Chapter 10 : Stupid Girl

Rich Society
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 10 Stupid Girl

 

Life is all about making the proper decisions and choices. Everything in life is a reflection of choices that people make, that they thought of. Creating decisions and picking up from the choices is known to be the hardest to make, especially when torn between where they should be and where they really wanted to be. Decision varies, choices differ and so do the results and outcomes that contrast, that come right after. For life is all about decisions and choices, it can determine destiny, potentially molding a future from what’s chosen in the past and decided on the present.

 

“Hey Jennie’s savior! What took you so long?” Bam harassed his friend in a rush.

 

And Minzy contradicts, “Nah~ Rose’s attractive personal assistant sounds better.”

 

“Guys will you just shut up and let’s focus! We’re about to perform for this quarter finals! If we lose I’m going to blame you all!” The mocked friend of theirs barked.

 

The group is currently on full preparation in this crowded backstage they settled on. The night has come for them to step on that stage again for the quarter finals they have been grinding on for the past days and compete for something bigger, to achieve and soar higher. They stay as merry as they are, trying to shake off this nervousness they are inevitably feeling and can only get more looking at their competitors walking around, passing back and forth.

 

“You’re too careless during the event Lisa. We can’t avoid but to keep on pointing it out to you.” Taeyang later also remarked while stretching his leg muscles on a corner.

 

A few days have passed ever since that day, the charity event where Lisa, being one of the main attractions all over the news took place. Various articles came out and different opinions and comments appeared about her presence, her labeled as Jennie’s savior, mysterious friend, Rose’s good looking assistant and many more that she don’t want to recall anymore. Lisa is never used to this much attention she’s getting from the mass, and as a result, at one point she felt uncomfortable and anxious everywhere she went to for the past days.

 

Lisa sits on a side, facing her group mocking her carelessness. And even though she has all of their teases and endless criticisms, she still put up with her side as she reasons, “I couldn’t help it. I couldn’t hold it back. Jisoo was all over Jennie. She was there collapsing and I was doing nothing. She was in pain and I just can’t stand and watch it. How can I just afford to watch her being taken care of someone else? I’m her partner…”

 

Lisa is in total setback, sighing in her seat as she brought her palms onto her enraged face. The look in Jennie’s face that day, her figure that collapsed helplessly onto that ground and she wasn’t there to see and catch her from falling and her desperation to get back up in her feet, all those scenarios flashed back to her. It feels like a nightmare for Lisa that she doesn’t want to remember yet it keeps on coming back every single day since it happened, not giving her anything good for every day she has to carry the guilt into her heart.

 

Taeyang saw this exasperation in Lisa. She doesn’t need comfort and definitely she doesn’t need soothing words to make her calm, that’s what Taeyang believes this time. She knew what happened, she was there and she’s absolutely aware of what she did. Lisa has no excuses to it; hence, Taeyang can only mention bluntly, “What you did was really stupid. You were so careless and reckless. You stepped up and suddenly appeared. Of course people will find it suspicious and questionable. It could have gotten worse if the Prime Minister’s daughter snapped out too. But you know what, although you may have acted hasty, I think it’s a good thing too.”

 

Lisa in blow looks up on him, “Oppa…”

 

Taeyang smiles gently and commends, “You did that for a good reason, for you to show how much you care for Jennie. At least, even with all those articles that came out, by the end of the day you felt good, right? You were there for Jennie and she wasn’t harmed. Good work for taking the risk.”

 

“All that matters is that she’s fine and she’s out there again to support you and you’re still here freely moving around and doing what makes you happy.” Minzy comforted and she got everyone in the group nodding in settlement.

 

But then Bam demands attentively, “By the way, have you already thanked Jennie? Well, she’s the one who faced the media and everything about your issue. If I’m not mistaken she was all over the newspapers too regarding what happened in the event. She’s in a hot pot from those blazing press.”

 

And it comes back to Lisa yet again. For the past days, for the days Lisa was the talk of the town, Jennie has been conducting interviews here and there, from morning to night and even inside the university wherein some persistent media managed to corner her. She handled all the questions, queries and cleared all the gossips by herself, be it about her unusual closeness with Jisoo and to her ‘mysterious friend’. She was aided and backed up by her parents however, yet it was her who kept Lisa’s identity hidden finished all unnecessary news in a flash.

 

“Jennie did a lot of good things during the charity event yet some nasty media only covered what’s hot for the general public.” Minzy sighed in disappointment at the recollection of those chinwags that came out left and right.  

 

Lisa however grinned at them, making them bewildered of her reaction. In overflowing confidence she stands up from her seat and right in the middle of their circled group she declares, “Don’t worry about that. I already thought of a way how to thank her.”

 

“How?” They all asked in unison.

 

Lisa smirks huge and further proclaims pacing around, “I’m going to ask her out on a date if we’ll win this quarter finals and move on to the semi-finals. What we did in the supermarket doesn’t feel like a date for me because, you see, I only did that to repent for something I did wrong. This time, I want a real date. You know, I’ve been actually thinking of taking her out for a romantic date, something that’s memorable and true. I bet she’d like it too because once in a while she’ll have a break from her busy life too. So, I’m planning to take her out on a date.”

 

“Woah!”

 

Lisa’s thrilled group all dashed to her and started bumping her in anticipation. Her proclamation made them flinched yet at the same time her cheesiness brought joy to her supportive friends. For she was never heard speaking this deep and earnest before, they can only get louder as if they’ve already won tonight’s battle and occasionally grabbing attention from the other disturbed participants in the backstage.

 

“Hey! Hey! When was the last time we’ve seen Lisa going on a date?” The cringing Bam asked everyone, still giggling in joy while poking Lisa’s flushing cheeks.

 

Minzy spanks him by the nape and hisses, “You idiot! Think before you speak, will you?”

 

“It’s with Chaeyoung.”  Lisa though openly answered, showing how unaffected she is with the past they accidentally brought out of Bam’s careless mouth. “C’mon guys, it’s a fact. She’s the last person I took out on a real date and you know the rest after her and before Jennie.” She then just laughed it off.

 

“Speaking of Chaeyoung, where is she now?” The others pondered.

 

Because a lot occurred in just one single event, Lisa can only remember all the happenings more and this time her mind dazed to Chaeyoung. Lisa haven’t seen and heard anything about her after that day as she ignored the news and the gossips unlike Jennie who faced them all. Knowing her, Lisa recognizes this isn’t the usual her, the Chaeyoung who would bravely face any hindrances blocking her and not a Chaeyoung who would avoid and shut like what’s happening now.

 

“That’s odd…” So Lisa thought at the back of her mind.

 

Later, the buzzer went off, distracting Lisa from her trail of thoughts about Chaeyoung’s bizarre peace from the entertainment world and bringing her mind back to this competition that’s about to start. For now she has to think no other than this race and get that win she needs the most as her date depends on this, whether it will push through or not. Lisa is determined in this resolution she has, so she put all her mind and heart on focus.

 

“Okay guys!” Taeyang clapped his hands and got his group circled for the last chant and encouragement, “It’s the quarter finals. We’re inching closer to our dream, to our goal. Our only choice is to win and hit that stage flawlessly. Also, Lisa’s date is on the line. Let’s not let this win slip in our hands! Did you understand?”

 

“Yes!” They all heaved their last cheer.

 

Their group was set to perform first and as soon as the announcer called out for their name, they all jumped up on the stage that’s brighter than before with some lights added everywhere, wider and bigger than before and the audience doubled as more supporters and fans from each group came to witness this intensifying dance competition. They have come this far, they’ve worked hard to stand on this stage and praying that more to come after a win, Lisa firmly stood there with the whole group.

 

“Jennie stands out too much with that light stick.” Her friends tittered while they position themselves in their respective spots before the music comes off.

 

On that thick wild crowd in the dark in front, Lisa can never miss out that one unique light waving frantically up high. Most have their phones lighted up as they sway it up the air, whereas Jennie brought her own light stick to make her stand out the most from anyone else. This is just one of the things she has learned to appreciate about Jennie, her unending support without asking anything in return. Yet, nonetheless, Lisa by herself, she wants to pay it back.

 

“I’ll definitely ace this for you and get that damn date.” And although Lisa cannot see her fiancé clearly into that dark wild crowd, she mouthed her purpose to her direction with such poised smirk she flashed before recomposing herself to start the performance.

 

Jennie stands there as nervous as the group can be. She has attended the previous rounds and she didn’t encounter any problems. She’s self-assured earlier that it would be the same, but this huge and larger crowd, she didn’t see this happening. If before she can stand still and have this peace while she cheers, now even merely standing is difficult for some people are already in their own hype and unsteady in their places. It’s hard, definitely a tough situation for someone as weak as her to be in. However, she chose to stay and forced to wave that light stick up above the air for her fiancé.

 

“Hey, that blonde girl, isn’t that the mysterious girl on the tabloids and social media some days ago? You know, she’s also called Rose’s attractive personal assistant.” Someone behind Jennie started gossiping with his friend.

 

And the other agrees, “Ah yeah. She’s that girl who carried Jennie Kim too. Maybe that really is her. Woah, who would have thought she’s in this competition? Do you think Jennie Kim or maybe Rose would be coming here to support her? I mean, I heard they are friends so it’s not impossible that they’ll be here to watch her.”

 

Hearing these gossips and growing murmurs made Jennie so conscious in her stand and pulled down her cap lower to lower the risk of getting busted under her simple disguise. She started to be so mindful of the people close to her and became more restless in her position which, as a result, causes discomfort in her chest and shortness of breath.

 

“Miss, are you alright?” A concerned audience still in his right mind worriedly asked, after noticing Jennie’s huge pants and got her light stick lowered and unable to raise it up.

 

Not wanting to be recognized, Jennie was forced to act cold and answered looking down, “I’m fine. Don’t mind me.”

 

The music which suddenly started banging all over the venue hall startled Jennie as she didn’t see them starting the performance right away. Lisa is doing better, more hyper and surely she’s growing and learning more. Lisa is up on that stage gracefully waving and popping her body together with her group just like how Jennie sways along with the music. Jennie feels this heartache building up gradually but she’s unsure if it’s from this tight place she’s in or from this growing affection she has for Lisa.

 

Jennie uses both of her hands she cannot raise up high to grip onto her stiffening chest as she overlooks the pain and continues on cheering, “It doesn’t matter. I don’t care what kind of pain this is. All I know is that I want Lisa and her group to win this tonight.”

 

The performance ended with a dynamic pose which got the crowd jumping in admiration and in hype. They have done their best for tonight and everybody knows that, solely basing on how hard they pumped out. The group, likewise, is delighted of their own performance as they have their lips grinning as they terminated their ending pose. The group flapped their hands for their supporters amongst the audience but not for Lisa who wanted to give her thumbs up to her fiancé first whom she cannot sight its light stick.

 

“Huh? Where is she?” Lisa mumbled and began wandering her eyes everywhere into the dark yet at the end, that light stick that brings her assurance cannot be found.

 

Lisa was left out on the stage and upon noticing, Taeyang immediately pulled her out and asks in the backstage, “What’s wrong?”

 

“I can’t see Jennie in the crowd. She would normally put her light stick up until we exit the stage but I can’t seem to see it. She was just right there before we started and all of you saw it too, right? But why did her light suddenly disappear?” Lisa breathlessly complained so frantic to her group gathered together.

 

Bam comes to the rescue as he lightens up Lisa’s deep thoughts, “Calm down Lisa. It’s just a light stick, okay? What if the battery got drained and failed to work that’s why she cannot light it up? You should know better, why would she suddenly disappear in the middle of the competition? She’s just there in the crowd, trust me.”

 

“You can’t get out of here and go to the crowd Lisa. You know that. Just wait for this to end then meet Jennie like the usual.” Minzy warned.

 

That’s Lisa’s problem, she knows better than anyone else and her instincts are telling her that something’s not right, something’s wrong more than just that. She wouldn’t feel this uneasy if it’s just over a simple matter as her friends say.  At the end, Lisa sat on a corner overly worried and waiting for the competition to end while the entire group monitors their competitors still performing consecutively on stage.

 

Henceforward, all the competitors are done with their performances and it’s time to announce who’ll advance to the semi-finals. All participants gathered on the stage. Everyone’s nervous waiting for their groups to be announced as winner or eliminated, similarly to Jennie who’s praying to all Gods for Lisa’s group’s victory.

 

“Please…” Jennie clasped her hands as she beseeched one last time from the above.

 

The announcer called Lisa’s group last, being one of the winners advancing to the semi-finals. It felt surreal for a second as they were stunned but after they have internalized what was just announced and after hearing the mixed reactions from the crowd, some booing and some cheering, the whole group went shouting in bliss. They couldn’t hide their emotions as they let it pour out on the stage, weeping while laughing in joy.

 

 “Oh my God! They did it! They won!” Jennie, as if she’s one of the members of the group, she busted out in tears

 

Jennie can clearly see her fiancé in tears and that eternal smile stained in her lips and this, she would always love to witness. Her happiness, her passion and her laughter, all are embedded into Jennie’s heart. Lisa has grown this much into Jennie like a permanent tattoo that only burning her own self can take it off from her.

 

Meanwhile, it’s on the same night that the most powerful man in the country joins his daughter for this dinner they rarely spend together. This isn’t a new happening for Jisoo to be glad of, either to be indifferent of as this has been going on ever since she was born. They seldom spend time together like this and surely, there are a lot of things to catch on, to talk about and share stories for each other. However, both the father and his daughter cannot bring themselves for such harmonious conversation for this night.

 

The Prime Minister gazes at his daughter sitting across him, eating in silence and shut herself from the world around her with those earphones blocking her ears. She isn’t the daughter he has always known who is a jolly and bright Jisoo. She barely smiles and looks at him the eyes. She doesn’t open to start off her silly jokes. Jisoo is in a total shut down as if he’s facing a different person who’s not his daughter.

 

As a prime minister, not as a father, he’s fed up her impolite attitudes she’s manifesting. He cleared his throat after that one glass of water and asks blunt, “How are you responding to those gossips and news going around lately? I warned you before you went to the charity event yet you still disobeyed.”

 

Jisoo has been receiving the same limelight as of Lisa. Though Lisa’s damage could be worse, being the Prime Minister’s daughter can bring the same and add spices to the gossips. The trustworthy news may have labeled her and Jennie as close friends and exaggerated it as best friends but tabloids and judgmental public did the unimaginable, commenting them as lovers, Jisoo being a third party, and some preferring her over the unknown Lisa as Jennie’s fiancé.

 

Indeed Jisoo saw all of these and heard her father questioning her just across the table as in the first place there’s nothing coming out of her earphones to block what’s around her. Nevertheless, for those gossips she went through the days, she might have hated some while she undeniably liked some; for instance, those people telling she and Jennie look good together.

 

Jisoo removed her earphones, finally done with her pretentious sluggishness but keeps her cold attitude by responding dull, “I already sent one of our secretaries to answer them for me. I told them we’re just close friends and there’s nothing more to that. There won’t be no harm or whatsoever.”

 

“How about those comments from the netizens, will you address it too? It’s becoming bigger while they hear nothing from you. Those people just can’t be contented with only Jennie answering them.” The father went on interrogating his moody daughter.

 

Again, Jisoo replies cold, “What’s the use of answering them? I’ll just add fuel to the fire. Jennie and I might also end up avoiding each other if I talk more. Isn’t it better to stay quiet and let it burn until the useless gossips turn into ashes?”

 

The Prime Minister isn’t satisfied with her responses. Aside from being cold, her complete change in attitude bothers him. And so he couldn’t help but to doubt, “Jisoo, you’re not doing anything bad, aren’t you?”

 

Jisoo finally raised her head and glared at her father, “What do you mean?”

 

“Ever since you told me you love Jennie, I just noticed your attitudes have changed. You get so quiet and not to mention, right now, you have murderous expression. I was just thinking that you might be doing something behind my back. For example, ruining the Manoban, maybe?” The Prime Minister frankly voiced out his thoughts, not caring for the possible outcome of his words.

 

Jisoo exhales loud and offended of her father’s accusations, she breaks out from her cover at last, “I’m already having a hard time trying to act like I’m all fine after what happened in that event yet you’re adding salt into it. I’m not doing anything wrong yet. So will you please stop this talk about Jennie and her God damn useless fiancé because I’m trying to move on?”

 

“I was just making sure you wouldn’t do something and anything to damage our family’s reputation. We’ve been receiving high rates from the citizens and I don’t want your issue with Jennie to be the cause of our downgrade.” The father resisted.

 

Which only made Jisoo’s anger doubled as she also debates in a high tone, “Really dad? You think about those damn rates first before your own daughter’s feelings?”

 

“It’s not like that!” The father slammed the table with his heavy hands, making Jisoo staggered in her seat. “Of course I care about you! I care about you that’s why I’m telling you not to get into trouble just because of your one-sided love for Jennie! You can love anyone you want to! I’m not stopping you but to get tangled into someone else’s relationship is something I cannot tolerate! It’s futile and you’ll just end up more miserable than what you are right now!” He then roared as he lectured.

 

Jisoo refused to understand her father’s concerns and only fuss more, “I don’t need your sermons dad! I know what I’m doing!”

 

“Then behave yourself!” Her father lastly roared before Jisoo stormed out of their dinner and rampantly walked up to her room.    

 

All these days, the defeat she encountered with Lisa is the reason over her distant attitudes. Her mind cannot accept it up until now that the case is almost closed and over. She can’t bring herself to overlook how powerless she got for fighting at her spot at Jennie’s side despite of being the most powerful daughter of the country. After all this time she has Lisa’s annoying victorious expression printed into her mind and now that it’s being mentioned once more, there’s no way she really can erase it out.

 

Jisoo recalled it all, how much of a disadvantage she got that day which only ended up her throwing continuous tantrums, “Damn that Lisa!”

 

In the meantime, Lisa’s victorious group celebrates their win at the backstage. However, Lisa herself dashed out from the venue and minded not of how glorious their group can be as of the moment. She has the reason to be happy but not if this uneasy feeling of worrying about her fiancé blocks her. She needs to see Jennie, she needs to meet her at the usual waiting spot Jennie always stands on and until she assures her safety that would only be the time she can be genuinely happy for the night.

 

“Where? Where?” Lisa panted the second she arrived on that usual spot with her heavy backpack but didn’t find her fiancé.

 

“Oh! Lisa! I’m here!”

 

Lisa had a mini heart attack when she saw none but relief straightaway came upon her at the sight of Jennie happily calling out to her in her new spot, far from those people coming out of the venue. Seeing her smile is enough for Lisa’s stress to vanish into the air and her anxieties fade into the dark. Jennie’s presence is all she needed to make her anxious heart at ease.

 

As Lisa jogged closer, Jennie immediately throws her first question, “Huh? Why did you come out so early? Aren’t you celebrating with your friends at the backstage?”

 

Lisa however questions back while panting heavy, “That aside, what happened to you? Your light stick suddenly went off. I didn’t see you waving at it after our performance and until they announced the winners.”

 

Although taken aback from Lisa’s unforeseen sharp observations, Jennie attempts to utter a lie, “W-well, the batteries ran out. I didn’t prepare for a spare one so I couldn’t lift it up anymore.”

 

Lisa finds it questionable. She has known Jennie this much and for this long that she can tell if she’s lying or not, only from how she spits out her words. As she’s still in doubt, she snatched that light stick Jennie is holding tight and checks it out herself, only to have it shining brightly, properly working as it has always been, contrast from what Jennie just said.

 

Lisa stances disappointed and glares at her guilty fiancé who cannot event lift up her head in embarrassment. She wanted to get mad and confront but chose to stay calm wanting to hear her explanation as she asks once again, “Jennie, we promised we shouldn’t lie with each other and no secrets in between, right? So please tell me, what happened in the crowd a while ago? You can’t tell me any more lies.”

 

“I uhh…” Jennie hardly started as she lowered her head but Lisa stepped closer, wordlessly forcing her to spit it out. Having no other way to run, she’s then forced to admit lowly, “It was a little uncomfortable in my place a while ago. I didn’t know the crowd would get bigger and I just felt suffocated and breathless. I guess I was stressed out from the hype. But I’m fine now, that’s why I’m standing farther away from those people coming out.”

 

Because Jennie has her head down the entire time she was explaining, she didn’t see an embrace from Lisa coming and have her fragile body be wrapped around Lisa’s arms once again. With a hand behind her head and other into the waist, Lisa let Jennie’s head be dipped onto her chest, giving her the chance to hear how loud her heart could get and that’s when Jennie heard it loud and clear, Lisa’s heartbeats that can be as fast and as loud as hers.

 

“Sorry…” Lisa first whispered softly close to Jennie’s inflaming ears. “I should have known it would be different tonight. I won’t let this happen next time. I’m sorry.” She then whispered more of her sincerity and hugged her tighter yet gently.

 

“Why are you apologizing? It’s not like you’re the competition’s organizer.” Jennie laughed against her chest, trying to ease Lisa’s liability.

 

Lisa tugged back but not letting go of her protective hold just to stare at that smile she needs to see every day and jokes, “Maybe I should hire bodyguards to protect you from the crowd. Semi-finals might get a lot dangerous than the past rounds.”

 

But Jennie only bursts into a louder laughter and with her cold palms she squeezes Lisa’s puffy cheeks and said, “You can’t be serious! I’ll end up grabbing attention from everyone if you do that. Next time, I’ll come more than prepared and I’ll make sure I won’t get into that uptight situation again.”

 

“You’re right.” Lisa giggled and finally set her fiancé free from her touch, but regretted deep inside as soon as she did.

 

Intimate moments like these, casual hugs, sweet laughter, romantic gestures and holding hands, have all become a customary without any tint of discomfort whenever they do so. They are becoming this ideal couple that people normally envy, Jennie believes so. They are taking another step further in this relationship they are forced to be on to, and hoping this comfort will go on, Lisa wants to relish this present given to her.

 

As they walk away from the venue hand-in-hand, going to wherever Lisa parked her car, Jennie goes back to her question, “By the way, you haven’t answered my question yet. Why did you come out early from the backstage? What did your friends say?”

 

Lisa repositioned their hands to intertwine and said leisurely, "The celebration can wait for the following days. What I need tonight is to get you back home and have some good night rest."

 

Jennie stopped halfway through their walk on the silent and narrow night street and so did Lisa who stared at her lovingly. She can see how Lisa have grown and changed so much from the first day they have met, from a foul mouth with disgusting dirty words to these careful and caring manners she can now show without hesitations. From an unruly heir to a responsible partner, that’s how Jennie views Lisa now and if only Jennie can boast this to the whole world, she already did but unfortunately all she can do to express how dignified she is through her sweet action she can only do to her at this very moment.

 

"Thank you, Lisa." Jennie flashed her sweetest smile before she leaned for a quick peck onto the side of Lisa’s lips, so close from giving her their first official kiss.

 

Lisa is completely stunned as she just received the best gift she can have for this triumphant night. She couldn't help but have this grin creeping up on her lips while Jennie drags her to move on from walking. There are fireworks going off her head, rejoicing that score she gained, definitely an achievement as her hard work pays off. It was only a quick kiss but it lasted long at the edge of her lips which relieves her from all the stress and fatigues she have been carrying onto her shoulders throughout the days.

 

As they continuously move ahead, Lisa inhaled all the bravery she can get from the air and finally speaks her aims, "When will you be available? I mean, your time. When are you free?"

 

Jennie then answers precise, "On weekdays, I'm free after my classes. As for the weekend, I'm often free the whole time unless my parents would want to see me then I might go back home."

 

"I see..." Lisa nodded.

 

"Why are you asking?" Jennie asked in curiosity as she looked up on Lisa whose wide nervous eyes are fixated on her feet that are striding short steps.

 

The request that Lisa thought would be easy to ask because Jennie is that kind of woman who can easily be approach is in fact one of the hardest things Lisa could ever do. Just one seductive smile and touch is enough to bring hookers on bed and make them hers but definitely, she cannot do the same to this one fine woman she wants to take seriously, and not one of her old plays she learned to get over with. Even starting one single word out of her trembling mouth became so hard until they have reached the car parked on a corner of the night road.

 

Jennie let go of their intertwined hands to run towards that shining sports car and this gave Lisa a chance to rub her cold nervous palms together. She doesn't want to prolong this tension and doesn't want this rare chance to slip away. She has to do it, and Lisa considers this as now or never because surely, for the next few moments, she might not have this same courage anymore.

 

"A-a-actually..." Lisa barely voiced out from behind, stopping Jennie from opening the car's door and she looks back on her.

 

"What?" Jennie waited as she stood beside the car with Lisa only a few meters from her.

 

Stoned in position, Lisa in breathless anticipation she asks fast, "Iwanttotakeyououtonadate!"

 

"Excuse me, what? Sorry, I didn't get it. You talked too fast, how do you expect me to understand that?" Jennie tended near and waits for Lisa to repeat in a slower phase.

 

And for the second and last time, Lisa breathes out all her tension and finally asks formally, staring into those hopeful eyes of her fiancé, "I want to take you out on a date. Is Saturday alright with you?"

 

"Oh..."

 

For once in her life, Jennie hasn't been asked out casually for a date. If she had been in a date before, most are for business and family-related conversations with such formality and not for any other purposes. As a result of this whole new experience, she became as paralyzed as Lisa who's timidly waiting for an answer with their frozen eye contact as if the time had stopped.

 

"Uhm... c-can't I? Is it... no good?" The troubled Lisa frowned as Jennie is taking too long to respond.

 

Jennie snapped from her inner thoughts and got her relaxed body back to her senses. She turned around facing the car's door she just opened to hide how excited her expression got, along with her smile she's containing by biting her lower lip so hard it can bleed. She was only asked and she's feeling this keen already, and Jennie still can't imagine how more she'd feel on that particular day.

 

"Okay..." Jennie softly said with her back but enough for Lisa to hear from where she stands. "We can go out on Saturday. You can take me out on a date. I'm fine with it." She then confirmed as she entered the car in haste.

 

Lisa exhaled out all those breaths she held in and puffed in a huge smile, “Yes! I did it!”

  

Lisa released her happiness she cannot contain through her silly dance moves, randomly dancing out of the car and how stupid she is that she never realized Jennie can see her from inside the car doing such silliness. This caused Jennie to burst out into enjoyment, her thousandth time of the day which is all caused by Lisa, from all her efforts and determinations.

 

Granted that the couple is having one of their best nights in their life as partners, some just wants to exclude this night out of their minds. Disoriented, spacing out, disjointed, isolated and lightheaded, this is how Chaeyoung is for this night. She desperately seeks for joy in these days when nothing’s going right and thus she spends it in this exclusive night club full of party people she’s never been used to be with.

 

Everyone’s dancing drunken wild on the dance floor with their drinks up but there she goes sitting secluded on a dark corner. Everyone’s smiling and enjoying the night, running away from their problems in life yet she’s there contemplating about everything in her mind. Everyone around her is full of happiness while she’s there bottling up the emptiness that keeps on growing as time goes by.

 

“Rose, what’s with you just sitting down in there? Come and join us!” One of her friends from showbiz who dragged her into this noisy place offered with a can of beer.

 

Chaeyoung however declined as she pulled down her friend’s hand and sighed, “I’d rather stay here and free my mind. Articles might suddenly pop out like mushrooms tomorrow if I go there on the dance floor.”

 

The dejection in her face is so evident that her friend cannot ignore it. Her cheeks are so low, her eyebrows are wrinkled and her lips are so dry. This isn’t the Rose that her fans look up to in the magazines, variety shows and interviews. And so her concerned friend settled to sit beside her and asks in worry, “What’s wrong? This isn’t so you.”

 

“It’s nothing big. Do you still want to hear it out?” Chaeyoung faced her friend who nodded eager. “This is about a friend of mine. I know her more than anyone else. She’s engaged to a man she doesn’t really love because she was set-up by her parents. But my friend had a lover before she got engaged, someone she really loves, but then again, my friend sacrificed the one she really loves just to please what the rich society drew for her future. These days, my friend isn’t having a good relationship with her fiancé. She tried her best to please her man but it’s not working at all. They always fight and everything. They don’t go along very well and nothing seems to be going right anymore. My friend was so sad that she went to visit her ex-lover again and she wants her back but unfortunately her ex-lover is already engaged to someone else. Just like her, the ex-lover was also forced into the engagement. My friend doesn’t know what to do anymore. She’s so depressed these days.” She then narrated cracking in between her words as emotions are piling up more and more.

 

“Rich society, huh? Well, that society really . I’m not really that rich but whenever I see those rich people on news, I feel pity for them. Just like that friend of yours you’re saying, if only she’s not in the rich society then it could be easy to break up with her fiancé and chase what’s real and what’s right. And if that friend of yours is brave enough, then maybe go tell her to break the cage and fly away from the rich society, which is in the first place, not a good society to live in. If that’s the only way to be happy then do it. Life only comes once you know. Why does your friend have to live with the expectations of others? She should be living her own life on how she wants it to be without anyone dictating what to do.” Her friend said straightforward and though a little tipsy she just said something that’s worth getting Chaeyoung’s mind back to straight.       

 

“Do you think it would be that easy to do it?” Chaeyoung questioned giggling while pouring her own glass of that wine she ordered, finally consuming it after being ignored for hours.

 

And her friend helps her on pouring the ice and reasons, “I think it is. Money can’t buy happiness after all.”

 

“But same goes for happiness can’t buy money.” Chaeyoung joked and for the first time of this night, she emitted a genuine smile.

 

“Okay, now there goes the Rose we want.” Her friend praised that sweet smile and made a toast together.

 

Chaeyoung was left thinking of what was advised. Unknown to her friend, she was actually talking about herself, her current situation and what she’s really feeling. She has these chains locked around her neck but because of these pieces of advises she just received, she’s here ready to break them apart, ready to be set free from this society prohibiting her.

 

Weekdays came and days pass by, the gossips and news are gradually fading and vanishing into people’s minds. Most are back to their normal lives, especially to the students of the university who used to talk about it all day, disturbing Jennie anywhere she walks on, and every class she attends to. However, there are just some who can’t seem to move on, particularly to the one who loses the most, the one overpowered and defeated.

 

Jisoo stands all alone in this silent long corridor, waiting the bell to ring while she waits for this classroom in front of her to open. She doesn’t want to be seen too affected of news that’s getting out of trend to almost everyone that no one talks about the charity event anymore. Thus, she fakes a bright smile whenever someone calls out for her which used to be so normal and natural, but not anymore.

 

As soon as the door in front of her unlocked, Jisoo flashed her smile from her frowning lips. And coming out from that opened door is the woman she can only lay her eyes off, obsessed from that smile she always wears despite of how tired she is and that positive aura she never fails to emit to brighten up anyone’s day.

 

“Oh, Jisoo! You’re here.” Jennie approached her waiting friend.

 

“Yeah. I was actually waiting for you.” Jisoo said and opened the way for them to walk ahead together.

 

Jennie then speculates, “Me? Why are you waiting for me?”

 

“Well, I realized I haven’t properly apologized to you yet about what’s happening these past few days.” Jisoo said so cautious with every word she speaks. “I’ve seen those ridiculous rumors on the social media and I know some students are teasing you about us too because of what those malicious tabloids stated about us. It might have caused too much inconvenience to you so I’m sorry. I hope it won’t change anything between us.” She then continued.

 

Jennie further remembers as they go on walking down the hallways; she did see some comments and various remarks from netizens about her being with Jisoo. And since those interpretations from anonymous people didn’t really bother her as much as Lisa’s issue troubled her, she only laughed it out saying, “Ah yeah, I’ve seen those comments too. But really, you don’t have to apologize. I just ignored those and it’s nothing big for you to be worried about.”

 

Jisoo sighs in relief, “I’m so glad to hear that. I thought you would start avoiding me.”

 

“Why should I? We know each other more than any of those nameless online users so don’t let it get into you.” Jennie beamed.

 

Midway through their walk out of the building, Jisoo stops to request, “I want to pay for it though. I want to redeem for those rumors I caused. Is it alright if I’ll treat you for a dinner? I’ll also ask Nayeon if she can join us.”

 

Jennie checks for her time and realized that the dusk is about to come. She has one more important thing in mind, hence she regrettably declines in a caution not to disappoint Jisoo at any cost, “I’m sorry, Jisoo. I’m not available tonight. I have some other errand to go. Nayeon has another appointment too so she can’t come either.”

 

“I see.” Jisoo grimaced. But still she tries another attempt as she insists, “Maybe I can accompany you to your errand? Where are you going anyway?”

 

Jennie brought out a long list of groceries and recites, “I have to buy some stuff I’ll need this weekend. I’m planning to bake a cake actually and I might be trying something new to the taste so I have to properly check on this.”

 

“Bake a cake? What for? What’s the occasion?” Jisoo raised an eyebrow.

 

Because Jennie is yet naïve of Jisoo’s feelings, she said so open and thrilled, “Lisa asked me out for a date this Saturday and it’s our first date. She’s going to be paying for the entire day and said she’ll be preparing for it. I just want to give something in return and surprise her too. I’ve never been into a date before so I’m a little nervous thinking of it. I even did a research about first dates.”

 

“Oh… o-okay…”

 

Bang! There goes the first bullet penetrating Jisoo’s heart. The disclosure made her speechless and so deeply hurt she couldn’t react well on that thrilled expression and that blushi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter