Chapter 5 : New Heartbeats

Rich Society
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 5 New Heartbeats

 

People are subject to change when they have experienced things, may it be a good one or a bad one, which become their past they cannot undo and cannot be fixed. And if they attempt for a change, they'll feel new things, new encounter and a chance to embrace whatever this challenge will bring. The good can change, the bad can change and so does anyone who wants to be changed. It may be that they cannot make a brand new start once they have changed, nevertheless, they can make a brand new process and create a better ending.

 

Lisa welcomes the next day, her dizzy morning with her usual trails of beverages she had the night before which is way too typical for her daily life. However, what's new to her is where she found herself as she opened her doubling eye sight, in the couches sprawled like a homeless woman dressed so ragged and her shirt that's so crumpled by the sleeves. Unaware of what happened and how she ended up in this situation, she groggily makes her way to the dining area and gulps a whole bottle of water.

 

"What happened? Why was I sleeping in the couch? What did I do last night?" Lisa asked herself in a puff while she strains to recall the night.

 

One by one she's beginning to recollect it all. She was supposed to be on her way to the club but as she stopped over in a convenience store, there she saw this newspaper and one of the headlines caught her attention. She recalled how devastated she rapidly became seeing Chaeyoung's marriage announcement and her responses to every single question that was asked to her. And because of this, out of her straight and right mind, she bought beers and alcohols from the store and cancels her way to the club, instead she returned back home howling and got herself dehydrated from all the tears she cried out.

 

"Chaeyoung... huh..." Lisa frowned to her deepest.

 

Then she looks into that couch she came from with the table covered with empty cans and continues on pondering more of that night. She sat there on the floor so wasted and soon she heard Jennie’s arrival and witnessed her state. She remembered Jennie pulling her up and urgently tried to aid her from drunkenness. From this point, this is where Lisa's face begins to pale with her dry mouth dropping open as she finally grasped to what her demonic side did, the worst thing she could ever do.

 

"Dammit! What the hell Lisa? What were you thinking? Of all people, I did it to Jennie! Screw this life!" Lisa cursed out loud upon all the realization which made her so agitated and banged her head against the walls multiple times then recklessly hit the sides using her fists.

 

Lisa has gone berserk because of her own stupidity. She raids her room and began roaring by herself while thinking of how Jennie cried and begged to be freed, thinking of how she took advantage of Jennie's weakness and her face that's so terrified and so scared as if she's facing the death of her. Lisa gathered all this in her right conscious mind and her barks of cusses can only get louder in repentance.

 

"Oh my God... I'm so sorry Jennie..." Lisa drained all of her morning strength weeping on the dividers from the greatest mistake she has done.

 

Later, she heard her door ringing and breaks her tears from flowing out. At first she didn't want to pick up as she wants to reflect all to herself but the moment she somehow familiarized the voice calling out to her name from the outside, she forced her wobbly legs up while she wiped her tears away and walked towards her door to confirm her doubts. And yes, she's right the first time yet her expression change into its worst look it can have, terrorized to see Jennie's mother personally giving her this morning visit, the worst timing she can ever do.

 

Lisa felt fear that she trembled from top to bottom as she unlocked the door for Jennie's mother after fixing herself to be presentable enough to welcome her. "G-good morning..." She nervously greeted and forced a smile out of her shaking pale lips but so petrified to look into the eyes.

 

"Good morning too Lisa. It's already late, did you just wake up?" Jennie's mother coldly grilled as she glared at Lisa from head to toe, judging on how wrecked she looks like wearing this black leather coat that stinks in alcohol. She didn't smile and felt glad to see Lisa and she doesn't look mad either, well, physically. She remained standing straight-faced while she patiently waits for Lisa's invitation.

 

Lisa's feet became so cold in tension. She has her hands rubbing together to calm herself and as she does, she barely talks, "Come in. I just uhh... I mean my place isn't really that uhh... clean right now. I'm sorry..."

 

"Well, thank you. It's alright. You don't have to be so reserved." Jennie's mother monotonously said which made Lisa to shiver all over in tremor.

 

Lisa patiently guided Jennie's mother inside and let her observe her unprepared living room which still looks the same from the last night and the scent that's not so inviting to the nose. She doesn't know what to do in this situation and her fright isn't going any better, increasing so fast. She just watched Jennie's mother sitting in the unorganized couch from afar while she quakes on the spot.

 

Jennie's mother on the other hand has her eyes detecting all corners of this place where she left her daughter under Lisa's care. Like her daughter, she isn't that much surprised to see how disorder everything is based on the background they did to her beforehand and expected her to be this kind of woman but so disappointed to see all these empty cans of beer in the table. Lastly, what caught her strict attention, as a mother, are her daughter's things just folded on a corner together will all her luggage totally exposed like she's just staying on a hotel and not a peaceful home.

 

Jennie's mother wanted to snap and heavily scold Lisa from all these things her sharp gazes are seeing, but as a mother, who came with a purpose, she calmed herself down by exhaling so deep and called out to Lisa, "Can we talk for a bit young lady? I won't take long. I just want a few words with you."

 

Though her voice was calm and soft, this still alarmed Lisa while she thinks rumbled in extreme apprehension, "Oh my God... did Jennie tell them about what I did? Are they aware? Are they going to kill me? Oh my God... I don't like this..."

 

"Lisa?" The mother again called out as Lisa just stood there shaking from head to toe.

 

Lisa straightened herself and faltered, "Y-yes..." Then she sat across the couch in a cold sweat.

 

Jennie's straightforward mother then conveys her concern while looking right into Lisa's unstable eyes, "Jennie came back home last night. Did you know?"

 

"A-ah... well..." Lisa wobbles her head in negative wordless response and lowers her head in guilt.

 

The mother grated and discontented of Lisa's attitude, "Jennie said she just misses us, that's why she suddenly came back without letting us know earlier. But, I'm a mother and you know that Jennie is my one and only precious daughter. I've been taking care of her with all my life since she's born. That's why I know when she lies or when she's hiding something and even if she doesn't say anything I know when she's troubled and hurt. Even if she tries to smile and laugh I know she's in pain. I can read it all from those teary eyes she had last night."

 

"So she tried to cover up for me." Lisa thought in remorse and only manifested her grimace as her speechless reply from the mother's strict remarks.

 

"I hope you already know why I decided to personally come here to see you Lisa. I don't know what happened between the two of you last night or what’s really happening in the past few days and I'm sure that the two of you wouldn't tell either no matter how I insist. We're not expecting too much from you to become the best and ideal partner. You're both forced into this and it hasn't been that long. Yes I'm aware of that but please, I beg of you Lisa, even if you can't see my daughter as your lifetime partner and a lawful wife, then at least don't hurt her." Jennie's mother factually yet carefully lectured Lisa in her guilty silence.

 

Lisa slides down from the couch and gets onto her knees. Though she cannot keep an eye contact with the worried and protective rightful mother, she expresses her remorse through kneeling in front of her and bowed down on the floor and weeps, "I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry that you have to come here and witness how Jennie lives with me. But please, let me fix this problem with Jennie. Please give me a chance. I did something wrong and I know I have to fix this somehow. I can’t make it right but let me fix my mistake. Please..."

 

"You better do." Jennie's mother said and pulled Lisa up from the floor. She lends Lisa her handkerchief to get those tears off her face and smoothly advises, "I won't ask you to change for my daughter. All I want is her to be treated well. You're lucky that my husband is out of the town and I'm not planning to tell him about this since Jennie herself isn't saying something. This won't reach to your parents as well since I've seen how strict they can be with you. I don’t want this issue to get worse, whatever it is."

 

"Where is she? Please do tell me where Jennie is." Lisa sobbed.

 

"She went to attend her classes like the usual and it will end late in the afternoon. However, she looked so unwell and pale when she went out of the mansion. I’m worried for her." The mother worriedly said.

 

Lisa lowered down her head once again and genuinely begged, "Please leave it to me. I'll do something about this."

 

"I hope you'll have this solved as soon as possible. I'll believe in your words for now. Let this be served as your first warning from me. I won't just sit around and watch my daughter in pain next time like how she looked like last night." Jennie's mother intently warned as she just eyed down on Lisa in her bow.

 

Jennie's mother stepped out of the place shortly after her last warning which left Lisa drowning in sorrow. She didn't move from her position and let more of her tears drip into the floor, letting this growing grief eat out all of her that she couldn't be this tough and carefree Lisa she has always been. She has never felt this guilty before as if she had committed a crime. As a result of this heavy repentance, Lisa felt something in her changed.

 

And while Lisa battles with her own foolish self, her friends are on the grind towards the nearing competition ahead of them. Even without one of their ace members with them for today's practice, they have decided to proceed not to waste a single second, not to throw away this dream they have been aiming for since they formed this small group of ambitious and free rich people, the indifferent people from the life of the society where they supposed to revolve around. Sweat, tears and even drips of blood, they have been pouring all these since the first day with nothing and no one to break their determination.

 

As the last beat dropped and finished the intense choreography, the members also dropped their dead tired bodies on the floor, some complaining on the difficulty while some just laid there catching all their lost breaths. Hence, their understanding senior Taeyang calls for a time out, clapping, "Okay. Let's take some five-minute break then we'll move on to the next part."

 

"It's twice harder without Lisa. Where did that damn brat go again that she missed one of our important days?" Bam complained in a pant as he leaned his aching back on the wall.

 

"It can be that she heard about Chaeyoung's wedding announcement and became an emotional freak again." One said and laughed but got elbowed by Bam to halt their hurtful teases.

 

Minzy then displays her phone screen with Lisa's message which was sent earlier, "She's attending something that's more important right now."

 

The message states, "I'm really sorry guys. I can't make it today. Jennie's mom was here and there's something I need to work on right now. I know we're supposed to do a lot today for our new choreography but I have to do something really important. I'll make sure to catch up when I come back. I promise I'll learn it right away and I won't let you guys down. Sorry again..."

 

Bam then nods as he read, "I see. Well, I guess it's fine. She sounded really serious and it might be something urgent too."

 

"If she's with Jennie's mother then it must be really severe. Because, you know the saying that if the parents are involved then it's a critical problem. I wonder if they caught on a problem and deep trouble that Lisa had to cancel today's practice." One of the members voiced and kept the others thinking in worries.

 

"Should we call her? Maybe she needs our help." Bam suggested.

 

Taeyang snatched the phone though and prevented the call to be made as he declares, "Don't."

 

"But why sunbae?" Minzy questioned looking up on Taeyang.

 

"Whatever that problem is, Lisa has to solve it herself. She didn't even tell us anything about it. If she said none to us then that only means she wants to have it herself and as friends, let's respect that. How can we even help if we know nothing, right? Also, it's not all the time that we have to back her up. She has to learn things on her own too, especially now that she's engaged and has responsibilities to keep in mind." Taeyang reasoned out before he tossed the phone back to its owner.

 

"Okay fine. We'll just focus on practice then." Bam raised his hands in surrender and they all went back in their feet to prepare for another round of intense dancing.

 

Taeyang indeed said those words when in fact, he had received a different message from Lisa herself and kept it secret from the others as wished from her message which stated, "Oppa. I need your help but I don't want to bother everyone so please keep this a secret between us. Jennie and I had a fight. Well, I started it anyway and I did something really wrong last night because I was really drunk. I haven't seen Jennie yet since I woke up this morning and her mother came to warn me. I'm in a tight situation and if I can't make it, our business partnership might get overturned too. What should I do?"

 

"Aigoo Lisa~ look what your foolish self has done again and the worse you just messed up with Jennie Kim." Taeyang helplessly sighed yet he taps a quick and fruitful reply, "Obviously you have to apologize. It's your fault and it's a good thing you're admitting it. Do what you must and make it up with Jennie as soon as possible. Don't be such a brat if you want to keep her. For the mean time, I'll take care of things here. Don't worry about us, instead you should go get your fiancé. Think of your own ways on how to do it. Let your lazy mind work once in a while."

 

“What should I tell her oppa if we meet? I’m sure she’ll be upset and might not even want to look at me.” Lisa tapped her reply fast.

 

“You don’t have to say anything so lengthy aside from apologizing. All you have to do is to stay beside her, that’s what she needs from you.”

 

Lisa shared none of what she has done but knowing how wild she can get when drunk, Taeyang had the feeling of what happened. He had seen her numerous times being reckless and on loose at clubs and he never thought Lisa could pull the same attitude towards Jennie, leading him to a disappointment. Nonetheless, being a brother-like senior, he chose not to judge, hoping that this kind of Lisa will still change, hoping to a near impossible that Lisa would find a light to brighten up that darkness inside her and praying she can be a dependable partner.

 

Meanwhile, the one who's greatly damaged by Lisa's idiocy has been having her worst time in the university. Jennie never stretched her lips, her eyes haven't showed any signs of enthusiasm the second she started her day. Never had she got a second of sleep as well to make it worse and the worst thing she can feel is this emptiness absorbing all the positivity she often carries with her. Unfortunately, all because of Lisa's absurdity, she lost all her will to go on and ended up skipping all her classes as she stayed upset but at the same time blank in the library.

 

In addition, Jennie has been feeling Lisa's lips lingering hers and the last night's happening keeps on looping in her mind. She cannot take it off no matter how many books she has read in this long hours of stay. The fact that she was taken advantage of is certainly a thing to be detested especially that it brought her heart attack; nevertheless, every time she recalls how Lisa's lips landed to her pure lips, she feels odd heartbeats which are surely new to her. It's not one of those painful heartbeats she feel when having heart attack and definitely it doesn't hurt, rather she feels these new fast skipping heartbeats.

 

"Damn that idiot! I hate her!" Jennie ended up cursing to remove these heartbeats pounding her weak heart, weaker for today as she hasn't done any necessary rest like what is always being advised.

 

"Yoh! Can I sit here?" Jisoo came from behind as she caught Jennie doing weird mumbles by herself.

 

Jennie hasn't granted the permission yet, but Jisoo already occupied the vacant seat nonetheless. She then properly sits up from her awkward sitting position as she greeted politely yet weak, "Oh, you're here too."

 

She's in no mood to get thrilled and not a spark happened like how she usually feels whenever she sees Jisoo, instead she just felt plain and surprisingly normal. Jennie herself also wondered why for a minute while she just ogles Jisoo organizing her things on top of the table, stares at her closer yet there's nothing to extraordinarily feel, only this breathlessness she has been having prior to Jisoo's arrival. And so she thought, this must have been the emptiness that Lisa made her feel.

 

"I'm always here during this hour. Actually I was surprised when I saw you here alone. Well, I'm glad you're here. I've wanted to see you badly today." Jisoo smiled right at Jennie which made the latter blush in shyness. But, despite of this redness that Jennie is establishing in her cheeks, Jisoo noted this frail in her whole face so she questions right away, "You look so pale. Are you alright?"

 

"Eh? Y-yeah. I'm totally fine." Jennie faked a smile to ease the worries.

 

Jisoo didn't go along with her lies as she spotted the falsity in her words and so again she asks maintaining, "Are you sure? You know you can just tell me if you're not feeling well. We can go to the clinic or maybe go see your doctor now. We can't just ignore that."

 

Jennie has half-opened the entire time for her to breathe properly as she's experiencing breathing difficulty which she has been overlooking because of her thoughts about Lisa. She has been feeling this stiffness in her chest from time to time which adds to her restlessness. It never went away and now that Jisoo reminded her, it only made her more conscious with her breathing pattern, making it harder for her to stabilize her situation.

 

Stubborn as she is, Jennie still claimed though starting to get breathless in between her words, "Yes I'm totally fine. I'll just go and return these books. I'll be having my next class in ten minutes."

 

Jennie just made her way in between the high bookshelves and didn't let herself be clogged by Jisoo's concerned crackles. She was only inspected in distress as she disappeared in between the bookshelves and Jisoo was left uneasy in their table. And while she waits uncomfortable, she secretly scans Jennie's notebook, at the back where she's revealed to be randomly doodling like any other normal students do to ease their boredom, which Jisoo finds adorable however.

 

"No matter how rich they can be, she's just like any other girls out there in the end." Jisoo giggled and flipped to the next page.

 

The next page she to changed her mood, completely overturning her glow, from a bright giggly one to a dark bitter face. She has this sudden downfall for the page she's on is where Jennie sketched Lisa's name that almost occupied the entire page. In there she drew cute little demons surrounding Lisa's name but all are beautifully . Adding some more are the hearts which were mindlessly written on the sides and seeing these definitely just ruined Jisoo's day when she thought would be blessed because she's with Jennie but turned out to be the other way around.

 

"They must have been really gotten close a lot..." Jisoo fretted and closed the notebook which she immediately regretted opening in the first place.

 

"Jennie!" Someone yelped from the bookshelves.

 

Jisoo promptly got her feet up and hurried to where the urgent scream came from, breaking the deafening silence of this expansive and well-resourced library, as well as catching all eyes from the other users. In a speed she passed through the shelves and cared not of those students she bumped with, as long as she can reach to wherever Jennie stopped. And by the left end, there are student gathered, some merely watching while some are trying to check onto the person collapsed on the floor, panting in pain.

 

Jisoo is in horror the second she realized it's Jennie who’s on the floor, lowly crying in pain while she tightly grips onto her shirt, particularly in her chest. "Jennie!" Frightened at the sight, Jisoo ran towards Jennie to pick her up and cries as she's hopeless on what to do aside from holding her tight around her arms be Jennie's clutch.

 

"Please help me carry her to the infirmary!" Jisoo pleaded anyone who's capable around her, an order which directly came out for a Prime Minister's daughter that can make anyone to follow.

 

A concerned male student stepped up and carried Jennie right away and jogged as fast as they can, passing through a lot of corridors with students who immediately spread the news all over the campus. Jennie couldn't utter anything, not a single word out of her open mouth that's ultimately her only source of short air. Jisoo got her hands clasped, holding it in care hoping it will somewhat help her but she remained in pain until they successfully reached the infirmary and has the university’s doctor to finally ease her pain as she was delicately and carefully placed on the bed for an immediate check.

 

And before Jennie could lose her consciousness and be in the dark once again like what she's always feared of, she thought of Lisa and for some reason she at least hopes, even for a percent of chance, she wishes to be with her. But pointless, there's no Lisa to be seen around and soon Jennie gave up and closed her eyes to embrace the dark she's afraid to see after letting the last tear and only drop from her fuzzy vision.

 

Conversely, there goes the person that Jennie is yearning to see, parking her car in front of an exclusive flower shop she decided to stop by. It has been a long time since Lisa last stepped on a romantic and lovable shop like this and let herself be dominated by her gawkiness as she walks around in discomfort pretending to be picking well-raised and high breed flowers on the rack but her mind is so clueless and bewildered on what to get. She initially wanted to copy these men asking some florists to have their bouquets done but considering it might be personalized; she dropped the idea and went back on looking for her own, rattled and so stuck.

 

"How may I help you dear?" An old woman, a professional florist, approached Lisa after noticing so much trouble in her face while she just walks in circles around the shop.

 

Lisa, in embarrassment, she rubbed her palms together and said so reluctant, "W-w-well... I'm looking for a flower..."

 

"What kind of flowers do you want and to whom are you giving it?" The old woman probed.

 

But Lisa couldn't keep herself straight as she simply answered so clumsy, "Anything?"

 

The old woman sneered at her. Looking on how baffled Lisa is by just looking at the flowers, she decides to give recommendations through some questions needed to be answered, "You have to consider first some things before you can get the perfect flower. People sometimes convey their feelings through a bouquet's arrangement and the kind of flowers. Don't worry, let me help you out."

 

"Thank you..." Lisa bent.

 

And so the old woman guides her further, "You have to know the preferences of the person you're giving it to. To whom are you giving the flower? Why are you going to give that person a flower? Is there any special occasion? Is it just out of the norm between the two of you? You have to consider a lot of things. You don't have to be aloof my dear. You can tell me anything that comes into your mind and we'll be the one to do the rest for you. We've been operating for decades now and we've encountered a lot of people like you. So, please do feel free and don't hold back."

 

That's when it hit Lisa, that's then she realized she knows nothing about Jennie, not even the simplest things about her such as her favorite color, preferred foods, and even as simple as her hobbies and habits, she knows zero and observed none so far while Jennie might have probably observed all from her already. She feels useless more than ever and she never felt like this before, only now that she met Jennie and happened to her life.

 

In the end, Lisa can only briefly describe her situation and Jennie as she mutters a little laid back, "I and my uhh... girlfriend... fiancé to be exact... had a fight so basically I want to apologize truly since she just left home. But at the same time... we just recently got together too so I don't know so much about her yet. I can say though that she's nice, lovely, charming in her own way, sometimes she cold and always find a way to win our arguments but I uhh... don't mind really. Even if we're like this, all I want right now is to have her back."

 

The old woman grinned as Lisa unconsciously flushed so bad upon mentioning Jennie that she turned into a tomato while fidgeting her uneasy fingers. Yet as promised, the old woman said smiling so warm to calm her, "I know what you're trying to get at my dear. Leave it to me. I'll make the perfect bouquet of flowers for you and your lovely girlfriend. It might cost you extra charges too however. Would it be fine?"

 

"Yes please. As long as you'll make sure that she'll be able smile again once she sees that, then I don't care if it cost me millions." Lisa nodded so firm.

 

"She must be really special that you can afford that much for her just for flowers." The old woman lastly winked for fun before she went to her station to get her best work done.

 

"Special... huh?" Lisa thought but this got her beaming while trying to constrain it not to look bizarre in front of these men around the shop glaring at her.

 

Just across the flower shop is a shop that is popular amongst couples and filled with stuff toys, games and assorted of couple items which can be seen outside from the flower shop. As far as Lisa can remember, Jennie has one or two small teddy bears she brought with her which makes her cute and soft to look at. What more if she has a huge cuddly bear with her, how more adorable she can get, well, that's what Lisa imaginations are taking her.

 

"I wonder what she likes..." Lisa grinned as she walked to that next store she didn't actually plan on visiting.

 

Chaeyoung simultaneously has stolen the spotlight from Jennie's engagement news to her official marriage announcement that really excites the most while it was criticized by some. If before only the fans are around her, tailing her everywhere, now even these nosy media are always all over, may it be in their company and even some stalkers being caught roaming around this mansion she stays in. This may not be a new thing for a celebrity like her, but the fact that she just gathered people's eyes because of her anticipated marriage makes her feel uncomfortable to the point she has to take a different paths every single day by just merely going back home and using different cars not to be recognized.

 

Tired and totally worn out from her unchanging hectic and tight schedules, Chaeyoung came back home in a stressful expression, "I'm home..."

 

"Where have you been? It’s late. I thought you’ll only have a half-day schedule today." Her aggravated husband-to-be welcomed her with a yell which confused Chaeyoung as she stood there watching him doing paper works in his office connected to his room.

 

And Chaeyoung argues back, "I sent you a message earlier today, didn't I? I told you that I'll be having overtime. Besides, I didn’t ask you to wait for me."

 

"I'm not waiting for you. It just so happened that I have a lot of works to do as well and it’s more comfortable to do it here than at the office." He said and this bluntness hurt Chaeyoung she couldn't answer back and got her lips stitched. And as he piled his finished works in his table, he glares up on his fiancé and frankly questions without breaks, "The talk we had last time too, you haven't answered me. When do you plan to quit showbiz and resign from entertainment industry? I want you to quit from your public works before we get married and be my perfect housewife."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter