Chapter 6 : Love Symptoms

Rich Society
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 6 Love Symptoms

 

Heartache doesn’t happen only when hurt and deeply wounded by emotions and suffering from an illness. Heartaches can be felt in various ways, and one of such is when falling in love so deep to be suffocated. The stiffness of chest, the difficulty of breathing, and the tangled words triggered by a palpitating heart, these are the symptoms of a heartache initiated by love that’s unheard, hiding into the depths of a heart that refuses to take the risk of falling, but tolerates the growing pain it can give.

 

“Jennie…” Lisa grumbles in her deep sleep then turning to the other side she mutters almost mournful, “Jennie… where are you…”

 

It is a typical mild cold morning in town but not for Lisa who’s still in her sleep, sinking into a nightmare she cannot shake off, drowning into these shady thoughts her mind can get for her. In Lisa’s nightmare, she’s frantically running around a hospital where no one attends to her cries. She’s drenched in her own sweat and tears wetting her face while she shouts for Jennie’s name everywhere. She’s helpless with nothing but her trembling hands covered in blood.

 

Lisa is terribly shaking and it became worse when this sliding glass door opened in front of her where her two swollen eyes found her fiancé lying lifeless on that hospital bed rolled towards her shocked figure. The doctors and nurses put her hospital bed right in front of Lisa, letting her see the cold Jennie resting in peace, her eyes closed and her lips dried and cold. Lisa’s world crumbled upon her, resulting her knees to fold and her hammered heart to burst as she cries her lungs out and keeps Jennie around her shuddering arms.

 

“Jennie!”

 

With one last cry and the last teardrop, that’s when Lisa was able to wake up from this nightmare and found herself catching her breath, heavily panting and just like in her nightmare, she’s covered in sweat as she sat up in terror. She sat there staggered in her bed, looking into a space while trying to collect all herself from that delusion. For she never experienced such, a nightmare that brought her to hallucination, it took her more than a minute to have herself back from reality.

 

“Oh my God… what the hell was that?” Lisa panted and she massaged her face to swipe away all these unnecessary thoughts she had.

 

Later she looked to the other side of her bed but found an empty space instead wherein her fiancé is supposed to be sleeping; only that she saw her cuddly bear she gave as their bed’s divider. Again she began feeling so frantic, thinking that her nightmare might be true and real after all, not until she heard some noises outside beyond her room’s closed door and sniffed something’s cooking that it got her smiling in realization.

 

“Why am I getting so hysterical anyway? It was just a nightmare. Lisa, calm down. Jennie’s just out there in the kitchen.” Lisa exhaled as she tried to convince herself from all these unpleasant morning thoughts she’s having.

 

Lisa puts herself up from the bed to start her day and it was then she also realized that her room is all tidy. All her scattered used clothes were properly placed in her basket ready to be put to the laundry. Her trashes are nowhere to be found too and all are wiped clean in her dresser. Her room has gotten so clean that she couldn’t believe it her own eyes that she’s actually walking around in her own room.

 

“Since when did she clean my room?” Lisa asked herself in disbelief yet it keeps her from smiling.

 

Jennie from the kitchen heard Lisa’s heavy footsteps pacing around the room and as she did, she calls out in a yell, “Lisa! I know you’re awake! Get out of the room now!”

    

Lisa found Jennie busily cooking in her kitchen she never got a chance to use and as far as Lisa can recall, it will be the first time to see her kitchen in a mess and actually have the equipment being used. She isn’t used to this yet she doesn’t feel uncomfortable to see Jennie freely using everything she has at home as she just watches her doing anything she can.

 

“Why are you cooking this early?” Lisa asked as she sat on the dining table and checked on her time for the sun outside through the opened windows isn’t shining so bright yet.

 

Jennie brought out a plate and some containers while explaining in a rush, “I just wanted to try cooking like how my mom usually does for me. She cooks for us sometimes even though we have our chef at home. And these are just some of the foods we shopped yesterday so I thought of cooking it for a try.”

 

Lisa peeks at the pans and questions, “But that’s way a lot for two people and not to mention a lot for just a breakfast too.”

 

“No one said this is only for our breakfast and who told you we’re the only ones eating this? I’m also giving some to my friends in the university.” Jennie said and perfectly finished the packs before she placed some in the paper bag and some in Lisa’s plate she served beautifully.

 

Lisa noticed Jennie didn’t serve something from across the table for herself but she’s quickly wrapping up her things instead. “Wait, where are you going? Aren’t you going to join me at least? And it’s too early for you to be going out!” So she complained but not stopping from Jennie in her rush.

 

“Sorry, I have to go to the university early today. I missed some classes yesterday and I need to catch some things. Nayeon also called me a while ago and she’s already waiting by the intersection. I don’t want to keep her waiting.” Jennie coolly replied from the living room where she’s busily gathering all her things she need for her classes.

 

Lisa follows her to the living room as she demands in doubt, “You missed classes? How did that happen? You’re always in the university for like almost half a day and you still miss your classes? Just what the hell are you doing inside the campus then?”

 

Jennie paused for a split second as she was caught off guard from her own insensitive words. She just realized Lisa knows none of what’s happening around her, especially when it comes to her health condition and her university life where she’s completely off limits. Lisa is in a total zero knowledge when they are not together, thus, oblivious of Jennie’s real life situation despite of knowing some facts from each other the night before.

 

Jennie’s arrested from packing her things as all these realizations just hit her but afraid to be noticed she’s stunned from the questionings, she exaggeratedly laughs with a lie, “I’m talking about the notes. There are some things I couldn’t jot down during our classes and I have to meet some of my classmates before the classes start. I don’t want to be left behind.”

 

The dumb Lisa easily believed saying, “Eh~ you’re such a role model kind of student.”

 

“Anyway…” Jennie breathed deep and as she meets her fiancé close to her face, here comes her abnormal heartbeats again that don’t hurt or feel any stinging pain at all, but a good feeling she’s been learning to accommodate. Both flushed in red at their faces’ close distance but Jennie is way better than Lisa to step back first, a foot farther away from her to continue her words in soft yet clear, “Anyway, you better clean up your plate after eating your breakfast and before you go out for your dance practice or wherever you’ll be going.”

 

“O-okay…” Lisa tamely nodded.

 

Jennie marched towards the door but stopped halfway to turn back to Lisa again for a postscript, “Oh by the way… thank you for letting me stay in your room for the night too. And good luck for your practices today. Don’t strain yourself.”

 

Jennie’s expression was plain when she said her last words before she jogged fast out of their place, leaving Lisa staggered and wasn’t given a chance to respond. Hence, she moved on to the dining table where Jennie left one paper bag in one of the vacant chairs across her. She initially thought Jennie might have forgotten to take it with her but as her eyes unintentionally peeped inside, the label ‘Dumb Lisa’s lunch’ was pasted on top of the pack.

 

“Oh, she made one for me…” Lisa grinned wide at the sight of Thai foods deliciously cooked for her.    

 

Jennie went on her way to where Nayeon’s waiting for her inside the car and as she sits on the passenger’s seat, Nayeon noted how bright her face is and this glamour she radiates that she don’t normally have ever since she started living with Lisa, only today that she finds her smiling without anything being said yet.

 

“Do I smell something fishy in here?” Nayeon tooted while she drives safely along the road and continuously observing Jennie’s smile from the side.

 

Jennie hummed, “Hmm?”

 

“What I’m saying is that you’ve been smiling there since you hopped in and it’s quite unusual to see you like that.” Nayeon articulated then she inquires, “Did something happen? And how are you with your fiancé by the way? Is she still abusing you?”

 

Jennie cackles, “Yah, why the hell should I be smiling like this if she’s abusing me! It’s the other way around! She spoiled me yesterday night just to compensate from all the mistakes she did to me.”

 

But Nayeon chuckles louder in distrust, “What? That delinquent woman spoiled you? What has gotten into her mind she spoiled you? And moreover, how and in what way she did that?”

 

Jennie crossed her arms and she blissfully reminisces that night, “She was in the university to fetch me actually. Then, she gave be bouquet of roses and chocolates. There’s also this cuddly bear that’s now sleeping beside me. We went to the supermarket and she just followed all my orders. We had dinner too and she miraculously treated me. We also talked a lot of things about us, like she initiated on getting to know each other more and everything. Overall, that night was just incredible. I don’t know but I just smile whenever I remember that and now I am.”

 

“You know what, it almost feels like you’re not talking about Lisa but another person. Are you sure you weren’t really dreaming that night?” Nayeon doubted that her drive became as slow as the people jogging on the street sides.

 

Jennie furrowed her eyebrows confused, “What do you mean by that? Of course I’m talking about Lisa. Who else was I with last night if it’s not her?”

 

“Because, look, whenever we talk about Lisa you almost curse her to death and you always complain millions of things about her and now you’re telling me as if she’s some kind of angel sent from above. What, does she have split personality or something? Or does she have mental issues?” Nayeon reasoned as she went on driving slowly.

 

As they stopped by the red traffic light, Jennie also realizes in her seat that dazed her, “You’re right…” Yet, she later contends trying to defend Lisa, “…but that night it didn’t feel like that at all. I felt comfortable like I was really facing Lisa, my fiancée. Don’t you think she already changed? At least she knows from what’s right to what’s wrong even though she’s that rebellious.”

 

“Why Jennie, how much do you know about Lisa already? Do really know the real her, the real Lisa Manoban out of your radar? You said it yourself that she just did that to compensate and show you she’s really sorry so I guess those kindness and actions she showed you only lasted for one night.” Nayeon interrogated and gave her best friend an expectant look to wait for more of her debates.

 

This comprehension also brought Jennie into her deeper thoughts. While it’s true she has known a lot about Lisa during that night, she has no idea what’s actually going on with her mind and how she actually controls her life, even before they met and started their live-in life. She may have known her hobbies, her favorites and her usual daily routines, but never she has a single idea of the real her, nothing. She was totally engrossed from the happiness she felt that night. She was completely absorbed by her heartbeats and let herself be immersed from it. She was beaten by no other than herself and it pains her that her hopes for Lisa just shattered by the reality. 

 

Jennie soon sighs in defeat, “I will never win an argument with you. I guess by just merely knowing simple things about a person wouldn’t make you understand the depths of them. I’m such an idiot to let myself be so captivated in just one night.”

 

“Don’t you want to know though? Aren’t you curious? She’s going to be your lifetime partner. I think you should make an attempt to know her complexities. As you live with her longer, you’ll get to know anyway so why don’t you start now? It will loosen the discomfort around the two of you too and be more comfy. You know, just like being close friends.” Nayeon swiftly recommended as she noticed Jennie’s face bright expression disappeared and darkens every second.

 

“I wonder…” Jennie scowled.

 

Jennie, though she managed to convince herself that Lisa’s acts meant nothing, these heartbeats just don’t fade, making her heart pump loud not from her health condition but from these feelings rushing her blood for a reason she cannot confirm herself. She doesn’t complain however, and has nothing against this uneasy feeling she’s having, instead she’s full-heartedly welcoming it not to let this warmth escape out of her.

 

Nayeon knew she was in deep thoughts all throughout their way until they reached the university in no time, hence, she let her be and let the silence consume them.  There’s a part in her saying “I might have gotten overboard…”, “I shouldn’t have mentioned it…”, “Maybe she wouldn’t be down like this if I just rode along with her stories…”, “I shouldn’t have doubted Lisa…” But at the same time, keeping in mind that she’s like a real sister, she chose to speak up her thoughts, stating the truth to hurt her rather to comfort her with a lie.

 

“Jennie, your phone is ringing. I think you should pick that up before we go out of the car.” Nayeon tapped Jennie who partially spaced out in the passenger’s seat as there’s no movement from her.

 

The obedient Jennie complied and ends up seeing this message from Lisa saying, “Ah sorry. I forgot to thank you for cleaning my room. You were in a rush so I couldn’t tell you a while ago. For my lunch, thanks for that too. I’ll enjoy it later during our break. And oh, don’t tire yourself too much as well. See yah~”

 

Nayeon coped to peek onto the screen and warns Jennie for the last time, “Don’t let it bite you.”

 

“It won’t…” Jennie turns off her phone without bothering to return a reply and follows Nayeon out of the car.

 

Lisa on the other hand died a little inside after waiting for more minutes but received no reply from Jennie. She even intentionally walked a lot slower going inside the dance studio just to have this reply that never actually came, ending up into a disappointment. Nevertheless, this downhearted feeling didn’t last long knowing that she carries Jennie’s homemade lunch and that support she needs the most, something she never got from anyone else.

 

“Good morning!” The lively Lisa opened the door wide to the dance studio, only to see her friends gathered on a corner and were caught hiding the newspaper behind their backs.

 

“O-oh! You’re early!”

 

Lisa raised an eyebrow in suspicion over their obviously uneasy smiles and questions “Are you hiding something from me?”

 

Taeyang unexpectedly grabbed the newspaper that the group has been hiding and personally hands it to Lisa informing straight, “You’ll know sooner or later anyway so what’s the point of hiding? It could be that you’ve seen it too, right?”

 

Lisa glared down at the newspaper and bombards her liveliness. It is the same news that caused her to berserk, the news that resulted to an unwanted evening with Jennie, no other than Chaeyoung’s marriage announcement. She has never seen and heard the news since that day for she refused to check on it and now that it’s right in front of her yet again, she felt drained and instantly felt empty.

 

“Ah this… I’ve already seen that and I’m happy for her, of course. At least now she can settle down and have a good life.” Lisa naturally acted the usual, cool and composed as she passed the newspaper back to her friends.

 

They just watched Lisa moving around on her own, from dropping off her bag on the side, puts the speakers on as she started not with her needed stretching but immediately pumps up with the choreography to excessively pouring out all her energy. Though she has been exerting much energy to her moves, all she gets are mistakes and never gets the right steps, ending up being more miserable in the eyes of her friends.

 

No one knows how to aid her aside from their senior Taeyang who joins Lisa in her sways far from the others, in front of the mirror and informally asks to keep her mind off Chaeyoung, “So, how did it go?”

 

“What?” Lisa asked as she stopped and looked at her senior through the mirror.

 

“You and Jennie, were you able to sort it out?”

 

To keep the conversation going, Lisa stretches on a corner with Taeyang’s help and she steadily answers, “Yeah. I was forgiven somehow, well, I hope so.”

 

“We saw you that night, when you were in the diner together. You’re surprisingly gentle with some tender loving care for your fiancé.” Taeyang admitted and smirked at Lisa’s face that flushed in an instant and there he knew that he successfully overturned Lisa’s mood from black to pink.

 

Lisa turned around hiding her face and returns in a stumble, “W-well… don’t get me wrong oppa… I only did that to atone for my crime… there’s nothing more than that… It’s nothing special…”

 

“Oh really? That doesn’t look like it to me though. You looked like you were having the best time of the night. Also, it’s been such a long time since I’ve seen you that genuinely happy with someone and I don’t even want to remember when the last time was.” Taeyang went on grilling Lisa to force the truth out of her in denial self.

 

Taeyang is right and Lisa knows it for herself. The happiness Lisa felt that night, she has been longing to feel that again. This casual talk about Jennie completely reversed her feelings and in a snap of a finger she had lost the painful thoughts of Chaeyoung, and changed into these happy moments she can imagine with Jennie. She doesn’t want to feel this way, confused and bothered yet thankful that she exhaled in relief to have herself calmed down from all her miseries.

 

“I don’t know oppa…” Lisa sighed. And while she looks onto her hands, she softly hisses, “…I don’t know what to feel exactly because this is the first time…”

 

“First time what?” Taeyang asked as he tended closer to her.

 

Lisa clenched her fists as she confidently grins, “It’s the first time that someone actually said that she’ll be looking forward to me dancing, and that it’s the very first time someone’s supporting me with my passion. You know it, right oppa? My parents can’t even bear looking at me pursuing my desire, not even Chaeyoung before who never came once to watch me dance instead she turns blind eye whenever I do so. Everyone is against my passion.”

 

“I see. So is that why you were so happy last night, because of Jennie giving you her support?”

 

Lisa nodded, “Yeah, I think that’s the reason. That’s why right now, I just want to be happy and give it my all. Jennie is the first one to make me feel this supported so I don’t want to disappoint her. If possible, as much as I can, I don’t want to be troubled by anything and anyone else though I might falter sometimes, just like a while ago. They just mentioned Chaeyoung and I already snapped inside.”

 

Taeyang caresses her back and sincerely advises, “Don’t force yourself too much, okay? Take it step by step. Moving on is hard, of course it is and I already told you that before, remember? But just think of this if it’s really so difficult for you, right now, you have Jennie who is ready to be there for you and you should keep that in mind while we’re on the way to the dance competition. If your resolve not to disappoint her is real enough then don’t hesitate.”

 

“Yeah oppa. I’m going to thank her properly by winning the first round. She has become that kind of special friend after all.” The resolute Lisa affirmed.

 

“You really have a soft spot for girls, eh?” Taeyang teased and earned a pout from Lisa. But then he lastly comforts, “But having that soft spot is a good feeling too you know…”    

 

“Hey you two! What are you guys blabbering in secret in there? Don’t leave us out!” Minzy chanted from the other side as she saw how the Taeyang and Lisa isolated themselves in the corner.

 

Bam follows in a hoot, “Stop chattering in there and let’s start the practice! Save the talks later tonight!”

 

“Brace yourself Lisa because we won’t be holding back anymore.” Taeyang warned.

 

Lisa takes her deepest breath as she marches towards the group in assemble, “Let’s do this!”

 

Meanwhile, as the soon-to-be wed couple takes on their challenges living together, the anxious parents of the decent heir cannot find this peace of mind they have been trying to attain since that day their daughter left the mansion to live with her indecent partner. While Jennie’s father constantly checks in with Lisa’s father for business talks, the mother regularly checks on her daughter, calling her every lunch time to secure her condition.

 

They have been restless thinking of Jennie, from how her life revolves around Lisa and how she handles her sickness with all these stressors new to her. Adding to their worries is Jennie’s secretive and guarded attitude which has been going on recently, as she dodges concerns regarding Lisa, and evades any interrogations regarding their daily routine. Jennie is slowly becoming this kind of daughter learning how to transgress, and so the worried parents have been thinking of.

 

“Good evening. It’s been a while, Mr. and Mrs. Kim. And thanks for this dinner invitation. It’s an honor.” Seung-hyun formally greeted the couple waiting for his arrival at the mansion for this dinner they prepared and for an appointment he’s called for.

 

The courteous mother then welcomes, “Oh don’t be so reserved Seung-hyun. Besides, we would also want to ask some concerns about Jennie too. Please have a seat.”

 

As Seung-hyun occupied his seat, the father directly asks in urgency, “I know you already know that my daughter is engaged and currently living with the Manoban. Ever since that day, our time together with her became so limited and sometimes I cannot even check on her within a day. And when she last visited here, according to my wife, she looked so weak and pale. We’re just worried that she might be misbehaving these days and that something might be going on behind our backs.”

 

“I see…” Seung-hyun breathed.

 

Looking at Seung-hyun’s guilty expression, the tensed mother analyses “Do you… know something Seung-hyun? Please tell us because we don’t want to force Jennie on this that’s why we called you instead.”

 

Seung-hyun heaves one last sigh as he’s then forced to confess, “Actually, Jennie suffered from a minor heart attack not long ago which makes that her second for this year already.”

 

“What?” The parents gasped, the mother instantly teared and the father infuriated he couldn’t move.

 

Seung-hyun bowed, “My deepest apologies for not reporting this right away because I didn’t find out about this from Jennie herself, it was from her best friend Nayeon. I was thinking that it can be that Jennie didn’t want to tell you of this as well that’s why she kept her silence about it. She had her second heart attack when she was at the university.”

 

“But it hasn’t been that long since she had the first one, why is this happening? This never happened before to her! Oh my poor daughter…” The mother wept.

 

“Unfortunately, Nayeon didn’t tell me the full details but if I were to predict, it can be that it was caused by the stressed with the life she’s having with the Manoban. Considering that living far from her parents and living without aids is new to her then it can be that her unusual heart attack was also brought by something or someone new to her life. But, it’s just a conjecture; let’s not jump into conclusions yet.” Seung-hyun said as he shared his insights of Jennie’s condition.

 

“So it’s because of Lisa…” The father gritted his fists with this resentment building up inside him.

 

And to stop the parents’ worries, Seung-hyun immediately informs, “I already scheduled Jennie for a check-up this coming weekend. I’ll thoroughly check on her and I’ll deliver the results to you as soon as possible. Please don’t worry, I’ll ensure Jennie’s safety. I won’t let you down.”

 

The mother bends down, “Please do so Seung-hyun. I don’t want my daughter to be in danger. We’ll also try to converse with the Manoban if it’s possible to let Lisa know about this. We can’t just sit here and let Jennie suffer by herself.”

 

“I’ll meet with Lisa’s parents too. We can’t let this pass.” The angry father concluded.

 

Jennie’s friends are as worried and troubled as her parents, especially for Jisoo whose days won’t pass without thinking of Jennie, her current state and how she’s doing every second that passes by. Even that she’s hanging out with Nayeon, her mind would be flying away, physically present but mentally absent for this night. As restless as Jennie’s parents are, Jisoo began flooding Jennie with messages that aren’t being returned, which doubles her worries and uneasiness while they eat dinner in their favorite fancy restaurant located within the crowded night city.

 

“I wonder what Jennie is doing right now. She declined our dinner invitation and now she’s not responding to my messages. I hope she’s okay…” Jisoo sulked in her seat while keeping her food untouched, like how she always does whenever Jennie occupies her mind.

 

Yet the carefree best friend cheers her up, “Jennie is just fine. She couldn’t make it with us tonight because she has to rest earlier today. She’s scheduled for a check-up this coming weekend and she wants good results so in preparation, she has to be physically fit.”

 

“I thought she went back home because of that Lisa again…” Jisoo grumbled.

 

Nayeon laughs, looking at Jisoo’s irked face, “Yah, do you really hate Lisa that much? C’mon, relax… Lisa won’t be taking advantage of Jennie again.”

 

“It’s not that I hate Lisa… well maybe not yet, it’s just that I don’t like her, how do you call this, vibe or something? I met her once in the university’s parking lot. I admit she has the charisma and looks but I just don’t like this arrogance she emits. I feel so uneasy still whenever I leave Jennie to her care. But then again, I don’t want to judge too much since we haven’t personally talked yet.” Jisoo said and finally has her first bite on that dish she kept pending for long wait.

 

“Lisa already learned her lesson, well, I hope so. According to Jennie, she actually did something nice for once and even apologized to her. Jennie had a great time too I think. She was all giggly and thrilled when she was telling me about it.” Nayeon nodded as she recalled Jennie’s stories.

 

“Why, what did they do that night? All I know is that Lisa went to the university to fetch Jennie and surely she gave her that bouquet of roses she was holding.” The curious Jisoo asked but has prepared her heart to be in pain as she’s about to hear Jennie and Lisa’s momentous night together.

 

“In short, it was a late night date. I don’t want to go into details. I don’t want to imagine Jennie being so flustered. I might cringe.” Nayeon said but as soon as Jennie’s thrilled giggles rang her brains, she instantly shivered.

 

Jisoo lowered, “Oh… really… that’s great…”

 

Nayeon toned bitterness in her voice and thus she quickly diverted the topic stuttering, “L-let’s not think of that anymore. Lisa only did that to compensate and Jennie was just being appreciative. She’s always like that whenever she’s thankful. Even I can make her thrilled sometimes so yeah… let’s not dig in to that any farther. Why don’t we just enjoy the dinner and send some photos to Jennie later?”

 

“Yeah sure.” Jisoo nonchalantly responded as she breathed deep and in her thoughts she regrets, “I shouldn’t have asked…”

 

The pain in Jisoo’s expression is so evident that Nayeon can easily paint that hurt in her eyes, those lowering lips as she’s forcing to munch on her food. She has been noticing this frequently, Jisoo’s mood that drains drastically whenever they talk of Jennie’s life as an engaged woman. All this time Nayeon has been keeping shut, mum at these observations she noted, not wanting to bring down their friendship they are just forming. Yet, however, as it gets more obvious these days, she cannot just sit still and let this pass again.

 

Therefore, Nayeon gathered all her bravery and decides to open up questioning, “Hey Jisoo… is it alright if I ask you something weird right now? I don’t really want to talk about this now, trust me but I think I can’t hold it on any longer. I’ve been bothered by this for some quite a while already.”

 

“Sure. Go on.” The assertive Jisoo affirmed and waits for that question to be thrown.

 

“It’s not that I’m judging you or anything but… I just noticed you’re quite, or maybe overly, concerned for Jennie to the point that you’re more worried for her than I am at times. What I’m trying to ask is that… if uhh…” Nayeon hesitated and ended up tangling her words.

 

“I like her.” Jisoo straightforwardly said after reading that restrained face from Nayeon who can’t lift up her head to directly ask her distresses. “Yes, I like Jennie. I like your best friend. You wanted to ask about that, right?”

 

“E-eh?” Nayeon hardly uttered in shock and only looked at Jisoo’s grave expression and deep eyes she gives her.

 

Jisoo leans back to her seat, composing herself to explain her side then confesses solemnly not to damage the best friend’s expectations, “I don’t know when this feeling started exactly but I guess I already started admiring her since the day we first met. But as time goes by, I think it’s more of a love than just like because you see, I’m starting to think of her more than I think of myself.”

 

“T-then… you mean you’re falling in love with her?”

 

Jisoo didn’t need any more second to nod her head in confirmation as she declares, “Now that you ask, yes, I’m falling for her. Love really is mysterious, huh? And I hate the fact that it just attacks to whenever and wherever it wants to.”

 

“But Jisoo…” Nayeon inclined closer. “She’s engaged to Lisa and it’s near impossible to overturn that! She’s already taken!” She then closely whizzed.

 

“I know that’s why I beg you now, don’t tell her anything about this. At least as friends, I want to keep Jennie beside me. It might hurt to be just friends while seeing her with someone else but being friends is the only way for me to get this close to her. I don’t want to lose her. So please, don’t tell her anything.” Jisoo begged as she clasped her hands together and closed her eyes.

 

“What if she notices you though? Jennie is a smart and sharp woman; she can notice anything better than I am. She might catch you even before I might accidentally tell her about this.” Nayeon examined guardedly.

 

“If that happens, I want to tell her about my feelings myself. But then I wonder if she likes me too. It would be better if she at least likes me a little bit too then I’d be happier than being a Prime Minister’s daughter.” Jisoo whined.

 

Yet the tenacious Nayeon goes on interrogating a little restrained of her words, “What if… just what if… she really does like you too but unfortunately she’s tied with Lisa, what will you do?”

 

“I don’t know. Maybe I’ll steal her from Lisa? They’re not yet married so the engagement is subject to change, right? I still have the chance to take her away from that unruly heir.” Jisoo carelessly blabbered but immediately regrets as she takes it back, “I’m just kidding. I guess being just friends with her is enough for me. I’m more than lucky enough to be this close with her.”

 

“Ah… I see… Then, I guess we’ll stop that topic right here. I might end up asking some more unnecessary things…” Nayeon muttered but vulgar for Jisoo to hear and comply as they went on with the dinner.

 

Later that night, Lisa went back home worn out she couldn’t even keep her walks straight up to her unit. She has all her muscles tight and unable to straighten her back that results some low cries as she opened her door wide yet silent. She’s expecting her place to in a quiet and hushed in darkness as it’s already late but she was welcomed with the loud volume from her television and her fiancé enjoying the movie being flashed bright in the living room where all the lights are off.

 

Lisa double checks her time and she ascertained herself that it’s nearing midnight and that Jennie is supposed to be resting by this time yet she’s not. She carefully walks so troubled near Jennie and said in low, “I’m home…”

 

Lisa approached so quiet that Jennie was startled from her whispers. She squats in the couch with this bag of chips she scattered as she looks up on Lisa’s bewildered face and belatedly responds, “Oh… you’re back. I didn’t hear you enter.”

 

“Of course you won’t. The TV is too loud.” Lisa said and grabbed the remote to lower the volume down and have their voices be heard. As she sits across her, she questions in worries, “Why are you still up? Shouldn’t you be resting already?”

 

Jennie looks away flustered, “I was waiting for you…”

 

“Huh?” Lisa raised an eyebrow, feeling this redness creeping up to her face but thanks to the darkness, it makes it less obvious for anyone’s eyes.

 

Jennie pouts with short glances over to Lisa, “I don’t know where to sleep. I mean I’m not sure if I’m going to sleep here in the couch or in your room since you didn’t tell me anything. I’m not sure if you only let me sleep in your room for one night only or I can permanently invade your room so I decided to wait for you.”

 

“You could have just called me if you’re worried about that so that you could have gone to sleep earlier than waiting for me until this midnight.” Lisa dully said the obvious and at the back of her mind she’s giggling at Jennie’s unexpected dumbness.

 

Jennie jolts up from the couch, leaving the television on as she angrily marches on the kitchen to grab some water f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter