Chapter 11

The Double D Dilemma
Please log in to read the full chapter

Sipping her morning coffee in her tank top and boy-leg briefs, G leans against her mini balcony, which overlooks a street vendor selling newspaper and hot dogs. She lets out a sigh as she recalls how she used to spend her off days from the Juice Café with JaeBeom at this very newstand. The gentleman who owns it, has become quite a familiar face in the neighborhood. There were nights where she would finish work late; she would text him to accompany her home.

She recalls all the times where he would just call her out of the blue and they’d make silly jokes about how they would end up together if they haven’t found anyone worthy before they turn 30. G smiles to herself and regrets having shoved JaeBeom out of her apartment to make way for Daniel. My heart only has space for one man, she tells herself.

She takes another sip and contemplates her strategy on how to make a good impression for her first job. Since she no longer needs to return to the Juice Café (dad finally found a replacement), she now has ample time to prepare for her new workplace. She made mental notes on timing the distance and duration it would take to get to work and outfits to wear… when suddenly her train of thought is interrupted by Mr y Tush Daniel, who sneaks up from behind her and hugs her tight. While he drizzled soft kisses on her neck, she was still distracted recall ingthe time where she applied for this Deloitte job.

Throwback to 6 weeks ago at the Juice Café, pre-Daniel encounter.

“I see you’re sending out resumes again.” JaeBeom notices G putting aside her stationaries on the counter next to the cashier. He picks up an envelope. “Deloitte…. Isn’t this your third time applying to Deloitte?”

G averts his eyes and says “Yeah… they say third time’s a charm, right?”

“I have a feeling this will be it. THIS will be the job you get.” He reassures her. “And to make it come true, we shall have a séance tonight… we shall pay our respects over chimaek and Jack Daniels with a side of Soju. What say you?”

“I say, we shake on it!” G offers a handshake.

“Deal! But don’t forget our other deal… if we’re both still single at 30 with no prospects, we’re gonna end up together, deal?” JaeBeom never fails to remind her of this deal. G could barely remember how this deal even came about. He ends up shaking G’s hand, sealing the deal for the umpteenth time.

G closed up shop late that night and since they had made plans earlier that day, JaeBeom waited for her outside the cafe. They walked side by side, JaeBeom with both hands in his pocket and G shyly swinging her hands about. As they walked up the stairs of the train station, 5 minutes walking distance away from G’s apartment, JaeBeom suddenly remembers. “Oh I did a cover today. We used Frank Ocrean’s We All Try. Wanna listen?” He fishes out his headphones, plugs one side into G’s ear and the other into his.

“Is that Mark rapping?” G recognizes that deep raspy voice.

“The one and only.” He says proudly.

“Is he still single?” G enquired jokingly.

JaeBeom grabs his headphones back and wheezes. “Gimme back my headphones!” He walks away huffing and puffing.

G couldn’t help but laugh as she ran after him. “Heyyyyy youuu… wait up!” she tries to catch up.

They settle down at the Newstand/hot dog stall across the road from G’s apartment. Mr Newstand owner greeted them with a warm welcome of freshly made hot dogs and a side of soju. The best combination, according to G. JaeBeom doesn’t waste any time, he settles down his knapsack and excuses himself. He returns a few minutes later with a container of newly fried honey chicken and a 6 pack carton of Corona.

“Eat up! We have plenty to go around.” He pops the lid of the Soju and pours a shot glass for G and himself. “Here’s to new jobs, new pay and new beginnings! Cheers!” They gulped down the shot.

This time G pours the shots. “Let’s toast to less nagging from parents and more partying with friends! Cheers!” Shot glasses tinkled.

“This is totally random, but it might be relevant to your line of work.” G starts off while she pours the next shot for the both of them. “I was watching this Red Bull commerci

Please log in to read the full chapter