Chapter 4 : Our First Battle

Rich Society
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 4 Our First Battle

 

A home is where story begins. Home is where happiness begins. It is where people form bond and strengthen relationships, learn the differences and similarities of one another. It can be made of woods, bricks and beams but here is where hopes, dreams and love start. This is where people who live together grow up and learn from each other. Most importantly, home isn’t just a place to roof people but it’s a feeling where it blooms every day, even for people who were forced to live together.

 

Mornings are starting to get cold for summer is gradually making its exit for the year. It may not be as cold as the mild breeze of the fall just yet but it’s more than enough for Lisa’s lazy body to enjoy her early morning with her cuddly pillows and huge bed she owns herself. She can be the wildest girl out there at night but for her, this peaceful and worry-free morning is still the best as she minds not of the time that’s ticking late.

 

“Home is the best!” Lisa gabbles in so much pleasure from cuddling her soft pillows under her blankets.

 

As if she’s having the best time in her life, she wanted to go back to her dreamland and shut off from all the world’s judgments, but, unfortunately for her lazy half-awaked self, she’s alarmed by her phone that rings loud near her ears. For the first few call attempts, Lisa turned it off and even tossed the phone away from her ears but the call still keeps on coming and endlessly disturbing Lisa’s sleep.

 

Having no choice, the annoyed Lisa got up from her feet to pick up her phone and immediately yelled as she answered without realizing the caller, “What do you want? I’m still sleeping!”

 

“Open your freaking door you lazy woman! I’ve been ringing your damn useless doorbell for the thousandth time now so get your lazy out of your bed and get me here!” The person from the other line yelled louder that Lisa had to put the phone out of her ears.

 

Lisa got panic she almost lost her grip on her phone. She never heard this voice before through the phone and even the caller only has its number showed. In short, an unknown caller for her yet she was already yelled at. The voice though sounds familiar and wanting to end her curiosity, she gets her wobbly legs to the door to take a glimpse of her visitor through the screen.

 

“Jennie?!” Lisa shrieked, more likely in a mix of terror and franticness to see the impatient Jennie with her arms crossed on the monitor she’s staring at.

 

Jennie puts her eyes close on the monitor from the outside and smirked at Lisa’s morning face in her pajamas and again she orders coldly, “Oh, good morning. Can you get this door open now then?”

 

Though puzzled and so confused of her sudden appearance for this weekday morning, Lisa rushed to her door and opened it wide for her fiancé on the wait. And as soon as she opened, there’s Jennie in her casual wear of ragged shorts and black cropped top with her luggage and some of her servants carrying some more baggage in their arms.

 

“Eh? What’s the meaning of this? Were you kicked out of your mansion? Moreover, how did you know I live here?” Lisa in confusion asked nonstop with her two wide eyes roaming all over Jennie’s figure.

 

“Didn’t your parents tell you? I’m going to live here in your place starting today. They’re the ones who told me of this. I thought you’re aware of it.” Jennie replied simply yet amusingly grinning at Lisa’s thunderstruck expression.

 

“What? Seriously? But I wasn’t informed about this! I thought we’ll buy a new house or something!” Lisa argued in a high tone.

 

But Jennie returns calmly, “Why don’t you check your phone again? Maybe you’re missing out something…”

 

Lisa, still not believing Jennie’s information, she let the latter wait by the door and runs back to her room to check on her phone which she left unattended since the last night. There, she saw a lot of missed calls and unread messages from her parents, all informing her of Jennie’s arrival including the time in her condo unit and that her entire place shall be shared with Jennie starting today.

 

“Jennie will be living with you in your place starting today. Make sure to clean up and take good care of her. Our business’s future depends on how you’ll be treating her as your wife-to-be. Be a good girl! Don’t embarrass us, okay? Love, Mom.” This was the last message that Lisa opened from her mother.

 

“No way… it’s real…” Lisa wailed in disbelief reading all these facts drained all her energy that she got so weak in her knees.  

 

Jennie couldn’t wait for Lisa for she’s taking too long since she dashed back inside her room. Thus, she welcomes herself and the servants dropped her things before leaving at once as originally planned and ordered. It’s not shocking to see her place so lavish and extravagant with all the latest technologies installed as she walked in. What somewhat shocked Jennie is how messed up her place is with the couches unarranged, dusty equipment and furniture, trashes of consumed instant cup noodles and chips everywhere on the floor, spilling trashcans but her kitchen untouched and clean.

 

“Wow, how can she live like this?” Jennie judged in disgust as she lastly opened the empty fridge.

 

“Yah! Who told you to come in? I haven’t told you to step in here! Do you have manners?” Lisa went back out of her room she locked and faced her fiancé in shame.

 

Jennie rolls her eyes and reasons, “Duh? Your parents made it clear to me that I can invade this place if I want to since I now own half of this place’s share. I believe I have the right to come in even without your permission anymore. And by the way, do you really live like this? I mean, look around you, everything’s a mess! Well, except for your kitchen though, it’s unbelievably clean. Do you even cook or do you even know how to? I know you’ve been living alone but at least tidy up a bit. Your place totally looks like an abandoned old house.”      

 

Lisa couldn’t find the right words for an argument and thus, she got speechless for a second. She has also noticed Jennie’s looks that keep on wandering around from her dusty ceiling down to the floor. And to avoid herself from more shame that Jennie can point out, she quickly started gathering the trashes scattered on the floor while she stutters in a flush, “A-anyway! Why are you free on weekdays? I was expecting that we’ll just move together on weekend since you have your classes at the university…”

 

Jennie walks towards the couch for her most needed relaxation as she replies at ease, “I took a time off from my classes just so that I can move in here today.”

 

“Wait, you took a time off? Is that possible?” Lisa questioned and stared at her questionably.

 

Jennie nodded, “Yes, for people like us it’s possible. They also advised me not to go today too because there are media gathered on the university gate and some are trying to sneak in just to have a glimpse on me. I might not go there while the news is still on fire. I was advised to wait for them to cool down. Well, unfortunately for them I’m here relaxing having my day-off from the world.”

 

“Oh yeah, did our parents announced our engagement to the public already?” Lisa worriedly asked and Jennie again nodded quiet. “Damn, I wonder how people are reacting to hear Jennie Kim got engaged to an unknown heir… I bet they are feasting about you on the internet already.” She then sighed as she finished cleaning up her trashes.

 

“You might not want to see it. The social media is so messed up right now; most are criticisms saying that I could have done better or whatsoever.” Jennie sighed deeper as she closed her eyes in dismay.

 

Lisa furies towards her fiancé in her seat and confront, “You could have done better? Yah, what do those people mean, huh? How dare they look down on me and judge me as if they are all better than me?”

 

“Attack them, not me. You don’t want to show up as the Manoban’s heir that’s why they are saying such thing. You can’t blame them. And don’t get so affected, it’s the social media. Everyone’s entitled with their opinions and say whatever they want to.” Jennie playfully grinned at Lisa’s upset face.

 

“Okay, whatever. They will never know who I am anyway.” Lisa basically slapped her exasperated thoughts away and began marching back to her room to escape from more of Jennie’s remarks.

 

Jennie though immediately halts her by shouting from her comfortable seat, “Hey! Where do you think you’re going?”

 

Lisa turns back for a split second to answer pokerfaced, “I’m going out.”

 

Jennie didn’t like her impassive tone which left hanging in disbelief towards her attitude on this very first day and first hour of living together. They have been taunting each other for quite some time but never had this one on one close conversation as an official couple yet. Lisa has this attitude she’s pulling off on her shoulders to keep her fiancé out of the picture, and normally, as a partner, not to mention for a lifetime, Jennie detested it that her disappointment reached its limit.

 

Hence, Jennie with her heavy angry footsteps, she raids Lisa’s room and banged the door wide to nag, “Hey you Manoban! Can you please mind your attitude? We’re going to live together for God’s sake! Can we at least help each other out here? I just arrived and you’re going out already?”

 

Lisa had her clothes off with only her underwear on the moment Jennie thundered inside her room, making her so frantic and madly reddened that she’s exposed right in front of Jennie’s pure eyes. “W-what the hell? G-get out of my room! C-can’t you see I’m changing?” She then hastily grabbed a random towel to cover up her slender body but too small to have her entire body sheltered.

 

Jennie roams her eyes from Lisa’s head to toe using her sharp gazes. Her long legs flawless can be seen, her cleavage is somehow appearing out of the towel with her arms pressed against her chest and her humiliated face is written all over. In all honesty, Jennie has never seen anyone in such a state in her entire life so far, not even her conservative best friend and her mother and this would be her very first time. Deep inside she’s more embarrassed than of Lisa who is uncovered but never lets her blush to creep out of her, keeping herself composed with her firm stand by the door.  

 

Not to get swayed with her reactions, Jennie smirks in a mock to cover her uneasiness, “Oh, so you do know how to get embarrassed being seen , huh? I thought you got no shame anymore because hookers get to see you all the time.”

 

Lisa has been being mocked since Jennie stepped her feet in her own space and is now invading so much of her privacy, even got her messy, untidy and disorganized room uncovered. She’s been continuously losing to this decent fiancé of hers despite of how vulgar she can get and no matter how strong and explicit her taunts are. And for a reason she cannot comprehend, she couldn’t fight back and ended up letting herself lose their little childish arguments, being so soft in her spot she couldn’t move.

 

It is so against her will, yet Lisa with all her potency, she dropped down her arrogance and stared down blushing in a soft retort, “Well, you’re different. You’re my fiancé and not a hooker. You’re decent and they are not. So please, get out of my room and let me change. We already talked about this too, right? We’ll have our own lives even if we live under the same roof. This is just like our hideout as an engaged couple so please let me be. I’m going somewhere and I have to be there on time.”

 

For the first time, Jennie is seeing Lisa so delicate and turning into an innocent-like cat begging to be freed from her leash. Her soft side somehow made Jennie’s heart skip a beat but the same time guilty of the harassment she has been purposely doing. And so Jennie thought as it’s hitting her at last, she might have gone overboard that even the unruly Lisa is about to get down in her knees to beg.

 

Jennie accepted her fault but didn’t speak of it, rather she turned around setting Lisa from her eyes and said, “Okay fine. You’re right anyway. We already talked about it so I shouldn’t bother. Just go wherever you’re going and I’ll just stay here to fix my things.”

 

Lisa watched her fiancé closing the door and for the first time she has win the argument. Supposedly, she would feel victorious over the win but she feels the other way around which yet again, she doesn’t know why but let her heart beats twice faster. For the time is moving fast, she momentarily erased all these thoughts of Jennie out of her mind and goes to her own bathroom to clean up in haste, get changed and set up her usual dance outfit and lastly buckled with her backpack.

 

As she stepped out of her room, there at the couches she saw her fiancé unpacking her luggage one by one, revealing all the fancy dresses and outfits she brought and necessities she needs.  The way she irritably folds her clothes and that pout she wears from her lips, Lisa isn’t sure if her fiancé is sulking and for some reason, she feels pain seeing her in a temper that she might have caused.

 

“You’re going?” Jennie asked from busily fixing her things by the couches after catching Lisa spacing out just in front of her closed room with her eyes on her.

 

Lisa shakes off her head to regain her composure and steadily answers short, “Yeah.”

 

Jennie brought out a package out of her huge bag and makes a stand close to her as she hands it over to her partner gladly saying, “Here’s your breakfast. I made it before I came here as a commemoration for our first day. I kind of knew you’re a sleepyhead too so I predicted you haven’t had your breakfast yet. You can have that whenever and wherever you’re going.”

 

“Sandwiches, huh?” Lisa said as she took a peek from the package’s sides.

 

“Thai Sandwich to be exact.” Jennie faintly smiled before returning back to her work by the couches.

 

Lisa has never been this guilty more than before that just merely looking at this pack in her hands makes her emotional. Who would have thought Jennie will make such an effort for this day, only because of her while all she did is none, zero effort. She never signed up and asked for this yet she’s being granted with such care she never thought would come at last.

 

“Uhm…” Lisa shyly speaks as she scratches her head. Though low and barely heard, Jennie looked up to her waiting for whatever her tight lips are going to say. “About tonight… I might not be able to come back home. So… uhh…”

 

“It’s alright. I already expected that. But please do tell me your door’s password, something that both you and I would know since I can’t keep calling you all the time to have it unlock for me.” Jennie had rejoinder so monotonous that Lisa doesn’t know if she’s pissed off or just simply stating frankly.

 

“O-okay. I’ll send it to you later. And for the bathroom by the way, you can just use the bathroom adjacent to my room. No one’s using that since I rarely have any visitors in here.” Lisa said a little bumpy and Jennie only replied in a silent nod and not even taking a time to look at her anymore.

 

Lisa awkwardly walked out of her place and there’s Jennie whom she left out helplessly ogling at the door closed and listened to Lisa’s footsteps fading into the air. Being all alone in this spacious home, Jennie starts to ponder by herself as she paused from her work. This is the life that the rich society chose for her, not something that her genuine heart picked. It hasn’t been a day, not even an hour but Jennie can see how her life will go on from this day on, causing tears to automatically fall from her eyes carrying some bags and her deteriorating strength.

 

Jennie fanned herself with her hands to stop her tears from falling nonstop as she positively believes, “It’s alright, Jennie. You’re just starting. Everything’s going to be fine soon.”

 

On this very same day that their engagement has been formally publicized to the world, the university where Jennie attends is being swarmed with persistent reporters, photographers and some media that are keeping their hopes up to take a glimpse of Jennie and take this juicy news personally out from . Although they have been informed of her absence for the day and possibly for the next days as well, the university remains hectic with all these gossiping students, adding the media to stir them more.

 

“Eh~ it’s such a waste that Jennie Kim is now engaged. I didn’t see this one coming.” One of the gossiping students on the canteen murmurs to his friend while looking afar at the crowded university gate.

 

And his friend follows with him, “Who’s not shocked about it? It’s like it was only yesterday when we saw her walking around here smiling but who knew she’s already on talk of engagement. And moreover, with a foreigner, a Thai woman, who wouldn’t get shock at it?”

 

Then the gossip goes on, “It’s an unexpected turn of events. Well, as expected from their family, totally unpredictable that’s why they’re always on top.”

 

“What a lucky woman that she got the most expensive jewel…”      

 

These gossips and endless murmurs from the students has been going on since the first hour of the classes, even professors have their mouths and ears on the news that’s totally wrecking all the business news channels on TV, also on radios. The news spread like wildfire that cannot be stopped anytime soon. Wherever and whenever, people seem to enjoy following on how this breaking news will grow in their own interests.

 

While everyone seems to be enjoying the news like it’s an entertainment showbiz, some doesn’t feel the same way. In this crowded canteen during their lunch break, Jisoo spends her lunch break alone, occupying the entire table good for four all herself. Likewise, she has seen the news through her phone she keeps on mindlessly flipping in her hands while ignoring the untouched plate in front of her. Not only that she feels irritated with these students sounded on loop regarding Jennie’s engagement news, but also she’s frustrated to welcome this bright day with a bad news, at least for her.

 

“Dammit, why do I feel so mad about this?” Jisoo cursed in disorder brought by her jumbled emotions, with her gritted fist resting on top of the table with her other hand gripping on her phone where she’s stuck looking at the news that bombarded her morning.

 

Soon after, Nayeon farsighted her looking so upset alone in her table. And so, as a friend, she cautiously approached and probes as she freely sits across her, “Hey. What’s wrong? You look upset.”

 

Jisoo quickly closed her phone yet she inquires in return, “Is it true? Jennie’s engagement, is it true?”

 

“Well, yes…” Nayeon frowned. As she fixes her own plate on the table, she explains further for the saddened friend, “It was decided by both of the families. They’ve been talking about it for quite some time and in the end, the engagement was approved but marriage is not yet confirmed as of the moment. I think there are still a lot of things to be considered before that. I don’t know much about the details too since I don’t want to bother Jennie these days.”

 

“I see…” Jisoo nodded but wearing this stressed appearance.

 

“Also, Jennie isn’t present today because of the media and she has to fix things with her fiancé.” Nayeon ended her well-detailed information to start her lunch.

 

“I can’t believe this…”

 

Nayeon noticed Jisoo’s anxiety over Jennie’s engagement news, from her worried face to her gestures that show edginess. Her sighs and breathes are evidently heavy too, a sign that she’s hardly containing emotions she doesn’t want to display. Therefore, Nayeon concluded that this woman is definitely troubled because of Jennie, way too affected for someone whom she just met not long ago is already giving her such impact.

 

To confirm the doubts, Nayeon carefully interrogates, “Excuse me but, is Jennie’s engagement troubling you that much?”

 

Jisoo straightforwardly accounts, “Honestly yes, it’s bothering me so much. I’m her friend too you know, yet I didn’t know about it. I didn’t even have any hint about it. She’s been smiling and so jolly the entire time, especially when the last time we talked yet I wasn’t able to sense anything. She must be really good at hiding confidential matters, huh?”

 

“You’re right. I admit, even I am a little disappointed with her sudden engagement and I was kind of hoping that she would end up with someone better than that Lisa Manoban. I heard she’s not that good though, according to Jennie herself.” Nayeon also agreed in a sigh but continuous on munching deliciously with her lunch.

 

Jisoo then wonders, “So her fiancée’s name is Lisa. I never heard of her but to have someone better for Jennie, who can it be if not the Manoban?”

 

“I don’t know but maybe someone who is responsible and caring enough, considering Jennie’s health condition. Maybe someone who is as kind as you will do as her perfect partner.” Nayeon recklessly stated.

 

“Someone like me you say?” Jisoo mumbled so low for Nayeon to hear her saying from across the table.

 

Jisoo began forming thoughts because of Nayeon’s reckless remark. As she’s considered as Jennie’s partner from Jennie’s best friend herself, she finds herself worthy and gained confidence which she doesn’t know where it’s coming from. However, though it was a reckless and hasty statement, this made Jisoo grin for the first time since the news broke out and found her appetite to join Nayeon for the lunch.

 

Meanwhile, it’s still the first hour for Lisa to start her day yet she already feels exhausted the second she arrived in their dance studio. Normally, she’s the most energetic one amongst the group every morning they start their practice but it swings the opposite for this day, perhaps going to be the same for the succeeding days. She hardly moves forward, thinking of her fiancé she left alone, thinking of how lonely she might be being alone. Lisa is bothered by these small and little things about Jennie’s feelings, regarding it as fragile as how she looked like the last time she took a glance of her before she closed the door of her place.

 

Lisa slaps her face to delete off all these thoughts troubling her as she stands in front of the closed entrance of the dance studio and regains her tough looks, “It’s not like she doesn’t have anyone to talk with. She can just go out and hang out with her parents or anyone else if she wants to. No one’s prohibiting her to do so. I shouldn’t let myself bothered by her. She’s too old to be taken care of.” And so Lisa believed.

 

Upon opening the dance studio’s door wide and supposedly do her usual morning loud greeting, it is her who’s welcomed with a loud “Congratulations!” instead, as the entire group dashed to her and starts attacking her with tickles and teases while pulling her in the middle of their dance floor.

 

“W-what’s going on?” Lisa acted clueless with their suspicious grins and unstoppable tickles while they follow her all the way to the corner where she dropped her bag.

 

Bam playfully pinches her by the waist and giggles, “Oh c’mon Lisa! Don’t act like you don’t know why! There’s only one heir of the Manoban we know who can be mentioned on the recent news! Dude, you’re engaged!”

 

“And of all rich people you can end up with, it’s Jennie Kim!” Minzy unbelievably stated but has her hands clapping in amazement which later joined by the others s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter