Chapter 8 : Battle of Hearts Part I

Rich Society
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 8 Battle of Hearts Part I

 

People tend to be competitive when they want something, especially when the contest is tough and tricky. They compete for money, for the wealth they need. They fight over material things they wanted but not really needed. They clash and contend for power and authority, hungry to be on top. They are challenged to take grasp of the reward. This is the rich society.

 

However, there are those people who wrestle and spar for something else namely love, attention and adoration. These aren’t prizes and awards to begin with. These aren’t tangible things that can easily be acquired by just participating on competitions and going through against the oppositions. These are ethereal matters which can only be gained dearly through spiritual approaches, real devotion and passionate dedication for someone who seeks the authenticity of life.

 

“This is so unfair! I’m only worried for her yet this is what I get after all what I’ve done for her! When will she ever listen to me and stop being so hard-headed and so reckless with her decisions? Gosh! I hate her impulses but I love her because she’s my best friend!”

 

These are just some of Nayeon’s fury she has been jabbering over and over again in Seung-hyun’s clinic where she bawls all her frustration she cannot outcry to someone else. That day, particularly that night, when Jennie protected Lisa instead of siding her has been bugging her mind, unable to function well, emotionally and mentally that she ended up being so miserable the entire day at the university up until for this weekend morning.

 

She isn’t alone in the clinic for Seung-hyun is there listening to her complaints while she sprawls in the white clean bed parallel to his working table. Though busy with his works, he’s there listening to her opinions and he acclaims, “You’re saying that but you’re here waiting for her to come for the monthly check-up and not to mention you’ve been saying the same thing for almost an hour now. Can you just overlook Jennie’s attitude that night? That girl is just troubled you know.”

 

“But still, what could be the reason she chose Lisa over me? Seriously, we’ve been together for so long and I didn’t even know she has that kind of attitude.” Nayeon groaned.

 

Seung-hyun surely smirks, “It’s because it’s her first time that’s why you haven’t seen it before.”

 

Just before Nayeon could protest, the nurse knocked, “Jennie is here.”

 

“Oh, what a perfect timing it is. Let her in.” Seung-hyun said so excited and teased Nayeon with his mocking grin.

 

Jennie appeared jolly at first but then her eyes darted to Nayeon sitting up on the bed, instantly losing that smile and replaced with a long face. Nayeon avoided those pleading and apologetic eyes from Jennie but the latter didn’t bulge from the eye contact and moreover, vigilantly walking towards her with her small careful steps. She didn’t know what to say or how to speak up yet she knows she has to sit there, right beside her without saying anything out of her tight-lipped mouth just yet.

 

Noticing the awkward silence and childish avoidance between the best friends, Seung-hyun speaks in behalf of the two, insulting the complainant, “Nayeon has been waiting for you, Jennie. What took you so long?”

 

“I’m not waiting for her!” Nayeon highly defended that her legs jolted up from sitting so rigid.

 

“What are you doing here then if you’re not waiting for her? I believe this is a clinic inside a hospital and not your house for you to rant complains.” Seung-hyun questioned smart and this shut Nayeon’s thoughtless mouth and dropped back down in her seat, admitting defeat through her thunderous hush.

 

Jennie stared at her best friend sitting so reluctant beside her, eyes that are wandering up the ceiling and playfully whistling. And being her best friend for so long, Jennie fully knows these uneasy gestures from her, these signs of movements that express hesitancies, holding back herself from wanting to talk with her. She has known Nayeon for too long that even without words, she can detect how keen she is as well to talk with her after all these days she has been doing nothing but to avoid her.

 

Jennie breathed as she smiled in relief for she recognizes this dispute between them isn’t as serious as she thought it would be. However, she didn’t think of apologizing over her attitudes, thinking there’s nothing to be so sorry about for what she had done for siding Lisa in that situation, rather the intelligent her tempers as she pouts, “You’re my best friend yet you managed to endure not talking with me and worse you avoided me whenever I see you at the university? What’s wrong with you?”

 

And Nayeon contends the accusations, “I wasn’t avoiding you! If I really am then I wouldn’t be here to wait for your check-up you naughty girl! Even if I was not with you, I was actually asking about you from Jisoo. Of course, even if you become the most foolish person in this world, I’d still be your best friend. Who would be there for you when you fall hard if it’s not me?”

 

“Eh~ so you do admit now that you’re really waiting for me.” Jennie grinned.

 

Nayeon couldn’t resist that gummy smile of her best friend, the cutest and best smile so far in her list. “Seriously, remind me again how we became best friends and how in the world you manipulated me to follow you.” She then nagged with her arms crossed but only a split second she returned the same sweet smile to her best friend.

 

“And you’re going to follow me again this coming weekend. I can’t possibly go without your help.” Jennie winked.

 

And she receives doubtful looks from Nayeon, “If you’ll ask me to attend Lisa’s dance competition again, I’m sorry but I might not be able to do it. I can’t afford to tell more lies to your parents just to cover all your misbehaviors. The venue, not to mention is way not my style too.”

 

“No! It’s not that! Gosh, I can’t believe you haven’t checked on it.” Jennie groaned as she rolled her eyes. Then from her bag she presents some papers and discusses, “We’re going to conduct our second major charity event for this year and as always, it’s going to be at the countryside, at the rural area. I’ve already asked some people to go and check on the place and have the documents been properly filed so that we won’t be having problems.”

 

Nayeon read the large scale of the event and so she questions, “Wow, this is a huge charity event. This isn’t the usual events we always do. We’ll need more people and manpower to help us out in this. How will we do this?”

 

Jennie, in full confidence, she flashes her phone’s screen next, showing her best friend a social media account she created herself and proudly presents, “I’ve also thought of a way for that already. Even though we’re rich, we still need to show how efficient we are to the general public since dad has been always telling me that. Therefore, so that we won’t be using large amount of fund, I decided to open SNS account to gather some volunteers to help us out. Some of our people are already working on the applications and they are already checking if they are eligible to participate.”

 

As bright as she is, Nayeon further recommends, “It’s hard to ask for people’s help for free these days, especially when they’ll get nothing. It would be great if we’ll pull some influential people with us so that at least, they’ll get excited. For example, let’s ask Jisoo to come with us. Since obviously we can’t ask the Prime Minister to come with us, the daughter will do. She’ll create an impact for sure, not only to the public but to the media. Your charity event will be widely known, well, again and again like always.”

 

Jennie applauds her ideas in amazement, “Wow! Amazing!”

 

“Duh~ of course I am. We’re both wonderful for having brilliant ideas.” Nayeon boastfully laughed loud.  

 

“Now, does that remind you why we’re best friends?” Jennie winked and they both merrily laughed.

 

Seung-hyun then interrupts and shows the signed application form, “I’m coming too. That’s going to be a stressful event certainly. I need to be there to help out and watch out for Jennie as well.”

 

“Thank you oppa.” Jennie bowed.

 

“Okay, it seems like the two of you finally settled already, am I right?” Seung-hyun asked as he clapped his hands, changing the topic and the happy Jennie bobbed her head for affirmation. Thus, the doctor faces his patient and firstly informs before officially starting today’s session, “About your last check-up by the way, do you remember what we talked about?”

 

Jennie looks into a space and recalls that night she consulted him of these unusual feelings she’s having for Lisa. It was on that night as well that these feelings started growing fast and nonstop. As she collected her thoughts, she nodded, “Yeah. I think I remember. What about that oppa?”

 

“Actually, I forwarded your check-up results I noted to your parents because they asked me to.” Seung-hyun started and Jennie gasped as she thought she’s busted. But upon seeing that nightmare in Jennie’s face, the playful doctor immediately corrects himself, “Don’t worry. I didn’t deliver to them about that heart problem you’re having with Lisa. I know it’s a girl’s thing that they don’t want to get exposed to their parents, especially for the first time. So, rest assured that the information won’t go out of this clinic.”

 

Confused of the on-going conversation between them, Nayeon soon butted in as she comes in the middle and interrogates them nonstop, “Yah, what are you two talking about and what’s this heart problem that Jennie is having with Lisa? Why don’t I know anything about this? Are you hiding something from me again Jennie?”

 

“Jennie didn’t tell you?” Seung-hyun cackled and Nayeon rapidly shook her head. In a loud hiss he discloses, “She’s falling in love with Lisa…”

 

“What?!” Nayeon roared so loud it radiated all over the closed clinic.

 

Jennie shrieks blushing so hard, “Oppa! Don’t tell her such things! We’re not yet even sure about it that’s why I haven’t told Nayeon anything yet! I wanted to confirm it myself first since I don’t want her to worry over uncertain things.”

 

“There’s no other legit explanation with what you’re feeling based from what you told me last time. If I were you, I’d stop being in denial, because that’s more painful than accepting the truth about it.” Seung-hyun deliberated, firm in his beliefs and didn’t waver from his conclusions.

 

All that’s left for Jennie to do is to heave a sigh and let the fact sink in to her. She knew what these feelings lingering her are. She had acknowledged of her deepening emotions that night she was overpowered by her jealousy because of Lisa’s past, Chaeyoung who still haunts Lisa and conquered by her depression because of Lisa confirming none in her side. As a result of her constant renunciations for this love that keeps on mounting, here she is hammered twice harder than before.

 

Nayeon cut off Jennie’s trails of thoughts as she hysterically makes a stand for disapproval, “Woah wait! I can’t accept this! This is too sudden and too fast to cope up with! Are you serious Jennie? Really, of all people you can fall in love with, why does it have to be Lisa? I get it that you’re engaged with her and you’ll most probably get married too but still… really?”

 

Jennie clasped her cold hands tight on top of her lap and mutters looking down at it, “I don’t know. I’m not really sure. It just happened. I don’t know when, I don’t know how and I don’t even know how long it has really been since I’ve started to feel like this.”

 

Considering that their talk is becoming more of a personal matter, Seung-hyun rolled his seat back to his table and continues on finishing his paper works, also to give the best friends a space for them to express themselves without distractions. Whereas for Nayeon, there’s no way she’ll be criticizing and go on with her unending complains on Lisa as Jennie is evidently suffocated on her own.

 

Nayeon hates to see her sad and what she does is that she pulls a chair and sits right in front of Jennie inflexible on the bedside, holds her gripped hands and eye-to-eye she grills, “Okay, I’ll be the one to determine if you’re really in love or not.  Tell me what you feel for her and I’ll be the one to decide on the conclusion.”

 

Jennie captures all these butterflies and confesses, “I just feel… happy whenever I’m with her. Everything just seems to be complete like I don’t need anything else anymore as long as she stays beside me. I also—“

 

“Oh my God!” Nayeon wheezed and didn’t let Jennie to finish her accounts she asked for. She then reached out for her hot reddening cheeks and concludes in another gasp, “You really are in love…”

 

“See? I told you it’s love!” The victorious Seung-hyun celebrated in his seat. “And I’m telling you now Nayeon, you don’t want to hear the rest of her explanation. You’ll get cringe and you might not even be able to sleep.” He then joked.

 

Nayeon holds her best friend tighter and suddenly asks out of her concern, “How about Jisoo? I thought you have a crush on her!”

 

“Huh? Me? Crush on Jisoo? Since when?” Jennie dubiously glared down at her.

 

Nayeon hence supports her assumptions, “Well excuse me Jennie, you always get thrilled whenever you’re with her. You think I didn’t notice the way you look at her? Moreover, you always look forward to meet her every day. You even ignore me sometimes where we’re all together.”

 

“You’re right. I do feel that way for Jisoo.” Jennie approved yet she claims further, “But… somehow it’s way too different. It’s like Lisa is on the other level, higher level to be exact and Jisoo is just right below her, that’s why I was also confused at first, not until you guys confirmed it for me.”

 

Advancing her worries, Nayeon throws yet another query, “How about Lisa then? What does she feel about you?”

 

It is then that Jennie’s bright face disappeared. She’s aware of her mood that quickly shifted and not wanting to keep any more secrets from these people she trusts the most, she heaves on last deep breath and opens up with her eyes closed, “I don’t know about her. Actually, her ex-girlfriend paid a visit and Lisa was all so soft to her like how she does to me sometimes.”

 

“Ex-girlfriend? You could have just kicked her away!” Nayeon carelessly angered.

 

“How can I kick a popular model? I don’t want to end her career right on the spot! Her ex-girlfriend is Rose, that model who has been the limelight of the entertainment industry these days.” Jennie uttered, giggling to cover her bitterness over her existence in her engaged life with Lisa.

 

“Eh~ your fiancé must be such a pro when it comes to women. She even got that hot model hooked for her.” Seung-hyun whistled for a remark. “So, what did you do? What did she do?” He then asked while continuously working in his table.

 

Though flushing and a little flustered, Jennie admits stuttering, “I was… jealous… Because, you see, when I asked her if she still loves her, she didn’t answer me and I haven’t talked to her since that night.”

 

“Damn that bastard! An ex is an ex! Does she still have to think about her answer?” Nayeon raged but then it sparked into her mind and lowers down, “Unless, she really does still love her ex-girlfriend, then that would make sense.”

 

The clinic turned into a heavy silence after that one last comment, which is too reasonable to be overlooked. The more Jennie recalls that night, the more she feels agitated that she wants to pour this anger all out in this clinic and mess it up. These thoughts rushing all to her can only give her nothing but pain in the chest and later panted at the suffocation.

 

Thankfully, she isn’t alone. Seung-hyun quickly attended to her as he gently tapped her shoulders to wake her up from these undesirable thoughts and delusions, “Stop, you’ll just deepen your heart’s wounds if you keep on thinking about it. Don’t overdo it. It’s bad for you.”

 

“If it’s too much to handle then don’t force yourself. Take it easy.” Nayeon pulled her for the much needed embrace.

 

Jennie shakes off her head to drop all these negativity in her mind and to loosen these tightening veins in her heart. And to end everyone’s worry for this early weekend morning, she declares determined of her words, “Argh, I don’t even want to think about it. Let’s not talk about them anymore, shall we? I don’t even want to see Lisa’s face today. Let’s get this check-up done so that we can go work on with the charity’s preparations!”

 

As problematic as Jennie is, Lisa similarly welcomes her weekend. She has become so accustomed of late mornings with breakfast set on the table and perfectly packed lunch for her. She has already adapted to those days when she has nothing to worry about at home but to go out and attend dance practices. She has adjusted so much and familiarized herself into her engaged life that’s giving her so much gains and benefits. Lisa’s totally became used to all these profits that she didn’t see this day coming, ruining her weekend and starting it with frustration.

 

“Nothing… nothing… nothing…” Lisa paced everywhere her place frantically, from the moment she woke up to the kitchen where she found none.

 

Lisa is used waking up without Jennie beside her on weekdays, but not for a weekend she expected waking up beside her. She anticipated served breakfast but not even an empty plate was placed on the dining table, even the fridge is almost left vacant. She hoped for a note that Jennie often leaves on the walls at least but still, nothing is found, none is left but an empty space she used to live in, the place she couldn’t call home before Jennie happened to her.

 

“Damn! I knew it! She’s mad at me!” Lisa yowled as she dropped dead on the couch.

 

Regardless, Lisa somehow, in one way or another, has foreseen her fiancé’s cold attitude coming. Ever since that night, that night Chaeyoung visited and confessed her unresolved past, Jennie never looked at her in the eye, communication became limited and she’s turning backs on her. It isn’t surprising yet it’s painful to endure this much for Lisa for she’s aware for herself, she’s partly to be blamed of this enlarging distance between them.

 

“I wonder how she felt when I told her.” Lisa kept talking and thinking by herself.

 

Lisa failed to see how Jennie reacted that night for all she saw that time was her back, her back that seems to be so far away. To make it worse for her, she was so frantic and uptight that night because everything happened so fast, so fast that her mind couldn’t catch up with all the happenings being unfold which resulted to this worst weekend so far.

 

“I can’t take this.” Lisa childishly sulked.

 

Having no other resort as she is helpless by herself, too weak and coward to face it all alone, she decided to phone her friends who are most probably busily warming up to start their weekend practice which she has no guts to attend, not without Jennie to boost and encourage her to go. She has turned and learned to feel this emptiness, a day with no one to support her.

 

Upon answering the phone call, Bam immediately spits out his rant, “Yah Lisa! Don’t tell me you’re calling to tell me you can’t attend practice again! Get your lazy in here!”

 

But Lisa ignored his rants as she directly extends her cries in one breath, “Trouble! Jennie is mad at me! I don’t know what to do!”

 

Bam went speechless and momentarily dumbfounded of Lisa’s sudden cries. He looked over to the group and asked for back up as he puts his phone on loud speaker for everyone to help out and hear her distresses. And just for her, the group halted from their practice. “What happened, Lisa? Are you alright?” He then worriedly asked.

 

Crying lowly, Lisa opens up, “Chaeyoung came last time and Jennie met her even before I could even tell her about our past. I don’t know, she seems to be so mad at me because she just left me in here without notice.”

 

Taeyang who heard her clear questions, “So, what did she say?”

 

Lisa recalled all the things she was asked but only one struck her hard, thus she tells this, “She asked me what I’d do now and asked me if I still love Chaeyoung after everything that happened…”

 

“How did you react? What did you tell her?” Minzy took turn asking.

 

And the dumb Lisa cries in her defense, “I told her I don’t know because everything just happened so fast and I couldn’t think straight and properly! How can I answer her if she asked me so casually as if it’s nothing? I think she’s avoiding me too.”

 

Everyone was heard groaning in dismay from the other line. Truly, it was so foolish of her not to give her fiancé an assurance and Lisa expected this reaction from them, causing louder cries of a kid. Yet, at the same time, they cannot bring themselves to blame her for being mummed for they know the depths of how her past with Chaeyoung went and how it turned out.

 

“When will you stop giving us problems? Ever since you got engaged, all you bring is problem.” Minzy groaned but so worried she couldn’t raise her voice to scold Lisa’s idiocy.

 

“The day you’ve been trying to avoid ended up coming, huh?” Taeyang sighed.

 

He is right, this is the day Lisa didn’t want to come, the day she feared of; the day that Jennie might start looking and treating her differently. And thinking that this day might only be the start that their relationship begins to deteriorate and change significantly, she feels more scared to look at the next day ahead of her. It might get worse than how she thinks it can be and soon she might not be able to talk with her and see her either for the worst.

 

These thoughts made Lisa silent through the call and her concerned friends only hear her breathing unstable. Hence, Bam instantly gives her plan as he proposes to take Lisa out of her nightmare, “Have you seen Jennie’s charity event posted online?”

 

Lisa snapped back to reality, “Huh? Well… not yet.”

 

“You better check it out later. You should join that event. They are searching for volunteers to take part and help out. It’s stated on the post that you should file an application but you can just directly ask her about it, just so that you’ll have a reason to talk with her. It will still be on the next weekend so you have plenty of time. It’s a great opportunity for you to be with her and impress her. At least, maybe, she’ll remove her bad impression for you.” Minzy said as she further informed her of the event while checking the facts on the social media.

 

Lisa however worries, “There will be a lot of people in that event for sure and some nosy media might also be there.”

 

“If you’re thinking that they might find out your identity then don’t worry. You’re not wearing your engagement ring so it should be fine and you shouldn’t wear it on the even. They won’t know you’re that Manoban because you won’t need to introduce yourself to everyone, unless you want to.” Taeyang bluntly said a painful truth that Lisa just realized.

      

“On the other hand…” Bam cut off. “…worrying about Jennie won’t give you the excuse not to attend today’s practice and every single day too. Get your lazy out there and come here! We’re going to the quarter finals, do you even understand that? The competition is getting tougher so you better put yourself together. Nothing will change if you’ll just sit there all day.” He then scolded but mild enough for Lisa’s fragile state to handle.

 

“You still have to amaze Jennie until finals, right?” Taeyang said.

 

The thought of Jennie’s unending support, Lisa smiled, “Oh yeah right. I promised her we’d reach the finals and win the championship.”

 

“Then don’t go lazy in there. Hurry up and come because we’ll start in an hour.” Taeyang boosted her up and Lisa went on to start her day, her day that’s so different from what she has learned to keep yet another day keeping in mind of Jennie’s support.

 

The news regarding Jennie’s charity event has reached all over the city in an instant. It didn’t only reach their target market which is the general public but it also reached all throughout the rich society, wherein once again, Jennie gains praises and compliments from the powerful. The event is being talked on the news as well, expanding the information more all over the country and make it well-known. The rich society is this dominant and Jennie is this effective to everyone who’s expecting high from her.

 

Since this is such a well-known upcoming event, some also craves to take advantage of this. One of which is the entertainment industry who sees this occasion not as for a good cause but an opportunity, an approach for their own good, for the industry’s own sake for expanding their wicked purposes, for the gain they can get from the public that they can pull on the neck.

 

“You called for me? I’m sorry for being late. What’s with this sudden meeting anyway?”

 

Later, Chaeyoung attends the meeting within their company which was suddenly called by the company staff with her manager. She’s into this job, into this industry with good intentions and has a noble she upholds unlike what most filthy people in this industry do. She holds and loves this job so much with good determination that she can turn down anything, nothing like to those vicious people who only enters this industry for fame and wealth they desire for.    

 

Her manager offers her a seat as he informs at once, “I know you already heard about Jennie Kim’s charity event that’s going to take place on countryside.”

 

“Yeah. It’s all over the internet and social media. I also heard a lot already signed up for the volunteer and the applications are proceeding fast as well. She’s been always an excellent woman so it’s not surprising that she’s pulling up the preparation this good.” Chaeyoung said. “So, what about it?” She then asked.

 

The staff handed her over an application form which they acquired prior to the meeting and her manager recommends assertively, “You’ll attend the event. It’s going to be this coming weekend and I already fixed your schedule to have this fit in. I cancelled some interviews on that day so that you can go there.”

 

“Are you serious? But why will I attend this event? I mean, of course I’d love to participate on events like this if it means I can help people but really, why do we have to join Jennie’s event when we can conduct our own?” Chaeyoung intently questioned.

 

Her manager confidently smirks, “C’mon Chaeyoung, think deeper. This is the problem with you because you’re too naïve and too good for this industry. If you’ll participate on Jennie Kim’s event, your popularity will increase tenfold rather than just holding one on your own. This is for promotion’s sake too and your reputation will escalate high, not only because you’re helping out for free and you’re letting the ignorant see a high class model but you’re also assisting a prominent woman, one of the most talked about heirs of the rich society. And surely, the next day, you won’t only see your article under the entertainment news but you’ll also see it on the business news too.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter