“Stigma” [noun]: a mark of disgrace associated with a particular circumstance.

A Detailed Explorer’s Guide into the Unknown

 

 

 

“Stigma” [noun]: a mark of disgrace associated with a particular circumstance.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Honestly, Sk’jin is too old for this.

He was not made to dangle off of the ledge of a sewage system, with a massive network of pipes, wires, and cables running all around them, sparkling with electricity inside this dark pit inside a gigantic mining-asteroid, but here he was.

‘Is this divine punishment because I took your lip-ity away-‘

‘This is not helping!’ Namjoon retorts angrily, dangling next to him with one good arm.

It’s odd seeing his other arm shredded apart. It makes that same guilt Sk’jin has been trying to ignore for the past hour threaten to spew out of his stomach.

‘I’m sorry.’

‘For ’s sake Sk’jin that wasn’t my first kiss-‘

‘Not that,’ Sk’jin sighs, looking about as though they weren’t clinging on to their lives over what Sk’jin suspects is a vast vat of sewage far below them. At least he couldn’t smell it. ‘Well that too- but my point being-‘

‘No- don’t apologize,’ Namjoon sighs out, mangled hand twitching, slowing dripping some sort of bionic fluid Sk’jin is pretty sure shouldn’t be leaking out. ‘I know we’ve had talks before and I know we all keep our own secrets- but right now I just- I just want us to get back.’

‘We could be identified at any point now with the local security after us- Hoseok and Taeh’yung are too far away; and Jungkook, Yoongi, and Jimin are just-…ugh, they’ll be fine waiting for us, sickeningly gross couple, , I did not sign up to witness that.’

‘Oh- you noticed?’

‘What’s not to notice?!’ Sk’jin spits out, adjusting his feet on the small ledge along the all too smooth glassy walls. ‘Makes me want to throw-up.’

Namjoon unexpectedly laughs, his head turned away. Sk’jin wonders if all that chlorine was getting to the Kutsoglerin’s head.

‘Is it really the time to laugh?’ Sk’jin huffs out. ‘You should use that brain of yours and think of a way to get us out.’

Namjoon wheezes again before he chortles, ‘Out of all the things you choose to complain about now it’s about the nature of Yoongi’s and Jimin’s relationship?’

Namjoon’s entire form is shaking, quivering as he laughs into his the side of his arm.

‘I’m disguising my worry over the effect of such a relationship with contemptuous disdain, keep up Namjoon,’ Sk’jin huffs out, arms strained and thighs burning. ‘You think they’ll want that glass ?’

‘WHY DO YOU STILL HAVE THAT WITH YOU?!’

‘I COULDN’T GET RID OF IT- IT FIT REALLY WELL IN MY HANDS YOU KNOW?’

‘FOR ’S SAKE-‘

It’s hardly the time to be screaming considering their precarious location. Sk’jin spies the lifts dropping over to the other side of the cavern, the huge pipes around them trembling with the force of their contents. Sk’jin doesn’t want to think about it.

‘You’re worried that it might influence their decisions?’ Namjoon asks after a while, having calmed down a little.

‘You’re talking as though Yoongi was never influenced by Jimin from the moment we opened that ing OrTank- everything he does is for Jimin, centers around Jimin.’ Sk’jin snorts.

Namjoon sighs quietly at that, as though resigned to the truth of it.

‘What do you make of it?’ Namjoon asks.’

‘Uh- Yoongi is disgustingly in love? I don’t know? I have no expertise over this matter,’ Sk’jin sniffs in disdain.

‘No I mean- based on what Jimin told us, and then on what Yoongi had to say- and what we can add together…is this Yoongi, our Yoongi, anything like the “original” Yoongi?’ Namjoon asks slowly. ‘And how much of the “original” Yoongi still remains in our Yoongi?’

‘To be honest I don’t know,’ Sk’jin sighs, ‘But what I do know is that this is not the time or place to discuss this, despite the fact that I love an oral exchange with you Namjoon.’

‘You have to make everything weird,’ Namjoon grumbles.

‘It’s my specialty,’ Sk’jin grins before adding, ‘So? What do we do? Hanging here forever is something I’d like to avoid so come on, tell me how we’re getting the out of here because I highly doubt anyone comes down this far to check on stragglers and potential wanted-Beings.’

Sk’jin can’t really see all of Namjoon’s face but he’s sure the Kutsoglerin is rolling his eyes.

‘See that chipped panel up there? I’m 90% sure the rings we’ve seen around here are the maintenance lift-rungs. If we can access its wiring we can get it to come here- as both your arms are working- could you reach around me and access it? I’ll guide you through the process.’ Namjoon nods at the flat but large open panel with a multitude of switches on it. They’re lucky they both had no issue seeing in dim lighting.

‘I’ll need to climb around you- you sure?’ Sk’jin asks, eyeing their very precarious location with doubt. ‘I’m not very light.’

‘Well, neither am I,’ Namjoon huffs out, ‘Just hurry- let’s do this fast-‘

‘- okay-‘

‘-Sk’jin please,’ Namjoon groans.

‘Hey you were ready to speak in length about Yoongi and Jimin’s vague- relationship in context to Yoongi’s identity and what that could mean for our mission- let me have this,’ Sk’jin grits out as he slowly edges closer.

‘Fair point,’ Namjoon grumbles.

‘So- are you stable in that position or would you rather be on top?’

‘Why does that sound suggestive,’ Namjoon deadpans, unimpressed.

‘And you say I make everything sound weird,’ Sk’jin huffs, now just a foot away from the Kutsoglerin.

Namjoon sighs before saying, ‘Go from the back-‘

‘Wow- I never pegged you to-‘

‘Sk’jin!’

Snorting, Sk’jin makes sure to balance himself properly before he reaches over and around Namjoon, who has pushed himself flat against the glossy walls to give Sk’jin space. Unable to help himself Sk’jin kisses Namjoon’s left ear with a loud mwah! sound while Namjoon sighs heavily again.

‘Don’t worry Namjoonie- you’ll find someone who will want to kiss you for no reason,’ Sk’jin pats him as he fully makes his way to the side.

‘Yeah yeah,’ Namjoon grimaces before adding, ‘You think it’s like that with Yoongi and Jimin?’

‘What’s with the obsession with Yoongi and Jimin?’ Sk’jin grunts out, reaching a tricky part of the cliff-face. ‘Living vicariously off of them?’

‘Spaces, Sk’jin-‘

Chuckling Sk’jin looks over his shoulder but is surprised to find Namjoon looking genuinely worried.

‘You’re worried.’

‘I am,’ Namjoon admits. ‘Considering how things are going- and how we cannot predict anything, cannot see the reasoning behind any of this-‘

‘No- you’re worried about them- genuinely, about them as individuals.’

Namjoon looks stricken, as though he hadn’t just realized it.

‘I guess yeah,’ Namjoon sighs. ‘Especially Yoongi because of how-‘

The entire cavern suddenly howls.

And it sounds too familiar-

‘Uh-‘

‘Sk’jin hurry now-!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

18 hours ago

 

 

 

 

 

This will hurt

It’s all right- pain isn’t unknown to me

I didn’t mean physical pain

I know what you meant

Unsurprisingly, Sk’jin has nightmares.

Not the type you see when you sleep, because sleep is quite literally a dream for the Khol’isa.

But nightmares, the type you see with your waking eyes- or maybe a bit like how most normal Beings would daydream.

It’s unsurprising but still annoying. Just because you weren’t surprised by a nightmare doesn’t mean it still doesn’t completely dislodge and unhinge you.

Blinking hard to get rid of the reddish hue overtaking his vision, Sk’jin looks down, where Jungkook’s head was pillowing his lap as he slept.

Being clean on a regular basis and being medically treated for a week really effected the young Vicitra. His skin looked less grey, the natural reddish tint of his skin no longer appeared like bruises but appeared deeper and richer in colour. His hair, which Sk’jin and Jimin trimmed and thoroughly cleaned was bouncy and shiny.

Jungkook had obviously been taken care of. He had been raised, and he had been taught.

He could read some Standard, he had table-manners (though slightly messy and very very defensive), really loved showers, and had nearly perfect speech. He was also intelligent, and a lot more perceptive than anyone would have guessed.

His behavior towards the Beings on board clearly showed this.

With Namjoon, Jungkook was respectful, watching with wide eyes, listening with care, and always somehow more alert in the presence of the Kutsoglerin.

With Hoseok, Jungkook was much more comfortable, and liked to sit next to him as Hoseok explained impossibly difficult tactics and instructions on piloting, nodding as though he understood. When Jungkook had an issue with the Comm-Device, he went straight to Hoseok, fidgeting a little as he asked the Ngfy’widan to help him.

With Taeh’yung Jungkook was wary but he made no move to defend himself or react back to the Zhak’gri. He was, bluntly put, afraid yes, but there was an undoubted awe with the way he looked at him.

With Jimin he was protective, moving to shadow his movements and placing himself in a way where he could bodily protect the shorter Being. Which was pointless considering how Jimin was perfectly safe inside the ship. But hilarious because Jungkook did this every time Yoongi was in the vicinity.

It was almost as though Jungkook just knew without being told, that Jimin was Yoongi’s highest priority, and Yoongi was Jimin’s highest priority.

Clearly Jungkook had developed a sort of attachment to Jimin- the latter had not only treated him with kindness inside that cell, but had also set him free from the cruel he had found himself in. As a result, Jungkook seems to have taken it upon himself to protect Jimin- and to also be somehow incredibly jealous if he wasn’t the subject of Jimin’s attention.

Just the other day Jungkook had come across Jimin and Yoongi in the Hangar Bay, where the Human had been readjusting their arsenal, and Jimin had been assisting, keeping record. It was a fairly boring but time-consuming task, but the two had been peacefully enjoying that time together, with Jimin humming under his breath. Yoongi must have told him something funny (an idea that is funny in itself), because Jimin had laughed so hard he fell off the bench he had been sitting on.

Jungkook had more or less leapt the distance of the Hangar Bay and crouched over Jimin, snarling at Yoongi.

Yoongi hadn’t moved to defend himself or even attack- he just stared at Jungkook for a while before saying, ‘If you want to defend someone, your priority should be their escape as you distract.’

Then he proceeds to explain to Jungkook the best way to defend and protect someone, pulling up instruction manuals and video examples from a screen. Jungkook looked so lost as Yoongi explained and demonstrated the correct way of executing a defensive stance, he kept looking up at Sk’jin as though for help.

It was also clear from that moment that Jungkook was an incredibly fast learner; he picked up on everything Yoongi was demonstrating to him, his stance already improving. Hoseok even joined in after clearing a space in the Bay to demonstrate offensive stances and how to switch between them. Hoseok explains the importance of core strength, and how to maintain balance. Taeh’yung joins them too, trying to follow the instructions. Somehow Hoseok finds himself training Jungkook, Taeh’yung, and Jimin (though the latter seemed very well trained, and was just indulging the other two) in hand-to-hand combat.

Jungkook, now gaining strength, and realizing that he was indeed safe, was slowly shedding inhibitions as well. He smiled back now, albeit a bit slowly, and ducked his head in embarrassment rather than in fear, when spoken to kindly.

But out of all of this, what disturbed and strangely hurt Sk’jin the most was how Jungkook was around him.

You’ll have to be careful

I will

This is the only chance you’ll have unless you’re very lucky

Trust me, I’m anything but. I’ll be careful

Jungkook just followed Sk’jin everywhere he went. And without question, or permission, decided to take residence in Sk’jin’s room.

It happened from the very first night out of the Medical Bay. Jungkook had dozed off on the couch, and Sk’jin was wondering if Cabin 07 would be a good place to situate the young Vicitra when he woke up in a shocked daze, nearly hyperventilating before catching sight of Sk’jin and curling up around him. Then he fell back asleep.

‘Jungkook,’ Sk’jin had called gently. ‘Let’s get you into a bed okay?’

He managed to get the Vicitra to the Cabin.

It was like putting Ilya to sleep and Sk’jin tries not to think about it.

It wasn’t even an hour later when Jungkook burst out of his Cabin, clearly semi-awake and moving only on instinct. Hoseok had been there, warily watching his movement. But Jungkook seemed to be following something- he seemed to be sniffling and then as though he knew exactly where he was headed, went straight into his Cabin, and crept inside.

Hoseok had given him a wide-eyed look from the Kitchen.

Then they both quietly walked up to the door, looking into Sk’jin’s room.

Jungkook was curled up on Sk’jin’s bed, head on Sk’jin’s piled up blankets. And ever since then, he refused to sleep elsewhere.

And just like Sk’jin- Jungkook is plagued with nightmares when he sleeps. So more often than not in the past few days, Sk’jin finds himself where he is now, with Jungkook’s head on his lap, waking him and gently brushing through his hair every time he woke frightened from his nightmares.

At least his bed was being put to use. Sk’jin rarely spent time on his bed save to sit and peruse his screen. He normally preferred sitting at the desk near the window, or just sitting out at the Kitchen area.

Jungkook also liked to receive permission from Sk’jin.

Whatever childhood he had, and if his mother had truly been a Khol’isa, then Jungkook seemed to naturally assign that role or guardianship over to Sk’jin just by face-value.

All Khol’isa were very distinctly similar- the same elegant features, the same sharp but large eyes, the same pale rosy skin, the same horns; and even though Sk’jin had lost his, Jungkook knew instantly and knew that something was wrong. It raises so many questions in Sk’jin’s mind. He guesses he understands how Namjoon must have felt, upon realizing that there were eggs out there, carrying the Kutsoglerin species in them, growing and birthing them. They were perfected, idealized, and grown to be perfect representation and replacements for those that already existed.

And Sk’jin hates him own species- hates them with every fiber of his being but the idea of an pure Khol’isa, of a Khol’isa untinted by the Bloodmoon, the idea of a Khol’isa whose very breath was not a continuous curse at their existence; it scared him.

It’s been nearly 7 hours now that Jungkook fell asleep, but Sk’jin hasn’t moved an inch, just staring out of the window at the never-ending, unchanging white expanse of warp-space. Jungkook didn’t move much in his sleep, just remaining curled up, occasionally twitching, and when he saw nightmares, tensing up almost painfully. But for the first time in the past near week, Jungkook is sleeping without any nightmares. Sk’jin wonders if it had anything to do with the light kiss Jimin had placed on the sleepy Vicitra’s forehead. If Jimin was able to make Beings speak only the truth, and Spaces knew what else, then making nightmares go away shouldn’t be too difficult, Sk’jin guesses.

Jinnie, is Kookie awake?’ Taeh’yung’s voice asks quietly at his ear.

‘Not yet- I’m going to wake him now.’

Can I come?’

‘Yeah sure-‘

Taeh’yung appears from the wall in a bright display of green that vanishes just as quickly as it appeared.

‘Tae, please- we talked about this,’ Sk’jin whispers at the Zhak’gri who coos quietly at the sight of Jungkook asleep, as if he hadn’t spent hours just staring at his sleeping form until Namjoon told him to stop because it was freaking the Kutsoglerin out.

Taeh’yung kneels by the bed, reaching out to gently Jungkook’s hair.

‘There was another, wasn’t there?’ Taeh’yung asks suddenly.

‘-what?’

‘Like Kookie- another egg-hatched. They were there with you,’ Taeh’yung says quietly, looking up at Sk’jin.

The air slowly dims, reddening under the Bloodmoon that threatens to break horizon.

‘How do you know this?’

‘I sensed them- just one right? It was faint, and all over, mixed with the rain.’

Sk’jin feels nauseous.

‘They did something to that planet,’ Taeh’yung says quietly, giving Sk’jin an understanding look. It’s odd- but Sk’jin feels as though Taeh’yung knew exactly what happened in Ynqaba.

‘Do- could you feel it?’

Taeh’yung nods.

‘It wasn’t them- if it was, Ynqaba wouldn’t exist,’ Taeh’yung says quietly, brushing through Jungkook’s hair.

‘It was the Yishengs,’ Sk’jin nods.

Taeh’yung hums as though he’s not surprised, just disappointed.

‘They did things they weren’t supposed to,’ Taeh’yung says, sounding unlike himself. When he looks up at Sk’jin, he suddenly looks different. ‘They were made to guide, but now all they do is destroy.’

Taeh’yung looks away, looking like himself.

It unsettles Sk’jin.

Ever since he met the Zhak’gri- ever since their eyes met, Sk’jin cannot shake the unsettling feeling the Zhak’gri gave him.

Sk’jin wasn’t afraid of things or Beings- he was rarely scared.

But Taeh’yung sometimes terrified him.

‘Why didn’t you tell Namjoon?’ Sk’jin asks carefully.

‘Why haven’t you?’ Taeh’yung asks back.

Because…’ Sk’jin breathes out slowly, feeling at his temples where pressure was building. ‘Because if I did Namjoon and Hoseok, and then Yoongi and Jimin, would feel responsible.’

‘It was not their design.’

‘No, but their actions, our actions, my actions, made the design possible.’ Sk’jin sighs out quietly. ‘They already have their demons, their nightmares. They carry enough of the dead with them, they don’t need more. They’re young, unlike us.’

‘Life is continuum.’ Taeh’yung says, looking down.

Sk’jin doesn’t comment.

‘Do you see your nightmares again?’ Taeh’yung asks.

Sk’jin nods mutely.

‘Should I remove them?’

‘No-‘ Sk’jin replies quickly. ‘No- it’s…it’s all I have.’

Taeh’yung looks up at him again, eyes wide and filled with sorrow and pain.

‘I didn’t want to scare you,’ Taeh’yung whispers, eyes glistening a little. ‘But I meant it. You can’t do that again. I can’t help you anymore.’

You won’t be complete, you know that right? Is that still okay?

Sk’jin nods, ignoring the way the Bloodmoon edges into his sight above his direct line of sight.

‘I know.’

It’s okay- it’s not like I was ever complete to start off with.

 

 

*

 

 

Sk’jin climbs up the last step and enters the Bridge quietly. He knows Namjoon is supposed to be in here, which is why he’s surprised to find Yoongi in there as well. And that too clearly in some form of discussion with the Kutsoglerin. At his approach, Yoongi steps away from the Table, away from a stunned looking Namjoon who is holding a small screen in his hands.

‘You’re sure?’ the Kutsoglerin asks in a rather surprisingly gentle tone.

The Human nods in reply.

‘There isn’t a lot I remember- most of what I do, is related to Jimin; but without a doubt, Yoongi was involved in something deeper in Megibīya,’ Yoongi says to the Kutsoglerin. ‘I would like for all of us to investigate, so that we may better understand what happened there.’

‘Thank you,’ Namjoon smiles, ‘I’ll call everyone up now.’

‘Jimin is still sleeping,’ Yoongi states.

‘I guess…wake him up?’ Namjoon replies slowly.

‘I think he’s caught up in his sleep cycle so he should be fine,’ Sk’jin says, carefully patting the Human on the shoulder. He’s still a little on edge with Yoongi, considering the fact that Sk’jin is 98% sure Yoongi will punch him given the chance.

‘I was with him. He was tired, and we slept together.’ Yoongi states bluntly. ‘We’ve been sleeping together in the same Cabin.’

Namjoon’s mouth involuntarily hangs open for a second before he closes his mouth shut with a click. Sk’jin on the other hand wants to cackle- at both Yoongi’s bluntness and Namjoon’s inability to handle this information.

‘Uh-‘

‘Did you take care of Jimin?’ Sk’jin asks, ignoring the way Namjoon’s head snaps towards him, expression horrified.

Yoongi blinks at him for a moment before saying, ‘We tend to each other when needed, yes.’

‘Okay there’s no need for-‘

‘That’s good! You should always keep a healthy balance and dynamics in this!’ Sk’jin nods, ‘Did you have all the supplies you needed?’

‘The care-packages are well stocked.’

‘That they are!’ Sk’jin nods in agreement. ‘Were they to your liking?’

‘They performed their function,’ Yoongi replies. ‘I saw nothing lacking.’

‘And were you both satisfied?’

‘Yes.’

‘Great!’

Namjoon has his face in his hands, almost pained by this conversation. Sk’jin can’t help the smile on his face, his cheeks are actually hurting from all of this.

‘Is there something wrong,’ Yoongi asks, clearly picking up on the strange reactions around him.

‘Not at all! We’re just very happy that you’re happy.’

Yoongi stares at them for a long while, clearly something very complex going through his mind.

‘Are you talking about ual .’

‘Oh Spaces-‘

‘Yes Yoongi- I hope you’re both being safe,’ Sk’jin smiles, ‘If you need any advice I’m sure-‘

‘-sure we don’t need to know and Yoongi can find all the information he needs through database,’ Namjoon hurriedly cuts across, ‘It’s none of our business what they do- what anyone does in their free-time, with each other.’

Yoongi stares at them again before saying, ‘I am aware of what it is. I have memories of it.’

‘Oh Spaces-‘

‘Good! So you’re not utterly clueless!’ Sk’jin knows he shouldn’t be so invasive but Namjoon’s reactions are giving him life.

‘We did not engage in ual .’ Yoongi states bluntly. ‘Neither of us can reproduce, it seems pointless.’

‘Well there is a lot of pointing of sorts-‘

‘Sk’jin! Please call the others for a meeting in 15 minutes!’ Namjoon orders tersely. ‘Yoongi, I would like you to tell the others what you told me- about Human Yoongi and his memories,’ Namjoon clarifies. ‘I have something important I want to discuss as well- and Hoseok is going to tell us about our trajectory in detail. So if both of you could prepare-‘

‘That’s something you also need to do before Yoongi-‘

‘Sk’jin!’ Namjoon wheezes out. If he could lose all colour from his face, he would have.

‘I will present the history of my memories as you wish,’ Yoongi states, stepping away towards his station.

Namjoon is quick to glare at Sk’jin.

‘We’re trying to maintain a professional setting here-‘

‘Namjoon sweetie, the moment we all left Tayi, the whole aspect of professionalism went out of the metaphoric window and was into a black-hole,’ Sk’jin snorts but relents because Namjoon really looks like he’s going to suffer some bionic-. ‘But I am curious to know and I am not being condescending or whatever but considering your body was reconstructed and built do you have like a metallic dic-‘

‘Lisai please call everyone up to the Bridge now!’

 

*

 

Hoseok gives him curious looks, clearly wondering why Sk’jin was still chuckling under his breath. But Namjoon’s facial expression is bright in his memory and it’s hilarious. Recently things have had little reason to be hilarious, so Sk’jin cherishes other Being’s moments of absolute discomfort for his own benefit.

Jungkook is also wondering why he’s grinning, but he’s smiling too, as though it gave him reason to smile. As a result, Taeh’yung ruffles his hair and squishes his cheeks, causing the Vicitra to lean all the way back in his seat, away from grabby hands. Jimin is watching them, hands twitching as though trying to intervene. Yoongi has made his way towards the center and now stands behind Jimin, expression blank as he watches Taeh’yung now try to kiss Jungkook.

‘Okay- so now that we’re all here,’ Namjoon calls them all to attention, blue light from the Navigation Table lighting his face up in a rather unflattering way, pronouncing the missing bionic flesh around his jaw and back of his head. ‘We have a few important things we need to discuss, but we’ll start first with Yoongi. As requested, I was able to find records of Yoongi when he was…-well, when he was wholly Human I guess. It was difficult, because as I suspected the moment we found Yoongi wasn’t a random genetic code hatched and grown, but based off of an actual living Being from the past, his records would have been erased. What I was able to find was vague and didn’t offer much information in regards to what he did, who he worked for, or where he was travelling to.’

‘But I remember things,’ Yoongi speaks up. ‘And based on what I read, saw, and heard from these records, I have been able to piece together information that in itself may not seem important, but considering what we are doing, what we know from Jimin, may help us understand more.’

Everyone leans in closer, Jungkook included, now no longer fighting Taeh’yung’s hold.

‘According to what Jimin and I discussed, by combining our memories, facts, and information, we have come to conclude that Yoongi, and the team he was with, were under the orders and guidance of now no longer existing branch of the GLA that concentrated on experimental technology and development. Yoongi stated that he was a specialist in development technology.’ Yoongi reels off as though he’s reading a statement. ‘Based on these memories, I have also understood that Yoongi and his team were sent to Bhumi to investigate, under guise of being part of the Raksane Tayi Scientific Panel. It was the lie Yoongi told his mother and sister. His friend, Amic, mentioned “corps”- and how they were part of it. I did research, but was unable to find any form of organization or GLA branch with “corps” in it. Yoongi and his team were also sent their with permission- they were sent there for a reason, which they were late to realize was a lie. His team captain seemed to understand the situation better, and she and Yoongi discussed it as well. She told him that this wasn’t the first time the GLA had been there. That attempts at negotiations were being made, and that it was being concluded.’

Yoongi taps at the Table, and a picture of himself appears, with information on the side about his past Human self. Original self? Past self?

He looks younger in the holographic projection, his hair lighter, his eyes a lighter shade. Their expressions are the same though- still stoic, with the somewhat involuntary unimpressed expression in the way their mouths were set.

‘From what I remember, and from what Jimin has told me about what he saw, Yoongi and his team lost control of their ship and crashed into Bhumi- or Megibīya. They were attempting to find a tower, set in a location around the habitable ring, high up a mountain. It was through this tower that they hoped to transmit a signal to send for help. I believe there might have been another ship that was waiting for Yoongi and his team outside of Megibīya,’ Yoongi explains. ‘However, Yoongi seems to realize that this was not going to help.’

‘The tower wasn’t there?’

‘It was.’ Yoongi replies, and Sk’jin notices how Jimin seems to tense, his eyes unblinking. ‘It was there, but it was long abandoned. No sign of existing technology, no indication of it having ever been occupied.’

‘False information? What happened after that?’ Hoseok asks.

‘False, or old, I don’t know,’ Yoongi replies. ‘Yoongi died there. Taken by the Akramanese, or as Jimin calls them, the Red Evil.’

Jimin’s eyes are shining with unshed tears, clearly reliving the memory.

‘It does sound vague, but I think that’s a good lead,’ Namjoon says as soon as he realizes that Yoongi is done. ‘Yoongi was involved in this much more than we initially thought- and if we are able to find out more information regarding this, then we will be able to understand what happened in Jimin’s System, what to expect from there, and why the Special Jury really want us there.’

Namjoon pauses a moment before he says, ‘I know we all agreed, for our safety and secrecy, to keep everything contained within our resources and within the ship- but in this occasion, I wish to propose an idea.’

Hoseok leans in a little, his expression serious.

‘We’re going to need information- not the type I can access through a Hub by diving deep into the GLA database. We’re going to need information by directly accessing the physical mainframe, do a deep-dive into the core which I won’t be able to access even if I were to access a GLA drive through a Dock,’ Namjoon states.

‘How do you propose we do this then?’ Hoseok asks warily.

‘I call in a favour,’ Namjoon replies simply. ‘She’s an Information Analyst that works directly for the Venture Unit. She’s from Klia’ban.’

Hoseok’s expression changes from wary to impressed.

‘What’s in Klia’ban?’ Sk’jin asks, unsure of this location.

‘It’s a planet not far from Tayi- the Beings there were born as a result of an illegal genetic experiment gone wrong,’ Namjoon explains. ‘They tried to remove a genome from their DNA that weakened their natural exoskeleton, killing them as a result- instead they ended up entirely losing their shells, and became a rather…soft but healthy version of their species. The original Klia’ban refused to keep the mutations in their planet. So the GLA took in all 500 of the failed experiments, finding them to be incredibly intelligent and systematic in their thought process and trained them to be Information Analysts for the Venture Unit.’

‘How did you even gain access to the Klia’ban? They’re elite,’ Hoseok looks impressed, ‘That too, she owes you a favour?’

Namjoon huffs out as though offended, ‘She’s actually the reason why I got into the Gaia Case- I don’t think she wanted to be indicted, so she sent along some things she knew I would look into.’

‘…so it’s her fault you’re in this?’ Hoseok grins, amused. ‘She tricked you.’

‘Anyways- I can call in a favour from her- regarding this issue, as well as the one in Ynqaba.’

‘What do you mean?’ Sk’jin demands, his shoulders tensing and his hands suddenly shaking. He quickly lowers his hands to his sides.

‘The Yisheng ship there, the obvious presence of eggs there- it’s not just Ynqaba- it’s the entire System, we need to find out more information,’ Namjoon explains, eyeing him carefully. Sk’jin curses inwardly, the pressure around his temples building.

‘I see- that’s good,’ he manages to get out, fighting the urge to touch him temples.

‘I also want her to see what she can find out about the Omhlophe,’ Namjoon adds after looking away from Sk’jin slowly, as though debating Sk’jin’s reaction.

‘That’s a lot to ask,’ Hoseok observes.

‘Is she safe?’ Jimin asks quietly.

‘I don’t know,’ Namjoon replies. ‘But that’s where I want to bring in all of you.’

Jimin leans in closer as well.

‘I just want everyone to know about this so that we can all collectively decide on what to do. And we only go forward with this, if everyone agrees- not a majority, but everyone,’ Namjoon states clearly. ‘This is a risk- but if it pays off, we could gain a lot of useful information. And I won’t go ahead unless every single one of you gives their approval.’

‘We’ll need to think about it,’ Sk’jin says, proud that he sounded normal. ‘When do you plan to contact her?’

‘To answer that question, Hoseok and I created a trajectory through Grisial’s mining space,’ Namjoon explains. ‘As I mentioned before, Grisial is a mining zone, with Pits located everywhere. My plan is to make contact when we’re in Pit 3-‘

Namjoon pulls up a new projection, with Grisial in the center.

Even the holographic projection is beautiful.

Grisial was a massive inhabitable planet rich in expensive minerals, metals, and resources unique to the planet. But Grisial was most famed for her crystals- smooth but multi-faceted inside, light reflecting and refracting in mesmerizing ways. Many considered it holy, and were celebrated jewels of great value because it was difficult to mine.

The whole area around the planet is surrounded by a thick asteroid belt, and each asteroid was a mining haven. Sk’jin had owned jewelry made of Grisial crystals that he had stored safely. They had been a bribe, he remembers with a sour smile.

Jungkook makes a loud sound of awe and amazement at the display, reaching forward to touch but stopping midway as though electrocuted. Sk’jin ruffles his hair to placate the young Vicitra.

‘-we collect our items we need in Pit 3, and then travel at a “slow” speed all the way to the edge to Pit 18, giving us time to receive any call or message or information. Being close to Grisial puts us at an advantage because of the planet’s natural resonance that can further protect us from manual or close-hand attempts of infiltration. It also puts us at a Navigational advantage because from this point, depending on any form of potential risk we may have of being spotted or followed, we can lose them through the heavy trade traffic routes and access another route midway. Our chances of escape are calculated at a good percentage, especially considering how we cannot be tracked.’

It’s a sound plan.

It’s sound reasoning.

And really, there isn’t much Sk’jin can say against it.

It’s vital they receive all the information they can possibly get their hands on.

His screen hums, vibrating against the side of his chest, indicating a call. Sk’jin ignores it, tapping at the side of his Comm-Device to cancel the incoming call. He crosses his arms over his chest, subtly pushing away the screen deeper into his pocket and to the side. He catches Hoseok glancing at him, having clearly heard him.

The Bloodmoon edges in, just over the windows above, the holographic map slowly turning purple as red light seeps in from the warp above. It presses around his head.

‘What do you say?’ Namjoon asks, looking up at all of them.

‘It’s okay with me!’ Taeh’yung holds up his hands in thumb’s up.

‘Good with me too,’ Hoseok nods.

‘Good,’ Jimin adds while Yoongi echoes the same.

Everyone looks at him, expressions ranging from curious to hopeful.

‘Yeah, let’s do that,’ Sk’jin nods, trying not to think too much about the stuffy feeling in his lungs. ‘Even if your contact outs us, we can still escape. How do you plan on sending her the address for information?’

‘I don’t- I’m giving her a deadline with the information, and I’ll contact her again,’ Namjoon explains. ‘It’s not unusual between Analysts.’

Sk’jin nods to that.

‘So, everyone’s good with this?’ Namjoon asks, looking around the Table.

‘Kookie hasn’t said anything,’ Taeh’yung announces.

Jungkook’s eyes widen, shrinking in on himself, mouth opening and closing.

‘I-yes- all good,’ he says hurriedly, looking at Namjoon for a brief second before looking away again. Everyone looks around, uncomfortable but also amused, unsure how to react.

‘Right, I’m going to explain our trajectory,’ Hoseok cuts in, tapping at the map so that a path of orange lit up in the blue of the holograph.

‘We’ll exit warp above the belt here- right above Pit 3,’ Hoseok taps at the large floating mass in the belt around Grisial. ‘This is one of the more heavily populated zones and also busiest. From here we will follow route 7 to Pits 11, 13, and then route 10 to Pit 15, and then change to route 21 and finally arrive at Pit 18. These are specialized routes, almost like the polarized motorways in Šerdesas. They cut through a few asteroids, and through smaller Pits as well. We can visually blend in with the tourists or gem-merchants- if further pressed we can say we’re looking for asteroids to invest in. We’ll be changing our identity to Class III Trading Permit.’

‘Where are we headed after this?’ Sk’jin asks.

‘We’re headed to the Republic System of the Koitz Pulsar,’ Hoseok replies, ‘If everything goes according to plan, that is.’

‘That’s new,’ Sk’jin remarks as Hoseok minimizes the map.

‘Well, the Republic part is new; it’s an unstable zone- despite being a part of the GLA, a majority of its planets are fighting against joining the GLA- it’s extremely political,’ Hoseok explains. ‘A majority of the planets want to be independent planetary-states, but they need the GLA support. So yeah, lots of issues.’

‘Pirates?’

‘No- well, yes probably, but not like Ymir,’ Hoseok says while rolling his eyes.

‘Okay, so now that we’ve settled on that, I wanted to take this time to also ask Jungkook some questions,’ Namjoon says in a gentle tone.

The Vicitra flinches, leaning closer to Sk’jin on instinct.

Namjoon has not given Jungkook any reason to fear him, but clearly Namjoon’s title and “status” on the ship triggers something in Jungkook’s past, making him almost cower before the Kutsoglerin. Sk’jin can see how uncomfortable Namjoon is because of this but he tries to push past it.

‘Could you tell us about your past? As far as you remember,’ Namjoon asks, making his voice as soothing as he could. ‘We want to understand your past, and help you.’

Jungkook looks incredibly nervous, eyeing them all, shrinking in himself.

Looking up, Sk’jin notices Hoseok eyeing him, as though signaling him to talk to Jungkook.

Sk’jin feels sick. Because he already knows this story.

He already knows, in detail, he can imagine it- he can see it. He can taste the pain in the back of his throat. It’s dark, and it’s dry, it’s angry and it’s bitter and it hurts- his scream is still lodged in his throat and every time Jungkook looks at him, eyes wide and curious, Sk’jin can see her-

‘Can you tell me about your mothers?’ Jimin asks carefully instead. ‘Your brothers, sisters?’

Suddenly, Taeh’yung sits up and lets go of Jungkook, sprinting out of the Bridge. Jungkook misbalances and clings to Sk’jin. Without thinking, Sk’jin reaches forward, holding Jungkook in a wild, almost desperate rush dark mountains, ashy soil, the coming of a terrible storm and she’s holding the device up- a familiar device-

A touch on his shoulder shakes Sk’jin out of his nightmare, finding Yoongi behind him, stained red from the full force of the Bloodmoon above them. The Human had been the one to shake him out of his nightmare, and to his horror, Sk’jin finds that Jungkook is sitting away from him, hiding behind Jimin.

‘I- I out- sorry,’ Sk’jin says at once, closing his eyes and rubbing at them quickly, his head throbbing. ‘I think it’s- I think we need to look for a UV-Bed when we get to Grisial.’

When he looks up from his palms, the red is no longer glaring and staining everything. Namjoon nods slowly, eyeing him carefully.

‘You sure there’s nothing we can do?’ Hoseok asks gently as Jungkook reappears from behind Jimin.

‘Yeah- yeah, I’m fine- I just- that happens sometimes. It’s just a Khol’isa thing.’ Sk’jin tries to smile, ignoring how the reddish light bleeds into his vision bit by bit.

‘Kookie look!’

Sk’jin is grateful for Taeh’yung’s ability to shock. Because Hoseok chokes mid-inhale and Namjoon’s expression turns incredulous. Taeh’yung is holding up one of the mechanical arms Sk’jin saw frequently attached to the Ynqaban cybortronics. When and how he got it, Sk’jin doesn’t know but Namjoon is face-palming while Hoseok mumbles, ‘I forgot about that, ’.

Jungkook on the other hand visibly brightens up at the sight of the clawed-arm.

‘This is what anu used to use- she had a large moving machine, with arms like this,’ Jungkook grins as he holds his hands out eagerly before he pulls his hands back, looking at Taeh’yung in a slightly terrified manner.

‘You can have it,’ Taeh’yung quickly tells him, pushing the claw towards the Vicitra. It takes a few seconds but Jungkook finally moves, taking the device from the Zhak’gri who is delighted at this exchange as he asks in a low voice, ‘Do you love me now Kookie?’ which is unheard by the Vicitra.

‘Your…other mother was from Ynqaba?’ Namjoon asks carefully as he approaches the young Vicitra.

‘She was a Kaban,’ Jungkook says quietly. ‘She found us all- I was the last one.’

‘The baby,’ Taeh’yung grins, nearly vibrating where he stood as though trying to stop himself from reaching over and squishing Jungkook’s cheeks. To Sk’jin’s surprise, Jungkook nods to that.

‘Anu, ama, Talgun, Skezag, Elsang, Okanaat, Ilhaan, and Jungkook,’ Jungkook recalls, his fingers twitching as though counting them automatically. Had he repeated the names in the dark, hoping against all hope to hear their voices, to see their faces?

Did he slowly die in the dark, with only hollow echoes of their last memories together moving around him?

‘Where did you live?’ Namjoon asks, ‘In a big community? Alone?’

‘We lived in…in a cave,’ Jungkook says slowly. ‘A large cave, clean and filled with many toys and trinkets- lots of sleeping places.’

Sk’jin can see it. He can see exactly what this would have looked like.

‘What is your first memory? Can you remember?’ Namjoon asks again.

Jungkook pauses a while, fingers feeling the strong corroded metal of the claw.

‘I- I don’t know- I just…I was always there,’ Jungkook says quietly.

Namjoon nods at that before he glances at Yoongi.

‘I know…I know what you’re asking.’ Jungkook says suddenly. ‘You want to know if I’m one of them- from the Sunken?’

Everyone’s head snaps back towards Jungkook, the air stilling and slowly staining a brighter shade of red. Sk’jin blinks, willing the edging red across his vision to go away.

‘The Sunken?’

‘There are places- zones; black, dark, places; too dangerous to go to,’ Jungkook explains. ‘Anu and ama always tell us to never go there. We never did.’

‘What are these places?’ Namjoon asks eagerly.

‘Where anu found me,’ Jungkook whispers, as though telling them all a secret. ‘Where anu found all of us- it’s where ama came from too I think.’

‘What did she tell you about it? Who else knew?’

Jungkook looks at him, as though for permission. He’d been doing that a lot.

Sk’jin just nods, unable to think of anything to do or say.

‘She said we couldn’t tell- because they were looking for us. They were always looking for us.’

‘Who?’

‘I don’t know- other Kabans, bad Beings, germs, wild creatures,’ Jungkook shrugs. ‘We were always careful- we never went to the center, or to the halls; if we did, we covered our faces and heads- especially ama.’

‘Did she teach you how to speak?’

‘Anu and ama,’ Jungkook whispers again, ‘Anu said ama was the smartest.’

Sk’jin can’t wrap his mind around it. A Khol’isa, born outside of the Bloodmoon? Born without nightmares?

‘Did they sleep?’ Sk’jin finds himself asking. ‘How- how did you sleep?’

Everyone looks at him with surprise and confusion.

‘It was cold- when it rained, it was cold,’ Jungkook explains. ‘When I was small, I slept with anu and ama.’

‘And did they sleep?’

Jungkook doesn’t seem to understand, his head tilting a little as though trying to comprehend the question. Sk’jin blinks hard but the red doesn’t go away.

‘We love sleeping.’

No one speaks, all having understood the point Sk’jin was trying to understand, to complete.

‘What happened? Were you taken?’ Hoseok asks gently.

Jungkook shakes his head, ‘I don’t know- it was dark and heavy and-‘

He flinches, hands gripping the metal of the claw with intense strength and force, creating little dents under his fingers.

‘-I woke up alone.’

Sk’jin is vaguely aware of them speaking, but he can’t really hear them, not over how the Bloodmoon stains the Bridge around him and it won’t go away.

‘Was your ama like you?’ Sk’jin asks, looking up. He’s vaguely aware of how everyone has stopped speaking, small smiles fading into concerned frowns.

‘She was like you,’ Jungkook replies.

‘No- no as in- what did you-‘ Sk’jin is overwhelmed, the red light overtaking him and nearly rendering him breathless.

Suddenly Yoongi steps forward in the bright red light and in one swift motion, lifts his shirt over his back, displaying his back to Jungkook who flinches. Sk’jin takes this moment to close his eyes, breathing in slow and deep.

‘I don’t have it,’ he hears Jimin saying, ‘No one but you, and Yoongi.’

‘Why?’

‘We are the same- created the same.’ Yoongi tells him quietly.

‘-I don’t- I don’t understand-.’

The Bloodmoon shines high and cruel above him, the sky stretches bright and dark simultaneously and now it bleeds over the gritty black mountains of Ynqaba- over the broken bodies of Camat, of Bhān, of

A hand grips Sk’jin around his back, yanking him out of the bloody sky and back into the Bridge that is bright and void of any red stain.

Namjoon studies him carefully, looking down at him with worry in his eyes. Behind him, everyone else seemed to be busy looking over the map, discussing amongst themselves something Sk’jin can’t catch up to. How long had he been gone?

‘Are you okay?’

Mutely, Sk’jin nods.

‘I think we should invest in a UV-Bed,’ Namjoon tells him though it sounds nothing like a suggestion and more like a statement. ‘Or at least a scanner to attach to the Medical Bed.’

‘Sounds good,’ Sk’jin breathes out, finding that the air didn’t smell like death.

Hoseok glances at them with a questioning look before he walks away towards the cockpit.

‘Sk’jin! We can find nice clothing here,’ Jimin tells him with a smile from across the Table.

‘Oh- yeah I guess-‘

Hoseok suddenly reappears, his expression tight and disturbed. Namjoon clearly picks up on it too.

‘What’s wrong?’ the Kutsoglerin demands at once.

‘I have bad news,’ Hoseok declares immediately, his actions purposeful but gentle when he angles Taeh’yung away from the central control panel.

‘Uh-‘

‘There have been leaks- of Yoongi’s fight at the arena.’ Hoseok says tersely, tapping a few times to connect his personal screen and project it into the Table’s system.

And there, surely enough, was Yoongi’s final fight. The footage has been messily edited, with the purposeful intention of focusing on Yoongi’s face.

‘There’s no explanation, no bounty, nothing,’ Hoseok explains. ‘I’ve been keeping sensors out in the Underverse for anything related to Pompa- I was just alerted about this.’

‘They’re trying everything to find us if they’re making this available,’ Namjoon states at once, coming over to where Sk’jin now stood behind Hoseok. ‘This has to be the Special-Jury- they want to expose Yoongi’s face-‘

‘But why Yoongi?’ Jimin asks, watching with a pained expression as Yoongi skids across the arena ground, the cheers of the Pompan crowd filling the air despite the volume being reduced. Jungkook crouches down instantly, hands covering his ears.

Hoseok quickly cancels the projection, looking down at the Vicitra worriedly.

‘Hey baby it’s okay- no more bad sounds,’ Taeh’yung coos gently as he crouches next to Jungkook. To everyone’s surprise, Jungkook turns a little to face Taeh’yung. The Zhak’gri is very evidently pleased, throwing a long arm around the Vicitra and making soft cooing sounds against his bowed head.

‘Has footage or news of us been introduced to the Underverse?’ Sk’jin asks as he regains his bearings, feeling better and a little lighter.

‘None that I know- but, I feel like this is a warning,’ Hoseok says evenly. ‘Yoongi’s identity, or lack of it, and his invisibility was a factor we used to our benefit- but with this video out there, any chances of a complete cover will be impossible. Not when there will be Beings out there looking for him.’

‘Can you see where it was released from? Was it from Pompa itself or-?’

‘Not from here we can’t,’ Namjoon shakes his head, replying in Hoseok’s place. ‘I’ll add this into the favour. See the source.’

Sk’jin nods to that.

‘Also,’ Hoseok frowns as he pulls up another tab from his screen, ‘I’ve been checking frequencies that have been crossing over our systems and I think-‘ he looks up from across the Table and meets Sk’jin’s eyes. The screen in his pocket suddenly burns, and Sk’jin is acutely aware of it.

‘Jinnie! I’m hungry!’ Taeh’yung declares loudly from where he’s crouched, successfully winding his arms and even legs around the young Vicitra who seemed to have realized that there was no point struggling against Taeh’yung’s incurable desire to hug all things.

‘Then starve,’ is Sk’jin’s instant reply.

‘But so is Jungkookie!’ Taeh’yung shakes Jungkook a little, ‘Right Kookie?’

Jungkook eyes Taeh’yung, then Sk’jin, and then Jimin and then back to Sk’jin before nodding and adding a small, ‘sorry’ at the end.

‘Okay okay- for ’s sake,’ Sk’jin rolls his eyes, avoiding Hoseok who was still watching him, ‘Come along children, let’s go fix breakfast or whatever meal we can make.’

‘I will help!’ Jimin declares as he comes around the Table, holding his hands out to both Taeh’yung and Jungkook to help them stand.

Sk’jin fairly runs out of the Bridge, followed closely by Jimin, Taeh’yung, and Jungkook.

To his relief, neither Hoseok or Namjoon approach him; they don’t even appear downstairs, sticking to the Bridge mainly. Instead, after breakfast has been made and consumed, Yoongi approaches him quietly. In all fairness Sk’jin hadn’t even noticed the Human had joined them for the meal until Jimin had pushed an extra plate towards him, clearly a portion for Yoongi. Sk’jin had felt a bit bad, but Yoongi hadn’t even noticed.

Yoongi takes up the dish-duty without comment, an odd thing considering how Sk’jin had realized early on that Yoongi purposefully avoided all kitchen duties and chores by using his lack of presence to his advantage.

‘Jimin was in love with Yoongi,’ he states without preamble, sliding in the dirty dishes into the UV-washer.

‘Uh-‘

‘And Yoongi was also in love with him.’

Sk’jin pauses in his actions of storing away the extra food.

‘Yoongi had wondered how it would feel to feel asleep every night with Jimin by his side,’ Yoongi tells him quietly, staring straight ahead of him, out into the white warp-light like he could something else beyond it. ‘With Jimin’s hand under his cheek.’

‘You remember that?’

Yoongi nods.

‘I slept with Jimin, his hand under my cheek,’ Yoongi tells him. ‘I sleep in the same bed, and I hold him when we sleep. He holds me when we sleep. I kiss him; he kisses me- and I don’t understand.’

‘Do you do that…because you’re not sure if that memory…that wish is yours, or his?’ Sk’jin asks carefully after some quiet contemplation.

Yoongi nods again.

‘Yoongi…’ Sk’jin pauses. He might tease and goad those around him who were in relationships or were nursing massive crushes on others, but he was absolutely clueless as to how to actually approach the subject. ‘Yoongi- uh. Are you- are you, you right now, in love with Jimin?’

‘I don’t know,’ Yoongi tells him bluntly, looking down when he realizes there are no more dishes left.

‘Is Jimin in love with you?’

‘He tells me that I am his. And he is mine,’ Yoongi looks away and stares straight at Sk’jin.

Sk’jin is at a loss. He doesn’t know what he’s supposed to say in this. Hoseok should be able to say something about now.

‘Sometimes- sometimes I think I am, but sometimes- it’s him.’ Yoongi explains. ‘I don’t know.’

And with that, Yoongi excuses himself and walks over to the Lobby where Taeh’yung, Jungkook, and Jimin were sitting. They took to watching random entertainment videos and clips, laughing together, showing Jungkook different things about the Universe. It had been Jimin’s idea; to educate Jungkook the way he had been.

Sk’jin pauses to think- studying Yoongi as he sat next to Jimin.

How did it feel to struggle with the emotions and memories of a past, one you could not call your own, but one that controlled your every move- one that dictated your entire life? It was a wonder that Yoongi didn’t lose his mind; being hyper-aware of another past, no wonder Yoongi doubted his present so much. No wonder he doubted everything about himself, because he didn’t know if what he felt, what he saw, what he thought, was original or not.

Sk’jin had his nightmares yes,- but they were his own.

His fears were his own.

His memories, no matter how horrible, no matter how heartbreaking, were his.

His happiness was his own too; memories of warm brown eyes, dimpled smiles. Memories of loud laughter, feet kicked up onto the dashboard, memories of being slapped upside his head even though he was a captain. Memories of bleeding skies, pained screams, of haunting eyes pleading towards him.

They were all his own. And Sk’jin was sure of himself in these memories.

‘Sk’jin!’

Jungkook senses him, head snapping towards him, a hand reaching out towards him, eyes wide and hopeful, a little apprehensive, but still eager.

Suddenly the Bloodmoon is back, and the red light stains the floors, the walls, the air, the table, the couch; it’s creeping over and covering Taeh’yung, Yoongi, Jimin; it’s spreading and spreading and Jungkook is morphing, eyes widening in fear and panic, mouth stretching open to a scream-

‘SK’JIN!’

 

*

 

The first thing Sk’jin notices is the ceiling- an annoyingly familiar one that Sk’jin recognizes is from the Medical Bay.

‘I thought passing out wasn’t good for you.’

Hoseok is standing there, hands on hips, a look of disapproval on his face that is probably too effective because Sk’jin feels guilty. For no clear reason.

That is until Sk’jin glances down and notices that his screen is in Hoseok’s hands. Okay so maybe he knows now.

‘It’s- it’s not,’ Sk’jin agrees. ‘But there are times when I can’t help it.’

Hoseok’s mouth is turned downwards in a weird grimace, his yellow eyes sharp and disapproving. He reaches over and places the screen next to Sk’jin on the Bed.

‘You’re getting calls.’

‘I’m aware.’

‘You’re not answering them.’

‘No I’m not.’

‘Calls on a channel that’s supposed to be un-breached and a secret.’

‘I am aware of that too.’

‘Will you tell me about it,’ Hoseok smiles and it’s a bit creepy.

‘We all have our secrets Hobi, let me keep mine.’

‘But that’s one too many.’

‘If I tell you one right now, will you let me off?’

Hoseok narrows his eyes at him.

‘Don’t make promises you can’t keep.’

Sk’jin feels his heart stutter. It must have actually stuttered, because his medical tab is suddenly haywire and Hoseok looks positively alarmed.

‘I’m fine-‘ Sk’jin says at once. ‘Just- just triggered.’

‘Sk’jin- you have to tell me,’ Hoseok grits out, glancing back between Sk’jin and his medical tab, ‘Will a UV-Bed actually help?’

‘I don’t know,’ Sk’jin tells him honestly. ‘I’m hoping it does. If you think passing out is bad for me and is a pain in the , imagine how I feel about it.’

Hoseok grimaces at him, retrieving a screen to the side, clearly performing an analysis on Sk’jin.

‘There’s no point in worrying,’ Sk’jin shrugs. ‘My existence is an anomaly, so everything about it, by right, shouldn’t be normal. This is fine Hobi, it’s sweet of you to worry.’

‘You shouldn’t do that,’ Hoseok frowns.

‘Do what?’

‘Make yourself expendable like that.’

‘We all are,’ Sk’jin says as he sits up slowly, sighing out. ‘That’s why we’re here.’

‘Well maybe so. But Jungkook isn’t. And now that he’s here- we need to be careful with our words, our actions, and our motives.’ Hoseok says grimly.

Sk’jin doesn’t respond to that but just sighs.

‘Jungkook didn’t leave the Medical Bay until just some time ago,’ Hoseok tells him quietly. ‘You must really look like his mother.’

‘Or maybe I just really exude motherly vibes,’ Sk’jin snorts, rolling his eyes.

‘I actually wanted to talk to you about him.’

‘…about me being a mother?’

‘No,’ Hoseok rolls his eyes. 

‘What about Jungkook?’ Sk’jin asks, eyeing Hoseok carefully and noticing the discomfort the latter was exuding. ‘Is something wrong?’

‘No it’s just- his medical records- he’s healed up yes,’ Hoseok frowns, ‘But well, it’s not how it’s supposed to be I guess. I checked his record again today and he’s…it says he’s malnourished.‘

‘He needs blood to really recover,’ Sk’jin says slowly. ‘He’s cured, but what he’s eating right now isn’t helping is it? What are the possible results of having him “diet” with what we have with us right now?’

Hoseok grimaces at the choice of words.

‘Continued stunted growth? Complete weakness? Prone to illnesses, fragile bones- his metabolism will also be effected. His mental development as well.’ Hoseok lists off, eyeing the screen in his hands.

‘How long until this starts to build up.’

‘It already is- it’s been like this,’ Hoseok sighs out, ‘He was starved and gorged at that cell. He knew it was wrong, but he needed to survive.’

Sk’jin nods, remembering Jungkook’s stuttered words.

Suddenly the screen to his side lights up, a familiar hum filling the air. Sk’jin pointedly ignores Hoseok and cancels the call.

‘So we don’t have any meat on board-‘

His screen lights up again. Sk’jin ignores the incoming call again, knowing full well that Hoseok was watching him. He slides off of the Bed, bare feet touching the cool ground.

‘We need to make a shopping list.’

 

*

 

‘No we are not getting you Grisial crystals- we’re only pretending to be merchants, and besides there is a waiting line for the crystals as well as a special permit to obtain them,’ Namjoon explains to Taeh’yung tiredly.

‘Right- adding non-expensive trinkets for Taeh’yung if we have time for it to the list,’ Sk’jin nods from where he sits, nursing a huge cup of very sweet tea Jimin had insisted he drink. Jungkook was drinking a similar drink next to him, stuck in a dilemma because he didn’t want to leave Sk’jin’s side but he didn’t want to leave Jimin by himself next to Yoongi either.

It’s weirdly cute, Sk’jin thinks to himself. And extremely entertaining because Jimin seems to understand the implications behind both Yoongi and Jungkook’s combined and separate behavior, but didn’t know how to approach the topic either.

‘We’ll also need to get hair—dye for Yoongi, and myself,’ Sk’jin gestures at Yoongi’s off-blue hair. ‘That needs to change- besides, he’s famous for that now.’

‘Should we make it red?’ Taeh’yung suggests. ‘Or green?’

‘Why not bright yellow,’ Hoseok offers from where he sat.

‘Pink?’ Jungkook offers so quietly that only Sk’jin hears it. Looking down Sk’jin finds the young Vicitra staring at his own head, clearly reminiscing something over the way he was just looking at Sk’jin’s hair.

‘You don’t want me to change it?’ Sk’jin asks. Jungkook shakes his head.

‘Do you want to change your hair colour?’ Sk’jin asks with a grin. Jungkook shakes his head even more.

‘I’ll change it too! Can I pa?’ Taeh’yung swivels on the footstool, addressing Namjoon with pleading eyes.

‘Sure,’ Namjoon relents with a sigh.

‘I wanna make it bright red-‘

‘We’ll be at Pit 3 in 20 minutes,’ Hoseok announces.

‘Okay, so I’ll head over to the public communications office, send out my message,’ Namjoon states before anyone (read: Taeh’yung) can change topics.

‘Taeh’yung and I will head to the Flotsam and Jetsam for supplies,’ Hoseok continues. They had all decided that Hoseok was probably the best option to handle Taeh’yung and keep an eye on him while both entertaining and distracting him from causing potential accident/ruckus that would bring him attention.

‘Yoongi, Jungkook, and I will stay inside, away from sight.’ Jimin says carefully and slowly, purposefully making his sentence as correct as he could.

‘I will head over to the terminal-counter to arrange our travel-route with the Grisial Tourism Authority,’ Sk’jin finishes before glancing at Jungkook and adding, ‘Don’t start any fights with Yoongi while I’m gone.’

Jungkook looks a little offended but also weirdly subdued, as though he had been entertaining that idea. It makes Sk’jin worry a little bit.

With everyone tasked and seated, Hoseok counts down their exit from warp.

Everyone is tensed, because the last time they had exited warp had been nothing short of a disaster. Jungkook seems to sense this as well, eyes flitting back and forth between everyone in nervous apprehension. They had deactivated what Sk’jin mentally coined the Invisibility Button and had tagged on a whole new digital identity over the ship in general. It was, however, completely ready to activate again. The reason why Jimin was going to be staying back was mainly for that. They would activate it again once they got out of Pit 3 and cruised along the Grisial motorway, but for now they were, in every sense of the word, very visible and trackable.

The familiar compression in the lining of his stomach indicates their start in exiting warp-speed, the white light outside pulling into streaks, allowing the dark of space beyond starlight to appear, until the lights fade and shrink into tiny spots above and below-

‘Wow.’

Wow is an understatement but there is no other word to describe the beauty of Grisial.

A gigantic planet of pure white, gleaming and catching light of its distant star and reflecting it back out into space 5 times as bright, Grisial was nicknamed the star-planet for good reason. And surrounding the planet, was a wide and vast and rather deep disc of asteroid debris that stretched so far that Sk’jin feels as though he were looking down straight into a miniature galaxy rather than a planet surrounded by asteroids.

It’s breathtaking and awe-inspiring.

Each asteroid was gleaming bright and yet gentle, casting a luminance that was not harsh or glaring. The entire belt felt like an ocean of light, rather than thousands of gleaming asteroids. If you watched closely, hues of every colour slowly spread, like ink drops in clear water, before fading out completely again. All of Grisial was like a band of light, the spectrum splitting at random, and different colours washing over softly and quickly.

‘Sk’jin could you announce us in,’ Namjoon asks quietly.

Startled out of stupor, Sk’jin reaches over the Communications Board.

‘This is trading ship ID 32-0089 class III requesting permission to enter Grisial with request type C: Tourism from the Immigration Bureau at Raksane Tayi,’ Sk’jin lies smoothly.

Identification confirmed and request permitted. Pit 3 is open to you. Welcome to Grisial 32-0089, we hope you have a wonderful stay.’ A voice replies a few seconds later.

‘Thank you.’ Sk’jin watches as their permit is granted in the form of a pass-code sent to them. ‘God the pass- Hobi take us down.’ 

Hoseok gently guides the ship downward, and before Sk’jin can ask how they were supposed to find their way around the place, the asteroids around them gleam a soft violet, indicating paths downwards into the belt.

Sk’jin is surprised to hear a thick sniffing sound and when he looks around, is surprised to find Jungkook with tears in his eyes. The Vicitra is also surprised by his reaction, touching his face as though he didn’t know why his body was reacting so. He looks at Sk’jin as though to help him understand. Pulling at his sleeve and covering his hand, Sk’jin dabs at the young Vicitra’s face.

‘It’s okay,’ he tells him quietly, ‘Sometimes you cry when you see something beautiful. It’s natural.’

Jungkook doesn’t seem to understand, but he nods anyways, ducking his head down and wiping at face harshly with a few more quiet sniffs.

The belt wasn’t just filled with large floating chunks of Grisial crystals, but was mixed with all sorts of rock and debris. Some were dark, gleaming like cheap dark glass, while some appeared to look like every other asteroid, a dull grey or dim black. Some of them had tiny lights all over them, a clear indication of a mining process, and some were barren and empty. Others were bored and hollowed, decorated with lights and creating a natural show of light and shadow which Taeh’yung had been very taken with.

Jimin is standing at the front, hands on the glass as he looks around awed. He waves his hands across the crystals, and Sk’jin isn’t sure if it was Jimin himself causing the lights, or the lights responding to Jimin because the nearby crystals brighten and gleam in the same motion as his hand.

Sk’jin glances over at Namjoon and Hoseok, wondering if they were seeing this too, but Hoseok was busy steering the ship (a good thing), and Namjoon was going over something at the Table, only sparing the occasional glace out of the window here and there.

Instead it’s Jungkook who seems to notice too, watching Jimin’s hands move, and watching how the lights seemed to follow this.

‘Who is he?’ Jungkook asks him quietly.

‘We don’t know,’ Sk’jin replies honestly. ‘But we’re taking him home.’

‘He said this is his home.’

‘It’s…it’s difficult to explain. Or understand,’ Sk’jin replies. ‘Not all of us understand much of anything to be honest.’

Jungkook, to Sk’jin’s surprise, finds this funny and giggles quietly.

Following the guidance of the glowing asteroid rocks, the ship dips a little when it connects to the polarized motorway crafted deep inside the asteroid belt, creating a safe and entwined path through the massive area. There were a few ships here and there, and Sk’jin can see Namjoon eyeing each and every one of them, a stony frown on his face.

‘How are the polarized roads even made?’ Sk’jin asks as he looks around the moderate traffic along the motorway.

‘Natural gravity?’ Namjoon shrugs, ‘In Šerdesas they took advantage of their natural magnetic fault lines; on asteroids like these, where the biggest ones have some form of gravity on them, they just take advantage of that and make it so that they can channel that into forming one large strip- the entire thing is solar-charged I think.’

‘We’re quite far from their sun though aren’t we?’ Sk’jin inquires.

‘We are- but Grisial is like a gigantic mirror- reflects and absorbs enough for this motorway.’ Namjoon explains as he gestures to the vaguely glimmering wide flat space along which other ships, Transporters, and large freights moved along.

This is Pit 3. Platform 54-G is open and ready to receive you,’ a voice calls smoothly as they turn, passing a massive jet-black asteroid and Pit 3 appears before them.

Structurally it resembled any other Dock, except it was made out of asteroid crystals of various clear shades, making it look like a massive palace like structure of pure dark glass veined with ice.

‘Wow,’ Jungkook breathes out quietly, eyes wide as he looks upon the Pit.

‘Hard to believe this is a mining zone,’ Namjoon chortles a little, ‘It could very well be transformed into a holiday getaway or something.’

‘But not as profitable,’ Hoseok laughs from the front, stretching after he aligned the ship to pull straight into their designated platform. ‘Grisial makes enough profit to fund a whole System. Everyday.’

Namjoon whistles low, which Jimin imitates, and then Jungkook tries to imitate as well. And for someone who probably hasn’t whistled before, does a very good job of it.

‘I’m sorry you guys don’t get to go out and explore,’ Namjoon says, addressing Yoongi and Jimin, and then Jungkook who bows his head, as though worried that his evident desire to go out and explore would get him some sort of reprimanding action.

‘It’s okay,’ Jimin smiles, ‘I can watch from here.’

‘I’ve been here before. It’s not new to me,’ Yoongi states simply.

‘When were you here?’ Hoseok asks with interest.

’23 sols ago,’ Yoongi answers. ‘My mission was to disrupt an exchange.’

‘…was it disrupted.’

‘It was.’

Taeh’yung giggles at that.

The landing platforms were cleanly cut into the surface of the asteroid, hollowed out, casting light in echoes around the whole place. There was a sense of somehow feeling submerged underwater though it was not dark but instead strangely bright. When they land, Sk’jin can’t help but excitedly walk behind a skipping Taeh’yung who gleefully throws open the Hangar gateway and dives out.

It wasn’t like sunlight, but Sk’jin will take it.

He knows that his issues were not caused solely due to the lack of sunlight, but this made him feel a little stronger, a bit safer.

‘Okay,’ Namjoon calls as he enters the Hangar behind Sk’jin with Hoseok and Jungkook. ‘Yoongi close up behind at once and report anything unusual. And everyone, for the sake of my sanity, please do not wander off or lose your Comm-Device okay?’

Taeh’yung salutes him, nearly slapping an approaching Hoseok on the face in the process. Namjoon watches them leave with an exasperated look on his face.

Waving goodbye at Jungkook who is crouched behind the Spardyti, Sk’jin steps off the Užkulisai, shortly behind Namjoon.

‘If there’s any issue-‘

‘I know,’ Sk’jin waves dismissively, ‘I’ll inform everyone at once. Comm-Device is on and running.’

Namjoon looks like he wants to say something more but just nods once before taking off another way.

Their platform extends out into the main Bay, criss-crossing bridges and footpaths overtaking at random, held up by strong metal wires. Everything appeared glass-like and it’s strangely beautiful. Sk’jin quickly finds a lift and enters the zone he was supposed to go to.

The FJ is rather far- might take a while to get back up considering all the stuff we need,’ Hoseok reports. ‘It’s at the very bottom.’

That’s fine- just keep us updated,’ Namjoon replies at once.

‘I’m pretty far in myself,’ Sk’jin reports, looking through the clear walls that made the lift as he descends for a few seconds before the lift shifts and travels horizontally inwards.

I think I’ll be done that fastest then,’ Namjoon reports. ‘I’ve found a PCO already.’

Sk’jin leans against the walls, feeling like the contact with the material that seemed to absorb and refract sunlight made him feel better.

Zone 76 Grisial Tourism Authority Area E: Tourism and Sight-Seeing Package Guides and Permit.’

Sk’jin and a few others step out. There’s more people here and Sk’jin easily blends in with the crowd. Now that he wasn’t in robes but just in regular ship-crew clothing, Sk’jin hardly caught any attention. Not that it mattered to Sk’jin because when needed he could easily slip away unnoticed regardless of what he was wearing.

The terminal-counter he was looking for was easy to find and the Androids manning the booths pleasant to talk to as well. They were designed to look like the Beings closest to Grisial, which, is Sk’jin wasn’t mistaken, was the Perigel System. They all bore a strong amphibious features; slimy skin, webbed fingers, large almost unblinking eyes, with an added crown of coral-like structure around the edge of their heads. Out of water they looked strangely gormless and rather clumsy. But in water, the Beings from the Perigel System were unmatched in speed, agility, and most notably, hunting.

But the Androids created after their image were far from hunting examples and instead smiled wide open-mouthed smiles as Sk’jin thanked them, permit in hand for their desired travel-route.

‘Hey, I’m done,’ Sk’jin announces, heading for the left again.

Sk’jin, could you come help us at the FJ? There’s a lot.’ Hoseok says shortly.

Suppressing a snort Sk’jin agrees as Namjoon also volunteers to give a hand. Changing his direction, Sk’jin heads for the landing with the lifts that would take him to the bottom most levels where the Flotsam and Jetsam was spread out over a few levels. But Sk’jin takes a short pause as he enters the landing.

Whatever the asteroid was made of, and whatever the Pit was carved into was of a clear and very strong material, allowing Sk’jin a very clear and very wide view of the entirety of the Grisial Asteroid Belt sprawled in all it’s luminous glory around him.

‘Sight-seeing, that’s nice.’

Spinning on his heel, Sk’jin raises his hands to cross over his chest in automatic defence.

‘We’re-‘

But a hand clamps over his mouth and he’s being very easily dragged out of the landing in a surprisingly casual manner without drawing any attention.

Sk’jin is in too much shock- no one could sneak up on him like this it was impossible-

‘Why have you not been responding to any of my calls!’

His mouth no longer covered and being shoved into a small ramp behind the lifts, Sk’jin can only gape in absolute confusion.

It’s been 4 sols.

4 sols since Sk’jin gained his Being back- since he was freed from the confines of the Original Nightmare. 4 sols since he lost his horns.

4 sols since he last saw-

‘Zitao.’

The Long-Huon looks well. Still as tall and gangly as ever, his natural expression caught between annoyance and disgust is emphasized even more with the frown that is very genuine on his face. And then everything hits Sk’jin in one heavy swoop.

‘What are you doing here!’ Sk’jin hisses, glaring at the Long-Huon who is glaring back as well.

‘You didn’t respond to any of my calls!’ Zitao hisses. ‘Something happened I could feel it- you know I’m worried-‘

‘How did you even find me- you’re not supposed to know-‘

‘I had help,’ Zitao hisses again before pushing them further down the ramp. ‘You were missing-‘

‘You were tracking me?’ Sk’jin throws his hands up in disbelief. ‘What the -‘

‘I was worried for ’s sake!’ Zitao wipes at his face in exasperation. ‘And then I saw- I saw you went back-‘

‘I had to- you know I had to,’ Sk’jin spits out. ‘I couldn’t leave them there- I couldn’t-‘

‘They’re not there anymore! We buried them!’ Zitao hisses out but this time he sound sad, ‘We buried them Jin- I remember. We took all of their bones, all of their belongings, and we buried them- and after what happened they’re free-‘

I saw him,’ Sk’jin whispers, looking away. ‘I went back- and I saw him. I saw him everywhere-‘

‘It’s in your head-‘

Sk’jin snorts, ‘How ironic considering I was in your head the entire time unless you forgot that didn’t make me any less fake-‘

‘But you were alive-‘

‘And he is! They are! They’re alive in me!’ Sk’jin wants to scream. ‘The same way all of those kids were alive in your head- the same way what happened-‘

‘-I’ve made my peace Jin,’ Zitao cuts across, his yellow irises flashing, black slits that made his pupils narrowing dangerously. ‘And you know this isn’t good for you- you were the one who kept telling me that-‘

Zitao stops, wiping at his face before he steps close.

‘Jin please- this isn’t good for you- just look at you, this isn’t right- I can feel it- it’s like you’re missing even when I see you-‘

‘I made a promise!’ Sk’jin shoves Zitao away. ‘I made a promise kid- you fulfilled yours, and now with that I get to fulfill mine- so you can’t tell me what to do-‘

Zitao snorts derisively, ‘No- you can’t do this-‘

Zitao is suddenly flying, tackled down by a blur of movement that Sk’jin had been too preoccupied to notice.

Namjoon is pushed off of Zitao who is quick to react.

Before Sk’jin can even put in a word they’re leaping at each other, determined to maim, at the very least. Sk’jin is also subjected to quick glances that can only be translated into ‘why the aren’t you helping me?’ from both Namjoon and Zitao.

Namjoon is a surprisingly able and effective fighter. But the only reason why Zitao isn’t cleaning the floor with Namjoon is because the Long-Huon probably already figured out what was happening. Which is why he gives Sk’jin a glare.

‘Stop!’ Sk’jin yells, flapping his arms about as he steps forward to separate the two, pushing their faces away.

‘-why are you like this?!’ Zitao slaps Namjoon’s arms, pushing him away, ‘Gross, get off of me -‘

‘-what the actual -?!’ Namjoon ducks away from Zitao’s flapping hands.

‘Who is he?!’ they both demand before glaring at each other.

‘Oh for ’s sake calm the down both of you!’ Sk’jin snaps. ‘Zitao this is Namjoon he’s the captain of the mission I’m in. Namjoon this is Zitao he was with me in the Nightmare Planet.’

There are looks of understanding in both of their eyes but they both regard each other with looks of suspicion nonetheless.

‘And you!’ Sk’jin rounds up at Namjoon. ‘Why didn’t you just pause to ask what was happening like a civil Being that I know you’re perfectly capable of being-‘

‘I saw you getting dragged off,’ Namjoon explains looking irritated and exasperated. ‘You were fighting against him I thought you were being held against your will you were even yelling-‘

‘ing Spaces- you- you didn’t even…’ Sk’jin can’t help but gawk at Namjoon.

‘What-‘

‘You didn’t even…you didn’t even pause to ask what was happening you just- you just tackled him wow-‘

Namjoon and Zitao just give him bewildered expressions.

‘Why are you here?’ Namjoon demands, clearly dismissing Sk’jin as a hopeless case.

‘Sight-seeing,’ Zitao answers with a smile so fake and sweet that Sk’jin is rather proud. Namjoon doesn’t seem to appreciate it as much.

‘Jin- we need to talk. I’m not leaving this System until we talk- and I know you’re staying here for 4 days based on the route you just registered for-‘

‘-how do you know that-‘ Namjoon is demanding but Zitao blithely ignores him.

‘I will be on call and ready to meet you at any time- so you ing get your excuses ready before that time or I will take you back with me.’

Namjoon steps in smoothly at that. They’re the same height, Sk’jin realizes so they can’t stare each other down but they were both damn well trying.

‘While I will not pretend to understand the nature of your relationship with Sk’jin I will ask you to back the off. Speaking as his Captain I will not tolerate this threatening behavior-‘

‘Oh pardon me Captain,’ Zitao trills, mimicking Namjoon’s voice badly and rather loudly. ‘But I was not talking to you- this doesn’t concern you and if you were really a Captain caring for his crew then maybe you would notice that Jin is in obvious need of emergency treatment-‘

‘Zitao maybe you should leave now,’ Sk’jin cuts, pushing them both away from each other. ‘I’ll call you when I get back to my ship and-‘

‘Whatever needs to be said can be said in front of me-‘ Namjoon cuts in.

‘Literally no one invited you okay-‘

‘Hey! This area is off-limits!’ a voice rings out in clear warning over a megaphone of sorts.

They all jump in alarm, not noticing that they had an audience watching them with varying expressions of wariness, amusement, and entertainment.

Uh Jinnie is everything okay-

‘I am not here for this- please remember to contact me for ’s sake-‘ Zitao is saying as he backs off, walking backwards quickly and to the intense amazement of everyone watching, sinks down straight to the floor.

‘What the -?!’

‘Hey! The two of you! Stop right there!’

The Tourism Authority Security was strict- not wanting stragglers, smugglers, or pirates in the Belt. And at this moment, Namjoon and Sk’jin seemed to fit in this category, given their screaming and yelling and obvious near-brawl that just broke out. Sk’jin didn’t even realize that Namjoon’s sweater was torn, revealing his not so ordinary arm structure to the entire public before them.

‘Step towards us hands up in the air- are you armed?’ the Officer asks, there’s a total of 3 of them right now. They could easily overwhelm them, but Sk’jin doesn’t know what to think of the crowd and how they would react. Attacking was not a good idea, but-

‘Sk’jin.’

They make a very quick decision.

Being taken by the Tourism Authority would mean registering their photograph and fake identity into the registry. Meaning a direct link into the GLA Database. Meaning an instant alarm on their position because no doubt the Special-Jury were keeping an eye out for them.

Sharing one look, Namjoon and Sk’jin turn on their heel, and run.

‘Guys! Hurry and get back- on the ship-!’ Namjoon orders as they sprint down the ramp before taking a sharp turn into an alley that ran along the back of the lift-system, leaping over random objects, covered propellers, and lengths of cable. , the Perigel Officers were fast despite not being in water; Sk’jin makes a mental note to increase his fitness and athletic ability. Maybe train with Hoseok, who knows.

What?! What’s going on again-‘ Hoseok sounds .2 seconds from giving up.

Do you need backup?’

‘No- no Yoongi, you stay put- we’re coming to you. Jimin activate-‘ Namjoon jumps over a large cart, foot catching on the lid and nearly falling on his face but Sk’jin is quick to help him stay upright.

-I got it!’ Jimin replies, sounding worried and panicked.

Pa! Jinnie! What’s wrong-?!’

‘Don’t worry about us- just- everyone on the ship!’ Sk’jin wheezes out as they burst out into the crowd, startling a few Beings before diving into a crowd near a small market.

‘Sk’jin we can’t keep running-‘ Namjoon pulls him to a stop, ducking around behind a display of psychedelic postcards to one side, and what appeared to be glass s to one side, bending his knees to remain hidden. ‘We need to find a way to stay hidden and get back to the ship.’

Security is approaching the area, they’re going to surround you,’ Yoongi reports, having clearly already hacked into the security system in the Pit to watch them. ‘You need to exit the place now.’

‘-‘ Sk’jin quickly removes his outerwear, reversing and flinging it over Namjoon’s shoulders before pulling him down the market street, hurriedly pulling at an unsuspecting tourist’s dangling thin scarf and wrapping his head with it.

‘This won’t work-‘

‘For now it will-!’ Sk’jin hisses back at Namjoon who despite his words was also looking about for items to nick as they weaseled their way about the busy market.

Guys taking any form of public transit will get you spotted-‘ Hoseok sounds a little breathless as though he was running. Sk’jin hurries his steps, followed closely by Namjoon who throws another scarf like fabric over Sk’jin’s head, replacing the threadbare one. ‘You’ll need to find a way to get through to at least the closest docking platform zone-‘

Sk’jin would have found their current location funny in this market if he had the time and capacity to enjoy it. They were surrounded by rather questionable items, all of which were designed and marketed for usage in the bedroom for intimate purposes. Sk’jin might have giggled hysterically as they jogged past the stores, making a few people stare at him.

‘-you just need to ascend up to Zone 90 and I can bring the Spardyti to you.’ Yoongi reports before stopping, ‘They’re surrounding your location you can’t-‘

‘-‘ Sk’jin stops, making Namjoon nearly crash into him.

‘Sk’jin what the -‘

‘We can’t do anything- unless we fight,’ Sk’jin sighs, pulling them to stand at the side next to a stall that sold an array of glass s (10% Grisial Crystal! Guaranteed to boost your stamina!!). ‘And at this point, fighting will lead to more problems. If we just allow ourselves to be captured, and we pretend we were having some dumb love-triangle argument then that could work-‘

Stepping closer, Namjoon frowns at Sk’jin.

Why are you stopping?’ Yoongi asks, sounding understandably confused. ‘4 Officers approaching-‘

Sk’jin frowns back, arms crossed and ready to obviously get arrested. What else could they do? They were going to be taken by the Tourism Officers, arrested, their identities exposed, and then taken back to Tayi.

But that doesn’t happen because Namjoon wipes at his face, sighing as though exhausted at Sk’jin, and pulls him forward and without preamble kisses him.

Sk’jin’s first reaction is to kill Namjoon of course.

But then it occurs to him that this is an excellent way to deter attention away from them. By drawing attention to themselves.

‘You’re a terrible kisser,’ Sk’jin mumbles against Namjoon’s lips- their embrace awkward and strained.

‘I’m not paying attention to quality here-‘ Namjoon grumbles back, face turning as though to kiss him deeper but it’s to shield them both.

Um-‘

‘Let me-‘ Sk’jin rolls his eyes and sweeping Namjoon backwards and down, takes the initiative to actually kiss Namjoon. Namjoon makes a weird, slightly terrified, sound but doesn’t fight it. For added effect, Sk’jin swipes at the s in display, holding them over their heads and he makes obnoxious sounds that makes Namjoon wince in great discomfort and obvious embarrassment.

Footsteps thunder past and Namjoon’s grip tightens.

Sk’jin likes kissing. It’s fun, and it also showed you a lot about the Being you were kissing.

And Namjoon’s inexperience makes him want to giggle. Namjoon’s kiss is just like his personality.

You can stop kissing they’re out of the area.’

WHAT?!-‘

‘WHO’S KISSING WHO-‘

‘Ca-captain and Jin-‘ Jungkook replies sounding very unsure of what he just saw.

‘WHAT WHY FOR ’S SAKE-‘ Hoseok sounds beyond himself with confusion.

‘Wow that actually worked,’ Sk’jin declares as he pulls Namjoon up from dipping him downwards, the latter looks dizzy and slightly nauseous. ‘Don’t look that disgusted-‘

Um- I think you should start running-‘ Jimin states uncertainly.

Please make your way into the 5th stall and ask for the restroom. You can access the pipes from the vents.’ Yoongi states, sounding almost exasperated despite his deadpan tone.

Namjoon still looks a little overwhelmed so Sk’jin grabs his hand and pulls him into the direction they were pretty much ordered to go to by Yoongi.

‘Anything around?’

The market is surrounded. They will arrive at your location in 20 seconds again.’ Yoongi replies.

It’s a restaurant of sorts and Namjoon and Sk’jin quickly flit in and no one bats an eye at them as they make their way to the back and to the bathroom. Sk’jin only just realizes that maybe holding two glass in one hand while pulling in a very flustered Being behind him probably only meant one thing while entering a restroom.

Sk’jin has been caught doing much worse, so this doesn’t really matter much to him. Dignity was after all, just a concept.

‘Okay we’re in the restroom-‘

According to the layout, you should find a large shredder tube-‘

‘Yoongi I don’t think any of us are immune to a shredder tube-‘

‘Wait- I got it,’ Namjoon has recovered enough to join the conversation, pushing Sk’jin aside to access the wall behind the loo.

‘Uh what-‘

What-‘

‘What-‘

Namjoon removes the panel easily enough, fingers digging into the side of the metal. The whirring sound of the very sharp fast blades responsible for reducing nearly every form of recyclable waste into bits fills the air, activated by the sensor.

‘Namjoon don’t be an idiot-‘

And without even blinking an eye, Namjoon reaches into the tube and rips out a few wires, the whirring sound stopping immediately. Namjoon removes a completely unharmed arm looking at Sk’jin as though he was mad.

‘Did you really think I was going to stick my hand in into the blades?’

‘I didn’t know what you were going to do-‘

‘Hand me the -‘

The what-?!’

‘THE WHAT?!’

Sk’jin hands it over and Namjoon quickly leans into the opening, making a few scuffling sounds before an ominous clanging sound rings out and Namjoon hisses out.

‘What-‘

He suddenly jerks, as though violently punching something and the sound of the blades start up again but there’s a wrenching sound and the sound of the blades literally fall away.

‘…Namjoon-‘

‘Right- we should get going,’ Namjoon declares, pulling himself out of the opening only to show Sk’jin a very mangled forearm-

‘For ’s sake-‘

The Officers are outside of the stall- they’re asking about unusual activity. Please hurry the owner is leading them inside.’

Namjoon eyes him as though telling him to hurry and quickly climbs in.

‘Don’t forget the panel-cover,’ he tells Sk’jin before sliding down the tunnel.

‘ing hell-‘

Grabbing the panel-case, Sk’jin climbs over the loo and quickly looks inside the tunnel, Namjoon having already slid down. It’s dark and Sk’jin has no idea what to expect.

The door to the restroom jiggles and Sk’jin ducks all the way in, his feet finding a ledge where the shredder-blades were installed. He pulls the panel-cover with him and making sure it clicks shut, Sk’jin pulls his feet in and simply slides down.

The tube surprisingly curves rather gently and it’s oddly dry- Sk’jin had been expecting to be bombarded with disgusting fluids and something else unimaginably disturbing but it’s surprisingly dry and smelt strongly of some form of cleaning chlorine.

There’s light ahead and before Sk’jin can even hope to slow down, he spills out into a wide basin like opening that dips downwards and into a massive hollow, deep inside the Pit that was clearly the “basement” area. He’s vaguely aware of large pipes, huge cables, and what appeared to be elevator shafts to one side.

‘Oh -!’

Before he goes flying out of the basin, unable to control himself, a hand shoots out and grabs him by the collar of his shirt, nearly ripping it.

‘Oh Spaces-‘ Sk’jin gasps as Namjoon grabs him and steadies him to a stop. ‘ing Spaces-‘

‘We don’t have communications this deep inside,’ Namjoon declares, shakily standing up, nursing his arm. Sk’jin is almost worried, panicked even, before he realizes that the Kutsoglerin didn’t have all too many pain-receptors. He probably felt that it was dislocated and nearly useless and was uncomfortable, but he felt no pain.

The idea of it is almost incomprehensible to Sk’jin.

‘If we’re in underground- we can follow the elevator shafts and make our way to Zone 90,’ Sk’jin plans, carefully edging towards the further side of the basin to look upwards. ‘It’s ing dark.’

‘There should be maintenance stairs or something around here for the Bots,’ Namjoon declares. ‘There should be a maintenance station around here- over there I can see the rungs for some form of adjustable maintenance-lift-‘

A strange sound howls inside the huge empty cavern.

It sounds, most disturbingly, like a toilet flush.

‘What was that-‘

A horrendous stench overwhelms them, causing Sk’jin to instantly gag and it’s followed by a thunderous roar.

Sk’jin finds himself pushed to the side when suddenly the pipe he had slid out of is gushing with what he can only suspect is sewage and waste.

To his great relief, it only lasts a few seconds before it’s followed by an equally strong flood of something that smelt strongly of chlorine. It flushes the basin out, leaving the dark glossy surface spotless. But Sk’jin doesn’t fail to shudder with disgust.

‘Oh ing Spaces-‘ Namjoon takes a step back but then the entire basin tilts and upends.

His shriek of surprise caught in his throat, Sk’jin and Namjoon slip and are literally thrown off of the basin. Scrambling and instinctively throwing his hands above his head, Sk’jin manages to catch onto the lip of a narrow ledge some distance under the basin they had been thrown off of.

‘Namjoon-!’

‘ing-‘ Namjoon curses, dangling with one good arm, legs struggling before he finds a footing along the rough glassy walls. ‘We’re ing cursed aren’t we.’

Sighing in agreement, Sk’jin nods exhaustedly.

‘This is great. Exactly what we need.’ Namjoon rambles on.

Honestly, Sk’jin is too old for this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Author’s Note

 

 

So my thesis proposal was accepted and approved

Why did I think 3D visual development was going to be a good idea

But I think you guys will be excited to know that I’m doing my thesis sort of based on ADEGU- especially Yoongi and Jimin’s short arc in Megibīya. It’s…a spin-off, you could say, of that storyline. But the visuals are all going to be how I imagined that place to look like. So I think I might upload my progress on it, and post them on tumblr or something and link it here so you know what the Uzkulisai looks like, what the screens look like, etc. that should be fun

I’m gonna die aren’t i

Yeah

Sigh

I also wrote a NamJin oneshot here if anyone’s interested in reading 16K of namjin being nerds and awkward and cute

Also

ALL HAIL GLASS S WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I had so much fun writing this chapter

Like im the author but do I love Sk’jin he’s my favorite character I love him so much