Eight

The Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy and Seulgi entered the dean’s room where some other students had gathered. Some glanced up to see who just walked in then turned away almost immedatelly. Namhyuk stood near the table among other students who were scattered all over the room. He looked slightly troubled, resting his chin on one hand while supporting it with his other arm that wrapped in front of his body.

 

”Namhyuk ssi!” Wendy called him out. ”Oh! It’s you Wendy ssi.. Seulgi ssi..”

“Do you know what’s going on? Why are we summoned here?”

”No, I don’t. I’m actually trying to figure it out as well.”

 

Other students in the room seemed to be discussing the same thing as urgent whispers grew amongst them. The absence of any teachers and the dean himself made it all the more unsettling.

 

"Seulgi! Wendy!" another familiar face walked through the door.

"Irene unnie!" Seulgi hugged the older girl in relief.

"What is this? Where is the dean?"

"We're not sure either. We just arrived."

"Hell-O, people!" a voice too cheerful in the midst of confusion drew everyone's attention. Namhyuk let out a long sigh.

"Settle down, Sungwoo.."

"Why? What's with this weird atmosphere here?" Sungwoo asked loudly as Namhyuk dragged him to the corner.

"Just.. shut up for a bit, alright."

 

Sungwoo was about to retaliate until he laid his eyes on the girls. His eyes instantly widened at the sight of Irene in front of him.

 

"Oh, noona.. How are you doing?" Sungwoo looked flustered as he bowed to the senior.

"Ah, yes. I'm fine thanks." Irene answered, clinging her hand on Seulgi's arm.

"Sungwoo, have you seen Taegon? I heard his name as well."

"Nah, I was hanging around the park with my club members."

"...Wendy, he was just mentoring you right?"

"Yes, we were together when we heard the announcement. He stayed behind, saying he needed to tidy up the studio."

Namhyuk scoffed, "That guy.."

 

The students kept speaking amongst themselves. Once or twice, other students approached them to asked of their knowledge regarding the sudden meeting. Sungwoo also went around the room talking each students. He was the only one seemingly at ease in the room, showing his dopey grin all the time.

 

"Good afternoon, students." A lady in professional attire came into the room.

 

There was a dignified air surrounding her that made the students fell silence all at once. She did not looked past her 30s and she moved in with such grace, it was almost hypnotic. The woman walked towards the dean table and stood behind the chair while resting both her hands on the head rest.

 

"Excuse me, but who are you?" A male student asked from the side.

"I'm your academic dean. Please call me Ms. Hwang." she said with a smile.

“I thought our academic dean is an old guy?” A faint voice of a girl nearby murmured in hesitation.

”Mr. Kim WAS the academic dean. He is stepping down from his position and hence, I am elected to replace him. The announcement will be made soon.” Ms. Hwang answered eloquently without missing a single beat. Once she made sure that the room had full attention on her, she carried on. "Thank you for gathering in orderly manner within such short notice. I'm sure you all have questions regarding why you are all gathered here." she stopped her sentence after looking at the students one by one. "Someone is missing, am I wrong?"

"One guy, ma'am. Taegon, music major second year." Namhyuk replied with his hand folded in front of his chest.

"Of course." she shook her head knowingly before facing Namhyuk again, "I assume you know him well, please relay the following information to him. I will also have a word privately with this particular student soon."

"Uh.. yes, ma'am."

"Good. Now.. where should I begin?"

 

-moments later-

 

Students pouring out of the dean's office with a mix of excitement an anxiety on their faces. Irene had her arms linked with Seulgi walking out through the door while Sungwoo followed behind them.

 

"Hyukie, let's go.." Sungwoo called out to his friend upon realizing that he had stayed behind.

"I still have questions, you go ahead."

"You too, Wendy?" Sungwoo turned to the small girl who nodded with a faint smile. "Fine, we'll be outside." Sungwoo said with a playful wink.

 

Ms. Hwang looked at the two expectantly yet spoke no words. Wendy took a glance at Namhyuk who looked as if he was contemplating the questions swirling in his head.

 

"I assume you two still have questions to ask me in private?" Ms. Hwang broke the silence.

"Yes, ma'am." Namhyuk replied swiftly before turning towards Wendy, "You may go first."

"Ah, thank you." Wendy nervously looked at the dean, "Why me?" her voice came out like a whisper.

Ms. Hwang tilted her head, "What do you mean?"

"I just transfered here. Why did you call me?"

Ms. Hwang had her eyes upon Wendy, a small smike grew on her lips. "The team will need someone of your calibre. Your academic record was.. spotless. I believe it would be a huge asset. Besides, I think you will learn a lot through this experience as well."

“This is such a prestigious performing art competition. Isn’t it much better for you to choose students who have proven competencies already? Like those who have participated in these things for instance?” Wendy sounded overwhelmed by the sudden news.

”Because this school has almost never allowed their students to compete in such a thing.” Namhyuk answered swiftly. “Which brings up MY question. How come almost no one have ever heard of this competition?”

”We always participate in the Richard Rodgers Performing Arts Competitions which is only held every 5 years. So that’s why you would not aware of its existence. If you win, it should open up all sort of opportunity for you in the future." Ms. Hwang answered calmly. 

”We seldom ever join in any competition, so why forcing us to do this one?”

"We only join the finest sort of competition. We consider your already hectic schedule and the prestige of allowing students in joining these festivities.” She replied swiftly.

”Even the team... you are the one authorized to select the candidates?”

”I don’t see the problem why not. Your professors provided some excellent recommendations of their students. I simply make

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter