Chapter 17

The Double D Dilemma
Please log in to read the full chapter

After the hospital debacle and with Angie recovering from her accident, everything was now out in the open. The Lahlings had finally met Angie’s Chocolate Dimple Heaven, also known as Kim Nam Joon, music producer and rap artist extraordinaire from the up-and-coming group, BTS. When Giselle saw him at the hospital, she knew this was the guy from the mysterious video call. Though she didn’t really have the time to get to know him, she was happy for Angie. He was a fine looking chocolaty man too. Tall, tanned, muscular and had the deepest, iest dimples on his cheeks, it could legit kill a girl if it made an appearance.

Dimples, as Giselle liked to affectionately call him, never knew that Angie had a close friend by the name of JaeBeom. He wasn’t prepared for what he witnessed between them at the hospital. He could see that JaeBeom and Angie were very close. Giselle saw Dimples lost control over how JaeBeom had taken care of Angie. From an outsiders’ point of view, one would not have known that they were siblings and could easily have mistaken them for something else.

Due to his frustrations, Dimples lunged for JaeBeom and a fight ensued between them. It was so intense. Giselle had a hard time calming JaeBeom down. She understood that they had a bond, but didn’t realize how strong it was ‘till Dimples came into the picture.

Finally Giselle was able to see how she had been so wrong about JaeBeom for so long. JaeBeom was so sweet with Angie. To Angie, he was like a brother she never had. He made sure Angie’s parents were well taken of when they visited her at the hospital too. The Lahlings could see that Dimples was feeling a little frustrated that he couldn’t be introduced properly to everyone.

In the weeks while Angie was recovering, Giselle had settled in comfortably in her new job at Deloitte. She felt like all the things she had picked up in college, came flooding back. This is what I’m meant to do, she tells herself everyday. Hectic work schedule had not quite kicked in for Giselle yet, but she’s now enjoying the 9-5 Monday-Friday schedule, as opposed to the odd-hour 3 weekends Juice Café schedule.

Now that Angie had been discharged from the hospital, the Lahlings were all very relieved to finally not be on edge. Things between Dimples and The Lahlings have not been so smooth either. Giselle lowkey wanted to get to know this man who had conquered the heart of her best friend.

It’s been many weeks now since Angie’s accident and this was the first time in a long time, the Lahlings were together. It was a balmy Saturday afternoon, when they decided to commemorate their get-together at Angie’s apartment, to formulate their plan for their next beach vacation together.

“Guys, I might not be able to stay for pizza dinner tonight.” Giselle mutters while munching on chips, lounging on the couch. She was hoping nobody heard her.

Sydney was still searching the internet and Tara was painting her nails. Angie was well…. Love texting. “Is JaeBeom coming here to pick you up or you meeting up somewhere?” Angie asked absentmindedly smiling at her phone. It looked like Dimples must’ve texted her something funny or intriguing.

“He’s picking me up.” Giselle continues munching.

“You’re going out like that??” Tara looks up and sees Giselle in her sweats.

Giselle stops munching and stands up. “What’s wrong with this? I never wear make up anyway?”

“Girlllllll…. What’s wrong with you??” Tara grabs Giselle by the elbow and pulls her towards Angie’s room. “You. Will. Not. Go. Out. Like. That.”

They raided Angie’s wardrobe and ended up dressing G up in Angie’s oversized silk red shirt. Tara and Sydney added a skinny leather belt to the shirt to emphasize on her tiny waist. Angie looked at Giselle approvingly. “I never knew you could wear a shirt like that. Why didn’t I think of that?”

Giselle points to her stylists-makeup artists, Tara and Sydney.

“Dude, they almost made me wear that white shirt over there… but I didn’t recognize the brand so I wasn’t… sure… if… it… was yours…” Giselle couldn’t hide her new found treasure in Angie’s closet.

“Shut up! That’s mine!” Angie runs to her closet and pushes the shirt in to hide it from plain view.

The girls had a good laugh about who the real owner of the shirt was and decided to put it to rest since Angie didn’t seem too pleased at their discovery. “Stick to that red shirt dress, you! You look smokin’ as is!” Angie decides to change the subject. “Hey Syd, I thought I saw Jinyoung lurking at the hospital that day?”

“Don’t change the subject!” Sydney interjects.

While the girls were in the room, mucking around with G’s outfit, JaeBeom walks in. “Well well… what do we have here…”

Giselle let out a gasp. She was both shocked to see him there so early but also, shocked to see him all dressed up.

Angie jumps from her bed and shoves JaeBeom out the room. “Don’t you know that it’s rude to walk into a girl’s bedroom like that??” She takes JaeBeom out to the living room.

Meanwhile, Sydney poked Giselle’s ribs. “See!! I told you!! People don’t go on dates in their sweats!! Didn’t he tell you where you guys were going?” Tara smacks Giselle’s .

“Well… he just said, wear something nice and comfortable but didn’t really say where he was going to take me. My sweats are nice and comfortable! They’re Adidas!!” Giselle said indignantly. “Besides, it’s just Im Jae Beom!”

“Babe, don’t let your guard down. I’m gonna make sure you make full use of all those products we got you last Christmas! You wont stop getting them until you use every single bit of it!” Exclaims Tara.

JaeBeom sat at the kitchen bar, waiting for G to emerge from Angie’s room. Angie took out a can of coke and pushes it across the counter. “Where you taking her?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” JaeBeom winks at her and pops the lid open. He looks up and Giselle walks out of the room shyly. She’s in Angie’s silk red oversized shirt, now fashioned into a short dress. The girls had painted Giselle’s face with all makeup and shoved her a lip-gloss to dab on later in the car.

JaeBeom gaped at the sight of Giselle in a short dress, exposing slim and tanned legs. Angie watched the whole scene unfold, smiled brightly and snapped her fingers in JaeBeom’s face. “Bro, earth to bro. Come in bro.” Snap snap.

JaeBeom blinks, puts down his drink and walks over to Giselle. He takes her hand and leads her out the door. Giselle turned around grinning happily while waving goodbye to her Lahlings. She mouthed a ‘thank you’ and let herself out the door.

When they got into the car, Giselle noticed that there were bags in the back seat. She sits down snugly into the passenger seat and asks “Why’re there bags here? Are you moving out?”

“No, I’m not. These are our overnight clothes.”

“Overnight? Where are we going?” Giselle was beyond disbelief.

“You’ll see….” JaeBeom smiled, pressed the Start ignition button and turned to look at her. “We’ll start off with dinner. Now, this is the only part of the plan where you get to decide, so decide wisely. Where shall we eat?”

“You have a plan?” she didn’t wanna sound panicky. “Erm…. Well…” she was feeling a little excited and anxious at the same time.

Then Daddy JaeBeom took charge. “Why don’t we have dinner at this café across from the Verse 2 stage? I hear there’s a jazz band playing there tonight. How does that sound?” He suggests.

“Sounds like a plan.” Giselle then leans back, while holding onto JaeBeom’s hand that rested comfortably on her lap.

They had a satisfying dinner. JaeBeom had insisted that she ate a proper meal and not nibble like a bird. He kept insisting that his plans required them to be fully energized since he had packed an ‘overnight’ bag for the two of them. So she decided to be he

Please log in to read the full chapter