003

Crimson Canine

You woke up to the sound of clanking pots and pans in the kitchen, followed by someone shrieking over the boiled water that overflow from the kettle on the stove. They must have returned home. You eventually fell asleep on the couch after having enough of Mingyu’s constant stare and babbling. You did a little stretching to loosen the knots on your muscle from the uncomfortable position you’ve slept in. You proceeded to the kitchen but not before bumping into Sehun hard that you almost fell on your . He looked at you before muttering, “You’re blocking my way” and left. You stare at his back as he ascended the stairs for a while, trying to reason to yourself and have positive thought that maybe he’s undergoing PMS.

“Leave him be. He has problem trusting others that he barely knew.”, Kai said as he gives you a side glance from the kitchen counter to emphasize that he’s talking to you. Then, he averted his gaze to the living room where Chanyeol, Mingyu and Baekhyun are currently in some kind of tug war over the tv remote, sighed before heading their way-probably to end the fight.

Kyungsoo who’s busy preparing dinner, hollers “Mingyu, your shift is over. You can head home after you’ve had your meal.” But the latter was too busy quarrelling to respond. Thank god, you muttered but Kyungsoo heard it anyway.

“Does he bores you that much?”, he chuckled.

“Oh you’ve had no idea”

Then you heard Sehun yelled, “Stop hogging the tv remote will you?!” before a loud thud followed by grunts are heard. Yeah, definitely PMS.

*

 

It becomes a routine of the packs going to work and you staying with Mingyu at home. Your wounds are perfectly healed on the second day of your stay which impressed Suho, since he believes that it should take longer time to heal. Nonetheless, he insisted that you still take your medication and don’t overwork your body. After several days of staying with Mingyu, you’ve realised that he wasn’t that bad actually. You think you could’ve lost your mind if there’s no one with you in that 2-storey house. He’s approved of your existence in this house- saying things about you’re unlikely to cause trouble and he could beat you into pulp if the situation turns out of hand. This human sure likes to boast about himself. It surprised you at first to know that he knows all about myth creature and the fact that his neighbour; the pack, is one. Most mere humans would freak out and leave without any second thought. He earned your respect for that.

Sometimes, the two of you went to his home (he asked the packs’ permission beforehand though like the nanny he is) and he forced you to clean his garden with him. You grunted at first but did so nevertheless because you’re not going to stand there and watch him till you faint from heat under the scorching sun. Knowing Mingyu, he will make sure that you’re always on his line of sight no matter what it takes. He’ll reward you with delicious apple pie and lemonade later so the hard work was worth it.

If the hotness on that day is unbearable, both of you will just laze around in the living room while watching movies. You will either order takeout or just settle with instant popcorn for snacks. There are also days that the two of you play UNO or scrabble, anything that could be found in Kai’s house.

Today is the day that you’ve nothing in mind to do. Even Mingyu has lost his energy to talk which is abnormal.” I’m bored. El, figure something out”. You grunted in reply. At this point, you think you could die from boredom. Suddenly, he perks up and looks at you, “Wanna do something that I like?”. You look at him as if he has grown two head. His whole face brights up and his smile couldn’t be any wider when he said,” Get ready to join Captain Mingyu in his adventure-filled life” and proceed making gestures using his limbs, imitating jet planes on the sky.

That’s how you end up in his dusty library at his home. It’s impressive to say the least that thousands of books can be fitted in the limited space. You gawked at the various ancient books, nicely stacked on the cupboard based on their sizes and types. Some of the books are old enough that it looks like it could crumble with the slightest touch. On your way to the library, Mingyu told you that his late grandmother is an ancient witch, so she knows a lot about myth creature and even teach him about simple spells that can be cast without the need of magic. That explains the countless herbs and carved stones that you found hanging on certain spots in his house. He said that he usually spends most of his time in the library to improve his knowledge regulating creatures that he has yet to meet until he got the task to babysit you. The thought of learning about magic and ancient myth excites you that you couldn’t help the giddy smile that formed on your lips. He turned to you, face mirroring your expression, “Should we start our mission, Captain Elena?”, holding his hand out to you.

“Lead the way, Captain Ming”, you said, clasping his hand with your small one.