013

Crimson Canine

Siwon was walking with his 2 year-old daughter, Sua with his 4 year-old son,Sean in tow, around the forest to let them experience seeing the green environment up close instead of looking at it in photos. He wants them to relish the originality and freshness of mother’s nature in person, something that his own dad did back when he was their age. His wife, Chae was against their little trip into the woods because ‘who knows what kind of animals live there’ reasoning but being the sweet talker that he is, he’s able to talk her down into letting them have their dad-and-children moments together. 

All of a sudden, Sean blurted out that he’s about to pee to his dad in which his dad let him strayed deeper into the bushes to clear his urinary bladder. While waiting for Sean, Siwon picked Sua into his arms and swirled her around while making aeroplane noises, Sua giggled happily at that. Sean, on the other hand has just finished zipping his pants up and about to return to his dad when he heard noises coming from beyond the bushes. He remembered his dad saying that there possibly wouldn’t be anyone else other than them since its weekday and people have works to do on such time. He called out for his dad but was ignored since he’s too immersed playing with Sua. “Dad, can I join them? They seemed fun to be with”. Siwon heard it the second time since the word ‘them’ was way suspicious to be ignored. Who’s on Earth would be playing in the woods on weekdays especially a very hectic Tuesday? “Dad?” Siwon stepped towards Sean, who’s tiptoeing to look over the bushes and he followed his son’s gaze.

It’s a very large clearing with no trees or plants evident around the perimeter, green-floored of fluffy grass which looks tempting enough to anyone who saw it to lay down on it and have a short nap under the wide blue sky. There’s three persons at a fair distance from them, specifically a girl and two boys throwing punches at one another -more like the boys are attacking the only female there. Siwon assumed that they’re the ‘them’ that Sean has mentioned and he sure didn’t find them ‘fun to be with’ at all. Sean watched as the tall boy with big ears crouched down and swiped his legs at the girl, abled to make her fall first on the ground. The other boy who looked like he’s just walked out from a model magazine, barely giving the girl time to recover from the first blow, raised his fist and aimed it at the girl’s head. To Siwon’s relief, the girl succeeded in avoiding the punch that would probably crack her skull as she turned her head to the right and kicked her opponent above her right on his groin. Siwon winced at the sound the charming boy made and prayed that he’ll get well soon.

“Hey, um, are you lost?”. Siwon tensed. He’s been too into the fight that he didn’t realized a sudden presence in front of him. A boy who seems to be the same age as those boys and girl, with big round eyes and thick lips, was looking at him rather nervously, hands fidgeting as he repeated his question towards Siwon. “Oh no no. I’m just passing by and my son wants to pee when we stumble into, uh, this”, he made a gesture with his hands pointing at the fight. The boy let out an insincere chuckle, as he stuttered, “Oh they’re just playing. You know, youth our age likes to quarrel in a friendly manner. It isn’t dangerous at all. Trust me.” The fight was far from a friendly one. It looked too surreal to be a fun battle and he wasn’t that blind to not notice the blood that stained the girl’s tee and the cuts on the tall boy’s cheek.

Siwon was about to drag Sean away and comes up with an excuse to flee from the scene when a swooshing object flew past him and hit the tree trunk behind him. His hand tightened around Sua who’s now sleeping on his shoulder, his other hand clamping around Sean’s little one unintentionally. His eyes as wide as saucers, roamed around wildly in search of any kind of threat. He’s way beyond freaked out and so did the boy in front of him. Another tall boy with cute dimples in stripe t-shirt jogged towards them. “Sorry, I’m a bit distracted since Kai is eyeing me like a freaking prey that he’ll slaughter if I failed so I kinda missed my target”, he said sheepishly while scratching the back of his head. The latter was holding a bow on his left hand and it didn’t take Siwon long to know that it’s an arrow that has flew past him. Siwon shuddered, wondering if the real target was actually him considering the fact that he was mere inches from the arrow. Gripping tighter on his children, he made a silly excuse of wanting to pee to the boys and ran away for his dear life. He swore that it will be the last time he’s going to the forest again and promised to be a better husband to his wife.