Chapter 1 : The Heirs

Rich Society
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 1 The Heirs

 

They are the royal amongst all the classes in this modern society. They are known as untouchables and too fragile to touch yet castaway from anyone and anything below them. They play with their cash while others die to have one in their hands. They have wads of money ready in their pockets while others barely have coins clinking in their wallets. They have countless wealth while others struggle to have it their entire life. They sleep in their bed of treasures while all these people below them, looking up to them, barely acquire a cushion to have a good night sleep. They are the luckiest people of this world, and so the common public believes. They are often referred to as the Rich Society.

 

Rich Society, often times being stereotyped as selfish people who know nothing but earning money and looking down on poor life as peasants. Sadly, what these judgmental people are unaware of is the actual life of the rich society hiding behind the walls of money. Truly, the underprivileged do suffer things that the rich society might not feel but the same goes for the rich people. For the poor knows none of the endeavors behind all these treasures, they are ignorant of their kinds, oblivious of their human emotions.

 

Yes, the rich society doesn’t only compose of selfish group that most of the public constantly presumes. It comprises different kinds of people like how the general community works. There are good and there are bad, there’s the bright side and there’s the dark side. The rich society works like this, contrasts and contradictions, equally and likewise to any other individual.

 

“Good morning Miss Jennie. Welcome to World Hotel.” The receptionists in unison brightly greeted this gracious yet chic-looking lady whom they respectfully named with a formal bow.

 

Walking courteously, the lady named Jennie in her stylish casual outfit returns the same bright morning smile as she greets them back, “Good morning. Have a nice day and don’t strain yourself too much!”

 

“Wow, you sure are popular in this place huh? Everyone’s bowing down on you. As expected from the daughter of a great man, you’re such an eye candy.” Her amazed companion commented upon noticing the staffs and other servants waving and greeting her humbly.

 

Jennie titters while they continue marching forward into the expansive yet crowded lobby, “Of course Nayeon. We own this hotel in the first place. Everyone knows me here except for some of these guests wondering around.”

 

World Hotel, a place compared to a paradise, to an Eden where everything’s heaven-like, from its structure to its services. The superior ambiance, the premium amenities they can offer, the top class services they can render, all these world class features they can provide are to satisfy and delight these guests and visitors, may it be local or foreign people, to snatch the satisfaction and total quality management that any topnotch business can offer.

 

“Look who’s here, isn’t it the World Hotel’s sole heir, Miss Jennie Kim?” Someone praised.

 

Jennie swiftly tilted her head around reaching that foreign husky voice with an accent of an old man. Though puzzled for she cannot recognize this old man in his exclusive business suit with his well-dressed wife, so Jennie presumed, she still smiled back at them and formally initiates a handshake saying in her fluent English, “Ah yes. I am Jennie Kim and it’s so nice to meet you. Excuse my rudeness but may I ask who are you might be? And also, I apologize for wearing so casually right now. I just actually passed by here to give something to my father real quick in his office.”

 

Then his wife softly accepts and acclaims, “Oh please don’t apologize. It’s alright. We understand that. Besides, you look so lovely and adorable even with your casual outfit. You’re such a one fine lady, I have to say. Your parents must be so proud of you.”

 

“T-thank you.” Jennie uttered in a flush.

 

“I see you haven’t talked to your father about us yet.” The old man smirked and Jennie can only stretch out her lips while staring back at his amused eyes. “We’re the Manoban from Thailand and we’re here to talk about some business proposals we have in our minds with your father. You know, we might often see each other soon.” He then said to clear things up for Jennie’s muddled mind.

 

“They must have really researched about your family background. They even know you. Be careful.” Nayeon lowly whispered from behind Jennie who is professionally facing the couple.

 

Realizing Nayeon’s point, Jennie skillfully handles the situation as she rejoins, “Oh I see. Now I remember my father has been busily working on this partnership with an outstanding and exceptional restaurant intensifying throughout the world. I’ve also heard about you and your first-class restaurant once or twice from others. Well, I do hope things will go well for us.”

 

The old man was satisfied with Jennie’s professionalism, on how she turned her simple retorts into charismatic using her smile and those unwavering eyes she have. And so he notes smiling bitterly, “You’re such a professional Miss Jennie Kim, despite of how young you are. You’re still a college student, I presume but you already think like a true businesswoman.”

 

“I highly look up to my father, that’s why.” Jennie humbly said.

 

But the old man frowned as he goes on saying, “I just hope our daughter is just like you too but you see she’s hopeless. She’s just somewhere around here and surely making mess again and again…”

 

“Excuse me?” Jennie raised an eyebrow.

 

Then his wife immediately cuts off awkwardly laughing, “I’m sorry for that one. Please ignore what he just said.”

 

“Uhm… okay?” Jennie timidly nodded, unsure of how to react with this sudden awkwardness that the couple is emitting at the mention of their personal life.

 

“Anyway, we’ll get going. It’s so nice to finally meet you, Miss Jennie Kim. I hope this won’t be the first and last time we’ll talk.” The man concluded and again formed a handshake.

 

To which Jennie gladly accepts with a smile, “Don’t worry. We’ll meet again soon. Have a nice day.”

 

They watch the couple walking away having some small arguments in a mutter and Jennie can tell by just scrutinizing at their backs, the wife’s continuous spitting of words out of towards her mummed husband and some small gestures of annoyance. Jennie observed all of it and left none unnoticed from her observant eyes and from her brilliant mind that’s working extraordinarily for this matter.

 

“So those people will be acquainted to your family soon, huh? No wonder why they know a lot about you. They must have checked on your background when they first discussed about the partnership.” Nayeon guessed, looking at the same direction where Jennie’s eyes are darted at.

 

Jennie breaks her gazes to the couple, who disappeared from the lobby then sighs heavily, “That’s expected since they’ll be investing not only money on us, but also their trust. I’m sure that my father did the same but never told me about it. Well, I wished dad told me though if he really did.”

 

“Do you really want to be that involved with your family business?” Nayeon cautiously asked.

 

“Of course since I’m the only heir, I want to get involved.” Jennie confidently responded but then she scowled as she continues, “But… for dad and mom, I’m useless in this business world and they cannot entrust me with anything. I’m such an incompetent heir…”

 

Nayeon straightaway patted the downhearted Jennie as she attempts for a comfort, “Don’t say that. Your parents are just worried about you, particularly with your health. It’s not that you’re useless. You should know by now, you should know it yourself. It’s painful but you know it yourself that your body can’t handle such things, unless you want to die right away.”

 

“Geez, do you really have to remind me that I’m defective?” Jennie groaned but faintly smiled at Nayeon.

 

“It’s my role as your best friend you silly. Because you’re hard-headed and you sometimes intentionally overlook of your health condition, I have to remind you of it all the time to make sure you won’t go out there to make it hard for yourself. Your parents also asked me to look after you so yeah, I have to comply.” Nayeon recapped and strictly lectured this lady yet both smirking at this discussion.

 

“Well thank you for reminding me that we’re best friends. I almost forgot because you keep on criticizing me and pulling me down.” Jennie sarcastically returned and earned a playful spank from her annoyed best friend. 

 

And this well-known hotel, not only to the public but especially to the upper class, is owned by a powerful family belonging to the rich society, a family that’s famous and recognized and here is the sole heir, as named by the Manoban, the young lady Jennie Kim, being treated like a princess in this entire building they own, like an untouchable royalty of this generation. However, under certain circumstances, this only heir, though she doesn’t have any competitor for the throne, regards herself incapable of the position and the title.

 

The best friends march towards their destination wherein they have to passed by some floors and coming across some guests, and some investors who recognized Jennie. This has been a usual day-to-day routine for people fitting in the rich society, casually meeting one of their kinds along the way like it’s a normal thing, people that public that cannot be seen very often in the crowded sidewalks and busy streets can be informally meet in these kinds of places.

 

“Miss Jennie, what brings you here?” One of the guest services asked the elegant lady as he approached them the time the elevator for VIP opened in front of them, at the exclusive top-most floor of this lavish hotel in which the entire floor is occupied with an office dedicated to the most powerful of this business, Jennie’s father.

 

“Oh, I’m just looking for dad since he forgot something important at home. Where is he?” Jennie politely responded to the alerted servant.

 

However, another man in his suit, having a secretary’s nameplate attached to his coat, interjected and regrettably informed, “Oh, the President is currently on an interview inside his office. He’ll be featured in a business magazine for next month so they are conducting some photoshoots and talks right now. I’m afraid the interview will take long since they are just about to start. Then right after the interview, he’ll have a board meeting with some investors waiting in the meeting room. And lastly, after the meeting he’ll also have a short lunch with the Manoban, our new potential business partner. His schedule is quite tight for this month.”

 

Jennie frowned and appeals, “I see. But can I go inside and take a peek? I just want to see him. I promise I won’t interrupt.”

 

“Sure Miss Jennie. There’s no problem with it.” The secretary said and appreciatively yet silently opened the office door ahead of them for the demanding daughter.

 

Jennie has been in this office for a million times since she was young and from time-to-time there are changes in its interior that always makes her feel new whenever she enters. Likewise for her best friend, who always tags along with her, feeling so different every time they visit this office. And near the opened glass windows of this cold and well-ventilated office, having a perfect view of the city from the sky, there they saw the authoritative man facing this beautiful journalist professionally, in the couch fully set with the necessities they both need for the interview.

 

“Let’s watch it from here. I want to hear what my dad will tell.” Jennie hissed to Nayeon as she suggested and positioned themselves far behind the interviewer but near the photographer and cameramen documenting this one rare interview.

 

Jennie gazes at her father from his seat, the man she looks up to. By just purely looking at him, Jennie can only admire him even more than before. He smiles to cover all his anxieties like any protective parent would do. He professionally handles and keeps things in order like any top businessman can do or even more than that. He controls everything in his hands, may it be for their family or for their business. This man, with the support of this small family he has, he’s here sharing the greatness they acquire.

 

And so the interview launches, “First of all, thank you Mr. Kim for allowing us to have this one exceptional interview. We’re so honored that you let us conduct this.”

 

“Oh, no worries. I’m honored too that we’ll be featured for your next issue. However, we have to make this interview quick if possible. Well, as you know, my schedules are hectic this month.” The man humbly retorted.

 

Thus, the journalist immediately throws in her first query, “Being the owner and President of World Hotel, having numerous branches not only in Asia but also expanding throughout the globe, you never fail to amaze the general public with your generosity. As we all know, you always conduct charities and handed out relief goods to the poor in the countryside. In fact, yesterday, you and your family were just on the news for the event you conducted in the rural area. Because of that, the public admires you more and more. Can you tell us more what inspires you, a high-class man with a prominent family, to be involved in such activities?”

 

The tall man answers courteously, “Helping the poor and the needy has been our family’s tradition and passed down through generations. We’re taught the same by our descendants and passed it until this era. We do this every time we think it’s the right time to do so or whenever there’s a calamity that happened and people are greatly affected, specifically the indigenous ones. Just like lately, the heavy typhoon just passed by the countryside and so our family decided to go there and extend our help. Not because we’ve been into nothing but our business, that doesn’t mean we cannot do good deeds. This is not a business and this is just our family’s personal affairs. As much as possible, we didn’t want our family activities to be publicized for some sort of reasons but I guess it can’t be helped if all eyes are on us.”

 

“That’s admirable of you Mr. Kim. You don’t only keep all the wealth and fortunes for yourself but you also share it to others.” The amazed journalist commented.

 

“Yes, that’s right. We don’t just keep our money to ourselves. Not that I’m boasting but we already have much so where should we put it? Although we belong to the high-class and we’re often being talked to be on the top, that doesn’t mean we don’t sense what the indigenous people feel. We’re all humans obviously and if they feel something then we feel the same. If they are physically, emotionally and mentally stressed, so do us. I mean, being rich doesn’t exempt us from feeling what the entire humanity feels. And with this in mind, we would want to share what we have to those people who need it more.” The man further explained his side in calm.

 

The journalist, as well as the other staffs gathered around applauded and notes, “Impressive Mr. Kim. You’re truly an inspiration.”

 

“Actually, at some point, I and my wife wanted to put a hold to these activities because our business is continuously growing bigger and it’s becoming globally competitive. Our time tables are so tight and it’s so hard to fit in all the time, unless we won’t sleep. But you know I have a persistent and hard-headed daughter who insisted on continuing it and so we couldn’t say no to her. There are times she’s the one leading our charities and helps out together with her best friend too.” The man said and laughed at this image of his pouting daughter in his mind.

 

And the journalist giggles along, “You must have taught and raised her well. Maybe she must be aiming to be a leader like you too. Isn’t she the sole heir of World Hotel? She’s your only daughter and her name is Jennie, isn’t it? We sometimes see a glimpse of her on the news too and she’s lovely.”

 

“Ah yes. Her name is Jennie, my only daughter. She’s currently in college taking up a business course.” The man proudly introduced with a bragging grin written all over his face.

 

However, the journalist regrettably remarks, “Reports are saying though that she has a con heart defect. If time comes in the future, will you still let her take over your business and be the next great President? Will she be able to handle it despite of her condition?”

 

“Well… about that…” The man hesitated.

 

He’s been focusing hard with the interview that it took him so long to take notice of his daughter standing right behind the cameraman and the photographer, listening intently to every word he utters and carefully absorbing all of his proficiency. He saw his daughter glowered upon the mention of her being an heir, grimaced on how he hesitated at the question as she looked down and avoided eye contact.   

 

“Oh, you’re here Miss Jennie Kim.” The journalist then also realized as she directed where the man is looking at behind her.

 

The man urgently makes a stand and announced, “Can we take a fifteen-minute break? Let me just talk to my daughter.”

 

“Oh sure. It’s fine.” The journalist respectfully acknowledged and makes a temporary exit out of the office together with the staffs that are with her.

 

The father cautiously walked close to his daughter who seemed disappointed with him. This isn’t the first time he saw this side of her but already seen the same dejected expression every single time he talks about business and disregards her at some point. Though this isn’t new to him, he feels so bad and guilty whenever Jennie manifests this evident depression in her face with her lowering lips and weak stares she hides under her dangling hair.

 

“I thought you’re having a tight schedule. What’s with the fifteen-minute break?” Jennie coldly asked as she looked out through the windows.

 

“Family first.” Her father rejoined short.

 

The sulking Jennie roughly extends her hands as she passes that one folder in her hand lowly uttering, “Here. You forgot it on your table this morning so I came to give it to you.”

 

“Thank you.” The father at first reacted but he goes on saying, “You should have just asked our servants to deliver this here instead of making an effort to come here. You still have to attend your classes too and it will start in a few hours I believe. Moreover, what if you got stressed and had a heart attack again? You know I don’t want that to happen and your mom might kill me if something happened to you while you’re on your way here. Please do watch yourself all the time. Don’t be so carefree.”

 

“I just wanted to be useful at least once in a while. Besides, I’m in a perfect condition today. I properly took all my medicines this morning and the doctor said it himself that I’m doing well.” Jennie pouted.

 

The father though smiled at her childishness and pulled her for a tight warm embrace to comfort her. “You’re already more than useful for me Jennie. Please don’t make it so hard for yourself and for us anymore. Just do what’s best for you, okay? We got this. Please understand.” He then said softy in hopes that it will calm her.

 

“But dad, I just—“

 

The father immediately cuts her off, “No more buts young one. You should go to the university and attend your classes instead of being here and stressing yourself out with us. This isn’t the best place for you.” Then he looks over to Nayeon at a corner and orders, “Can you take your hard-headed best friend out of here and drive her to school and look after her?”

 

“Aye sir!” Nayeon saluted and gently pulled Jennie farther from her father.

 

The father lastly patted his daughter’s lowered head and said, “Be a good girl, Jennie.”

 

“Yeah…”

 

This has been Jennie’s life ever since she was pronounced as weak and labeled herself as an unreliable defective heir. She’s been constantly pushed back by her own parents, not because they hate her but because they care for her more than anything else, more than this wealth they have in their hands. Yet, nevertheless, Jennie, knowing that she’s the only one, feels a huge responsibility resting in her shoulders, a duty that only her can do. Hence, being the heir of this family she loves, despite of how hard she’s dealing and battling with her own self, she feels the need to push through with her limits.

 

This has been the bright and good side of the rich society. However, the good and decent won’t exist if the dark and negative side doesn’t exist. There would be no white without the black and vice versa. There will always be dark if there’s a light and there would be no shadows behind the glow. For people live differently, live with varying beliefs and views in life, it creates opposing sides and contradicting standpoints. Be on businesses or personal life, there will always be people who live under the shade, under the darkness and gloom in their dark hearts.

 

If there’s the good side of rich society, if there’s the modest and ever charming heir and if there’s a family who mastered the art of kindness, then there would be the total opposite side of it. Jennie may have been living under the roof and care of her supportive parents and she may have been living like a princess of a royal family but not all as rich and as powerful as her receives the same treatment. One best example is this unruly and rebellious blonde woman in her 20s.

 

In this suite hotel room she stays in, she regain her consciousness one early morning under the crumpled white bed sheets with a messy hair and beneath those thick blankets. Thanks to this phone ringing on the bedside, with her dizziness and rumbled mind, she found herself in this unfamiliar room equipped with comforts but she felt no panic and only groaned deep as severe headache started drumming to her brain.

 

The woman with her smudged make-up rolled closer to the phone and lazily answers, “Yes?”

 

“Ah, is this Miss Lalisa Manoban?” The caller respectfully and smoothly voiced over the phone.

 

And the woman who was named Lalisa returned another lazy and husky retort, “Yes, why?”

 

“This is the billing services of World Hotel. We would just like to remind you that your time has already expired and you need to check out within the next hour. If you would want Miss Lalisa, are you going to extend days for your stay with our hotel?” The caller dutifully informed.

 

“Oh no, thanks. I’ll be out in a minute.” The lazy woman said and immediately dropped the phone call.

 

The sluggish lady Lalisa wobbly sat up on the bed and eyed on her own bare body being brushed by the cold breeze coming out from the air conditioner. She sniffed the mixed aroma of sugar apples and grapes sticking into her skin and coming out from her morning breathe. There are red marks planted like land mines from her chest down to her belly as she counted with her eyes. Then wiping off her lips is a lipstick stain that’s not hers as the unrecognizable color tainted her hands. Lastly she traveled her half-opened eyes to the cold tiled floor and there are her clothes and underwear scattered, together with an outfit that’s unfamiliar to her.

 

“Oh damn… I did it again…” She grumbled as she finally grasped what kind of situation she’s currently in.

 

Although she’s in an unfamiliar room in such a scandalous situation, she felt no fright and acted normal in her usual morning stretches to her wide morning yawns. Like any other people who wakes up naturally in the morning, she checks on her time, walks out of the bed and get herself dressed, picking up her crumpled shirt and pants on the floor to kick off her day.

 

“Babe~” A y woman with looks moaned under the thick blankets she left, in a same situation as her moments ago when she’s and full of red marks all over her smooth body.

 

The passive lady in the bedside wearing her sneakers replies, “What? Get off the bed now and leave.”

 

The one sits up, snaking her arms around the inattentive one from behind and she seductively whispers close to her cold ears with her lips brushing against her earlobes, “Can we go another round?”

 

For the first second, she was given a dirty smile but then it was proximately replaced with a death glare together with a cold return, “No. One night is enough and don’t ever show up to me ever again. Did you understand? I don’t even know you.”

 

The seductive lady was pushed away and was left alone without further words from Lalisa as she has done fixing herself and shut closed the door behind her then walked away from the room casually. Along her way to the elevator, this woman named Lalisa is giving off an emotionless expression with her eyes straight on her way and ignores the morning greetings from the hotel staffs she passed by and some disgusted glares from the guests walking around.

 

“Look at that woman in blonde hair. She looks so cool. Is she an artist or something?” One of the guests walking around the area was heard chattering with her friend.

 

And the other one was also heard responding, “Well maybe? She looks unapproachable though. Let’s just ignore her.”

 

Lalisa heard all sorts of gossips about her from some people she passed by but yet again, all were left overlooked as she moved on calmly to the receptionist to properly check out and pay for any balances. Taking out gold cards and wads of money from this hotel’s guests is nothing new and not surprising anymore for the staffs. But definitely, her foreign name is eye-catching and cannot be left unseen and intriguing to these hotel staffs.

 

“Manoban?” The receptionist accidentally gasped loud while checking on her card.

 

“So?” The impatient lady raised an eyebrow.

 

The receptionist attending her quickly recomposed herself and skillfully said, “I’m so sorry Miss Lalisa Manoban. I’ll be checking on your card now. Please wait for a while.”

 

Lalisa stands there aggravated while tapping her foot and with her arms crossed, glaring at the calm woman across her. The severe headache is still ther

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter