008

Crimson Canine

“Does it still hurt?”, he said eyeing the scar on your cheeks that is slowly fading but still visible to eyes. You mutter a no and that it’s going to heal soon. He sighs before mumbling a soft sorry.

“It’s just that I have problem trusting people and then you just appeared out of nowhere, all shady and secretive. So when I found out that you were part of the hunters, I just did what I feel was the right thing which is to protect my pack-the only family that I have left. They’ve killed my sister before, one whom I love dearly in a rather tragic death. I rather being beaten to death instead of witnessing my loved ones being killed in front of my eyes again.”

“I know”

“Pardon me?”

“Instead of being killed by werewolves like how they told me before, my mom was actually murdered by my own father because she’s a werewolf like me too. She’s hid the truth for years, not even a single person able to pinpoint that she’s unlike others. One day, she got caught in her wolf form during full moon and her life was taken regardless of her kindness towards the other hunters before.”

You move in your car seat, now facing Sehun in a better angle and says,” So don’t blame yourself for it because I will do the same if I were you.” A small smile made its way on his lips which soon can be found on yours too.

Out of a sudden, a minor headache attacks you causing you to let out a short painful moan. Sehun freaks out beside you. You clutch your hands on your head, bracing the pain for a few more minutes before it finally fades away. At that point, you’re already breathless and a thin layer of sweat has formed on your forehead.

“Hey, are you okay?”, he peers at you, voice laced with worry. You nod your head, assuring him that you’ll be fine. After contemplating a few times, he asks you ever so carefully, “Does this has to do with the ‘Z-whatever’ fluids in the knife that stabbed you? You know, the one that your uncle created. I’ve heard him saying about the pain that will come and go but it will haunt you till the end.” You shrug a ‘maybe’, still massaging your head to ease the after effect of the pain. “Should we tell Suho? Maybe he could- “

“Don’t. Keep this as a secret. I don’t want to involve them in such petty things like this. Promise me, will you?”

Even though he wants to argue, he knows best that El could be hard headed at time and always win in every argument so he reluctantly nods.

*

They brought Mingyu and you to the café today since they’re in need of extra hands since there’s more customers to be serve on weekends. Mingyu is assigned to take the orders while you’re thrown to the kitchen to help Kyungsoo in making desserts. You’re no expert in baking so Kyungsoo taught you everything including kneading the dough and garnishing the cupcakes. There’s time when you spilt the flour on the countertop and failed to separate the yolk from the egg white. Mingyu and Chanyeol mocked you for that and you just flipped them off. It was fun to say the least since you’re able to the delicious remnants on your fingers whenever Kyungsoo was not looking and able to decorate the desserts based on your own preferences.

It’s ten past six and the boys are in the kitchen, after placing the ‘close’ sign on the café’s front minutes ago. They help Kyungsoo and you in cleaning the mess that possibly you’ve made throughout the day without even realizing.

Chanyeol is singing his lung out while wiping the flour that scattered all over the countertop and floor. Few groans can be heard in the background but either he’s too immersed in his singing or he’s just super ignorant and annoying. After what feels like hours for their ears, Sehun could not take it anymore. He stode toward the countertop, collected as much flour in his palms and threw it at the back of Chanyeol’s head. The latter spun around so quick that he almost slapped Kyungsoo’s in the face, and shrieked, “Who the hell did that?!”. Sehun continued washing the dishes, maintaining his poker face and successfully getting away from being caught for his doing. Chanyeol kept on ranting about how everyone is just jealous for his melancholy voice and that he’s going to be famous for it one day. Mingyu snickered at that and soon burst into laughter, Suho following after which was probably the worst thing to do since Chanyeol seemed to assume that both the kids are the actual culprit. In a split second, Chanyeol managed to shower Suho with a bowl of flour (which supposed to be Kyungsoo’s for his cookies). Then, he reached for the sack of flour that has been left opened, and threw it with all his might at Mingyu.

Unfortunately, it landed on you since Mingyu took off to hide behind you, seeking for protection from the giant’s rage before the attack happens. You swore under your breath and glared at Chanyeol, planning various ways of murdering him ever so painfully. You cut down the distance between you two, ready to beat him into pulp when you heard Kai snorts. Unsatisfied with the noise he’s made, you changed your target. You grabbed the last few eggs available on the tray and aimed it directly on Kai’s lovely face.

You’re never one to miss your targets and at times like this you’re proud of your perfect aiming. Kai’s face is now slimy and even his hair is sticky with bits of egg shell and yolk smothered on it. Everyone remained silent for the next 2 minutes, afraid of the Alpha’s reaction except for you who’s dusting invisible dust on your hands with a smirk on your face. Kai moved his head slowly, digesting the fact that he’s soaked with egg and meet your gaze. That’s when all hell break loose. He threw a spatula your way in which it hit Kyungsoo’s forehead, you ducked under the countertop, grabbed a lemon and sent it flying at Sehun’s head in which he almost fell head first in the sink, unable to brace the sudden impact. Chanyeol used his height to hit everyone on their heads using a broom, bumped into Baekhyun in the middle of the kitchen and involuntarily trips Kai’s off his feet. Suho dragged the water hose located at the back of the café and sprayed all of you with gallon of water, not minding the raise that might happens in their water bills.

At the end of the day, all of you received a scolding from Kyungsoo for wasting the ingredients, forming a mess and causing a bruise to blossom on his forehead (which supposedly is yours and Kai’s fault). All of you end up returning home 2 hours later than usual.