Chapter 9 : Battle of Hearts Part II

Rich Society
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 9 Battle of Hearts Part II

 

In order to win something, do something. In battling for love, it's not the physical strength that's needed but how strong the emotions and feelings are and how long the mental stability can stand and hold on which makes it the hardest competition of all time. Once one of these aspects breaks and crumbles, then a lost is expected. The contest for love is extraordinary because people fight for it not for glory but they fight for the legitimacy it can bring for them.

 

The most anticipated weekend finally commenced, Jennie's charity event. In an open field at dawn where sun is about to take a peek from the sky, there everything and everyone needed are gathered altogether. Staffs who were oriented beforehand are organizing the volunteers for their respective tasks, some talks to the well-behaved media covering the event with photos and videos and some are loading all the things to be used and to be distributed on the countryside. This entire event was organized and perfectly systematized event is prepared no other than the proud Jennie currently present to watch out for everyone.

 

"What the hell is the meaning of this?" That's Lisa thundering the moment she arrived at the field.

 

Lisa knew the set-up for this event as she was informed, being one of the volunteers she signed up for. She knows they'll be riding these buses ready to take off anytime soon. She prepared herself for this huge number of crowd she'll go along with and that she has to wear the color code, black shirt for males and pink shirt for females covered with their jackets as the cold season is about to start. She's aware of how her day will start hectic and braced herself for the fatigue but never was she oriented to see her fiancé tagging along with Jisoo and not to her.

 

"You're late." Nayeon pulled the dumbfounded Lisa in her stand to join the lineup of volunteers who are already working hard.

 

Lisa resisted from being dragged as she complains, "Why is Jisoo here and why is she with Jennie? That's supposed to be me working beside her! This is so unfair! I came here to help Jennie but look who's there with her!"

 

Nayeon pulled Lisa by the ear and rustles, "Are you an idiot? Can't you see around you? Media and nosy people are everywhere! You're unknown to everybody in here! No one knows you're a Manoban and that you're her fiancé! If you go there clinging around Jennie then everyone will find you doubtful. At least for Jisoo, she's a well-known woman and everyone knows her. No one will suspect her."

 

"But I want to go with Jennie..." Lisa wept and so abandoned watching Jennie smiling and laughing together with Jisoo from afar, with the media surrounding them like celebrities.

 

Nayeon is grossed of Lisa’s childish cries but still, thinking of her best friend, she was left no choice but to say, “Jennie also wished for this so quit complaining.”

 

“Huh? What do you mean?” Lisa ceased from her cries and glared at Nayeon.

 

“Jennie is thankful you volunteered today. She was telling me about you earlier before she went to Jisoo. She’s also dejected that she cannot tag along with you because she’s thinking of your sake. Because once you’re introduced to everyone and finds out that you’re her fiancé and a Manoban, you might not be able to push through with your dreams anymore and be happy as you are. Remember, you have dance competition to win too and if the public knew you’re linked to Jennie, it might be dangerous to go on and you might be forced to quit from the group as well. Your life will start to get tight which you obviously don’t want to happen. Jennie is only thinking of you that’s why she decided to let you come but not to be with her.” Nayeon explained wholeheartedly.

 

Jennie has worthy intents and as expected another intelligent decision but despite of how she cleverly thinks, Lisa can only be more disappointed to herself considering, “Does that mean she has to face the people alone? Why does she have to think of me first before she thinks of herself?”

 

“Why, are you willing to reveal yourself just so that you can go her? Lisa, this is just for today and after this you’ll be with her again. She’ll go back home with you, okay? So please, behave yourself like how Jennie asked you to do and don’t ruin anything. You signed up for this and you cannot cancel anymore. Go and do your job if you don't want to be labelled.” Nayeon strictly warned Lisa and left her dejected all by herself.

 

Lisa never thought acting like a stranger can be this agonizing, so painful that by just merely seeing Jennie with someone else already maddens her. “Damn! Why am I so useless?” So she reflected to herself before complying with the orders to help out as said.     

 

Jennie on the other hand is handling the interviews being the event's conductor and assisting her in catching some of the questions from other media is Jisoo, doing interviews back-to-back which are a huge help in Jennie's part. The media and reporters who were invited to cover this event were properly chosen and none of them are as bashful as those of paparazzi tailing them anywhere and anytime, all are respectful and composed.

 

"Miss Jisoo, I'll just have a quick question before we go and travel to the countryside." A careful reporter approached Jisoo standing in front of a bus surrounded by other people.

 

The humble Jisoo returns a smile and agrees, "Yeah sure. We still have much time before departure."

 

"We were surprised to see you arriving here with Jennie Kim. We never thought you're this close to her. How long has it been since you’ve known each other?" She was asked directly.

 

Jisoo professionally answers, "Jennie and I attend the same university and we got to know each other more around the campus. She's the first one I met when I transferred and she helped me a lot. I guess I can say that we're this close since my first day in the university. She’s easy to be with and she’s very humble. Even I was amazed when we first met."

 

"It's good to see that you are helping out in this event." The reporter remarked.

 

Jisoo was severely advised to be careful with her words but still, a part of her cracked, breaking the warnings as she informs the media, "Jennie is a special friend of mine. I want to support her endeavors. But of course, what I adore the most is her modesty and her willingness to help the poor. I also want to let the public know that we, in the rich society so they called us, don't only think of ourselves and we also extend our helping hands to the needy. Jennie has taught me of that so I'm taking part in this event alongside with her."

 

"This event sure is star studded and now it's trending in our country. Is it also true that Rosé will be participating too?" Another question was asked.

 

"Well, according to Jennie, yes she is one of today's participants. I just don't know what time she'll be around. Hopefully she'll arrive soon since any time from now we'll have to go. Please do look forward to her appearance too." Jisoo responded with the same beam she radiates.

 

"I hope everything goes well. Thank you for your time Miss Jisoo."

 

And from the other side of the bus is Jennie being photographed and interviewed nonstop at the same time. The event hasn't even started yet. They haven't proceeded to the countryside yet she's already pressed with this morning pressure thumping her weak heart. Even though she may seem tired already, Jennie being a public figure and a role model to the most, she flashes her smile and sets aside her condition.

 

Seung-hyun who's stationed to stand just beside her, however still carefully warns the people and the media, "Please don't be too harsh and pushy. Please think of Jennie's health as well. "

 

"I'm still fine oppa. You don't have to guard me all the time." Jennie hissed to him but her smile remains the same for everyone.

 

"I just want to make sure. I don't want to lurk around then I'd suddenly see you stumbled on the ground. Your parents might end my life and my career you know. They'll definitely roast me if something happens to you." Seung-hyun said and pulled Jennie back for a wider distance between her and the interviewers in front.

 

Jennie disregarded his words as she gives the first interviewer a queue, "Please go ahead. I'll go on taking questions."

 

So the first question goes, "It seems like you gathered more volunteers than expected, which is great to see and know that a lot are interested. You're truly inspirational to the young aspirants. But, a lot are also worried for your health condition and you noticeably brought your doctor this time. For everyone's information, may we know your current condition? Will you be able to handle heavy duties like this event until the end?"

 

And the composed Jennie answers calm, "First of all, thank you for such a heartwarming compliment. I really do hope that through this event and to the help we can provide, a lot more of people will be inspired. Thank you for worrying about me too but I have to say everyone shouldn't worry too much. For today, I can say I'm stable and the reason why I have my doctor with me today is because of emergency situations. Honestly I don't know what will happen throughout the entire day we're in this activity so he presented to come. And since this is a large scale event, I can't possibly hold it on my own with only few of my friends just like the past charity events I conducted so I asked for volunteers. We didn't ask for a lot of help from volunteers for nothing. They're here to make my work easier and lesser and with that I hope I'll just be as well until the end of the event."

 

"Will your fiancé attend to help you out today? We were expecting that you'll be with her today and that we'd finally see her around and reveal her identity. It's surprising you arrived with the Prime Minister's daughter instead."

 

The question asked was simple yet it made Jennie think so deep. Upon asking, Jennie's eyes inevitably searched everywhere and from afar meddling along with the other ordinary people, helping out from carrying boxes into the truck, she detected Lisa occasionally glancing to her and as a result, they accidentally shared eye contact for the first time today. She can see Lisa waving her hands up with a huge grin in her lips, using every ounce of her time to see her as they stare at each other but Jennie resisted from waving back and returning a smile not to be busted from the media's sharp senses.

 

"Uhm... Miss Jennie?" The reporter tried calling out to Jennie who spaced out for a minute.

 

Jennie snaps back to her right mind and recollects her thoughts before answering safely, "My fiancé did help with the preparations but unfortunately she cannot be with me today because of other errands she has to work on. We already talked about it so there's no problem. However, we do have mutual friends who are here today. And later on I'm hoping Rosé will be here too. She's also one of our friends so we managed to ask her to be a part of this event."

 

"This event really is powerful. It's like all of the most influential people from different institutions came together." The amazed reporters commented and Jennie just answered with a bright shy smile which didn't escape from the cameras to capture her beauty.

 

Not long after Jennie has done answering the media’s queries for their reports, Chaeyoung’s van was seen parking on a side. Naturally, the media recognized Chaeyoung’s car and immediately approached as it opened and she went down gorgeously, captivating everyone’s eyes and attention. And as she did, Jennie who saw the attention she’s unintentionally grabbing from everyone, she urgently signaled her guards to protect her from any possible harm.

 

“Look at her getting all the attention.” Her bitter best friend grumbled as she joined her in her position near the lined up buses.

 

But Jennie only laughs at her, “C’mon, it’s not like she wished for it. And look at her; she’s just as simple as we are. She’s even wearing the right pink dress code. She has good intentions and the media aren’t as hasty as those you see on tabloids.”

 

“Geez, you’re just too kind. What if she’s actually your nightmare dressed like a daydream? You know, ex-girlfriends are deadly.” Nayeon meanly whispered.

 

But then again Jennie only chuckles, “I already heard that from a song. Don’t season her with malicious thoughts. Let’s just keep doing our jobs so that we can move on later.”

 

No one pressed Chaeyoung and no one dared to harass her as what’s instructed to everyone before this momentous day approached. The media only captures endless photos of her but keeping a distance she needs with Jennie’s guards ensuring her way. Some questions are also being asked but Chaeyoung decided to answer none of it and continues on marching forward to her destination.

 

Just like an ordinary person, Chaeyoung joins the crowd of volunteers. She’s expected and supposedly pays for a talk with this event’s conductor; however, as her eyes lay on Lisa who doesn’t seem to even care of her arrival, she went to her first and foremost. She’s happy to see her and because of her overwhelming emotion, she found herself automatically approaching her, ignoring of the media tailing her from behind.

 

“Hi.” Chaeyoung poked Lisa’s cheeks then smiles, “I’m so glad you came too. Let’s work hard for today.”

 

Lisa stepped a meter back from her close approach. She’s taken aback of her unexpected intimacy, hence, speechless and unable to look at her straight into the eyes. Though she forced out a quick smile while she looks away, the snooping people won’t let their questionable closeness slide. Lisa is obviously uneasy and uncomfortable knowing that people’s eyes are on them and worse Jennie is looking at them being this close.

 

“Do you know her Rose? You seem to be a little too close.” A reporter asked as they noted Chaeyoung’s hands snaking around Lisa’s stiffed arms.

 

“Yeah.” Chaeyoung carelessly answered.

 

Then the reporters shifted their attention to Lisa and turns to ask her out of curiosity, “Excuse me but who are you might be?”

 

“Eh? W-well…” Lisa got startled.

 

Lisa has nothing to say and got no proper response to tell. She isn’t used being surrounded like this with all attention waiting for to open for a reliable answer. Even though she has experiences performing on stages, this situation is way different for there’s no one and nothing to hype her up, instead she’s pressured to death. And this is when she realized how Jennie suffers facing the public, too much pressure and how difficult it is to be lawfully part of rich society.

 

“She’s Rose’s personal assistant.” Jennie appeared from behind after she has observed of her fiancé’s tight situation and saved her from the grilling she’s not used to.

 

Lisa glared at her in shock, questioning her intently through the eyes, “What the hell are you saying? I never heard of that!”

 

Jennie though ignores Lisa’s glares and covers her up as she stands in front, “As I said, she’s Rose’s personal assistant but only for today and at the same time she’s a friend of mine. I was the one who personally asked her to assist Rose today that’s why her name isn’t included on the list. She’s here earlier than her for a prior check and ensures Rose’s safety for this event. Please don’t burden her because she’s not used to this kind of attention.”

 

To back her up is Jisoo who also perceived the tight situation, “I humbly ask your cooperation. Now you may now proceed to the bus intended for the media. We’re all set-up and ready to go.”

 

The media was well-fed by Jennie’s accurate lie, believing every single word that her pure mouth babbled. Everyone, the participants and the media, all went to their respective buses assigned to them with the guide of some volunteers. All that’s left in their positions are the four who think the same, waiting for the crowd to disperse slowly around them until there are only four of them left.

 

“What the hell does this supposed to mean Jennie?” Lisa angered the moment their surrounding is all cleared out and no one to hear her complaining and addressing Jennie informally.

 

Jisoo reacts so dismayed in her behalf, “Jennie just saved you and that’s how you thank her?”

 

“Shut the hell up! I’m not talking to you! I’m talking to my fiancé!” Lisa yelled at her but Chaeyoung pulled her a little back, telling her to slow down and lower her tone. But Lisa goes on mad, “I can endure and I understand that we can’t even stand beside each other today but to put a label on me without my consent and treat me as if I’m almost a stranger to you is unacceptable! Why do you have to do this? Do we necessarily have to go this far?”

 

Jennie heard her so clear and internalized all of her anger. Unknown to Lisa, of course Jennie herself was hurt of what she’s done but it’s worth the sacrifice as she believes. Yet being today’s main attention, she has to continuously put up a tough front and be the woman everyone expects her to be, thus eating her emotions in and let it hammer her palpitating heart.

 

Jennie’s so afraid to look into Lisa’s fuming eyes and so she responds looking away, “Then tell me, how will you respond to their question if I didn’t come? Are you seriously thinking that you can tell the whole world you’re Rose’s ex-lover and that you’re my fiancé? Are you willing to announce that on the spot?”

 

Lisa fumed and turned so furious she didn’t realize and think of the possible things waiting ahead of her carelessness if ever. She failed to pick up Jennie’s fast decision making and failed to comprehend the intentions of her act. For a moment she felt guilty, and as time ticks she feels more useless than before, for she’s saved yet again. She didn’t ask for her to be saved yet thanks to that, she’s once again covered from rich society’s cruelty which she never wished to be part of.

 

“I’m so sorry if I’m messing things up. If I didn’t approach Lisa in the first place then none of this would be happening.” Chaeyoung voiced out as their exchange of words heated.

 

“No. it’s not your fault. I couldn’t think of any better excuses a while ago that’s why I ended up saying such thing.” Jennie returned her apology with a faint smile, evidently stressed out.

 

Chaeyoung cautiously confirms, “Is it alright unnie? I mean, is it alright if I’ll stay with Lisa for the whole event?”

 

Lisa eyed on her fiancé, hoping she’d say no and disagree but there goes Jennie affirming gladly, “Of course it’s alright. Lisa said it herself to me before that she wants to help that’s why she came here in the first place and I wish she really does. Besides, it would be better if you’ll have someone to be with since you obviously don’t know anyone around.”

 

Lisa's pettiness kicked in, letting her be beaten by her emotions as she sulks over Jennie's pretentious act of approval. With a grumble she expresses her frustration, "Oh I see. So that's what you really want to happen. Okay, if that's what you want then I'll do my job flawlessly without any fail."

 

Before Jennie could even protest, Nayeon came interjecting, "I don't know what the four of you are talking about in there but we better get going. You're the only ones being waited in our bus."

 

Lisa pulled Chaeyoung with her, giving Jennie one last hurtful glimpse before they walked away together. Whereas Jennie stands there watching her fiancé in the arms of her past and helpless but to let her go, be hurt by the view and act like it's not hurting at all. Thankfully she has Jisoo, somehow managing to calm her agitated heart as they later followed the group inside the bus.

 

"Are you alright?" Jisoo asked after Jennie failed to make one stride ahead going to their seats and panted.

 

Jennie hideously massaged her chest and smiles back at Jisoo, "I'm fine. I just got a little dizzy..."

 

Jisoo though won't easily believe such obvious lie after that huge breath she took and another set of big pants before she settled on her seat and she occupied just right beside her. No matter how strong and tough Jennie can put up in front of the public, once alone and out of the attention, she's as fragile as the thinnest glass, easily broken and has a sensitive condition.

 

Worried to the fullest, Jisoo grabbed Jennie hands, have it intertwined with hers and let it rest in her lap. As the startled Jennie glared at her, she only beamed at her in hopes to lighten her burden and said, "I'll just stay right beside you. I'll never leave you. I promise."

 

Jennie felt Jisoo's sincerity through her touch that's so gentle and assuring, so secured and felt her devastation earlier vanished. So she squeezed that warm hand locked in her and genuinely whispers, "Thank you Jisoo. I'm glad you're with me today."

 

"If only you'll ask me to stay with you forever then I'd probably say yes too." Jisoo pulled out a joke laughing at her own statement but deep inside she meant it as she pulled Jennie closer to her.

 

"You're funny." Jennie blushed and only smiled at her then rests her head onto Jisoo's shoulders for a nap she needs badly.

 

Their assigned bus isn't packed and only the VIPs like them occupied it, and among them is Lisa who is with Chaeyoung at the back most seats. For Jennie and Jisoo occupied the seats way far at the front, Lisa clearly saw how they flirted and how Jennie cradles closer to Jisoo as she dozed off. Now she feels regretful that she let her immature side take over her, so remorseful she wants to attack and break them apart.

 

"I hate this. I really hate this! Why can't I do anything about this? Damn... do they really have to be that close? Is it necessary for them to cling like that in front of me?" Lisa cursed at the back of her mind while she tries her very best to hold back.

 

Chaeyoung who has been sitting beside Lisa the entire time followed to where her deathly glares are pointing at, only to realize it's towards Jisoo who's taking care of her fiance. She also has her fists clenching against her jeans and she can rip it off anytime if possible. Because of Lisa's fixated glares onto the two, Chaeyoung was initially treated nonexistent, like a ghost who doesn't exist in real life.

 

Chaeyoung naturally feels hurt as the person she wants to take back is indeed physically with her but mentally and emotionally absent. And desperate of her attention, she also leans her head onto Lisa's shoulders and acts cute, "Can I rest for a bit? I didn't get any sleep last night."

 

Lisa's heart raced upon the con

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter