Opposite Ends of the Spectrum

Best of Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was Friday. 

After today, Sehun could stay up all night if he wanted to and play video games with Johnny and not have to worry about the time differences.  He could order pizza at 1 am or video chat with Luhan at 3 am if he wanted. Sehun couldn’t wait for the weekend. 

However, there was something he had to do first. Today, he had to pass the basketball tryouts. Then and only then would he be ready to start the weekend. 

Dressed in shorts and a t-shirt, the alpha made his way into the gym along with the other participants. There were guys that were taller, guys that were buffer, and guys that had more skills than Sehun. But the teen did not let that phase him. He would give his all and walk out feeling accomplished. 

Now if only he could keep his thoughts off of Mr. Kim…

Flashback

“I have tryouts this afternoon.” 

The dark-haired omega smiled, “That’s exciting.” 

Sehun nodded, “Yeah. I hope I do well.” 

“I believe in you.” 

Sehun’s breath caught in his throat and he looked up at the guidance counselor. Maybe Jongin didn’t mean it, maybe he was only doing his job, but that simple sentence gave Sehun all the strength he needed. 

The alpha felt a surge of confidence rise within his chest and the only phrase that came to mind was…

Do it for Jongin…

End of Flashback

Coach Kris called his name snatching the teen’s attention back. Taking a deep breath, Sehun ran out onto the court. 

Do it for Jongin..Do it for Jongin...Do it for Jongin...


~.~.~.~

Jongin tucked his hair behind his ear as he left the school building. It was Friday so he had his weekly dinner with his parents he needed to get ready for. He truly had a right mind to cancel on them, but he knew he would never hear the end of it from his step-mother. 

She acted like a real loving caregiver during their meals together. Jongin almost forgot how much of a monster her and her son could really be. 

Almost….

Jongin shivered slightly. He didn’t know if it was from the horrid memories of his adolescent years or if it was simply from the chill of the spring’s calm winds. Either way, Jongin pulled his cardigan tighter around his body.

He was in his car and was ready to pull off when there was a light tap on his window. Somewhat still in his thoughts, the omega jumped. 

When he got a glimpse of who it was, he deeply sighed. He should have known. 

He rolled down his window and tried to hide any annoyance from his tone. He had become a master at hiding his true emotions over the years. One who listened and talked with other about their feelings, couldn’t possibly wear their hearts on their sleeves. It was risky at best. 

“Hello, Mr. Kim!” 

The teenager’s smile reached his ears and Jongin couldn’t stop the bitterness he felt because of that. 

He wondered how it felt to truly happy. To not have to watch everything you said and did because one wrong move and your life could be over. To have everything you’ve worked so hard for, snatched away just because,  ‘An omega can never be as successful as an alpha. There is truly no reason for them to even try’ 

Yes, Jongin was jealous of the younger male. He was jealous because while he had the pleasure of walking on eggshells for the rest of his life, Sehun got to live his without a care in the world. 

A boy, not even 16 yet, was a million steps ahead of Jongin, and Jongin would never be able to catch up. Ever. 

“Hello, Sehun.” 

“I made the team.” 

Jongin stretched a tight smile across his face, “That’s good, Sehun. I’m happy for you.” 

That seemed to spark a fire under Sehun, “Really?! Great! I’m glad! You know, because you’re happy. Well not- you know, just like you being happy is...No, I mean. I-.” 

Jongin watched the teen struggle with his words. Sehun’s palms were sweating and his body didn’t stop shifting every few seconds. It was obvious that the boy was nervous, but the counselor refused to believe it was because of this crush the younger to have on him.  It was beyond laughable. Sehun was a pure alpha, strong, brave, confident, smart. There was no way a teenage crush could cause so much dysfunction in an alpha’s natural state. 

It was absurd. 

“Sehun, slow down and think about what you want to say next. That way there is no room for misunderstanding,” Jongin preached. 

He noticed Sehun inhale deeply and balled fist dangled at his side. 

“Can we go somewhere...to celebrate?” 

Jongin’s eyes widened in disbelief. He didn’t expect that question. Not at all. He was in shock. He couldn't believe the kid basically asked him out. On campus. In broad daylight. 

Out loud. 

Jongin frowned, “I don’t think that’s appropriate, Sehun.” 

A wave of guilt and embarrassment washed over Sehun and into Jongin’s senses. 

The omega tightened his grip on the steering wheel, forcing himself to ignore his urge to comfort the boy. He had to be direct for once, the alpha clearly wasn’t taking any hints. Things could not continue like this anymore. Sehun was becoming dangerous bold with his intentions. 

And whether or

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter