* 13

Black And White

His parents died because of a fire accident in their neighborhood when he was only eight years old. The fire spread quickly and reached their house. By the time help arrived, his parents were already dead and he was crying because of the black smoke and the burn on his right leg and the fire that took his parents away. His father's younger brother took him against his wife's will. It's because of his parents' life insurance. They never treated him more than a trash, a dog to be fed. He couldn't take it but he had no choice.

That's until he learns about a kind of scholarship offer by the government about orphans. Until now, he is able to study thanks to that scholarship. It gives a little more than the usual scholarship.

He doesn't really want to think about how sad his life is because he's still alive and he figures that should count for something. He started working when he was eleven and learned the importance of money to survive in this world. He is taking a degree he has zero interest at because that will give him a more secure job in the future. He is thinking of the future when there is no certainty he'll live until then. But he doesn't think it's sad. And he thinks that that's sad, that he doesn't think it's sad but it's just the way life is.

Jimin stays beside him and listens at him intently. When he finishes, he doesn't see pity in Jimin's eyes like what he usually sees whenever he is forced to tell his story to someone. This is the first time he tells it willingly.

They look at each other for a moment. He doesn't know what to say and he doesn't like to interrupt the silence because he thinks that's what people miss in silence. They think it says nothing but in truth, it can speak more than words. Maybe that's what people doesn't like about silence. It reveals more than they let.

Jimin moves and he lets himself be wrapped in his shorter but more defined arms. It's warm even if it's raining outside.