Epilogue

All That Glitters

The usually quiet apartment was boisterous and noisy. Christmas decorations, streamers, and various types of confetti littered the entire living room. On the dining table, laid heaps of food and drink. On the T.V., words faded in and out, accompanied by enthusiastic singing, though a little off-key.

Yunho laughed at Junsu’s attempt at a high note with his screeching dolphin voice. Around the doctor were their other friends, who have come all the way from Gwangju to celebrate the New Years with him. Sunggyu was also there, a giggling and clapping Myungsoo sitting on his lap.

Leaving them to their fun, Yunho headed for the kitchen. The scent of cooking food hit his nostrils before he even entered. It smelt heavenly. He leaned against the doorframe, taking his time to admire the view.

Jaejoong was on a roll, cooking like a maniac. His sleeves were rolled up, his hands swift and adept as he chopped, stirred, and plated food. If he wasn’t a teacher, Yunho believed he would have been an excellent chef.

He waited until the other was no longer holding a knife before walking over and wrapping his arms around the slim waist.

Jaejoong twitched slightly before turning his head. “Yah! I could have hit you with this!”

He raised the ladle he had in his hand, threateningly. It was so cute that Yunho had to lean over and peck his nose. Jaejoong scrunched his nose. Yunho laughed before kissing his cheek and nuzzling into his neck.

He knew he was being clingy, but could you blame him? His boyfriend was so darn cute.

“Yah! Stop being gross! We have work to do!” Woohyun shrieked from the other side of the kitchen.

Yunho turned his head to the chef and grinned. “You’re just jealous ‘cause Sunggyu is too busy watching over your kid.”

Childishly, Woohyun stuck his tongue out before going back to making his dumplings. “It just goes to show that he’s a good father if he can resist his handsome and y husband in the kitchen wearing an apron.”

Jaejoong chuckled as Yunho tightened his grip on his waist. He lifted the ladle and carefully brought it to Yunho’s lips so he could taste the spicy beef soup.

“How is it?” he asked.

Jaejoong knew his tastes; the soup wasn’t too spicy and had just the right kick.

“Perfect.”

Jaejoong beamed. “This is almost ready then.”

Yunho stayed there, attached to Jaejoong’s waist as he waited for the soup to simmer before transferring it to a huge bowl. They moved to the side so Jaejoong could finish chopping the vegetables for his japchae while Woohyun took over on the stove to fry his dumplings.

“It smells great in here!”

Sunggyu entered, his nose high in the air as he sniffed. Without another word, he went to Woohyun and wrapped his arms around the younger’s waist, tucking his head on top of his shoulder, his eyes practically shining as he gazed at the fried dumplings.

Woohyun turned in Yunho’s direction with a smug smile.

“Gyu-ah, you can’t resist me in an apron, right?” he said to his husband, sweetly.

Sunggyu absentmindedly nodded, eyes still on the frying pan.

Yunho laughed at the scene. They were an odd couple… but cute. Their public displays of affection could rival Yunho and Jaejoong's own. But, no, it wasn't a competition. Except maybe for when they wanted to annoy their still single friends. 

He turned back to paying attention to Jaejoong, kissing the back of his head as he watched. The other lifted a sliced carrot and wordlessly popped it into Yunho’s mouth. From the corner of his eye, Yunho could see Woohyun sneaking Sunggyu a piece of fried dumpling too.

“Ugh, gross!”

Both couples turned around to see a disgusted Changmin at the doorway. The young professor narrowed his eyes at them.

“Oh, so those two get fed while I’m not allowed to touch any of the food on the table?” he said, snarkily and with a small pout. “No fair.”

“They’re just taste-testing,” Woohyun answered, calmly as he plated some of the cooked dumplings. He handed it to his husband, who looked confused. “Make yourself useful and bring this to the table, please?”

Sunggyu pouted then grinned. “What’s in it for me?”

Woohyun rolled his eyes and pecked his lips. “Now, go.”

Sunggyu happily walked past Changmin, carrying the plate. When Woohyun’s back was turned, he sneakily handed a piece to the young professor, who immediately popped it into his mouth and followed the high school teacher out, satisfied at the treat.

Yunho pretended not to see

Meanwhile, in his arms, Jaejoong turned around. “Can you bring the soup to the table too, please?”

Yunho smiled. “Do I get a reward?”

Jaejoong raised an eyebrow. “Yes. You get to eat.”

He picked up the bowl and handed it to the other. Yunho pouted but obediently took it out of the kitchen to the dinner table. But, he caught the sparkle in those brown doe eyes. He was definitely going to be rewarded for helping later.

It took another half hour for all the food to be ready and by that time, everyone was hungry. As soon as they all said their thanks, they dug in. Enthusiastic chewing and praise for the two chefs filled the table. The significant others of said chefs beamed with pride.

After dinner, there was more karaoke as they waited for midnight to hit and fireworks to start. As the best singer of the bunch, Jaejoong was implored to sing.

Yunho had always loved listening to Jaejoong sing. It was one of his favorite things about him: his voice. It could comfort him in his darkest of moods, lifting his spirits. Whenever Jaejoong sang for him, he could feel his heart, his love. And he could feel it now, as the music teacher caught his eye at the last few verses.

“Stand by me by me, always together by me, my baby hold me now forever… Why is my heart beating like this, you better trust me now… I will always protect you…”

Their friends hooted and cheered. Sunggyu was next and Myungsoo insisted on singing with his Appa.

While they all shouted out song suggestions for the high school teacher and his son, Yunho took Jaejoong’s hand and led him away from their boisterous friends, who paid them no mind. Jaejoong followed without question as Yunho led him into his bedroom and shut the door.

The teacher raised an eyebrow. “We are not having a quickie with our friends outside, Jung Yunho,” he stated.

Yunho chuckled and shook his head. “We can save that for later when they’re all asleep,” he said, winking.

Jaejoong turned red but managed to laugh anyway, shaking his head.

“I… just wanted a moment alone with you,” Yunho continued. “I want to give you something.”

Feeling a little nervous now, he cleared his throat as he reached for the little black box in his pocket.

Jaejoong’s breath hitched at the sight of it. “You’re… not proposing to me, are you?” he said, sounding unsure.

As much as Yunho wanted to do that, he knew that Jaejoong wasn’t ready for that kind of commitment. Neither of them were. They were starting over again. And if there was anything Yunho learned after everything that happened is that these things took time and patience. That day would come, eventually.

He shook his head and smiled at Jaejoong in reassurance. “No, I’m not. Not yet. But, I do want to make a vow.”

Jaejoong gave him a confused but amused look in response, but didn’t say anything.

Yunho took that time to take a deep breath and open the box. Inside were two white gold rings. Their rings.

“You already know I kept these, right?” he said and Jaejoong nodded.

The blonde had told him that seeing the rings on his dresser that day many months ago triggered his eventual confession of love. Yunho owed a lot to these rings.

He took another deep breath. “When you… left… I almost threw these out,” he began, heart pounding in his chest. “If Yoochun hadn’t stopped me, I would have lost them. And… I’m glad I held on to them all these years.” He sighed. “While we were apart, whenever I missed you or felt like I couldn’t go on without you, I took these rings out and just looked at them. Then, I would remember all of our good memories. They gave me strength. These rings were a reminder of what I had and what I had lost. They were a reminder of why I needed to change and be a better man, so that someday, if I ever see you again and get another chance, I can be the man you deserve.”

In front of him, Jaejoong was smiling, his doe eyes shining with unshed tears.

Yunho swallowed before taking out one of the rings and holding it out to him. “Will you… wear this again? Now that you’ve given me a chance, I vow to love and treasure you in the way you deserve, more than I ever did in the past. I don’t want to forget our past, but I want to build a new future with you. So… Jaejoongie… will you indulge your fool of a boyfriend and wear this ring again as a symbol of our new promise for the future?”

No amount of careful preparation and rehearsal can prepare him for the nerves as he waited for Jaejoong’s answer.

The blonde was staring at the ring, head tilted to the side, contemplating.

Then, he smiled and raised his hand. “Put it on me?” he asked.

Yunho released the breath he had been holding as the heavy weight on his shoulders lifted.

Happily, he took Jaejoong’s hand in his and slid the ring into his finger. It still fit, like it always had.

Without a word, Jaejoong took the box from him and took out the other ring.

“I’ll make a vow too,” he said, doe eyes connecting with his. “Yunho, all my life, I have loved you and only you. Leaving you was so painful for me. You’ve told me that when I left Gwangju, I took your heart with me. Now, I’m telling you that when I left Gwangju, I left my heart with you. And it was one of the hardest things I had to do. But, seeing the man you have become in our years apart, it made me fall in love with you all over again.”

Yunho’s heart swelled at the words.

“We’ve gone through so much, the two of us. I vow to continue to treasure you and love you in this second chance that we have. Now that, I, too, became someone whom you deserve, I won’t ever let you go again.”

With those last words, Jaejoong slipped the ring into Yunho’s finger. And just like its partner, the ring fit.

Yunho wasted no time in pulling Jaejoong into his arms and planting a kiss on his lips. The blonde responded, immediately, the box falling to the floor as he wrapped his arms around Yunho’s neck. Just like their rings, their lips fit each other like the perfect puzzle piece.

It felt like they had just made their wedding vows. And Yunho knew that someday, they would be able to say these words in front of a crowd and a pastor. But, for now, this secret promise to each other was enough. It was more than enough.

When they pulled apart, Jaejoong pressed his forehead against his. “I love you, Yunho,” he said, eyes sparkling with adoration.

Yunho hoped that his own affections were reflected in his eyes too as he responded, “I love you, Jaejoong.”

Jaejoong pressed a quick peck on his lips before chuckling. “Now that I have a ring, maybe Myungsoo’s piano teacher can stop hitting on me.”

At that, Yunho’s eyes narrowed. “He’s hitting on you?!”

Jaejoong chuckled again before giving him another kiss to appease him. “He hits on every good-looking parent or guardian that drops his students off. Don’t worry, I explicitly told him that I was already seeing someone. Someone very manly. And y to boot.”

“Good.”

Jaejoong grinned, mischievously. “You should drop off Myungsoo one of these days. Maybe seongsaenim will hit on you too.”

Yunho scrunched up his nose. “No, thanks. I told you, I have a type. A very specific type.”

“Oh? And what type was that again?”

Yunho smirked. “He’s cold when you first meet him, but really warm when you get to know him.” He kissed Jaejoong’s nose. “He’s a really good cook who knows my tastes very well.” He kissed his cheek. “He’s an amazing singer.” He kissed the other cheek. “He’s very passionate about everything, and I mean everything.” He kissed his chin. “And his name is Kim Jaejoong.” He kissed his lips.

Jaejoong laughed into the kiss.

Kissing Jaejoong would never get tiring. And he was sure that the sentiment was shared as the blonde passionately returned each of his kisses with so much love and affection. They may have lost five years, but they have an entire lifetime to make it up to each other.

“Samchon-deul!”

Myungsoo’s little voice outside the door forced them to part, reluctantly.

“The fireworks are gonna start! Come out! Come out!”

“We’ll be there, Myungie!” Jaejoong called out before turning to Yunho and straightening his collar and brushing off the lint on his clothes. “Shall we go, babe?” he asked, cutely.

Yunho chuckled and kissed his nose before nodding. “Let’s go.”

They joined the rest of their friends in the living room. It was two minutes left before midnight. They passed around glasses of champagne (and a glass of sparkling water for Myungsoo), waiting for the final countdown.

And when the sky lit up with bright colors to welcome the New Year, Yunho turned to Jaejoong. The blonde was already looking at him with a loving smile. They kissed, sealing their vow.

Their future starts now.

 


A/N: And that’s that! Thank you so much for reading and supporting my very first YunJae fanfic!

So I was looking through the comments and lo and behold, something caught my eye. Remember when I spoke about a "critique" I got around the time I posted Chapter 8? The same person commented again, and the same thing too (basically, about them not reading my story and assuming things about my plot and how overused it is and yada yada yada). Anyway, I got suspicious since the tone and writing seemed familiar so I looked back and found that first comment from before and awwwwwww… you guys! Some of you defended me! That’s the sweetest! I’d like to take this time to thank you and I’m so sorry I didn’t see your comments before!

Shout out to amarante7, SummerSky, kiramia28, and my WooGyu bestie nwh-gem! You guys have no idea how happy that made me! It’s readers like you who make me want to keep writing fics and sharing stories. Don’t worry, guys, nothing can make me back down! It's not my first rodeo nor will it be the last!

And to that commenter, if you’re reading this because you finally decided to take my advice and read before making a judgment, thank you for giving this a chance! If you hated it, that’s fine too, we all can’t like everything. What matters is that we gave it a shot! (Lol why do I sound like Yunho whenever he gives his pep talks?)

Anyway, update on my next fic. Unfortunately, it won’t be YunJae. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m originally a WooGyu author. I decided to dabble in YunJae after my hubby Yunho got back from the military. But, now, I must go back to my roots for a while. I have an infidelity story for my WooGyu readers planned, though it would probably be less dramatic than this one (or about the same, depends on what I end up with but I already have the entire plot in my head lol). So, if you’re into WooGyu, I’m inviting you to check it out!

Again, thank you so, so, so, so very much!

Love you guys! Always keep the faith!