Chapter 1

All That Glitters

Jung Yunho was a bastard.

You didn’t have to tell him, oh, he knew it well. He was a bastard.

There he was, sitting in the on his bed while staring forlornly at the discarded blouse and lacy black bra on his bedroom floor, wondering once again why he let it go this far. It was his fifth mistake in the last 3 months since moving to Seoul.

Before, he had been a mere and simple Gwangju boy with big dreams of becoming a top-notch lawyer. He was a good and devoted son, a caring and understanding friend, and a faithful and loving boyfriend to the love of his life.

But now… now, he was an overworked intern at a Seoul law firm who rarely called his parents, haven’t heard from his friends in weeks, and occasionally cheated on his fiancé.

Sighing in resignation, he dressed in an old shirt and shorts before heading out of the bedroom.

He could hear the hustle and bustle in the kitchen and it made the sick feeling churning in his stomach increase, making him nauseous.

Not for the first time, he wished that it was someone else in there making breakfast.

And not for the first time, Yunho wondered how he got to this shameful point.

Who was he kidding? Of course he knew how! He had allowed this to happen after all…

Because he was weak. He was so weak…

 

 

 


 

 

 

Jung Yunho came from a respectable family of lawyers. Just like his parents before him, the eldest and only son aimed to become a reputable lawyer that the Jung family would be proud of.

He studied up, maintained his grades, and stayed on top throughout high school, which got him into Gwangju’s top law school. He continued his winning streak, earning high marks in all his classes while maintaining a decent social life that consisted of soccer, his 3 best friends, and of course, the love of his life.

Kim Jaejoong was, no doubt, the most beautiful human being in their small little town. Hell, in their entire district, if Yunho had anything to say about it. They had lived in the same block throughout their childhood and teen years. Their families were friendly with each other; the Kims ran a small restaurant that was a hot spot for many of the locals in town.

Yunho and Jaejoong literally grew up together. Even as a child, Yunho was fascinated by the feminine-looking boy. He seemed cold at first glance, but when you got to know him, he was bright and warm and happy. That was probably how Yunho’s fascination turned into a crush which then turned into infatuation and eventually, he fell in love with his childhood friend.

Now, Yunho had his fair share of girlfriends during their first year of high school, none serious, of course. Who could blame him? Girls just loved him. He was handsome, in a rugged sort of way. He was smart and athletic, the perfect combination. And he was just so damn nice! He just couldn’t say “no” whenever they asked to date him.

But, Jaejoong, his dearest best friend, was the only one he had actually asked out. He was the only one he went out of his way to prove to have actual feelings for.

“I-I-I really like you!” the 15-year-old him had stammered. Jaejoong’s doe eyes widened in surprise. “N-No… I… I think I love you, Jae-ah! You’re nice and fun to be around and your face is cute when you’re confused… Um… Date me?”

It wasn’t the most romantic of confessions nor did Yunho appeared the confident guy he usually was. He had been a bundle of nerves who stammered his words. Lucky for him, the other boy felt the same way.

They were their high school’s “It” couple until their graduation. So what if they were two guys? They were in love.

Though, it wasn’t without its challenges.

They had their fair share of homophobic bullying, but Yunho was a popular guy who had every teacher’s favor. They would defend him at all costs. And don’t even get them started on Jaejoong’s fangirls; they were viciously protective of the friendly boy who had the singing voice of an angel and made the best japchae during Home Economics. Not to mention, the other 3 guys in their social circle. Park Yoochun, Kim Junsu, and the youngest Shim Changmin would fight back tooth and nail if any of the bullies tried to pick on their beloved hyungs.

And thus, Yunho and Jaejoong survived high school just fine and unscathed.

Their biggest obstacle, though, was Yunho’s father. Mr. Jung was an old-fashioned man, set in his conservative ways and the thought of his son being in a relationship with another male was horrendous and a sin to him. Since Yunho was his only son, he needed him to continue the Jung line with offspring, something he could not do with Jaejoong.

“No son of mine is gay!” he had bellowed at the two cowering 18-year-olds who were finally brave enough to come out.

Yunho loved his father but he loved Jaejoong too. So, they fought back, together. They pushed and pushed until Mr. Jung begrudgingly accepted their relationship.

When Yunho graduated from law school and Jaejoong passed his license exams to become a music teacher, the former proposed. The latter accepted.

A month later, Yunho received an offer for an internship with a top law firm in Seoul. It was an excellent opportunity that everyone, including Jaejoong, urged him to accept.

“You can start making a name for yourself,” said the effeminate man with a bright smile.

“You’ll follow me after the summer?” Yunho asked him.

Jaejoong was in the midst of a summer gig with a local elementary school for their summer music program. It was great training for his future ambition to be a teacher.

The latter simply nodded. “As soon as I’m done here, I’ll look for a job in Seoul. So, you get our roots started there, okay? And I’ll take care of the wedding stuff here.”

So, Yunho did.

He moved into a simple one-bedroom apartment close to the law firm.

He and Jaejoong kept in touch with daily texts and weekly phone calls. His lovely fiancé encouraged him each time. He gave his all at work. Sure, the days were lonely sometimes, but he made friends with his neighbors. He was his usual charming and outgoing self.

He should have been more careful.

Han Jisoo lived down the hall. She was a university student. On the day Yunho moved in, she had brought him a bowl of jajangmyeon to welcome him into the building. He told her a bit about himself. She told him about herself. They formed a tentative friendship.

Jisoo knew about Jaejoong. She knew they were engaged. She knew Yunho loved him very much.

So why did she come to him one night, a month into him moving in, inviting him to drink because she saw her ex with his new girlfriend that day?

Did she figure out that Yunho, who could never say “no” to a woman’s tears, would let her into his apartment and allow her to pour him glass after glass of soju?

How did he allow her to get close to him? To touch him? To kiss him?

Maybe he really had been lonelier than he thought. He missed Jaejoong. He missed the warmth of another body against his. He missed the pressing of lips against his. And she smelled like vanilla... like his Jaejoong.

He was so weak.

When Yunho awoke the next morning, he was in bed, Jisoo sleeping, peacefully, next to him and equally .

He could have passed it off as a drunken mistake that first time.

But it happened again…

And again…

And again…

And again…

Yunho was wracked with guilt. He could barely speak to Jaejoong on the phone without being paranoid that his fiancé would somehow figure it out, simply from the tone of his voice. Yet, the other remained totally oblivious to Yunho’s infidelity. And it ate at him every single day he caught a glimpse of their couple ring, which never left his finger once.

He knew he had to break it off with Jisoo, whatever it was that they had. God knows he tried several times. But, then, she would cry. She would beg him not to leave her too. She didn’t care if she was the other woman, she just wanted to be with him. And then she would kiss him.

And then he would give in to his weakness.

There was no doubt that this weakness would be his doom.

 

 

 


 

 

 

Yunho entered the kitchen and watched for a moment as Jisoo made eggs. She beamed at him.

“Good morning! Breakfast will be ready soon!” she chirped.

But, Yunho couldn’t return her smile. “Go home,” he simply said.

She frowned at him. “Why?”

“This shouldn’t have happened.”

Jisoo scoffed. “That’s what you said last time. And the time before that. And the time before-.”

“Okay, I get it!” Yunho hissed, irritated. If he wasn’t such a gentleman, he would have dragged her out of his place himself and bolted the door. “Please, you can’t keep doing this…”

“Me?!” She glared at him in disbelief and Yunho looked away. “It takes two to tango, Yunho.”

“Because you keep coming on to me!”

“If you hate it, why do you keep letting me?”

At that, Yunho had no answer, for he had no idea himself.

Jisoo smirked at him. “That means you want it. That means you want this as much as I do. So, don’t bother giving me that crap again, Yunho. It’s getting old.”

Before Yunho could retort with a biting remark, the doorbell rang.

With one last frown at the woman in front of his kitchen stove, he turned away to answer the door.

He should have checked the peephole first.

“Babe!”

Familiar arms wrapped around his neck, his favorite scent of Jaejoong’s vanilla shampoo invading his senses. His own arms wrapped around the familiar tiny waist, hugging the slender form closer to him.

“J-Jae?” he whispered in disbelief.

Jaejoong pulled back a bit to smile brightly at him. “Surprise!” he said. “I know I should have called, but I missed you too much and I wanted to surprise you.”

“H-How did you get here?”

“Changmin drove me. He’s downstairs looking for parking. He should be up soon!”

Jaejoong reached out to his cheek and Yunho relished in the touch. He missed him so much.

“You’re still as handsome as ever,” his fiancé commented.

“So are you,” Yunho replied, taking the hand on his cheek to kiss it, tenderly. “I missed you.”

Jaejoong’s smile widened. “I missed-.”

“Yunho? Who’s at the door?”

Yunho’s happiness was shattered by raging panic and guilt. The reality of the situation settled on him, dashing his hopes for the future away. In his glee that his beloved fiancé was in his arms again, he forgot that his mistake was only a few feet away. He wracked his brains quickly to come up with an excuse.

Meanwhile, Jaejoong was trying to peek into the apartment. Yunho tried to turn the other’s gaze away but it was too late.

Jisoo had exited the kitchen, barefoot, holding a spatula, and wearing one of Yunho’s shirts. She froze.

Jaejoong’s breath hitched.

And Yunho was at his wit’s end trying to figure out what to say.

What did one say when his mistake was standing right there in front of the love of his life?

Could he lie? He had lied so much in the last 3 months. Could he cover it up with another lie?

“W-Who is she?” Jaejoong asked, forcing his frown into a smile that didn’t reach his ears.

Yunho wanted to say that she was just a neighbor. That there was nothing going on between them. She had only stayed the night because she got locked out. There was nothing between them.

But, Yunho also knew that Jaejoong was smart. And furthermore, he could read Yunho like a book.

He had probably already picked up on Yunho’s nervousness, the twitching of his fingers, the silence at his question, how his eyes traveled back and forth between Jaejoong and the girl.

Jisoo, herself, shifted uncomfortably under Jaejoong’s cold gaze.

“Yunho,” the latter said, his voice as biting as a winter chill. “You haven’t answered me. Who is she?”

And just like that, Yunho cracked.

“I… I can explain…”

Jaejoong set his eyes on him. Yunho’s explanation caught in his throat as those beautiful, cold eyes settled on him.

“Explain what?” He looked at the girl again then Yunho. “Please tell me this isn’t what I’m thinking. Yunho… you didn’t.”

“J-Jaejoong, I…”

He froze again, not entirely sure what to say next. He knew he had to confess. That was the only way. His Jaejoong could still forgive him if he told him the truth now…right?

Once again, his fear silenced him.

But, that was all the answer Jaejoong needed.

With one last glare at the frozen girl inside the apartment, Jaejoong his heels and quickly ran.

“Jaejoong!”

Yunho chased after him and caught his arm just as the other had opened the door to the back staircase.

“Jae, let me explain-.”

“Yes, please explain the reason why there is a half-dressed girl in your apartment, Jung Yunho!”

He flinched at the bitter poison enlaced in those words.

“And it better be the truth! I don’t want lies, Yunho!”

“I… J-Jaejoong…” Yunho’s heart was pounding painfully against his chest, but he couldn’t seem to find the right words to say.

Jaejoong deserved an explanation. Yet, why couldn’t he say a damn word?!

“Answer me this, Jung Yunho.”

He looked up to meet his fiance’s eyes. The hurt and unshed tears were evident in those beautiful eyes, stabbing Yunho’s heart even more as the guilt slowly consumed him.

“Did you sleep with that girl?”

Yunho swallowed the lump in his throat. He found himself nodding in answer.

The stinging slap that Jaejoong bestowed on him was nothing compared to the tears now freely flowing down the other’s cheeks.

“I hate you!”

Without another word, Jaejoong turned away from him and ran down the stairs.

Yunho was frozen on his spot, stunned and beyond sorry. He wanted to follow his fiancé but found himself unable to move. He knew he deserved that slap. He deserved the hateful words. He was despicable.

This was why Jung Yunho was a bastard.

He had done the one thing he always swore he would never do.

He broke Jaejoong’s heart.

 


A/N: And that's the first chapter! It's mostly intro for now, setting the stage, so to speak. I'm still figuring out exactly how to go about this story, but I have a vague idea of what I want to happen... unless, of course, the characters take me to a completely different turn, but I'll figure it out as I go along!

Thank you for reading!