Chapter 8

The Double D Dilemma
Please log in to read the full chapter

G wakes up to the sound of clanking pots from her kitchen. She makes a lazy turn and pulls the covers over her face, attempting to block the noise. She’s a light sleeper, which could be a bad thing for situations like these. Especially after coming home late, the night before, she thought. A smile breaks across her face, as she tries to remember that elated feeling of having Daniel hold her close, sneaking kisses on her neck when she’s not paying attention.

She grumbles loudly, muttering under her breath as the clanking noises continue from her kitchen. She glances over to her phone and sees some messages from the Lahling Group Chat and Jinyoung (there is a missed call from JaeBeom but she doesn’t realize it yet). She takes note of the time and panics for a bit, then settles down as she smacks herself for forgetting that it’s a Sunday and she’s off work. She doesn’t start her new job for another 3 weeks or so.

Hobbling off the bed she grabs her phone and shuffles to the kitchen. To her surprise, she sees JaeBeom, once again, cooking. “You didn’t answer your phone when I called you earlier, so I decided to let myself in.” he says, without turning around. He continues to fry whatever it was he threw into the pan.

He’s wearing a black tank top and board shorts, exposing his ocean-wide huggable shoulders and statuette nape. He fixed up his hair too, she thought. Why does it look impeccable, she muses and shakes her head getting rid of the mental images that were threatening to follow through.

Rubbing her eyes she mumbles “Hmm… yeah…. Ok” G then continues to shuffle to the coffee machine. “What time is it?”

“In time for lunch. Sit.” He serves her a full plate of fried rice, fried egg, steamed chicken and a side of bean sprouts.

“Yo dude, you didn’t have to y’know?”

“Anything for my ‘Bae’.” JaeBeom smiles and starts to clean up the pans.

She turns around and declares “For the last time, I. Am. Not. Your. Bae! What’s this obsession with calling me ‘Bae’ anyway? What’s wrong with my name?? And… Why’re you always here these days?”

“Why so cranky? Here, I brewed u coffee.” He hands her a mug. ”Drink up, so I don’t have to face this monster.” He jokes while poking her cheeks.

She takes a sip of her coffee and suddenly realizes that she’s at home, still in her tank top and jammy shorts and with a male companion standing next to her. What was worse, it was JaeBeom. The sudden awareness made her jump from her seat as she ran to her room to grab a hoodie so she could hide that morning face.

In her embarrassment, she said “I can’t believe you’re seeing me like this.”

“I don’t mind seeing you like this everyday, if I could.” He almost whispers.

She heard it, all of it. Was that a confession? She couldn’t really make sense of what was happening. She just had the most wonderful date with Daniel the night before, and now this? Don’t do this now JaeBeom, she begged internally, as she took another sip of her coffee.

She cleared and decided to politely ignore his somewhat confession (or was it not?). Her phone buzzed, and messages from Lahling Group chat starts to come in.

Tara : Good morning, good afternoon, good evening and good night! G are you awake?? Why haven’t you responded?

Sydney : Babe, she might’ve gone home with D… what’s his name again?

Angie : Who’s D?

Tara : Baaammmiiiieeeeee…. Where have you been? Have you come back from Chocolate Dimple Heaven?

Angie : How did you know about that?

Sydney : G filled us in that day (insert clapping sticker)

Angie : You mean Chocolate Greek God Heaven (insert hearts sticker)

Tara : Chocolate Greek God? You mean it’s a person and not a place?

 

G smiled as she reads the messages from the Lahlings, interrogating Angie. This was when G realizes that JaeBeom has been peering over her shoulder trying to read her messages too. She immediately faces her phone down and digs into her food.

“Chocolate what? Is that code word for you girls for Ice Cream or something? Or is that a new club that Syd’s opening?” he asks innocently.

G couldn’t help but let out a snort at hearing JaeBeom’s analysis of her girly conversations with the Lahlings. “Shuddup and don’t interfere in our gossip ok. You do what you do, and I will eat your delicious fried rice. Which incidentally, is really good, thanks dude.”

JaeBeom pulls a chair and sits next to her. “So tell me, have you opened up the message I sent you?”

“Not yet.” G continues to chew but feels a sudden ache in her chest, realizing that she didn’t want to reveal her apprehension over listening to JaeBeom’s music. In the past, JaeBeom has written some beautiful tunes, which made her fall even more in love with him. She knew that his music had an affect on her and it seems, he must’ve known it too.

Please log in to read the full chapter