Six

The Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Entering the studio covered with huge mirrors on the walls, Seulgi felt at home. Some other students have arrived and were chatting excitedly with each other. Seulgi began stretching her body in preparation for her first contemporary dance class.

 

”Hey guys! How are you doing?” A booming voice came from the door. Sungwoo just walked in with a dopey grin immediatelly joining his classmates for a hearty chat.

 

Seulgi continued stretching by herself amidst the loud chattering around her. ‘It is just as the rumours said.’ Seulgi thought silently. Sungwoo’s reputations preceded him, both the good and the bad. He might have been one of the most well-liked person in school with his friendly manner and cheerful attitudes, however he also got a lot of complaints from the faculty members for disrupting classes and turning in his papers late.

Seulgi felt a bit uncomfortable of his overly-friendly demeanor. Despite his best effort, she could not help feeling awkward spending time with him earlier before. However it did not seem like he minded at all. In fact, Sungwoo immediatelly approached her at the corner when he noticed her stretching all alone.

 

”I almost forget to stretch first. Thank God I saw you here.” Sungwoo started stretching beside Seulgi, still smiling widely at her direction.

”Uh huh. We might not get the chance when Mr. Park arrives.”

 

Mr. Park was once a famous performer known for his eccentric dance routines. He had been active for more than 20 years as a professional performer before he started to teach dancing. Recently he was better known as a music producer, slowly bowing out his way from the limelight to work behind the scenes instead. He might be the chillest teacher in the campus as he had been spotted clubbing by some lucky/unlucky students.

However, he could be a devil for those unable to follow along his instructions. Seulgi had witnessed his wrath first hand and it was unpretty. Numerous students had gone out from the class crying after receiving his outrage. Sometimes it felt like they were studying with a ticking time bomb, ready to explode at the slightest provocation.

 

"Welcome, children!" Seulgi saw her teacher striding inside the room with comfortable smile. The students greeted him back politely and quickly gathered to the front of the class. Sungwoo stood beside Seulgi, both his hands in the pocket. "Great to see you all again! For those who has not been in my class before, nice to meet you!" He gestured towards the new faces. "I'm Mr. Park. I will be teaching you all the essence of contemporary dance. Anyone would like to help me explain what does contemporary dance constitute?"

Some hands shooted up in the air. Mr. Park gestured for a girl to answer, "It is a type of modern dance that incorporates elements from classical ballet and jazz."

Mr. Park nods cryptically, choosing yet another student to answer, "Uhm.. An expressive dance that combines modern-styled dance genres?"

"You're getting there.. but what is the essence?" Mr. Park asked once more.

Seulgi put her hands up, "Emotional expressions through bodily movements?"

"That's correct! Expressing your feelings in form of a series of movements. You may be able to follow the beat, move your body fluidly, do intricate tricks; but it all meant nothing if you don't put feelings into them. The aesthetical value of contemporary dance lies in its ability to induce certain emotions towards your spectators."

 

Sungwoo nodded absent-mindedly at the side while Mr. Park went at length regarding the course he would be teaching them this term. Sungwoo's eyes looked blank, and Seulgi immediatelly knew that he was daydreaming again.

 

"Sungwoo.." Seulgi whispered softly.

"Huh? Yes?" Sungwoo was taken aback. Seulgi put her finger in front of her lips, alerting him to keep his voice down.

"Are you okay?"

"Uh.. Yes, I'm fine. What's up?" he smiled with a confused look on his face.

"You were musing by yourself. Careful not to anger

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter