A One Word Answer

A Trip to Korea

Right after Ms. Sereno had just finished talking about the field trip, the bell rang, and everyone rushed outside. You took your time, still thinking about how you're going to make your mom say yes. You slowly walked down the street, trying to make up a plan. Finally, you arrive home, and walked up the steps to the front porch. You took a deep, long breath before unlocking the dark blue door, and barging inside. "I'm home!" you called. Your mom appeared from the kitchen, her hands covered in a red sauce.

"Oh hi honey! How was your day? I was just making kimchi." You set my backpack down on the couch, and yawned loudly. "Great," You replied. "but I have something to tell you." My mom's eyes widened and she quickly ran to stand beside me, her curiosity bold and noticable. "What? Is it a boy? Did someone ask you to be their girlfriend? When? Where? How? Why? Are they rich?"

was spilling out conclusions. Her voice trailed of when you gave her a disgusted look. "No!" you shouted. You pulled the white paper from my pocket, and handed it to her.

It took her a few minutes to read over it, until she finally had an answer. She looked at me with a blank look on her face. "I have to think about it," she said. Ugh. Can't you just say yes already? 

"It'd be great for my studies. I'd love having the experience of traveling out of the country. This will be my first time. Please let me go, mom," you begged. "Maybe," she repeated. "I'm getting payed tomorrow. If there's enough money from my paycheck including some of the money from our savings, then you can go." you sighed.

"Shouldn't you already know how much you get payed every month?" you asked. "I would, but right now the company isn't getting as many customers. They're struggling. My paycheck these past few months have been very loopy. Up, down... everywhere. So we'll just have to see."