An Element of Surprise

Fifth Season
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Though I cannot express all of my feelings,

It’s okay because you know everything and smile.”

 

 

Her memories started to appear into her mind slowly. She looked questionably at the young girl that was suddenly in front of her. She could not recognize her at all, until she heard the girl opening .

 

“Ji Hoon!” The little girl squeaked, just as a boy ran up to her. She watched quietly as they hugged and ran off, disappearing into somewhere she could not see.

 

Da Young immediately knew what this was. The memory she had lost when she was a child. The memories with him. Park Ji Hoon.

 

She felt hot tears flowing down her face after a couple of minutes as she continued to watch all those memories she had forgotten, the times when she had spent with Ji Hoon. How much it was a pity that she could never remember any of these all because of the kidnap that had happened to the both of them.

 

The memories soon transitioned to another scene. She could not see anything at all. It was very dark. Until she heard the same voice a few moments ago.

 

“Let… go of Ji Hoon!” Little Da Young was screaming as she tugged helplessly at a man she could not recognize.

 

There were two men standing next to a big grey van. One of the man, whom looked very buff and was bald, was holding onto a frightening looking Ji Hoon while she watched her little self tugging onto the other man, who was slim, helplessly, hoping that it would let Ji Hoon go. But instead, the man just grabbed Da Young by the neck and tossed her into the van along with Ji Hoon.

 

As the lean man closed the door, she could hear the cries of herself and Ji Hoon. She realized that it would have been really scary to be in that position. She watched painfully as the scene transitioned to an abandoned warehouse where the two kids were tied back to back, looking as frightened as they could be, and then it moved on, to the last scene, where the buffer man threw the kids onto a shaky looking boat and climbed in as well. The lean man was already starting the boat.

 

“Umma!” Little Da Young was screaming as she looked back at the land, the boat was drifting further and further away into the sea. On land, the police and the families had arrived.

 

“Shut up!” The buff man snarled, smacking the two kids and they kept quiet immediately, whimpering silently. They had finally lost hope of being rescued. They were nowhere near land and it was very scary.

 

“I love you, Da Young,” she heard Little Ji Hoon’s frail voice.

 

“I love you too-“ Little Da Young started but was cut off abruptly.

 

The boat made a loud whirling noise and the boat stopped, in the middle of the sea. Now, Da Young and Ji Hoon were looking at one another, scared and terrified. They kept quiet as the kidnappers started to cuss in front of them, trying everything to get the boat moving, but they never worked. Instead, the boat tipped over sharply. Da Young shrieked but Ji Hoon was still holding onto her and they fell straight into the water.

 

Everything happened in a blur. The younger version of Da Young and Ji Hoon were flinging their arms around, trying to swim even with their hands interlaced into one another.

 

They stayed in the water for a couple of seconds, moving, until Da Young stopped moving. Ji Hoon was screaming, but no sound came out from his water-covered mouth. He was still holding onto the unconscious girl’s hand but it was useless, she stopped moving.

 

But just as he tried to wake her up for the second time, their hands were pulled away from one another. Someone had taken Ji Hoon while the other had taken Da Young, pulling them further and further away from one another…

 

Da Young opened her eyes. She took a sharp inhale, not knowing where she was. She glanced around, but all she could see was brightness, in the mix of white and blue. She squinted against the intensity of the light. Am… Am I in heaven? She asked herself.

 

She continued to stare at the plain spot. Have I finally… died? She grinned to herself. Alas, there were no more worries for her. Slowly, she closed her eyes, enjoying this new sight of peace.

 

It did not last for long when she started to feel bothered by a timid mutter. She could not hear who or what it was but she refused to open her eyes.

 

She frowned as she tried to listen to the voice closer. It too a few moments for her to decipher what the sound was.

 

“Is she going to wake up?” She heard a low voice. It sounded oddly familiar to her, but yet, she did not know who it was.

 

“Of course. This girl is so stupid…” She heard a second voice that was accompanied by a sigh. “Why did she even think of diving into the river? Didn’t she know that I was worried?”

 

She opened her eyes immediately as soon as she heard the second voice.

 

“Oh my!” The first man gasped as he saw her body shifting.

 

“Seongwoo?” She flipped herself around so her stomach lay on the sandy ground. Her everywhere was in pain and she grimaced but refused to scream in pain. She glanced at her best friend’s shocked face and then at his company and back at him. “How… how did you find me? And I’m not dead yet?”

 

“Of course you’re not dead yet,” The first man said quietly. His wet black hair blocked his eyes.

 

“How did you even save me? Why didn’t you just let me die?” She asked, tears glistening around her eyes.

 

“Do you think everything would be okay once you die?” The black haired man snapped. He started to frown at Da Young before turning back to Seongwoo. “What was the point in saving her then?”

 

“Stop, Minhyun. You must forgive her… she must be in shock and… distress,” Seongwoo placed a hand on the male’s shoulder- just as Da Young noticed something odd.

 

She gasped. “Se-Seongwoo… M-Minhyun,” She glanced from her best friend to the quiet yet handsome boy. “Where are your shirts and… w-what happened t-to you-your legs?”

 

Seongwoo and Minhyun glanced at one another. “Just the right time for you to notice…” Minhyun sighed as Seongwoo flicked her forehead.

 

Minhyun opened his mouth to explain but was interrupted immediately by Da Young. “Please tell me this is a joke. I never knew that you have ever wanted to dress up as a mermaid for Halloween-but this is not Halloween goddam-“

 

“Oh my gosh, Im Da Young! Can you stop freaking out and just take a moment for us to explain to you?” Minhyun snapped.

 

“And we are not mermaids… we are mermen,” Seongwoo added.

 

“So… where shall I start?” Minhyun took the silence as an opportunity but sighed immediately. “So, who are we and what are we…”

 

“I know that already-“ Da Young cut in.

 

“Shut up, would you, Da Young?” Seongwoo joked as he chuckled.

 

Minhyun looked down, he did not know how to continue because of Da Young.

 

“Okay,” he looked up. “I’m not going to beat around the bush anymore an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter