Chapter 12 : For Love’s Sake

Rich Society
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 12 For Love’s Sake

 

Love entails all, everything in life. Be the good or the bad, it all encompass love. It doesn’t only involve sugars of life but also a pinch of salt, a teaspoon of bitter and a sprinkle of sour. Love comes with a lot of spices that makes it so powerful and enticing to have. Love is so great that it can control one’s mind and heart yet for the love’s sake, people endure the stringency that it can bring. In the name of love, people taste real substance of life.

 

“Welcome back!” The emotional workers greeted, applauding their hands towards the feeble heir entering the mansion seated on a wheel chair.

 

Opening Jennie’s night for the first time in a while since her dreadful day is the warm welcome of the mansion’s trustworthy servants. She’s been officially discharged from the hospital with the consent of her doctor. Although that’s the case, this physically fragile heir hasn’t recovered from the strength she needs to be on her own feet, therefore, placed on a wheel chair pulled by her father himself as they all entered the festive mansion they prepared for her.

 

Jennie wanders her eyes around while being pulled farther inside and notes at the scene smiling, “Thank you but you don’t really have to be this classy. I wasn’t even gone for a long time.”

 

There are banners put up on the walls and by the dining table set a grand dinner not only for the small family of three but also for the servants who have been dedicating their life looking after the heir and some welcomed guests. All lights of the mansion are also on, lighting up the entire space which normally don’t. The mansion’s set-up can be compared to a town fiesta, together with all these guests and friends to celebrate Jennie’s speed recovery.

 

“Congratulations.” Jisoo, being one of the guests for tonight’s dinner handed over a basket of assorted flowers, a set that Jennie cannot used to.

 

Jennie is so used of receiving roses, more specifically roses given by Lisa and not just any other flowers, no matter how expensive and flashy it may look like. Yet kind enough not to show indifference, Jennie accepts in a smile, “Thank you. These are so pretty.”

 

And from the other side, opposite to where Jisoo stands, Nayeon rushed hugging her best friend, “I missed you~”

 

“Me too~” Jennie whirred and returns the same bear hug, but not as strong as she used to.

 

Seung-hyun then also joins the fun but killing it as he recommends, “Excuse my rudeness but I suggest it would be more efficient for Jennie if we do the talks while we eat. She can’t stay up late and we still have to check her room and let the nurses do their job.”

 

The mother gives a round of applause to advance and presents the table filled with her favorites, “Look Jennie, we prepared everything that you like. I’m sure you’ll get full with all this.”

 

Jennie proceeds to the dining table, taking a closer look of the feast on top. All fits her taste buds and she knows by only merely looking at how it’s cooked and offered, from the dishes, fruits and desserts. Indeed, she’s being spoiled and showered with love from all these people around her, smiling so gentle and their eyes sparkling as they stare but all these she’s getting for this night isn’t enough to seal the hole that has been making her feel so incomplete.

 

“Thanks…” Jennie sighed and forced a smile but in just a split second the stretch disappeared.

 

Nayeon noticed the sudden drop of Jennie’s lips from that pretentious smile she has been flashing. Of course, she’s her best friend and ever since the moment she came in, she knew right from the start something’s definitely off her. Nayeon wanted to believe that her eyes are only dull due to her condition that’s still weak and incapable to show much energy but she couldn’t bring herself to consider it. She’s definite, despite of all the preparations and surprises done, Jennie is filled with sadness.

 

“What’s wrong my dear?” The concerned mother tapped her shoulders as she suddenly spaced out staring blankly at the foods.

 

Jennie bit her lower lip as she concedes, “I was just thinking that it would be great too if Lisa is here to join us…”

 

There goes Lisa out of Jennie mouth and although she hasn’t mentioned of her as much, Jisoo felt she’s already deafened hearing that name. Jennie’s mood screams for Lisa’s presence, and it’s all shown in her expression that’s so down and intolerable to look at for long. Due to this, the joy they all felt is slowly sinking. The mother feels how downhearted her daughter can get with Lisa in her mind, so does the best friend but the father remains firm in his decisions and results of their relationship.

 

“We already talked about this in the car Jennie. Should I repeat it again for you to plant it in your mind?” The father said and everyone has gone so quiet. “We’re going to cut our connections with the Manoban. You’re no longer engaged to Lisa and you’re not allowed to meet or talk with her anymore. I cannot tolerate anyone who causes you and this family a pain. Lisa is out of the family picture.” He then decisively alleged.

 

Jennie however rejoins in justification, throat cracking, “But dad, she’s not at fault and I want her here with me! I want to see her!”

 

“Stop it Jennie! Don’t defend that woman who caused you pain!” The father scolded harsh and Jennie stepped back upset. “How many times do you have to suffer before you have to realize it? How many times do we have to see you hurt before we make a move? Once is enough and I don’t want what happened to you will be repeated again.”

 

The desperation is apparent in Jennie as a drop of tear unexpectedly fell from her watery eyes. Even the father himself feels guilty over his fury he failed to control, seeing his daughter hurt at such a night that’s supposed to be commemorative. Jennie is too distracted to be celebrating her recovery, making this night fall from all the joy they had.

 

The guilty father bent down, aligning to his daughter on the wheel chair who is dejected and diverted. As he holds her hands he whispers, “I’m sorry. You know we’ll do everything for you, right? But not this time or one of these days yet, since it’s still a mess out there.  You know that and we can’t just jump out there and join the war. I’m just trying to think what’s best for you but we’ll review about the situation soon. For now, I want you to stay here together with us. I hope you understand Jennie…”

 

“Dad, please let’s help Lisa…” Jennie pleaded in between her soft sobs. “If I can’t be there for her then at least do something. Help me. Help her.”

 

Her father held her hands tighter and said, “I’ll think about that. I’ll schedule a meeting with her parents soon and we’ll see if I can take any reconsideration. Will that be fine for now? As a parent and as a businessman, you should know it’s not that easy to do. Give me some time to think about this matter, but not today.”

 

Jennie nodded, “Okay… I understand. Thank you, dad.”

 

Everyone witnessed how Jennie can be so exposed and vulnerable when it comes to Lisa. She has learned to be so wretched without her partner. She has turned into a woman craving for Lisa’s affection, both making her weak and strong at the same time. And because she’s too uncovered, Jisoo observed how the person she loves is slowly drifting away from her hold; heart’s being taken by someone who isn’t even beside her, loving someone that’s not her. And so Jisoo has begun feeling defeated.

 

“Why does it have to be Lisa?” Jisoo asked herself, sighing at this setback growing that she cannot stop from falling.

 

Thankfully, saving the night from sinking deeper into discomfort is the mother who stays positive, clapping her hands once again as she wakes them up from the silence, “Okay, okay… let’s all sit down and enjoy the dinner. Jennie still has to rest early.”

 

The feast resumes as ordered and Jennie needed to force herself for a smile for the night’s sake not to be wasted by her dramas from missing a person that’s yet impossible to have. In the midst of meal, she has the food stuck in , just for a few bites and she would stop again just to space out. She sat there with everyone else laughing and enjoying but there she is, sitting with a heavy heart.

 

Lisa on the other hand carries a heart as heavy as Jennie is, perhaps heavier that every second she spent her day in this dance studio with intense practice, not once she let Jennie slipped out from her mind. Every step she did, every pant she was catching in between the hard choreographies, every count they beat with the music, Lisa planted Jennie in the middle of her heart, dedicating it all amidst of this depression still hitting her.

 

Because she has been trying so hard, because she’s missing Jennie so bad and because she feels so heavy carrying all the burden, exhaustion hit her faster than before. With her body laid on the cold floor and her sweaty shirt she hasn’t changed, she heavily breathes staring straight up the lights above her, picturing Jennie’s smile she loves the most.

 

“Lisa, aren’t you coming with us? We’re leaving.” Taeyang disturbed Lisa’s hush on the floor as he stared down at her.

 

Lisa lazily waves her hands up and answered aloof, “You guys can just go ahead. I’ll stay here for a while. I want to be alone.”

 

“If you say so but don’t do anything stupid, okay? No one’s going to hear you in here.” Taeyang warned.

 

But Lisa laughs, taking it as a joke as she returns looking up at her senior, “What, are you trying to say I’m going to commit suicide in here or something? I’m not that low oppa. I still have to marry Jennie and live with her forever. I can’t take my own life just yet.”

 

“I was expecting you’ll say we still have the dance competition to finish but all you said was Jennie.” Taeyang playfully sulked and left the giggling Lisa.

 

Lisa’s short sniggers disappeared the moment she heard the door closed and puts her dreamy eyes back to the ceiling. As she stares longer, only imaginations and dreams of her love one pops in her mind. She misses Jennie’s shoulders where she rests her chin and get comfy. She misses the smell of Jennie’s sweet fruity perfume she often wears on her nape, the smell she secretly sniffs at night sometimes to put herself to sleep. She misses watching Jennie’s back while she cooks their breakfast, her humming to a song while she prepares the table that comes with her cute apron.

 

“Damn, I miss her…” Lisa groaned as she closed her eyes, regretting she didn’t realize beforehand, earlier before she lost Jennie in her care.

 

It was then that her phone rings aloud shattering a drama that almost ate her and almost jolted from the floor. Lisa doesn’t know what to feel, either to be thankful that this call prevented her to be so emotional yet again or curse that it crushed her dreams of Jennie but she does know that the phone just won’t end from ringing unless she has to pick it up herself.

 

It’s lucky for her that her phone is reachable from her position, needed not to stand from her laziness to check on the call. “Chaeyoung?” She reacted confused reading at the caller’s name. At first she was scared to answer, thinking that the same might happen like before. But as soon as the first call ended, the second one came immediately. She contemplated but she feels sorry for ignoring at the same time.

 

Thus, Lisa took her deepest breath before answers sounding sluggish, “Oh, Chaeyoung… what is it? If you called to ask me to be with you again or accompany you or whatsoever, don’t expect me to say yes this time. I have no time to be involved with someone else’s mess this time. I got my own problem to fix too you know.”

 

“Wow, how cold can you get? Am I not allowed to call too?” Chaeyoung responded, taken aback from Lisa’s tone yet she only chuckled at her attitude. “I’m not calling to ask something so selfish again, okay? Calm down. And I’m not trying to be friends with you either.” She then assured as she settled in solemn.

 

Lisa forced her tired body to sit up from the cold floor and again demands lazily, “What do you want then?”

 

“I’m just checking on you. How are you? You’re everywhere recently to the point you’re now more popular than I am.” Chaeyoung asked earnest.

 

Lisa sighs, “You just said you don’t want to be friends yet you’re asking how I am.” But still she goes on rejoining brutally honest, “I’m still here at the dance studio, thinking of what should I do to get Jennie back and how will I face her again. It’s so hard to focus on dancing because Jennie’s out there without me. It frustrates me.”

 

“I see. So you’re confused, huh?” Chaeyoung was heard humming and Lisa imagines her nodding.

 

“Excuse me but is that what you really want to ask me?” The suspicious Lisa questioned. “Well, I feel kind of weird honestly… I mean, we didn’t really have a good talk the last time we met but you’re suddenly and unexpectedly comfortable. I’m sorry but I find if odd…” She then said.

 

“Are you expecting me to be still crying on a corner after you just frankly told me that you love Jennie-unnie? I’m not that kind of idiot and who do you think I am?” Chaeyoung boasted.

 

Chaeyoung might be sounding so tough and giggly, but unknown to Lisa, out of anyone’s sight is the lonely her locked up in this expansive hotel room all alone. Isolating herself from the world is Chaeyoung who’s in the process of acceptance, as she’s making her greatest sacrifice of her life of letting go of someone she could have called her ‘mine’. She could be busting out into tears but she isn’t yet, only that she feels so alone, unable to reach for the happiness she wants just yet.

 

Lisa rides along with her assertions, and again repeats, “So, what is it that you really want?”

 

Thus, Chaeyoung admits smiling so bitter, “I visited Jennie-unnie last time and you might say I’m interfering but I went my way out to talk with her and asked her to give you one more chance…”

 

“You did?” Lisa shrieked. “W-what did she say? Did she ask for me? Is she worried?” She then frantically inquired, suddenly getting oh so panicked.  

 

“She’s so worried for you.” Chaeyoung said and Lisa grinned triumphant but proceeds with unfortunate news, “She couldn’t answer me when I asked her though. My visit was cut off that time because she had to take her check-up and I was forced to go back home. I guess it’s still hard for her to decide.”

 

Lisa frowns and sulks leaning against the studio’s mirror walls, “I should have expected that. Maybe she really hates me for ditching her in our first date. But I’m not saying it’s your fault too. If only I made better decisions then this shouldn’t be happening.”

 

“However, Jennie-unnie is a strong woman. I’ve come to know that when we talked at the hospital. That’s why, you should trust Jennie with her decisions. Even if I wasn’t able to get an answer from her, I’m confident she already has an answer for herself. She got your back and I’m sure of it.” Chaeyoung said to cheer up the sudden desolated woman.

 

Lisa questions in doubt, creasing her eyebrows, “Did she tell you anything more? You sound like you know something…”

 

But Chaeyoung lies using her soft pompous snickers, “Even if there are I won’t tell you.”

 

“Boo~ unfair!” Lisa chanted as she pouts.

 

“Anyway…” Chaeyoung exhaled loud, finally putting some seriousness in her tone as she retorts grave, “I know how much Jennie means to you, especially after that night we last talked. So, you shouldn’t give up on her. You have to fight. If you’re true to her, go and prove it using your own ways and not in rich society likes. If you were able to do it before on me, then you have to do better with her. She’s gold and letting her go will only haunt you forever. Don’t ever lie with your feelings again Lisa. Don’t make it hard on yourself. Let’s not repeat the same mistakes of the past anymore.”

 

“Chaeyoung…”

 

“Okay, so that’s it for me.” Chaeyoung concluded breathing out with a laugh to release her emotions. “I’m sorry if I couldn’t be of any help for you. I’m sorry if I made things worse for the both of you. I hope you’ll find happiness but I’m sure you will though. You’re just so stubborn after all.” She followed up extending the words she couldn’t say before, these words she needed so much courage to say.

 

Chaeyoung was about to hang up, but the worried Lisa halts her with a inquiry, “W-wait… how about you, where will you go now? What will you do from here on? Will you be fine alone? What will you do to your ex-fiancé by the way?”

 

“I’m going on hiatus in this industry for a while. I was advised to tone down until things have settled at home. I’m going to try being an independent woman and I don’t regret breaking up with that abusive man. I think it wouldn’t be that difficult for someone like me. Until then, I won’t be around.” Chaeyoung said confidently.

 

“Are you sure?” Lisa still asked.

 

“Really Lisa, worrying about me now? Shouldn’t you be worrying about Jennie and the upcoming dance competition first? Semi-final is no joke you know.” Chaeyoung teased.   

 

“Y-you’re right…” Lisa awkwardly smiled.

 

“So, until we meet again, Lisa. It’s nice talking to you like this. We won’t be carrying any extra loads in our shoulders anymore.”

 

And before ending this earnest closure, Lisa lastly said, “Thank you Chaeyoung… and I’m sorry for everything. I promise I won’t let the past repeat itself again. I’ll do it right this time and I hope so do you. With this, I wish everything will be fine. I and Jennie will be rooting for you.”

 

“Goodbye, Lisa.”

 

Chaeyoung cut the call herself before Lisa could even hear her crying. These tears aren’t as painful as what she had been pouring out in secret. These are the tears she never thought she would pour out before, these teardrops that speak of freedom from everything that has been binding her.

 

And the following day launched and what’s new to a lonely morning? There’s none for the arrested heir in her mansion. The sunlight passes through her windows adjacent to her bed where she sits up but she visions it so dark and black. She isn’t drunk but she’s having the most terrible hangover in her life so far. She isn’t crippled but she cannot feel her legs for a walk to entertain her morning. Nevertheless, she is more than awake for to start this gloomy morning.

 

“Miss Jennie…” A maid came in after knocking serval times. She approached the weak heir sitting up in her bed and said, “Miss Jisoo is here for a visit.”

 

And Jennie only exhales loud showing how impassive she is, “Yeah sure. Just let her in.”

 

“Good morning!” Jisoo entered the room so happy and bubbly holding typical gifts for a sick person, some flowers and bunch fruits in a basket.

 

Jennie forces out a smile, “Thank you. Don’t you have classes?”

 

“I have but I decided to drop by here to check on you first.” Jisoo said as she sat on Jennie’s bedside, caring extraordinarily as she had to fix the curled blankets to have her lap covered. And while she shows how much she cares, she examines genuinely, “How are you feeling now? Do you feel any better?”

 

“Yeah but I’m too lazy to get out. I have nothing to do anyway and my parents wouldn’t allow me to move around too much so I’d rather stay here by myself.” Jennie replied yet again reserved with another heavy sigh coming out from her parted dry lips.

 

Jennie can see Jisoo’s mouth speaking words with a smile but she cannot hear anything as if she has gone deaf. The reason, Jisoo sits on that same spot where Lisa sat so carefree before, that day she was introduced to her room for the very first time. Jisoo may be there sitting but Jennie pictures the foul-mouthed Lisa insulting her room. Recalling that certain momentous day also brought her back to that very first time she has a touch of Lisa’s kiss on the side of her lips, which still lingers up to this very moment. Jennie couldn’t help it. The more she stays alone and distant from her, the more she hallucinates of their moments together.

 

“Jennie? Are you even listening to what I’m saying?” Jisoo snapped her fingers in between those widened eyes upon noticing the remoteness.       

            

Embarrassed, Jennie heaves her thousandth sigh only for this morning under her cold palms and confesses, “Sorry Jisoo. I’m just not feeling well right now.”

 

“Do you need anything? Should I call the nurse? Or maybe your doctor?” Jisoo asked very concerned.

 

But Jennie goes on admitting unguarded, “It’s not like that. It’s just that I suddenly thought of Lisa again. It feels like it’s been years since I last saw and talked to her. Sometimes I even doubt if dad really is doing something about the decisions. I’m always locked up in here knowing none of what’s happening outside, especially to Lisa. I just want to know what she’s up to…”

 

Jennie could go on more and more and it might go endless, but as she spits more about Lisa, Jisoo snapped out, shouting to cut her off in her stand, “Enough with Lisa for God’s sake! I’m the one who’s here taking care of you, concern for you and everything, but you’re looking for someone who is not even here and doesn’t deserve you at all!”

 

Jennie is completely taken aback and so she can only utter hard, “S-s-sorry… I didn’t m-mean to offend you…”

 

Jisoo however remains on ranting, “Seriously, Jennie… Why do you care for her that much? Have you forgotten what she’s done to you? She hurt you. She chose someone else and not you! She took you for granted and even caused you too much that you ended up like this and yet you talk like she’s such a good person who deserves all your care in this world. Jennie, open your eyes!”

 

Jennie though defends but in composure, “It’s because I love her, okay? Do I really have to say it still before everyone has to understand why I care for her this much? Okay fine, call me martyr and stupid, but even after what she has done to me, I can’t bring myself to hate her. I tried that’s why I cried myself to sleep but it’s not working and the more I force myself to think that I hate her, it gets harder for me each day. By the end of the day, even if she has done too many wrongs, it can never be replaced by the few good things she did for me.”

 

“So this is what I get after everything I’ve been doing for you?” Jisoo confronted and now Jennie is on a state of confusion. “So all my sacrifices worth nothing? Why do you even choose her? She can’t provide you good environment and she may belong to the rich society but I don’t think she can provide you with the wealth and care you need. She’s just nothing but those typical rich kids wasting their parents’ money for their own good, breaking the rules for their selfish desires.”

 

Jennie’s shock can only get deeper and deeper as she’s speechless of this side of Jisoo she never thought she possesses. Her sweet smile she normally wears, and not to mention that smile that once made her heart throb, her cheerful personality she just showed earlier is nowhere to be found and her charming pleasant voice are nowhere to found as if she’s facing a whole new person questioning her life.

 

“Jisoo… what’s gotten into you…” Jennie hardly voiced, disappointed of Jisoo’s attitudes she never seen before.

 

Jisoo snaps more, out of her sanity, “What’s wrong with me? Then what’s with you too Jennie? So you pretend to be blind of Lisa’s wrongdoings and what for that I wasted time, money and effort to expose Lisa to the public if you’ll only end up going to her…”

 

The prior words of hers were in a blur but in a click, Jennie registered Jisoo’s slip of words, her last words that triggers her sharp wits and interrogates intently, “You’re the one who provided the article to the media? You’re the one who leaked Lisa’s personal information to the public? Care to explain yourself?”

 

Jisoo reverted back to her saneness after quickly realizing how far her madness has gone and now there’s no way she can return it back as she clearly stated it, furthermore, there’s no way she can lie and cover up from Jennie’s sharpness. Jennie’s angry fuming glare corners her as she was never looked that way before, particularly coming from Jennie herself. There’s no way to run and definitely no other way to be going around on circles anymore. It’s now or never.

 

 Jisoo turns away from those piercing glares of Jennie before confessing almost in a murmur, “Because I love you…”

 

“What…”

 

“Because I care for you and I didn’t want you to be hurt. Watching you cry, looking at the pain in your eyes and knowing Lisa is causing it, I just can’t endure any longer. I love you and all I wanted was to save you from the hands of a wrong person…” There, Jisoo said it all, not leaving a word out of her confession.

 

Rather than feeling moved with a mixture of blow from her confession, Jennie feels more of a disappointment towards Jisoo. She feels betrayed and feels she was backstabbed by one of the people she trusts the most in this world full of lies. It disappoints her so much that the person she thought she can lean on ended up to the root cause of Lisa’s life that can only get on being more miserable. She caused the downfall of the person she genuinely loves and this Jennie can’t seem to hold on her composure anymore. Jennie can be the nicest person that anyone can meet and can rely on, but not when the people dear to her get damaged. And if this happens, she can also be as evil as no one thought she can be.

 

For the first time, to start her day, Jennie finally gets out from the bed with her small weak steps only to approach Jisoo and land her heaviest slap she can ever give to someone, nothing compared to the one she once landed to Lisa before. And now Jisoo feels the pain of being slapped the way she hit Lisa and the pain of rejection she feared of getting from all these secrets she kept inside her darkening heart.

 

“How dare you mess up Lisa’s life…” Jennie grumbled with her shaking fists she’s resisting not to sway from her side. “You didn’t only mess up her life but you messed mine too. For once, did it come to your mind that I was trying to protect everything that you just disclosed to the world? You wasted everything that I worked hard for. You destroyed everything, not only Lisa but also my trust in you. I never thought you can do this to me. Just when I thought I found a friend I can cry on to when I’m in pain, you just broke it all…”

 

“I’m sorry…” Jisoo cried.

 

But Jennie doesn’t end there as she goes on extending her utmost dismay, “And you’re saying you love me? Let me enlighten you Jisoo. What you’re doing for me isn’t love and I won’t need that wicked love from you. Maybe I could have learned how to love you truly if you faced the battle fair but you didn’t. Moreover, it’s not you who’s going to tell on what’s right and what’s wrong, who’s the right one for me or not. I decide that on my own and no one else will, not even Lisa.”

 

“Jennie, I’m so sorry…” Jisoo begged for forgiveness in her heavy cries as she attempted to pull Jennie for an embrace but ended up pushed back to receive another sway of her heavy wrathful palm.

 

Jennie walked towards the door and has it open herself as she commands Jisoo with a warning, “Get out. I’m giving you a chance to step out of my room with your own feet before I call the guards to have you drag out. I don’t want to hear any more excuses from you. Leave now before my vision gets dark on you.”

 

Jisoo’s trembling legs voluntarily made its way out and the door behind her banged close. Jennie’s too stressed from the revelation, too strained from all the anger she released and easily drained from all the energy she exerted that she cried in vulnerability. In addition to her stress are the facts she never knew existed and she can only think of all these things all at the same time.

 

From the mansion’s veranda, not far from Jennie’s room are the parents preparing to start their day who heard faint thunders coming out from their daughter’s room. She became that surprisingly loud that it shocked the parents settled in the master’s bedroom, wondering why Jennie suddenly made such commotion. As it’s faint and barely comprehended, the parents can only be kept marveling.

 

Hence, the mother questions the maid preparing their coats, “Was that Jennie just now?”

 

“Yes ma’am. I think she’s having some argument with Miss Jisoo who came to visit her.” The maid informed.

 

The father then speculates, “She must just be throwing some morning tantrums. Seung-hyun said it’s normal for her to be easily irritated especially that she’s not allowed to get out of this mansion. Well, unless she asks for permission then she can go out but she has to be with our guards. We can’t just let her go out there and let the media feast on her.”

 

“Aren’t we being too hard on Jennie with this banning agreement? I feel sorry for my daughter. She might be feeling imprisoned in here that’s why she gets so easily annoyed and everything.” The concerned mother frowned.

 

The man stays firm with his beliefs, “She’ll get over it soon, especially that Manoban. She’s only acting like that because the wound is still recent.”

 

But, being a mother, she knows best of her daughter. Thus she immediately cracks her husband’s selfishness with facts, “Jennie loves Lisa. Furthermore, we both heard Lisa at the hospital. We can’t pretend oblivious of it. They have learned love each other. I believe you’re not that naïve not to feel that and to forbid them may only cause more stress and it will only make her rebellious towards us. Just look at her, she doesn’t even want to talk to us anymore. I’m worried she might end up being a prisoner.”

 

“I know that! Of course I’m aware of that that’s why I haven’t released any word yet about the possible break up with our partnership to the Manoban!” The father acclaimed. “I’m also thinking of all the possible ways both for the business’s sake and for our daughter’s sake. For now that I’m in the process of finding solutions for this mess, as much as possible I want Jennie to be kept safe here in our care. I know she’s having a hard time being locked up and banned and it’s hard for us too but at times, this is the best way available.” He then articulated for the wife to fully grasp on his goals and intentions.

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know you’re thinking like that. Honestly, I don’t know if what we’re doing is right but I hope this will end soon so that our daughter won’t be having any hard time anymore.” The mother said and hugged her grimacing husband.  

  

In contrary for Jennie who finds time so slow as if it froze, time moves too fast for Lisa. She’s in no right and perfect condition to be practicing but it’s just right in time for her lazy body as the day’s practice ended early, unlike the usual when they have to stay up till midnight if possible. All she wishes for is at least a day she can free her mind from her worries but unfortunately for her who lives in the rich society, adding that she’s on the spotlight, rest won’t be in her dictionary anytime soon.

 

It was one lonely dusk when Lisa started filling her backpack with her clothes, shoes and other materials she needs for the dance competition, the performance she tried to focus on in the middle of this war she's losing yet she hangs on in hopes of winning against the powerful. Her room that used to be clean and well-organized, now back to its usual messy with her clothes scattered everywhere and no one to have it fix for her, no Jennie who patiently folds it for her and to have her room tidy. Yet in a corner is where Jennie's luggage and bags where it remains untouched for consecutive days but it's good news for her no one came to pick it up yet and definitely wouldn't want that to happen.

 

"I wonder how Jennie is doing..." Lisa mumbled to herself as she walked towards her dresser where the most important thing rests on top.

 

Lisa stares down at their engagement rings she placed on top. Realizing at how good the rings look so good together, she smiled at the thought of having the both of them wearing it like any other happy and stable couples do but frown forms in her lips realizing however that she never got a chance to show Jennie she's wearing it the same as her. It is only now that she's learning the importance of this ring she once thought of a padlock out of her freedom, now that it's free from Jennie's finger.

 

"It's not yet late to wear this, right?" Lisa again talked to herself as she sighed.

 

She picked up her ring and has her ring finger wrapped by it. She's never used of having something to tie her finger but nonetheless, she likes the shimmering view of it as she raised her hand up to the room lights, giggling at the thought of it as a sign of being taken and not available for any other random women out at the clubs. And she has the other ring in her backpack, keeping it safe at the smallest pocket inside of it.

 

Lisa had to cut off this trail of imaginations of her and Jennie because it might not end if she stays idle from what this day can bring her. She has to go out there, in her heavy backpack and heavy heart and face the public through her passion, in front all the judgmental eyes of the crowd and show them what she's made of not as what the article stated.

 

"Miss Lisa..." The condominium's guard rushed up to her floor and blocked her way before she could even press the elevator. "It's not safe to go out. There are media rumbling at the ground floor forcing their way in here. It seems like they already know you're living in here." He then urgently delivered, panting as he said.

 

Lisa rolls her eyes and grunts, "Well it's not surprising if we have nosy neighbors out there selling information to the media..."

 

"We already closed the main door so that the others won't be bothered too. They are just so persistent." The guard said so concerned for Lisa's tight situation.

 

However, Lisa taps the worried guard's shoulder and confidently smirks, "Don't worry. I got this. I'll be leaving for the dance competition anyway. I can't possibly stay here and miss the semi-finals just because of them."

 

"What will you do Miss Lisa? Should we open the fire exit and the back doors?" The guard asked.

 

The elevator opened and Lisa finally winked at the guard saying, "Leave this to me. I'll handle this on my own way. Thanks for your concern though."

 

Just outside the closed glass door are the people pushing some more guards persistently asking a permission to enter. Looking at it from afar by the elevator that opened, Lisa can obviously determine, this persistent crowd is the media as they hold camera and reporters harassing the hardworking guards stopping them at any cost. 

 

"Wow. They just won't stop." The disgusted Lisa grumbled yet she marched forward closer to the locked glass door to reveal herself from the momentarily stunned media.

 

It took them a minute or two, gazing so close at this woman who appeared before them behind that closed glass door dividing them apart, before they finally recognized, "It's Lalisa Manoban!"

 

Cameras started flashing endlessly as at long last, Lisa reveals herself for the first time to the media, letting it be spread throughout the nation. They became ravenous and greedy for this surprise exposure from Lisa. The target, nevertheless, has no plans on dodging any of these cameras blinding her sight and to escape from all the greedy people despite of how uncomfortable she can get from being surged and open too much.

 

More guards came running to her and offer their helping hand, "Miss Lisa, we'll make a way and clear a space for you to get into your car once we open the door. We'll get you covered. We're so sorry for the inconvenience."

 

Lisa responds while trying to check from a distance where she parked her car behind this thick crowd covering it, "Don't apologize unless you’re the one who leaked and sold the information to them. It's not anyone's fault in here that I'm being ambushed."

 

From Lisa's point of view, the situation is becoming more of a zombie apocalypse with all these people hungry for her blood, sticking their oily and sweaty faces on the glass door to make it so dirty. This is the kind of attention she managed to get and grab from the mass, the attention she never wished for yet the attention she has to face, not for her sake but for Jennie's sake.

 

“Is the article and are the rumors true?”

 

“How are you related to Rose? How is she involved with your relationship with Jennie?”

 

“Are you really just forced to wed Jennie Kim?”

 

“Please tell us the recent condition of Jennie Kim!”

 

These are just some of the questions being thrown and shouted that are passing through the closed door that's going to break anytime. There are many more that Lisa can decipher from all the noise but these are the only ones ringing into her ears. The disrespect is everywhere, not only towards her but to Jennie who is innocent in this mess. Really, the media following this story of rich society’s war will never be pleased unless they are given what they want.

 

"Open the door." Lisa commanded the hesitant guard. "There's something I want to do. They won't stop anyway so I'll just have a short word with them. I won't take long so please guard me and make a bit of space. I don't want to get injured even before the competition starts." She then said in hoarse.

 

"Y-yes ma'am!" The guards saluted as they obeyed.

 

The few guards positioned themselves around Lisa before the door opened wide and the media started feasting onto their prey. Their random spits of question coming from all sides are incomprehensible and Lisa can only consider it as nothing but noises. Camera flashes became twice the speed, making the surroundings white for Lisa who hardly walks forward.

 

With the dependable guards' help, Lisa successfully stood in the middle of the ravenous crowd. Microphones, recorders and mobile phones are all directed so close towards her and at some point some pokes it into her face. But Lisa cared none of their persistence for in the first place, she isn't tolerating this uneasiness for them, but to deliver her straightforward message.

 

Lisa clears before she bluntly speaks monotonous, "I have nothing to tell the public. I believe I shouldn't be explaining myself to anyone of you. I'm only standing here in front of you not because I want to talk and please any of your curiosities but I'm here because I have something to tell my fiancé."

 

Lisa expected them to be offended of her bluntness but they just tended closer with the cameras closer for a record as they eagerly asks, "What do you want to tell Jennie Kim?"

 

Lisa looks into the camera positioned in front of her and uses it to express, to convey her message to Jennie as she softly utters, "I'm going to the semi-finals. I'm going to dance on that stage like what I've always been doing. We'll do our best and show the result of our hard work. That's all. Please rest well and recover fast because I still have to fulfill my promise with you. I won't disappoint you because I meant what I said that time. You may not know what I'm saying but I'll make sure to repeat it for you. I'll tell you personally so wait for me."

 

Lisa ended her message and immediately proceeds to her car where the guards cleared her way to it. She didn't explain anything more and didn't feed what the media asked her for a follow-up. The reporters still insisted on getting more from her as they blocked her car from speeding away. Because they are so persistent, Lisa turned so annoyed that she needed to blow her horns loud and multiple times before they moved out of the way and let escape victorious from their persistence.

 

The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter