Chapter 2

All That Glitters

When Jaejoong was growing up, he often got mistaken for a girl. He had huge doe-eyes, a soft facial structure, and just the fact that he had really, really good skin that even made his older sisters envious. Sometimes, he cursed looking so feminine. But, at times, he didn’t mind as much.

After all, his looks were the reason he met Yunho.

Elementary school was a time when kids established themselves in the social hierarchy for the next couple of years of their academic life. Some of the older kids picked on little Jaejoong because not only was he small for his age, he looked weak. They for looking like a girl and often tried to take his lunch.

In came the heroic Jung Yunho, scaring the bullies away while making a crying Jaejoong look up at him in awe.

“From now on, if you stick with me, I’ll make sure you’ll never get hurt or cry again!”

That was 8-year-old Yunho’s promise to 8-year-old Jaejoong.

And he kept that promise as they grew up.

Jaejoong had no idea that he would later break it. In fact, those were the words running through his head as he rushed out of his fiancé’s apartment, angry tears impairing his vision.

His heart was still beating fast, threatening to jump out of his chest as his emotions raged on and on.

How could Yunho do that?! How could he cheat on him?! And with a woman, no less! That part was the probably the biggest blow to Jaejoong’s pride.

It was no secret that Yunho’s parents had wanted him to continue the Jung line and were utterly devastated when they both revealed their relationship.

They had fought so hard to be recognized. How could Yunho just throw all that away?! Was he no longer worthy of Yunho's love? Did he grow tired of him?! Why?!

“Hyung?”

Changmin was coming his way, dragging behind him Jaejoong’s small suitcase, a confused look on his face as the older approached him.

“Where are you going?” he asked when Jaejoong reached him. His expression turned worried. “Is Yunho-hyung okay?”

At the mention of the other man, Jaejoong flinched as he wiped the tears from his eyes.

With a set mind, he made eye contact with Changmin. “Let’s go home.”

The younger’s brows furrowed in confusion as Jaejoong took the handle of the suitcase from him and began to walk in the direction Changmin had just come from.

“Home? But, wait, I thought you were spending the night with Yunho-hyung.”

A fresh new prick at his heart at the innocent statement. That had been the plan before the morning’s revelation.

“Change of plans,” he simply stated. “We’re going home. Where’s the car?”

“But, hyung-.”

“Where’s the car, Changmin?”

His voice held a tone of finality that Changmin had no choice but to lead him back to said car.

As Changmin drove, he threw the older concerned glances as Jaejoong sobbed, silently, in the passenger seat. He made no sound, simply allowed the tears to fall. In his pocket, his phone started to ring and one glance at the caller ID prompted him to turn it off and throw the phone into the backseat.

“Hyung,” Changmin finally managed. “Won’t you tell me what happened? What’s going on?”

Jaejoong could only shake his head, unable to say anything. He felt too broken to do so. What was he going to say to the younger, who idolized Yunho like the older brother he never had?

But, Changmin proved stubborn as he finally pulled over to the side of the road, shut off the engine, and turned to Jaejoong.

“Hyung, please,” he pleaded. “Just tell me what’s wrong. I hate seeing you like this.”

At the younger’s worried expression, Jaejoong knew he couldn’t hide his pain in front of him. He was sincere in his concerns and would not stop asking him what was wrong. And Jaejoong’s own emotions were threatening to burst out of him like a cracked dam.

And so, Jaejoong told Changmin everything. From Yunho’s nervous countenance to the unknown girl’s state of undress and wearing a shirt he recognized to be his fiance’s, and the man’s own silent admission of his infidelity.

As he talked, Changmin’s expression grew more and more angry, as he gripped the steering wheel so tight that his knuckles were tight.

And when Jaejoong was done, he said nothing other than pull the older into his arms into a tight, comforting hug before releasing him and beginning to drive again.

“Do you want to stop and get breakfast first?” he asked. “You didn’t eat before we left at dawn.”

Oh, yes, because Jaejoong had been planning on making breakfast for Yunho. So, he skipped the most important meal of the day. But, he wasn’t feeling hungry.

“I’m not hungry,” he told the younger.

Changmin just shook his head. “You need to eat. We’ll pick something up on the way, okay, hyung?”

He was so sweet and caring that Jaejoong could not refuse him and agreed.

The rest of the drive home was spent in silence. If Changmin noticed the silent tears falling every now and then from Jaejoong’s eyes, he didn’t make mention of them.

After all… a betrayal to Jaejoong was considered a betrayal to Changmin too.

 


 

“The number you have dialed is not in serv-.”

In frustration, Yunho angrily threw his phone against the bed and continued stuffing clothes and toiletries into a suitcase. He debated adding shoes too but decided he would make do with his usual casual sneakers.

From the doorway, Jisoo stood, finally dressed in her own clothes and just watching him.

“Where are you going?” she finally asked as Yunho zipped up the suitcase.

He grabbed his phone, dialed, and when he got the same out-of-service message, frustratingly stuffed the phone into the pocket of his jeans.

“I’m going after Jaejoong,” he declared, grabbing his keys from its place on the dresser before taking the suitcase.

He hurriedly walked past Jisoo and turned off all the lights and appliances in the apartment. When he was satisfied, he finally turned to the girl.

“Go home,” he simply said.

She frowned. “Yunho, do you really need to go after him? This is our chance to be together.”

“Together? Jisoo, there is no us!” He ran a hand through his hair in frustration, feeling the heaviness of the guilt he had been trying to hide all these months. “I keep telling you, what we’ve been doing… those were mistakes.”

“If they were mistakes, why do you keep doing them?” Jisoo walked up to him, determinedly.

She had always been like that, he observed. She had big dreams and was the type who would do everything she could to get it. She was headstrong and set in her views and opinions. He had admired her for it. It had been part of the initial attraction.

“Yunho, I love you,” she admitted.

His breath hitched.

When they first started this… tryst… it was simply because she had been trying to forget an ex. He didn’t realize that she had deep feelings for him. Or perhaps, what she believed was love. But, he had no right to dictate her feelings; it was his fault in the first place, after all.

But… he didn’t love her.

“Jisoo…” He sighed, knowing that this was it. He couldn’t let this go on any further. Jaejoong was already hurt.

He didn’t realize that she had moved right in front of him to grasp the front of his shirt. Her eyes shined with tears.

“P-Please…” she begged, her hands moving to cup his cheeks. “Y-Yunho… stay with me…”

She was a beautiful woman, with pretty eyes, slightly chubby cheeks, a high nose, and a flowing mane of silky black hair. She was many men’s type.

But not Yunho’s…

He gently removed her hands from his face and took a step back.

“I’m sorry…” was all he could say. “Jisoo… I led you on… I didn’t mean to and the fault is with me for making you think that I felt… more.”

She shook her head. “No, you’re lying!” she insisted.

Yunho could only return her denial with a shameful look. “I love Jaejoong. I always have and I always will. Nothing has changed in my feelings for him. Not even what we’ve done.”

He picked up his suitcase and headed for the door. He turned around once more.

“Please go home,” he begged.

She stubbornly stayed in place, defiant as ever.

But, it didn’t matter. Yunho was set in his decision. Without another word, he turned and left.


A/N: My chapters seem short, but as soon as I get the flow of the story later on, they'll hopefully gradually get longer!

Now, in no way am I condoning cheating. But, I wanted to show that Yunho made a mistake - a very egregious mistake, but a mistake no less. He still loves Jaejoong, but that doesn't erase the hurt and Jae's doubts, of course.

Til the next one!