Chapter 14

All That Glitters

Before he knew it, Christmas season was upon them.

Yunho felt a strange sense of déjà vu as he got his apartment ready for his guests. It was his first Christmas in his new home in Jeonju, so he had invited Yoochun, Changmin, and Junsu over to spend the holiday; they were sleeping over as well. Coming for Christmas dinner was, of course, Jaejoong, Sunggyu, Woohyun, and Myungsoo.

It had been several months since he had last seen his friends and he was fairly sure it was about the same or more for Jaejoong. It would be nice to get together like old times again.

Because, truly, he and Jaejoong were simply friends now. He had promised not to pursue him or start anything else between them and he was sticking to it. It was difficult because he still loved Jaejoong and wanted nothing more than to show that love. But, he respected the blonde. They were just starting over again after the mess he created that ruined them. He wasn’t about to mess it up again by forcing a romance.

Besides, he didn’t know if Jaejoong still loved him or not. He didn’t even know if he had been forgiven.

His friends arrived just a little after lunch. When Yunho opened the door, they had enveloped him in hugs, asking after his well-being.

“Hyung, we thought you’d disappear on us forever!” Junsu said, grinning teasingly.

The young doctor had lost some weight, dark circles under his eyes prominent from long hours in the hospital. Nonetheless, he still had a bright disposition, just as he always had.

“Yeah, hyung, you’re barely home,” added Changmin as he looked around. “Nice place. A real Bachelor pad you have here.”

Within five years, the maknae had lost all of his boyish charms, appearing manlier and more mature as his attitude. Still, though, he still had that mischievous spark in his eyes, as he smirked at Yunho.

Meanwhile, Yoochun was simply smiling at him in a friendly manner. Out of the three of them, Yunho had kept in touch with Yoochun the most, mostly because he wasn’t as swamped nor as busy as the other two. Then again, it was mostly Yoochun who would reach out to ask how he was. Yunho sometimes felt guilty that he rarely reciprocated the gesture.

“So, when is Jae getting here?” he asked as Yunho showed them to the guest room to drop off their luggage.

He only had one other empty room, so most likely, they would all end up on his living room floor.

“He said he’ll be here in about two hours,” Yunho answered. “He and Woohyun are cooking up a storm.”

“I still can’t believe that Sunggyu is gay too,” Changmin said, thoughtfully. “And married with a kid to boot.”

“What’s this Woohyun like?” Junsu asked, curiously.

“Hmm… he’s very… perky,” Yunho replied, thinking back on the second time he met the young chef. He had been bright, shaking Yunho’s hand so enthusiastically that Yunho thought it would fall off. “And greasy. Totally opposite of Sunggyu. But, for some reason, they fit.”

“Just like you and Jae-hyung back in the day,” Changmin said absentmindedly.

Junsu elbowed him with a glare. But, Yunho didn’t take offense. In fact, his lips quirked into a smile a bit.

Those two did remind him a little of him and Jaejoong in their early days. Always all over each other. Practically glued to each other’s side. Happy and with no care for everyone else’s opinion.

He was glad those two were able to make it work and have a kid too.

While Junsu and Changmin busied themselves with exploring Yunho’s apartment, Yoochun stuck to his side. Yunho expected this talk, so he was well-prepared.

They were in the kitchen, preparing some of the food Yunho’s mother sent over. He still couldn’t cook to save his life.

“So, things are going well with you and Jae?” Yoochun asked, casually.

“Yeah, things are good,” Yunho answered, honestly and with a smile.

“So… is there any chance…” Yoochun let the statement hang.

Yunho could only keep smiling. “We’re starting over as friends. I’m not expecting more than that.”

“But… you want to, right?”

Figures, Yoochun always saw right through him.

“I still love him,” Yunho admitted. “And I want that more than anything. But… I’m not going to beg him for another chance. I’m not the same guy I was five years ago, Yoochun. I won’t put him in that position again.”

Yoochun quietly patted his arm. “You’ve changed a lot, Jung Yunho. I’m proud.”

Laughing, Yunho playfully swatted him away. “You’re just happy I stopped spilling my heart out to you every time you called!”

“That too!”

For the next two hours, the four friends continued to get everything ready for Christmas dinner.

When Jaejoong and the Kim-Nam family arrived, there were plenty of hugs exchanged and introductions and how-do-you-dos.

The first item of topic was Jaejoong’s blonde hair. There were so much teasing and touching of said blonde hair and a lot of, “Yah! Don’t touch my hair!”

Yunho’s apartment had never been this loud since the first day he moved in and he was quite happy about it. The atmosphere was bright and lively.

Dinner was much the same: loud, boisterous, and full of teasing.

The other three Gwangju men bombarded Sunggyu with questions to their heart’s content about his marriage, revealing all the embarrassing things they remembered from his short visit to their home when they were kids to Woohyun. Plus, they adored Myungsoo, who basked in the attention of so many adults.

During the entire night, Yunho barely had an opportunity to talk with Jaejoong. Changmin, Yoochun, and Junsu wouldn’t let him out of their sight. The other three hadn’t seen him in so long so they missed him, hoarding all of the oldest man’s attention.

So, he had opted for just watching them interact, settling himself on a chair at the dining table after dinner. The others were scattered all over the living room floor, playing with the video games Changmin and Junsu brought.

After some time, a bored Myungsoo had crawled onto his lap, his tiny legs hanging off the sides of Yunho’s thighs.

“Yunho-samchon, when can we play soccer again?” the kid asked, pouting slightly.

Yunho chuckled as he ruffled the kid’s curly hair. “It’s still too cold out to play. But, don’t worry, samchon will take you to a gym one of these days and we can play, okay? We can bring your Papa too!”

The little boy brightened up, immediately. “What about Appa?”

“Sure! We’ll bring him too!”

“And Jae-samchon?”

“Of course! We’ll make a date out of it!”

Myungsoo pursed his lips, head tilted to the side. “Papa said dates are what adults do when they like each other. That’s why he and Appa always go on one.”

At that, Yunho chuckled. “Well, yes, but dates can just be friends spending time together too.”

“Oh… So, do you think Yeollie will go on a date with me?”

Yunho chuckled again. “Yeollie” was Lee Sungyeol, Myungsoo’s best friend in school. “Of course he will, if you ask him, nicely.”

“I will!” Myungsoo smiled, excitedly. “Yunho-samchon?”

“Hmm?”

“Will you go on a date with Jae-samchon too?”

Eyes widening at Myungsoo’s innocent question, Yunho’s head instinctively jerked over to where Jaejoong was sitting on the floor in front of the T.V., enthusiastically playing a racing game against Changmin. Seeing the blonde laughing warmed Yunho’s heart and made it skip a beat.

“He might not want to,” he sadly admitted to the 7-year-old.

“But, why not? Don’t you like each other?”

“Yah, why are you so nosy?” Yunho laughed, ruffling the boy’s hair again.

Eventually, he managed to steer the conversation away from dates to more kid-friendly topics like cartoons, cats, and his Papa’s yummy cakes.

The night eventually came to an end and Sunggyu and Woohyun got ready to leave, Myungsoo fast asleep in Woohyun’s arms. He had passed out sometime after talking about how his best friend Yeollie’s hair was so fluffy and soft like a puppy's (the kid's words, not his). It was almost eleven, way past the boy’s bedtime.

To Yunho’s surprise, Jaejoong asked if he could stay the night with the rest of them.

“I had a great time catching up with the guys,” he told Yunho, shyly. “I missed them a lot so… if it’s okay with you… do you think I could stay too?”

Who was Yunho to say “no” to that?

The five friends stayed up late into the night, talking, laughing and reminiscing about the old days.

Once again, it felt like déjà vu as the youngest three were the first to fall asleep, leaving Yunho and Jaejoong still awake, talking and drinking the last of their beer. They sat on opposite ends of Yunho’s couch, facing each other. At some point, they fell into a comfortable silence.

With the lights turned off, the only illumination came from the street lamps outside streaming through the windows.

Yunho couldn’t help but observe Jaejoong at this time, making out his silhouette in the darkness

The blonde’s face was red and flushed from the alcohol, but he wasn’t quite drunk. A truly drunk Jaejoong would be dancing and singing all over the place before crashing. Or talking his ears off about anything that came to mind. A drunk Jaejoong was also touchy with anyone in the vicinity. And sometimes liked to strip.

At that moment, he was fully-clothed and calmly sitting. That was how Yunho knew he wasn’t drunk. Maybe a little tipsy.

Yunho, himself, quite far from being drunk. He knew himself when he had alcohol. He was playing it safe tonight.

“This feels a little familiar,” Jaejoong suddenly commented, as he looked around at their friends scattered on the floor on various blankets.

“Glad I’m not the only one who noticed,” Yunho said, grinning. “Don’t worry, I’m on my best behavior tonight.”

Jaejoong smiled, slightly. “I appreciate that.”

Silence again.

“Yunho?”

“Hmm?”

“Do you ever wonder what our life would have been like if… the things that happened… didn’t happen?”

As a matter of fact, Yunho had thought about it a number of times. What if he never moved to Seoul? What if he never strayed? What if he hadn’t been so weak? What if he had given Jaejoong the time away from him that he had deserved back then?

He dreamt about it sometimes, the what-could-have-been. But, that was all it was now…a dream.

“I think we’d be like Woohyun and Sunggyu,” he admitted, smiling fondly as he thought of the couple. “Nothing could break those two apart.”

Jaejoong nodded in agreement. “You’re right. Maybe we could have adopted a kid too, then Myungsoo would have a cousin.”

Yunho’s heart ached with longing. “Yeah… It would have been nice.”

Jaejoong raised his head and made eye contact. “Do you still love me, Yunho?”

Yunho’s heart just about stopped beating at the question. Was Jaejoong actually drunk? Why was he even asking such a question?

The blonde must have seen his hesitation as he shook his head and looked away. “Never mind, you don’t have to answer.”

Yunho tilted his head to the side. “Jae?”

“Hmm?” Jaejoong couldn’t look at him.

“Are you still angry with me?”

This time, Jaejoong looked up. He looked thoughtful, seeming to contemplate his answer. “I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t,” he said in a quiet voice.

Yunho’s heart sunk at that. Of course, what did he expect? That Jaejoong’s anger would have faded just like that? Yes, he had hoped that it did. But, he couldn’t blame the other either.

“But, I’ve made peace with it,” Jaejoong continued. “I told you before, all those years ago, that I was tired of being angry. It made me… someone whom I wasn’t.” He sighed. “I couldn’t recognize myself. I’ve never been violent, you know that. And yet, I physically raised my hand to a woman… to you… that wasn’t me, Yunho. That’s why… I had to get away… So I didn’t hurt you anymore.”

“If it makes you feel better, your slaps and punches didn’t hurt much,” Yunho said, trying to make light of the situation.

It worked as Jaejoong’s lips quirked into an amused smile and he chuckled.

“But… they were warranted,” Yunho continued. “So, don’t apologize for that.” He hesitated before deciding to take the plunge. “And to answer your question… Yes, I do still love you. No matter what happened to us, I still love you. That won’t ever change, Jaejoong.”

It was the first time he had admitted it since they made amends. And he realized that no matter how hard he tried, he would truly never love anyone as much as Jaejoong. He had given up his heart to the other years ago. And when he left Yunho, he had taken it with him.

Jaejoong looked torn. He stared back at Yunho, unable to find a response to his confession.

“I… I don’t… I…”

Yunho nodded. “You don’t know, I understand. To be honest, I don’t expect you to come running back to me right at this second. But, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t hoping that I could get you back. That you could allow me to love you again and you’d love me back.”

Jaejoong bit his lip as he turned his head away.

Yunho had already confessed. He might as well go all the way now. What else was he to lose? He supposed he could always blame it on alcohol.

“Will you go out with me, Jaejoong?” he bravely asked.

Jaejoong jerked his head back around, his eyes wide in shock. For a few moments, he could only stare at Yunho, conflicted feelings flashing across his face.

“I… I don’t know if I’m ready,” he admitted.

Yunho smiled, sadly. “I figured.” He sighed.

“I’m not saying ‘no’,” Jaejoong said, quickly. “I’m just saying that… I don’t know right now. I might have to think about it.”

Another spark of hope lit up in Yunho, but there was also a lingering doubt. The last time he had allowed himself to hope, Jaejoong had shattered his heart. Could he take that risk again? Was he brave enough to handle that heartbreak again?

As he looked at Jaejoong, looked at the way those beautiful eyes gazed upon him, filled with gentle affection. Perhaps, he could allow himself to hope… just one last time.

He cleared his throat. “Well… How about this? Someday, a long time from now, I’ll ask you that question again. If you say ‘yes’, I’ll be the happiest man in the world. I’ll treasure you more than my own life and I won’t ever take you for granted. But, if you say ‘no’, then that’s that. I won’t pursue you anymore and I won’t ask you anymore. Because, Jajeoong, all I’ve ever wanted is for you to be happy. And if your happiness is not with me, then I’m willing to let you go without any more regrets.”

It broke his heart saying those words, but he knew they were needed. After seeing how Jaejoong had been faring in their years apart, he had done well for himself without Yunho. He had fulfilled his dreams and managed to find his own happiness.

Who was Yunho to hold him back with new promises of love after he had broken the first one?

In front of him, Jaejoong continued to look conflicted as he bit his lip, a nervous habit he had not grown out of. Yunho longed to taste those lips again but he had no right. He lost that right years ago.

“Okay,” Jaejoong finally said in a soft tone. “But, on one condition.”

Yunho nodded.

“I get to decide when you ask me.”

Yunho nodded again.

To his surprise, Jaejoong raised his hand and held out his pinky to him. Chuckling lightly, Yunho held out his own pinky and they linked them, sealing the deal.

They were silent for the rest of the night, long after the clock struck midnight and Christmas had ended.

Jaejoong fell asleep on the couch, his head resting on the armrest. Yunho covered him with a blanket before settling to sleep on the floor beside Changmin.

The only thoughts running through his head as he laid there was that Jaejoong had rekindled his hope. But, what did that mean for them? What did it mean for their friendship? Was he allowed to show Jaejoong how much he loved him?

But, what if that only pushed the other away from him?

He pondered on these thoughts until he, too, finally fell into dreamland.

 


 

Due to the request (demands) of his mother, Yunho went home to Gwangju for New Year’s.

Jihye was also home and the two siblings spent their first day back catching up. It turns out that the young woman’s travels had proven fruitful as she made various connections and gotten job offers along the way. Yunho told her about his move, his new job, and of course, how he and Jaejoong met again.

As soon as she heard, she squealed with excitement, like she was a teenager again.

“Oppa! This is fate! You and Jaejoong-oppa are meant to be! You’re going to get married and I’ll finally be related to him!”

Yunho mussed up her hair in response. “What part of ‘we are just friends’ did you not get, you little brat?”

“I’m not a brat!” Jihye ran her hands through her hair, fixing what her brother had messed up.

Sometimes, Yunho wished that his sister had remained a kid. Seeing her as a young woman about to go into the workforce just made him feel so old. People his age were all getting married and starting families, yet here he was, still pining for a childhood love.

But, it wasn’t like he could force his heart to stop loving. Perhaps, this was his fate, after all. Forever a Bachelor.

“Oppa, I’m willing to bet that Jae-oppa still loves you,” Jihye said, smiling sincerely at him.

Yunho chuckled. “Even if he does, I think I’ve hurt him far too much to hope for a second chance.” He smiled, sadly. “I’ve made my peace with it, dongsaeng. I’m satisfied just staying by his side as a friend.”

“But, aren’t you going to fight for him?” Jihye insisted. “You love each other.”

“What I’ve learned over the years, Jihye, is that sometimes, love is just not enough. Just because you love each other doesn’t mean things will automatically just work out in your favor. It’s not that simple. I love Jaejoong, but if he’s not ready to love me again, then I can’t force him. That was my mistake all those years ago. I forced him to love me when he clearly wasn’t ready. I’m not making that mistake again.”

He ruffled her hair again, a bit more gently this time. “I’ll fight for Jaejoong,” he announced. “But if he tells me he’s done fighting, then I’ll lay down my arms too.”

Jihye’s eyes widened in surprise. “So… you’re going to let him go? Just like that?”

Instead of answering, he just patted her shoulder and stood up. “I’m gonna go see if Umma needs help with anything.”

With that, he left his shocked sister there.

He wasn’t really surprised by her reaction. The girl had rooted for them for so long. In fact, she always made sure to express her displeasure at their father’s attempts to set him up on dates. Speaking of which, it was only a matter of time until his father brought up another date to set up.

He may have stopped for a while, but they came from a stubborn family. Unless his father himself said that he would stop, the dates were still inevitable.

Just as he predicted, his father brought it up after dinner, when they were sitting in the kitchen and drinking soju.

“Yuri is the daughter of Mr. Kwon, you remember him, right? We’ve worked on a few cases together. He mentioned to me that she was still single, graduated from law school last year and working at a private practice in Seoul. I can arrange for a meeting-.”

“Appa,” Yunho interrupted, gently. “You know that I’m not going to go. Are you really going to leave another poor woman hanging?”

“Yunho, it’s been five years,” his father insisted. “You’re not getting any younger. At your age, I was already married to your Umma and had you.”

“I’m not in a rush.”

“But, you’re at that age-.”

“Appa, I’ve made my decision. I’m not going to date anyone that you or anyone else chooses for me. If I want to go on a date, it will be under my terms.”

Finally, his father sighed, finally giving up and dropping the subject. They continued to drink in silence.

This was one of the reasons why he rarely went home. Yunho was well aware of the drill by now. His father would meet up with colleagues, they would talk about daughters/nieces/neighbor’s cousin’s daughters, and then he would attempt to get Yunho to go on a date with them. It was beginning to get old.

“I heard from your Umma that Jaejoong lives in Jeonju now,” his father suddenly said, an eyebrow raised. “Could he be, perhaps, the reason why you won’t even meet Yuri?”

It wasn’t like Yunho could lie about it. His feelings for Jaejoong had always been well-known. “Partly,” he answered, honestly. “But, even if Jaejoong and I didn’t meet again, I still wouldn’t meet your friend’s daughter, Appa.”

Mr. Jung sighed. “Why do I even try?”

Yunho smirked a little. “I don’t know why, but I think you should stop.”

“Are you two getting back together?”

At that, Yunho could only look away, a finger tracing the rim of his soju glass. “We’re just friends now.”

“You don’t sound like someone who is satisfied with just friendship.”

Yunho paused, his mind swirling with emotions.

“Appa, I still love him,” he confessed. “But, after everything we’ve gone through because of my mistakes… getting back together is the last thing I expect. Right now, being friends is enough. And I’m happy, truly. Just having him back in my life again, it’s more than enough.” He sighed. “I’m satisfied if he’s happy with his life, even if it’s not with me.”

At first, his father could only look at him with a thoughtful gaze, as if examining him through different eyes.

“You’ve changed,” Mr. Jung finally said. “Before, you’d be reckless, going after Jaejoong like he was your lifeline. And now… Now, I think you’ve shown how much he actually means to you.”

Yunho’s brows furrowed. “I don’t understand.”

Mr. Jung leaned back in his chair, his expression wistful. “You know, when that boy first left you five years ago, I was pretty shocked. I didn’t think he had it in him to leave you. That was when I realized that maybe I misjudged him and his feelings for you, that it wasn’t just a phase or some childish whim. Jaejoong really, really loved you enough to let you go.”

Yunho could only stare at his father, not really sure where the man was going with his statement.

The older man cracked a rare smile. “When you love someone, it’s natural to want to hold on to them and never let them go. Sometimes, you hold on to them so tight that you don’t realize one of you or both of you are hurting. But, when you’re willing to let them go for their own good and yours, you release them from the pain. Now that is true and real love.” The older man and patted Yunho’s shoulder. “I suppose you’re right. It’s time that I stop trying to set you up. Besides, I’ve run out of women to introduce to you. You’re on your own now.”

With a chuckle, Mr. Jung stood up and stretched. “Whatever you choose to do, I support you. You have my blessing.”

And with that, the old man bid him good night and left the kitchen.

Yunho stayed rooted in his seat, still contemplating everything that just happened.

For the longest time, his father had opposed his relationship with Jaejoong. Yunho fought him tooth and nail for any type of acknowledgment. This was the first time that he had shown such blatant support, even if he sounded nonchalant. It truly warmed Yunho’s heart. But, perhaps it was too late for such support.

Yunho knew now that if Jaejoong chose to give him a third chance, his one last chance, he wouldn’t waste it. But, if he chose not to, then he would happily stay by his side as a friend.

 


 

It was a Saturday, which meant that it was Jaejoong’s day off. Normally, he spent it relaxing, perhaps watching some variety show re-runs. Sometimes, he would go out and just spend the day by himself, probably doing some shopping or taking a walk in the park.

Instead, today, he spent the entire morning cooking a large batch of Fettucine Alfredo pasta and his homemade garlic bread. He had no idea why he suddenly decided to break out his cooking utensils and make enough to feed an army; there was only one of him after all.

When the pasta and bread were ready, he busied himself with putting them in Tupperware boxes, intending to bring them to the Kim-Nam household. It finally occurred to him, when he had taken out an extra Tupperware box and was filling it to the brim, that he had made Yunho’s favorite.

Perhaps, his sudden inspiration came from the fact that he hadn’t seen Yunho in two weeks.

It had been months since their conversation at Christmas. Jaejoong had pondered on it non-stop since then. Yet, he still couldn’t find an answer. However, Yunho never asked or pressured him about it. In fact, the man didn’t even really acknowledge that it happened. Sometimes, Jaejoong wondered if the other man had been drunk at the time and couldn’t remember a thing, but no, Yunho had most definitely been sober.

So, he had most definitely asked Jaejoong for one last chance to love him again.

Before he lost his nerve, he grabbed his phone and dialed.

It took five rings for Yunho to answer. “Hey.”

Jaejoong cleared his throat. “Hey. Um… so, I made pasta. Fettucine Alfredo.” He paused and took a deep breath. “I think I made too much.”

On the other line, Yunho chuckled. “Is that so?”

“Yeah… So… Have you had lunch yet? I can bring it over.”

“I’m actually in the office today. We have a huge case so we’re working on double time.”

“Oh.” If Jaejoong was a cat, his ears and tail would be down.

“But, I haven’t eaten yet, actually. If you don’t mind, you can bring it to the firm. We can eat together.”

If Jaejoong was a cat, his ears and tail would have perked up. “Yeah, that’s fine. Give me 30 minutes.”

“Sure thing. I’ll let the receptionist know to expect you. See you, Jae.”

Before Jaejoong knew it, he had dressed up in his favorite blue shirt, jeans, and a cardigan sweater. He was styling his hair, wondering if he should add a little product, when he realized what he was doing.

What exactly was he doing? It wasn’t like he had to impress Yunho like he was a prospective date. Heck, they weren’t even meeting for a date! It was just lunch.

“It’s just lunch, Jaejoong, what’s wrong with you?” he spoke to himself in the mirror then shaking his head.

“Just lunch,” he kept repeating to himself as he packed up the food in a lunch bag and drove to the law firm.

He entered the building, the lunch bag clutched tightly in his fingers as he introduced himself to the receptionist. She made a quick call and told him that Yunho was on his way down.

As he waited, Jaejoong looked around. There weren’t too many people in the lobby, but the few who were looked busy and preoccupied. The building wasn’t too large either, just five floors and they shared the space with an insurance company, based on the signs.

Jaejoong had always expected Yunho to work in a huge firm, but a smaller, more intimate firm like this seemed more the latter’s style.

He heard the ‘ding’ of the elevator and he turned to see if Yunho had come down.

It was him… accompanied by a young woman.

Both were preoccupied with the folders in front of them, discussing something so intimately that their heads were practically side-by-side.

Jaejoong felt a jolt in his chest; a jolt he hadn’t felt in years. He continued to watch them as they finished their discussion. The woman smiled brightly at Yunho and nodded, patting his arm before walking off, passing Jaejoong without a second glance.

His gaze zoomed in on Yunho’s arm, where he had just been touched, a frown on his face.

“Jaejoong?”

Breaking out of his stupor, Jaejoong made eye contact with his friend, who was flashing him a confused smile.

“You okay? Sorry, there were a few things I had to finish.”

“It’s fine. Uh… who was what?” he asked, nonchalantly.

“My personal assistant. She just went to lunch. Come on.”

Forgetting about the woman, Jaejoong followed the other into the elevator and they stood inside, making small talk, asking about each other’s day.

Yunho’s office was on the third floor. It was messier than Jaejoong expected, papers and folders everywhere, drawers and filing cabinets half-open.

Yunho blushed in embarrassment at the state of his office. “Sorry, it’s been a crazy couple of days.”

Chuckling, Jaejoong just flashed him a teasing smile. “I can tell.”

They cleared away a few items and folders from Yunho’s desk and replaced them with the boxes of food. Along with the pasta, Jaejoong also brought his garlic bread and slices of cake.

Yunho’s eyes practically shined at the spread before him.

“I haven’t had your pasta in years!” he commented before shoveling a forkful in his mouth.

He chewed, making noises that somehow made Jaejoong blush. Yunho could unintentionally sound y when he didn’t mean to; that was always the danger with him.

“Can I say that your garlic bread is the best?” he continued to compliment as he stuffed his face with Jaejoong’s cooking.

The blonde could only laugh in amusement. “Eat as much as you want, I brought a lot.”

“This is my first meal that’s not takeout in a week,” Yunho said, smiling gratefully at him. “Like I said, it’s been a crazy few days with this case. I haven’t really had time to cook. Not that I could cook that well to begin with, anyway.”

“I could just cook for you then,” Jaejoong replied, absentmindedly,

Yunho paused from his food. The blonde blushed as he turned his gaze back to his food.

“I usually cook a lot for the week,” he managed to explain. “I share with Sunggyu and Woohyun too. So, sharing with one more person wouldn’t hurt.”

Yunho grinned, his cheeks puffing up. Jaejoong’s fingers itched to squish them, like he used to do.

“You take care of me so well,” said the lawyer, oblivious to Jaejoong’s thoughts. “Whoever you end up with in the future, they’re lucky.”

With that, Yunho went back to his food, not meeting the blonde’s eyes.

Jaejoong felt a tug in his heart, but could only smile as Yunho continued to devour the food. He didn’t know why it brought him so much joy to see the other enjoying his cooking. He supposed that that was one thing that hadn’t changed about the two of them.

He made a mental note to bring Yunho extra meals every week. It really wouldn’t do for the other to starve or live off takeout for the rest of his life. How did he live without him for the past five years?

Realizing where his train of thought had taken him, Jaejoong felt another tug. He wondered if he simply felt sorry for Yunho or if his heart was trying to tell him something.

He didn’t dwell on the thought anymore when Yunho raised his head and asked for another serving.

 


 

It had started off as a regular night for Yunho. He had stayed in, spent an hour or so reading some depositions, had a bottle of beer, and finally settled in front of the T.V. watching some random drama.

He was becoming invested in the story about a man with two wives when his phone rang, breaking his fascinated concentration.

Jaejoong was calling him. Odd. They usually stuck to texting. Perhaps it was an emergency, so Yunho answered.

“Yeobsaeyo? Jaejoongie?”

To his surprise, it was a woman’s voice who answered. “Um… is this Jung Yunho-shii?”

Yunho furrowed his brows. “Yes, who is this?”

“Hi, I’m Choi Sooyoung, I’m a co-teacher of Jaejoong-shii’s. Um… we… I mean, my colleagues and I were wondering if you could pick up Jaejoong-shii?”

Yunho was on his feet immediately as he made his way to his room to change. “What happened to Jaejoong?”

“Well, today was the last day of school and the staff went out drinking. He drank a little too much and… well… can you come pick him up? We’re at the Rising Sun Bar, do you know where that is?”

Yunho jumped around as he wiggled into jeans, the phone wedged between his shoulder and ear. “No, do you mind texting me the address Sooyoung-shii? I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

“Yes, of course. My colleagues are watching over him now but… um… you might want to get here before he-.”

“Oh god, he’s not stripping is he?!” Yunho screeched in alarm as he grabbed his car keys and ran out of his apartment, making sure to lock the door behind him.

“Well… not yet, but if he does, we’ll stop him.”

“Thank you. And please send me the address. I’m getting into my car now.”

“Yes, of course. Good-bye, Yunho-shii.”

Yunho hung up and got into his car, starting the engine as he impatiently waited for the text to come. It came not even two minutes later and he wasted no time in driving there, quickly.

A drunk Jaejoong could be many things. Sweet and clingy. Sensual and uninhibited. Or all of the above together.

He didn’t know what kind of drunk Jaejoong he would be facing that night but he hoped that he could get him out quickly.

When he arrived, he quickly parked and enterered the bar, scanning the place for a familiar face. When he couldn’t find any, he called Jaejoong’s phone again.

The same woman, Sooyoung, answered. “We’re in the back, by the pillars.”

Yunho hurried over there, worry coursing through his veins. He caught sight of the familiar blonde head, surrounded by sympathetic-looking women and a few men.

Jaejoong looked quite out of it. His eyes were lidded and he was grinning from ear-to-ear as he regaled his co-workers with a story that, by the looks of it, they weren’t quite sure how to react to. One of the women noticed him and went right over.

“Yunho-shii?”

He nodded. “Sooyoung-shii?”

She immediately handed him a phone – Jaejoong’s phone. “I apologize for calling you out like this, but when we asked Jaejoong-shii who we could call to pick him up, he said your name. So we called you.”

Instantly, Yunho’s heart warmed. Jaejoong had thought of him. Yes, he was drunk and probably close to passing out, but he thought about Yunho coming to rescue him. The lawyer was quite touched.

“Don’t worry, I’m glad you called me,” he said, honestly. “I’ll take him home, now. So sorry for the trouble.”

“Not at all!”

As Yunho approached the table, Jaejoong turned his head. When he saw him, his tired doe eyes immediately brightened.

“Yunho-ah!” he exclaimed happily before squeezing through the gap between his companions and the table, determined to get to Yunho.

He stumbled on someone’s leg and into Yunho’s waiting arms. The lawyer felt his entire body heat up from the proximity. He hadn’t held Jaejoong like this in a long time. He felt guilty that it was at the expense of the teacher’s sobriety.

“Yunho-ah,” Jaejoong repeated, smiling lopsidedly at him. “You came to get me.”

“Of course, I did,” Yunho said, grinning. “Come on, let’s go home.”

“Are you taking me home?” Jaejoong drawled, looping his arms around Yunho’s neck.

“Yes, I’m taking you home.”

Someone handed him Jaejoong’s bag and Yunho slung it on his shoulder before wrapping his other arm around the drunken teacher’s waist.

With a "good-bye" and a short bow of gratitude to Jaejoong’s colleagues, Yunho began to tow him out of the bar.

Jaejoong was compliant during the walk, wrapping his own arms around Yunho’s torso as he sang a song.

… Been a fool, don’t go, don’t close the door… No, I can’t live when you leave, I’m a fool…

Yunho chuckled, slightly, finding the sight adorable. As long as he didn’t get in front of his colleagues and a bunch of strangers, Jaejoong would be fine.

“Yunnie-ah, do I sound okay?” Jaejoong asked in between lyrics.

“Yes, you sound like an angel as always,” Yunho replied.

They finally made it to his car and Yunho wasted no time in putting the drunk teacher in the passenger seat, making sure to buckle him in.

“You promise?” Jaejoong asked as the seatbelt clicked into place.

“Yes, I promise.” Yunho patted him on the shoulder before shutting the door and getting into the driver’s seat.

As he got himself settled, Jaejoong let out a giggle, grabbing his attention so he turned to look at him. It appeared that while he was making his way to the driver’s seat, Jaejoong had unbuckled his seatbelt.

The teacher was now giving him a mischievous grin, teasing him.

Yunho sighed. “Jaejoongie, you need to put on your seat belt.” He reached across to buckle him in again when arms wrapped around his neck, pulling his head down. In alarm, he pulled back. “Jaejoong! What are you-.”

“Yunho-ah, kiss me.”

Yunho froze, barely blinking as he stared at Jaejoong’s pouting lips. His heart picked up pace and his throat was dry all of a sudden. He swallowed.

“W-What?” he stammered.

Jaejoong’s pout turned into a smile and he reached out with grabby hands towards Yunho.

“I want a kiss,” he demanded. His fingers clutched at the front of Yunho’s shirt, pulling the lawyer towards him with his lips puckered.

The only word running through Yunho’s mind at the moment was, “.”

A drunk Jaejoong was an uninhibited Jaejoong. Yunho could kiss him now to fulfill the other’s demands. If he was sober, he wouldn’t dare kiss Yunho nor ask for a kiss. This was just the alcohol talking and acting.

The realization sent a pang straight to Yunho’s heart, but it woke him up to the reality at hand. No, he wasn’t that type of man. He wanted to kiss Jaejoong so badly, but only if the latter was sober and could properly consent. Besides, the guilt would eat him alive.

Thus, he could not kiss Jaejoong, no matter how tempting it was.

He pulled back, grabbing Jaejoong’s hands and gently prying them off his shirt. “Jae, no.”

But, Jaejoong was relentless, as he now moved his head forward to connect his lips with Yunho’s. The other swerved, gently pushing him back onto the seat.

“No, Jae,” he repeated.

At that, the other immediately pouted. “Why noooooot?” he whined. Then, to Yunho’s alarm, he began to sniffle and his eyes watered. “I thought you still loved me? Why won’t you kiss me? Am I ugly?”

“No, no, you’re not ugly,” Yunho answered as he placed his hands on Jaejoong’s cheeks, wiping the tears away. “You’re so damn beautiful, got that? You’re beautiful, Jaejoong. You always have been.”

Jaejoong seemed to be satisfied with the answer as his tears stopped and he managed to smile. Then, he frowned. “So, why won’t you kiss me?”  

“Because you, my love, are drunk,” Yunho answered with a gentle pinch of Jaejoong’s nose. “If you want me to kiss you, ask me when you’re sober…if you even remember this conversation.”

Jaejoong wrinkled his nose. “I’m not that drunk.”

“Then we’ll find out tomorrow.”

Jaejoong childishly stuck his tongue out. “You’re too much of a gentleman.”

Yunho could only smile. “That’s one of the reasons you loved me.”

To his surprise, Jaejoong nodded. “Yeah. It was.”

Yunho felt that familiar ache of longing in his chest. There was Jaejoong, vulnerable and open, right in front of him. If he had been the Yunho he was five years ago, he would have jumped at this chance and kissed Jaejoong until he was breathless. He would have taken him home and made love to him all night and then beg him to take him back in the morning.

But, he wasn’t that Yunho anymore. And Jaejoong wasn’t the Jaejoong who would give in to him so quickly.

So, instead, he quickly reached for the seat belt again and buckled him in. This time, Jaejoong didn’t move, only watched him.

“I’m going to call Sunggyu and see if you can stay at their place tonight, okay?” Yunho told him, as he took his phone out. “Someone needs to watch out for you in the morning. In the meantime, why don’t you take a nap?”

Jaejoong shrugged and began to hum to himself the song he was singing earlier.

Yunho called Sunggyu, who picked up after a few rings. He quickly explained the situation and asked if he could bring Jaejoong to their place since he didn’t know where Jaejoong lived. Although they had been friends for several months now, the latter had never invited him over. But, he had been invited at the Kim-Nam house for dinner with Jaejoong several times.

“Sure, Woohyun and I are still awake, we’ll get his room ready,” replied the younger man. “Don’t worry, hyung, this happens a lot so we’re used to it. We’re surprised he called you instead of us, he usually calls us.”

“His colleague made the call this time, so I guess he was too out of it,” Yunho replied. “Thanks, Sunggyu. I’ll bring him over right away.”

“We’ll be here.”

They said their good-byes and hung up. Yunho turned to a still humming Jaejoong with a smile.

“I’m bringing you to Sunggyu’s,” he said. “Why don’t you nap for a bit?”

At the suggestion, the blonde sighed, pouting again. How many times had he done that tonight? A sober Jaejoong would be horrified. “Okay.”

Satisfied, Yunho turned the engine on.

“Yunho-ah.”

“Hmm?” He turned to Jaejoong, questioningly.

The other grinned, cutely, before saying in a perky voice, “Let’s meet in our dreams!”

And with one last cheeky smile, Jaejoong closed his eyes and within seconds, he was fast asleep.

Yunho felt a little helpless, watching him. He reached out to brush some blonde hair behind Jaejoong’s ear, reveling in the feeling of the other’s smooth warm skin. In his sleep, Jaejoong smiled.

So much had happened in one night. Yunho didn’t know how he was supposed to deal with all of it.

But, now, he was definitely sure. Somewhere, deep in his heart, there was a part of Jaejoong that still loved him.

And for Yunho, that was enough to keep him going.

 

 


A/N: One more chapter and the Epilogue to go, guys! The first scene here was originally supposed to be in the previous chapter, but it just didn't fit. I think it was better in here as it showed the first hints of YunJae possibly getting back together. 

We see more of Jaejoong's feelings on the matter at hand; all his actions towards Yunho at this point are subconscious, which probably confuses the hell out of him. Don't worry, he'll come to terms with his real feelings next chapter. We also see gentleman Yunho, which shows that he's really changed; he only wants Jaejoong's happiness, even if it means pining from afar. And Mr. Jung finally gets into his head that no matter what he does, Yunho's heart will always belong to Jaejoong!

Who caught the "Dangerous Love" reference? Ahhh... those were the days.

'Til the next one!