d rather you and Jaejoong end your engagement now and go your separate ways.”

Yunho’s heart almost stopped as fear enveloped him.

“But… my son is a grown man, he can decide for himself. If he takes you back, then that’s his decision. But, hear this, Jung Yunho.” The little woman’s eyes flashed. “If you hurt my son again, I won’t let it pass.”

Yunho gulped but nodded. “I understand, Mrs. Kim. I’m… I’m sorry.”

Looking at him, she sighed again and patted his arm in a motherly fashion. “Give him time, Yunho. He needs it.”

Without another word, she walked away from him, most likely heading to work.

Yunho watched her go before turning his gaze back to the house.

They were all correct. Jaejoong needed time. So although he wanted nothing more than to stay there and beg for Jaejoong to talk to him, he had to give him space.

He cupped his hands over his mouth and called out, “Jaejoong-ah!”

No response.

He called out again, “Jaejoong-ah! I don’t know if you can hear me! But, if you can! Then, I just want to tell you that I still love you! I will always love you! So, please, when you’re ready! Please talk to me!”

Still nothing, not a single movement by the window that he knew so well.

“I love you, Jaejoong-ah! I love you so much!”

He waited a few more moments, hoping but knowing that the chances of a response were small.

Dejected, Yunho got into his car and drove back home.

 


 

In his bedroom, curled up underneath the window with his arms around his knees, Jaejoong trembled as the tears he fought so hard to contain flowed freely down his cheeks. His chest was hurting so much and he had no idea how to numb the pain.

He heard the slam of a car door, the revving of an engine, and finally, of the car driving away.

“I-I-I love you too… Y-Yunho-ah…” he whispered, then hating himself for it. “B-But it hurts too much…”

 


 

In their little gang of five, Junsu often felt like the odd one out. Yunho and Jaejoong were a couple. Changmin had some sort of hero worship thing going on with Yunho who basked in the admiration. Jaejoong and Yoochun were best friends. And even Changmin sees Jaejoong as some type of mom-figure because the older could never deny his requests to cook his favorite food.

He didn’t hold a grudge, no, that wasn’t him. He just simply felt sad, sometimes. He wished that they would rely on him too. He was the most sensitive out of the five of them and he suspected that the other four simply didn’t want to burden him with worries.

So when Jaejoong found out that Yunho had cheated on him, Junsu was the last to know. He was told by Yoochun after Jaejoong called him.

Nonetheless, Junsu had immediately jumped in to comfort their oldest friend. Because Yoochun had been busy talking to the cheating bastard they had called their friend, Jaejoong had relied on him. And it had made him incredibly happy to be relied on.

He swore to himself, as he watched Jaejoong drown his sorrows in alcohol and crying, that he would make much more effort to be the reliable friend that the older deserved.

Which was why now, he was forming all sorts of plans in his head on how to get a tipsy Jaejoong home once he was done cry singing at the Noraebang booth they had rented for the past hour.

It was supposed to be a fun activity to help Jaejoong forget but Yunho’s appearance on the Kims’ front doorstep that morning had shattered him once more.

They had no idea what happened after they left that morning, but Junsu was sure that it was something that had shaken Jaejoong’s demeanor so much that he had only been singing sad and tragic ballads every time it was his turn.

And there he was again, passionately singing another one.

“Standing in silence, got nothing to say… There is no new path for me, because I can’t see the future.”

Yoochun leaned into Junsu. “After this, we’re going,” he whispered.

Junsu nodded in agreement, as he was filled with worry at Jaejoong’s emotional stability.

“I have go find a way to get out… We don’t know where we are… We are stuck in a hallucination.”

Then, suddenly, Jaejoong surprised them by jumping up on the table, the bottles of soju clinking at the impact.

Whippings became lonely… This bitter and bitter poison… Did you leave me here?... I don’t want to be crazy for long…. I want to live a long life.”

Junsu shot up and tried to grab the older by the arm and get him down from the table before he fell.

“Hyung, come down,” he pleaded, but Jaejoong brushed his hands away and continued to sing.

I saw it shining, you didn’t explain… You left without taking a break… You hurt me humorously and there’s no answer…”

Jaejoong’s voice began to break but did not relent as he clumsily danced out of Junsu and Yoochun’s reach.

“We don’t know where we are… We are only going against the hallucinations…”

To their utter shock, Jaejoong jumped off the table and back onto the floor. He landed clumsily on his feet and staggered towards the karaoke machine.

“Hyung!” Changmin screeched, eyes wide.

None of them had ever seen Jaejoong lose control like this.

“Whippings became lonely… This bitter and bitter poison… Did you leave me here?... Don’t know if I’ll be crazy for long.”

He sang through the “ooh ooh’s” with vigor, like a rockstar putting on a show for his audience. Even if that audience was behind him, frozen and helpless to do anything but watch and allow him to let out his frustrations through song.

Music was his first love after all.

“This bitter and bitter poison did you leave me here… Don’t know I’ll be crazy for long… Always beautiful… Always possible… Fighting loser, only seeing you magical… When will it break and shatter? We ripped out new solutions?”

Junsu had always thought that Jaejoong was most beautiful when he was singing. Even now, as he sang through this depressing rock ballad, the beauty of his voice paired with his face was breathtaking… yet, also heartbreaking as they finally glimpsed the tears streaming down his pale cheeks.

“Did you bring down this cold and cold star?... You think I’m gonna lose, oh… Did you bring down this cold and cold punishment?”

His voice now came out in gasps, as his shoulders shook and he missed the next couple of words as the sobs final took over.

But, he did manage to sing the last few lines.

“This bitter and bitter poison did you leave me here… I don’t want to be crazy for long… I want to live a long life…”

As the last notes ended, Jaejoong finally turned to look at them, smiling even through the wetness of his eyes and redness of his entire face.

“That was fun!” he piped. “Who’s next?”

Junsu slowly approached him to take the mic. “Hyung, we should probably head home now.”

The older pouted at that and under any other circumstances, it would have been amusing.

“But whyyyy?!?!” he whined as Changmin approached from his other side to take his arm. “I want to sing moreeeeee!”

“But, hyung, it’s getting really late now,” explained Changmin in the gentlest voice. “We want to get you home safe.”

“And you need to rest,” added Yoochun. “It was a long day.”

“But, Chunnie!”

“Come on, hyung, we can get ice cream on the way,” suggested Junsu as he took Jaejoong’s arm.

With a little more coercing and promises that they could sing more tomorrow, Jaejoong finally allowed Junsu and Changmin to tow him out of the booth. While Yoochun went to pay their bill and ask the woman there to call them a taxi, the youngest two maneuvered him to the entrance.

Knowing that they were going to drink that night, they had decided to take public transportation.

As they waited for Yoochun, Jaejoong was humming as he stared outside.

Junsu was simply watching him, afraid that he might collapse or suddenly strip out of his clothes (not the first time it has happened; a drunk Jaejoong was an uninhibited Jaejoong).

Suddenly, the older’s eyes widened and he began to tremble. Junsu followed his gaze and groaned in annoyance.

Yunho was outside.

Before he could stop him, Jaejoong had squared his shoulders and was marching outside of the Noraebang building and towards his fiancé.

In panic, Junsu and Changmin followed.

Yunho’s somber expression lit up. “Jae…”

Without saying a word, Jaejoong lifted a hand and slapped him, the “smack” echoing in the almost empty parking lot.

Junsu flinched. Violence had never been something he could easily stomach.

“I… I would punch you right now, but I think there’s three of you,” stated Jaejoong.

Yunho only smiled, sadly. “I wouldn’t blame if you did. In fact, I deserve it. You can punch me tomorrow, if you want.”

Instead, Jaejoong made a fist and hit the other’s chest. He seemed shocked at his own gesture, but then lifted his other first and hit Yunho with that too. A look of revelation took over his solemn expression and he hit the other again… and again… and again…

"I hate you... I hate you.... I hate you!"

Junsu watched in fascination as Jaejoong continued to hit Yunho, the latter taking it all in stride, not moving away as he sadly watched Jaejoong sob in between his hits.

Those two rarely fought. They loved each other so much that they often gave in to each other so quickly. This was probably the first major dispute they actually had that didn’t result in Jaejoong forgiving Yunho so easily. Although Junsu hoped that he wouldn’t, which was a rare thought for him.

He had always rooted for the two of them. Now, he couldn’t help but wonder if love was truly dead.

In his watching of the two, he didn’t notice Yoochun sidling up to him until the other spoke.

“What is he doing here? How did he find us?”

“I… I don’t know. But… we should probably stop them.”

Yoochun pursed his lips. “We should… but I think Jaejoong needs this too.”

They didn’t know how long it took but soon, Jaejoong’s hits had slowed. He was mostly sobbing now as Yunho gently held his arms, a very light hold, as if he was afraid that Jaejoong would break.

Too late for that.

Slowly, Jaejoong looked up and scrunched his face in confusion. To everyone’s surprise, he lifted a hand to caress Yunho’s cheek… over the bruise that Changmin had left that morning.

“You’re hurt,” he stated, worry evident in his tone. “Who did this?”

Junsu almost fell over in shock at the sudden turn of events.

Yunho took the hand on his cheek and it gently with a thumb. “It doesn’t matter. I deserve it.” He squeezed the other’s hand. “Jaejoong, I’m sorry.”

Those simple words seemed to have snapped Jaejoong from his worries as he violently tore his hand away from Yunho’s grasp and took several steps back before turning away.

“Jaejoong, I’m really sorry!”

In a scathing voice, Jaejoong hissed, “Don’t talk to me.”

“I’m sorry-.”

“Your sorry doesn’t do , Yunho! You cheated on me!”

The said one flinched, but refused to back down.

“Please, just talk to me. Just let me explain.”

“Jaejoong-ah,” Yoochun called. “The taxi is here. We should head home.”

“Jaejoong, please. Just five minutes, that’s all I need. Baby, please.”

Junsu was just about ready to grab his hyung and get him out of there, but something changed in Jaejoong’s expression.

Hesitation. He was hesitating.

“Hyung, let’s go home,” Junsu said to him, holding out a hand.

Changmin was doing the same.

Jaejoong looked at both and then turned to look at Yunho. The latter looked hopeful.

The older bit his lip before turning back to the three of them. “Go ahead, I’ll follow. Chunnie, can you ask the driver to wait 5 minutes?”

Yoochun scrunched his brows in confusion. “Jae-.”

“Just five minutes. I’ll be fine. Please.”

He turned to Yunho now.

“Alright. I’ll listen. You have five minutes, Jung.”

 


A/N: Ahhh, finally! A confrontation between the two! 

This chapter had shown Changmin and Junsu's perspective on the entire ordeal. Since I did one for Yoochun in the last chapter, I thought it was only fair that the other two get to share their thoughts as well. I'm not quite sure if I'll be showing any more points of views from others in future chapters. Perhaps, if the moment is right, I will. But, most of the story will alternate between Jaejoong and Yunho's point of views. 

A lot of people have asked me about the ending and all I have to say to that is... just ride it out for now. In every relationship that has experienced some type of infidelity, they don't really know the ending of their own story, whether they will still end up together or separate for their own good. What will stand out the most is what happens in between, how they felt, how they try to fix (or not fix) the relationship, and what they learn about themselves along the way. 

Personally, I think that's what makes these cheating stories so difficult to write because it could go so many different ways. I'm always up for that challenge.

As always, comments and thoughts are always welcome!