“Cinder” [verb]: (archaic) to reduce to ash.

A Detailed Explorer’s Guide into the Unknown

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It is the heat of a burn, the burn of a screaming throat, the silent scream of a dying sun, the death of the familiar warmth of their skin.

It is the fragrance of something blossoming under the summer sun, the flavour of giddy laughter under a neon sign-post, the reflection of a bonfire late at night.

It is the softness of their lips against yours, hesitance but desperate as they try to convey what their words can’t.

It is the edge of the shadows that crawl out from under their hand, reaching out to you, knowing that you cannot hold on.

It is the broken smile on an ashen face, pain and loss etched liked tattoos on their skin.

It is their absence; their pulse no longer beating against yours, the music of their heart silenced and hollow.

It is the price paid; doubled tripled. Heavy and ever growing.

 

It is pain; bitter and ever gnawing.

 

It is anger; destructive and purifying.

 

It is death; ever-lurking and drawing.

 

Sk’jin is startled from the report he’s reading when an annoyed face pops up on the side-tab.

Cap- we got him here.’

‘Hello my love-‘

-for s sake,’ Nambike rolls her eyes, ‘Please act like that Captain you are and tell me what you want to do with him.’

‘Hm,’ Sk’jin hums, stretching under his sheets. ‘Bring him up.’

…the Bridge?’

‘No, bring him to my quarters.’ Sk’jin yawns as he props himself up elegantly on the bed.

Are you at least not .’

‘I can’t promise you anything,’ Sk’jin sing-songs.

He thinks he hears her sigh.

Sk’jin puts away the screen and pushes himself off of the bed long enough to pull on a pair of billowy pajamas but foregoes the top-robes for a practically transparent tunic instead. He lounges back on his bed and he doesn’t even have time to fluff up his hair to the perfect I woke up like this tousled effect he enjoyed the most when Nambike burst it.

A skill no doubt, seeing as all the doors slid open or shut. Yet here she was, short angry figure, powerful enough to probably single-handedly take down an entire fleet of GLA streamers with her bare-hands, glaring at him, unimpressed.

‘Cap,’ she grimaces, as though it pained her to call him that. But it was all a front of course. Sk’jin likens Nambike to a little sister, or sometimes to irk her, a daughter. He did practically raise her; her parents had been killed, slaves in the great  Fytikos war that expended the poor as though they were ammunition. Sk’jin had barely managed to rescue her and a few other of her people before he then got falsely arrested for smuggling Cheimarosium.

6 sols after that in the prison Sk’jin had been locked up in which he successfully controlled by himself within 6 months of imprisonment, he’s “rescued” by the Negrhan and the rest of his crew.   

Did you steal it?’ she had asked, furrow etched far too deep in her brow for so young a Being. Sk’jin snorts and picks her up despite her protests. He cradles her, balancing her on his hip and they stroll out of the prison that didn’t really need breaking into. Honestly, Sk’jin was just waiting for them to finally take the initiative to come pick him up. He could have walked out anytime he wanted.

Do I look like I’d steal from a mother?’

She regarded him with serious eyes, but still filled with an odd innocence. Commendable for someone who had witnessed all that she did at her age.

No,’ she had replied with surety. ‘You would ask permission.’

I doubt Cheimi would allow but you’re right.’

‘My child- my grown little child-‘ he waves elegantly.

Unimpressed, Nambike steps aside and in walks the Being Sk’jin was reading the report on and it takes all of Sk’jin’s will-power to not laugh out loud.

Everything about him screams Venture Unit.

Even down to his hair. It’s dark grey and short, Sk’jin thinks he would look better with longer hair.

He was fresh off of their training academy, it’s obvious. According to the report he was from Mwenzi, a lone planet that orbited a red-star in the Gyāla galaxy towards the borders of the Known Universe. And like his species, he was very tall, grey haired, and generally anthropomorphic. They were hardy and tough, and were disproportionately heavy for their slim built given their bone density and chemical make was made of heavier elements than commonly found in the anthropomorphic sub-species. Sk’jin is aware of the politics of his planet, of how his people had previously been enslaved by a neighbouring planet until the Venture Unit rescued them.

This was of course, only after the Venture Unit carefully removed themselves from the situation, having milked all they could from this simple planet. It made Sk’jin sick to see the Venture Unit now championing the Mwenzini knowing what they did to them.

‘Captain,’ Nambike nods curtly. ‘I present to you Ahadi- he’s been a great help to the Chikwata Clan and they wish to fulfill their gratitude to you by offering their strongest soldier.’

Sk’jin could laugh but he’s a professional dammit and he was going to play along. After all, this Ahadi did manage to get along this far- and quite cleverly too.

The Chikwata Clan were basically all brawn and no brain. They were undoubtedly very loyal, and after Sk’jin personally helped them (without doing much in all frankness) they declared that they would pay him back in kind. They weren’t the most subtle of Beings and loudly and boldly declared their allegiance to Sk’jin. It was also known that the Clan followed a tradition of gift-bearing and giving. So the Chikwata have been gifting Sk’jin for years now, and though the Khol’isa has tried to dissuade them, wasn’t able to stop them. 

So it was quite obvious that Ahadi had gained their favour (again, not difficult) and persuaded the pirate-lord to give him over to Sk’jin.

Fighting the laugh growing in his throat, Sk’jin instead graces him with a smile and a genial bow of his head, knowing full well how his hair strands would fall over his face as he did so.

Nambike rolls her eyes so hard it’s a miracle they haven’t rolled backwards into her head.

‘I welcome you aboard, Ahadi,’ Sk’jin brushes his hair away from his eyes with fair and slender fingers, looking up through his lashes.

Ahadi is completely unaffected, not even slightly distracted by what Sk’jin knows are his factually entrancing good-looks.

‘Thank you Captain- I will show you my work’s worth.’

‘I’m sure you are more than worthy,’ Sk’jin smiles, his tone suggestive as he slowly eyes the tall Being before him. Nambike pretends to throw-up behind Ahadi before exiting the room with another unimpressed look thrown at Sk’jin.

Ahadi gives nothing. There’s absolutely no reaction from the openly lewd expression Sk’jin is giving him.

No defensiveness.

No interest.

No discomfort.

Not even amusement.

He’s just…looking back.

‘Of course I expect you to be loyal to the ship, the Bridge, and the code.’ Sk’jin sits up properly, pretending to stretch a little, his arms uncovered in all their bare glory. He knows that the tunic he’s wearing gives him little to not coverage as he gets up.

‘Not to you?’ he inquires, looking childishly puzzled. Suddenly he looks incredibly young and Sk’jin could coo. He almost feels bad for this Being and decides to let him off easy. He points at his robes hanging behind the Mwenzini and the latter takes a moment to realize what Sk’jin was asking before he carefully lifts the delicate fabric off of the hook and holds it up.

Sk’jin smiles beatifically at the Mwenzini and turns around, slipping his arms into the sleeves of his robes.

‘Thank you,’ Sk’jin nods before he steps away. He suddenly feels very comfortable and gestures for Ahadi to follow him to the window seat. After taking a seat himself, Sk’jin points at the pillows and gives Ahadi a welcoming nod.

‘Sit sit,’ Sk’jin smiles before he continues off with their conversation. ‘And no, not to me- never to me. Loyalty subjected to a single Being never ends well- has your training in the Venture Unit taught you nothing?’

Ahadi freezes, eyes widening just a little, brows furrowing immediately. His stance, though subtle, is already defensive. He also immediately lowers his gaze, away from Sk’jin’s red irises.

‘You’re going to have to be better than that if you want to continue staying here,’ Sk’jin says conversationally. ‘If you freeze like that the next time someone joking mentions it you’re gonna get killed. The Chikwata are kinda thick, so they wouldn’t notice. But here…’ Sk’jin trails off delicately. ‘Besides, it’d be a pity if you get killed- you have nice dimples.’  

Ahadi hasn’t moved- he’s frozen and Sk’jin is about to take pity on him and maybe have him escorted out but he’s surprised when the Mwenzini takes a step forward and throws himself on the cushion in front of Sk’jin, looking heavily disgruntled.

‘What?’ Sk’jin laughs, ‘Did you think I wouldn’t be able to see? To be honest I think everyone saw.’

Ahadi groans, hands pressing hard into the sockets of his eyes as though embarrassed. And embarrassed he was, the tips of his ears are red and his entire body curved inwards.

Sk’jin leans back, amused as he watches Ahadi continue to bow his head in shame.

‘So- how do you want to do this?’ Sk’jin grins.

Ahadi looks away from his hands, wariness and hesitance in his expression.

‘Do you want to stay and do you want to go back to the Venture Unit? We could even stage a whole escape scene for you,’ Sk’jin leans in, feeling excited as he plots, ‘We could say I used my cool creepy Khol’isa eye magic on you and made you spill- but you were too cool to be hypnotized for too long and defeated me! Then you punch me across the face, not in a way that leaves scars- y’know, aesthetic type ! And then ya get runnin’ off, and we can give ya a TeorSer and ya can fake it and fire off’n randomly and so ya have the fire count’n all- then ya steal a Transporter’n warp off!’

Sk’jin is standing, arms flailing as he describes this A+ plan to Mwenzini who looks thoroughly shocked.

‘-I uh-‘ he stammers out.

Sk’jin leans in, their faces inches apart.

‘Or,’ he lowers his voice and his hands reach behind Ahadi, balancing himself on the wall behind the Mwenzini. ‘You can stay here, and learn how things work- disappear from the Venture Unit- or you can continue to report me back, I don’t care- they can’t do anything to me anyways.’

‘They can,’ he argues back almost instantly.

‘You’re so cute,’ Sk’jin elegantly seats himself on the Mwenzini’s lap and he’s amused that now he’s getting a reaction. But it’s more out of sheer embarrassment than anything else. ‘You have so much to learn- stay, and I will teach you.’

Honestly, Sk’jin is expecting this young Agent to say no. Because who would say yes?

Sk’jin might not be a violent pirate or a cliché uncultured brute of a Being, but that didn’t mean he was incapable of making the choices and decisions he had to in order to get him here, as the leader of the most powerful pirating network in the Underverse.

Because Sk’jin was more than capable, more than ready, to execute some of the most morally questionable acts in order to fulfill his plans. And he didn’t heed the Underverse and their laws, or the Venture Unit and their requests to ally with him.

And that’s what scared the Venture Unit the most.

Sk’jin was not only one of the largest pirating networks in the Underverse, but was the largest private pirating network. He had no connections or inner dealings with the other pirates. He was not funded by any political force or organization. His network was nameless, closed-off, and station-free. They had no base, no specified location they gathered in.

And for centuries the Venture Unit has tried to stop them, or infiltrate them. But Sk’jin has captured the agents and sent them back on their merry way over 30 times. Sometimes they called it the Khol’isa Internship and no one has ever passed.

‘Yes.’

Sk’jin takes an embarrassingly long time to realize what Ahadi has just said.

‘I mean-‘ the Mwenzini stammers. ‘I mean, uh, I’d like to stay. And learn.’

He looks so nervous, warm brown eyes wide and panicked. Like he’s not sure if Sk’jin is going to kill him or not. Or if this was all a trick or not.

And it’s not a trick or lure. Because Sk’jin isn’t interested in finding out what the Venture Unit wants from him now.

Sk’jin has never been interested in this ridiculous state of political agenda or deep-state issues or romanticized notions of espionage. Sk’jin is interested in knowing the minds of Beings. He doesn’t want to understand it, he just likes to know.

It is what brought him here so far, and it’s what Sk’jin guesses is the reason why he’s been so successful in leading a pirating network- because he didn’t have any intentions of doing so.

And right now- he just wants to know this Being- know his mind, his intentions, his actions.

Sk’jin smooshes the Mwenzini’s cheeks together the moment he recovers and places a kiss on his puckered lips.

‘You’re so precious I can’t believe this- they’re sending babies- literal babies to me,’ Sk’jin trills delightfully before he gets off with flourish.

‘Uh-‘ Ahadi looks like he’s about to argue back but also terrified that Sk’jin might turn around and maybe slice him. Sk’jin yanks him off of the sitting area and drags him towards the doorway and out to the hallway. Ahadi makes a terrified sound behind him.

‘Oh I know you’re like, 240 sols old- still a baby by my calculations,’ Sk’jin shrugs before he adds, ‘Come along- I’ll give you a tour of the place! And please- for the love of everything beautiful,- meaning my face, pick up on your acting-‘

‘Jin!’

A young voice shrilly shrieks and Sk’jin is already ready.

Out pops out a young Ožkan, glistening blue skin blushing pink around the still soft horns adorning his head from exertion, bright eyes sparkling and his hands outstretched.

Sk’jin catches him and hoists him up into the air, tail, horns, hooves and all just as the loud clopping sounds of another Ožkan comes rounding up the corner.

‘Oh- Captain,’ Mri wheezes out a greeting before glaring at her son in Sk’jin’s arms. ‘I’d like to request a direct order from you.’

‘Oh? Does it have something to do with this one?’ Sk’jin leans back away from the Ožkan’s curious hands that always aim straight for his horns.

‘Yes,’ Mri glares unimpressed at her son, ‘He refuses to bathe.’

‘Ilya!’ Sk’jin holds the lanky boy at arm’s length, leveling him with a comic reprimanding look. ‘What did I say about hygiene when you’re on my ship.’

‘That it should be everyone’s priority,’ the little Ožkan mumbles, eyes turned down.

‘Are you disobeying the laws of the ship?’

‘…no.’

‘So does that mean you’re going to bathe?’

‘…yes.’

‘Good boy- listen to your mother you hear me?’

‘Yes Jin.’

Sk’jin hands over the little Ožkan over to his mother who gives him a grateful smile and a roll of her eyes before she notices Ahadi.

‘Ah- hello! Intern?’ she waves at the Mwenzini.

‘The freshest of them all,’ Sk’jin grins. ‘Isn’t that right?’

Sk’jin could laugh because Ahadi looks frozen again but then he recovers quickly (not quick enough but hey, he was learning a little) and replies with a winning dimpled smile (that takes Sk’jin back by surprise) and says, ‘I heard great stories from the other interns- had to try and see for myself.’

Mri chuckles, hoisting Ilya on her hip properly, ‘Oh yes they had the time of their lives didn’t they Cap?’

‘Only the best,’ Sk’jin winks at Ahadi who has lost all of his nervousness and actually even winks back, dimple deepening on his cheek.

Interesting.

‘I look forward to it.’

Mri actually giggles and Ilya waves at them from his mother’s back.

‘I’d give that a solid 6 out of 10,’ Sk’jin remarks as he walks ahead, Ahadi skipping a step to catch up. ‘Don’t panic- always be prepared.’

It’s a bit cliché and honestly expected because Sk’jin can sense the nervous energy emanating from the Mwenzini in growing volume since he stepped in, so it’s easy to sidestep the slim carbon-dagger that retracts out from under Ahadi’s sleeves.

Sk’jin is quick to disarm and shove him against the nearby wall.

‘You’re going to have to try harder if you really want to kill me or get yourself killed,’ Sk’jin smiles. ‘We’re a pretty tolerant bunch here with years of experience-‘

Sk’jin deftly blocks the punch and knee jab, not breaking his speech.

‘-and I will not hesitate to leave you stranded in an isolated moon with sub-par atmospheric levels where you will die from a combination of slow asphyxiation, incineration, and dehydration. So be a good boy, and enjoy your internship until your masters pick you up or you escape during our next fuel-restock.’

Ahadi’s eyes are not filled with fear or nervousness- instead they’re filled with a sense of intrigue, some confusion, and something Sk’jin can only label as begrudging respect.

The sound of the TeorSer trigger being set to stun-mode alerts them of another presence in the hallway.

‘Captain.’

‘Ah! Ti-!’ Sk’jin steps away and beams his best smile at Ti, his Navigator. Ahadi slides off of the wall to the ground rather gracelessly.

‘Enjoying your walk?’ she asks politely, pointing her TeorSer at Ahadi. ‘Need me to handle the trash for you?’

‘Honey, it’s rude to address the intern like that!’ Sk’jin scolds with a grin before reaching down and yanking Ahadi up. ‘Ti, meet Ahadi- Ahadi, this is Ti- she knows how to kick your in 50 ways with one finger!’

Ti’s sharp jet-black eyes scans Ahadi without even attempting to mask her intention.

’51,’ she adds, ‘He’s got a little more give- more room to work with.’

Ahadi doesn’t know if he should be offended, scared, or amused. His facial expression is a combination of all.

‘Ready to launch?’ Sk’jin asks, fixing his cuffs properly before carefully rearranging his hair. Ti reaches up fixes his bangs for him while replying, ‘Yeah- we’re at green. Are we clear to leave? Or are we dumping trash?’

‘Hm,’ Sk’jin side-eyes Ahadi who is watching them carefully. ‘I don’t know- do we take out the trash Ahadi?’

Ahadi’s expression is unreadable for a fraction of a second, brown eyes blank before he looks away with a shrug and a smile and says, ‘I don’t know- seems like there’s a lot around here. Might take a while.’

‘Can I dispose of him?’ Ti asks, her tone deadpan.

‘No no,’ Sk’jin laughs pushing her forward and away. ‘I’ll come up in a bit and we can leave.’

‘If you say so.’ Ti refuses to budge, still eyeing down Ahadi.

‘Go- you worry-.’

‘Really? Worry-?’ she repeats, finally looking away from Ahadi.

‘You want “worry-” because I can say that-‘

She scoffs out a huffy laugh and walks away, middle finger high above her head.

‘Right- that was Ti,’ Sk’jin points after his Navigator. ‘She’s great!’

‘You said that they weren’t loyal to you- that they were loyal to the ship- the code,’ Ahadi blurts out. ‘That was loyalty to you.’

‘Not to me,’ Sk’jin shakes his head and crosses his arm around Ahadi’s though it’s not before handing him back the carbon-knife. ‘My crew are not loyal to me.  You see, loyalty to the ship and the Code means wanting what’s best for it- and what’s best for it,’ Sk’jin bows his head elegantly. ‘Is of course, myself.’

‘You are?’ Ahadi asks incredulously before he seems to realize what he’s just asked and looks like he’s 5 seconds from throwing himself out of the ship, eyes widened with horror.

Sk’jin laughs, shifting his arm around so that it wrapped around the Mwenzini’s waist and draws him close. He tiptoes just a little to whisper in his ear.

‘Honey, I’m the best thing you’ll ever see.’

 

*

 

Ahadi is, to an extent comic relief for Sk’jin.

He’s never been more entertained by the behavior, actions, or words of a Being the way he’s amused with the Mwenzini.

There are moments where he seems entirely capable, and in full control of his situation and surroundings. And then a moment later he plunges into confusion and extraordinary clumsiness that Ti was certain was an act for a while.

But it’s not.

Unfortunately.

Sk’jin is not amused when he looks down at the sight of the tall Mwenzini, prostrated on the ground, Ilya seated atop of him, surrounded by countless shards of an extremely expensive and rare artifact Sk’jin had been keeping for a good bargain.

‘Listen- even I’m not worth that,’ Sk’jin points at the seemingly dull looking fragments of the soot-like clay on the ground.

Ahadi sighs heavily, glancing over at Ilya who looks down at him with wide yellow eyes, a pleading look to them.

‘I guess Captain, you should punish me as you see fit.’

‘You’re very eager aren’t you?’ Sk’jin grins as the CleanBots roll in, removing the now worthless piles of ancient artifact dust on the ground.

‘Only for what you have to offer,’ he replies. It would be cheeky, if his tone wasn’t entirely deadpan.

Sk’jin laughs heartily and helps him stand before lifting Ilya into his arms and walking away.

‘Wait- you aren’t going to do anything?’ the Mwenzini looks understandably confused.

‘What’s done is done,’ Sk’jin shrugs. ‘I’ll make sure you pay though!’

But as time went on, and Ahadi started feeling more comfortable, wariness no longer stuttering his speech and behavior, his real personality started to show. And it was both amusing as well as intriguing.

For someone who grew up in the environment he did, with the history he lived in, and the involvement he had within the Venture Unit, he sure as lacked awareness in what happened in the Underverse. Not that he was entirely unaware- he just seemed thoroughly taken aback by some of the things they discussed or some of the stories exchanged inside the Bridge.

‘Why don’t you do something about it?’ he asks one day.

Sk’jin looks up from his screen, lounging on his chair at the Bridge.

‘What do you mean?’ Sk’jin inquires.

Ahadi looks troubled for a moment before he approaches Sk’jin to squat down next to him.

‘I know I lack a lot of things- experience, understanding- I have a lot to learn and I will keep on learning,’ he pauses, gnawing at his lower lip. ‘But this is something you know- you live this reality and you know how to deal with it. Don’t you want to stop it?’

Sk’jin thinks it’s commendable to be optimistic but he knows it’s not realistic.

And it wasn’t just an age or era or progress thing. Sk’jin has lived through everything. And optimism wasn’t something that got him through.

‘If you live with that mentality, you’re going to die a brokenhearted Being,’ Sk’jin says simply. ‘Life comes with a price- that you have to return it after a period of time. Peace comes with a price- even death comes with a price. Everything in life comes with a price that you have to pay- or make someone else pay. And when I do something, I do it in a way where I know I can pay the price, to the best of my abilities, without putting the ship in danger.’

Sk’jin glances out of the window of the Bridge, eyes latching onto the sight of the display of lights, bright and colourful- almost like a nebula in motion from this distance. It was anything but.

‘We’re just…going to fly past? Not do anything to help?’ Ahadi looks incredulous. ‘Those are innocent Beings! They’re being attacked for no reason!’

‘The cargo-freight under attack at this very moment carries in it raw materials and resources that the Cósăn pirating network are taking from it in order to supply the Vao’c Defence Brigade, which we all are aware are trying to overthrow their invaders who have enslaved half of their planet despite being lawfully protected under the GLA,’ Sk’jin reels off.

‘But that cargo-freight has innocent Beings in it,’ Ahadi emphasizes. ‘The result does not justify the means.’

‘And who are we to state that?’ Sk’jin asks. ‘Who are we to place judgment or decisions? If we stop them here- the Defence Brigade will lose their resources to build ships and defence weapons- entire races of Beings will be wiped out- legally, I might add,’ Sk’jin pauses before continuing, ‘Cargo-freights are operated by approximately 150 to 200 Beings. They all have families, friends, loved ones who no doubt depend on them. In fact, everyone you know or ever met is like this- we all have loved ones, we all have friends. We see beggars on the streets and we give them some of our loose change, hoping to help them- and maybe they do better with those units- or maybe they use it to buy illegal drugs and dope themselves away- what do we know?’

‘We know that there are Beings there that need our help,’ Ahadi states firmly. ‘Sk’jin, this doesn’t even require violence- we clearly outnumber and outmatch them- they would run away at once!’

‘Would you be willing to pay the price for your actions?’ Sk’jin asks. He ignores the way Ti’s head snaps up, eyes narrowing as she leans in to listen intently.

‘I would!’ he nods defiantly.

‘Then give the order,’ Sk’jin shrugs.

Ahadi does a double take and so does everyone else in the Bridge.

‘What-‘

‘If that’s what you feel- and you believe you can pay the price for it, then give the order,’ Sk’jin gestures towards the Communication Port. ‘Announce it, if you want.’

Ahadi is gaping at him, but he doesn’t look away. Then slowly, he shakes his head.

‘I can’t pay it.’ He shakes his head.

‘You can’t,’ Sk’jin agrees. ‘But I can. Ti, send a warning to the Cósăn’s, telling them to back off. Call the GLA as well- where the are they even?’

Ahadi doesn’t move but Sk’jin can feel his eyes on him as he readies the ship for battle mode. The rest of the Bridge follows through his actions quickly and without question.

‘Ahadi- you wanna man the Medic Port?’ Dariga, their highly skilled and illegally trained medic offers, standing up as well on his purely bionic limbs. ‘I think we might need a few extra hands yes?’

Ahadi blinks at last, looking back and forth between Sk’jin and Dariga before nodding and following the portly medic.

‘Why are you doing this?’ Ti asks him the moment the two leave the bridge, spiky eyebrow raised in question.

‘What do you mean?’

‘That,’ she nods in the direction of the doorway where Ahadi, ‘You know that it’s all an act right?’

Oh Sk’jin knew that all right.

It was a good act. A simple yet good act.

One that didn’t require a good player or actor.

Because it was a game Sk’jin knew how to play, and he knew how to use to his benefit.

The only difference here being Sk’jin knew the game settings but Ahadi didn’t.

The Venture Unit would never send anyone this incredibly inexperienced for no reason. No, they saw something in him that they thought they could use against Sk’jin. And it wasn’t to usurp him or overthrow his network.

The Venture Unit sent over this young Being, filled with a frustratingly stoic sense of idealism, well-intended propaganda speeches, and hopeful out look to life to influence Sk’jin and sway him to join forces with the Venture Unit.

Sk’jin wasn’t the largest pirating network because of the number of ships he commanded or the fear he evoked with his presence. It was in his presence of the literal meaning behind the word network.

Sk’jin wanted to know a lot of things.

And by knowing a lot of things, he gathered limitless data, sources, resources, and information regarding almost everything in both the Underverse and Known Universe.

And all the Venture Unit had to tell Ahadi was that Sk’jin was in a position where he could change all of that. Where he could shift the axis of this delicate balance and finally put an end to the criminal injustice, to the senseless death, and to the other Venture Unit propaganda Sk’jin doesn’t keep track of.

And Ahadi, who happened to be a genuinely well-intending Being who suffered only the ending of his planet’s brutal conquest and saw only the revival of their basic rights, was already filled with the desire to do better, and was easily roped in to push their attempt to gain access to Sk’jin’s network.

‘Are you just playing around with him?’ Ti asks carefully.

‘I’m not,’ Sk’jin replies truthfully before he can stop himself.

‘Then why keep him here? Why entertain his ideas? Why actually follow through with them?’

‘Because I want what’s best for us- for the Beings we protect in here, for the families who call all of this their home, for the places and planets and people who need us,’ Sk’jin replies. ‘For homes lost and not found.’

‘But will this help?’ Ti asks, nodding towards the battle up ahead, no longer appearing like a distant nebula as they approached it.

‘I don’t know,’ Sk’jin replies truthfully. ‘We’ve always done it like this before- just never beyond what we knew, or who we knew.’

‘Isn’t that what’s keeping us safe?’

‘If this is a change we’re going to be keeping, then it’s one that I won’t make alone,’ Sk’jin smiles at his Navigator. ‘I would hear each and every one speak.’

Ti smiles at him, head tilted, ‘So if you always knew about that, did you also always know about the fact that he’s fallen in love with you?’

Sk’jin’s head snaps up so quickly he swears he hears his neck crack.

‘What?’ he asks sharply.

‘Ahadi. He’s fallen in love with you- or well, is falling in love with you.’

‘…you say that too easily.’ Sk’jin waves aside her comment dismissively. How absurd. Sk’jin makes sure that their shield levels are at maximum.

‘Because it’s easy to see. You’re telling me you don’t see it?’ it’s her turn to sound incredulous. ‘He’s always coughing around you. It’s funny, and embarrassing to witness.’

‘What do you mean he’s coughing- he’s clearing his throat- got an infection or somethin’,’ Sk’jin really doesn’t understand why Ti was pushing this. It made no sense. ‘’sides, he’s always coughing.’

‘Yeah- in front of you. It’s his nervous tick, ing Spaces,’ she rolls her eyes before getting up.

‘And where the d’you think you’re goin’?’ Sk’jin calls after her with annoyance.

‘Somewhere I don’t have to witness your stupid !’ she calls back before adding, ‘And maybe check up on your boyfriend’s overzealous !’

‘Not my boyfriend!’ Sk’jin screams back.

 

 

*

 

 

And now Sk’jin wants to know.

And maybe he’s not doing this in the most advisable way, but he’s determined and the Khol’isa have always lived a rather reckless life, being nearly immortal and all that . But Sk’jin has never been known for his subtlety even though he can be when the situation needed it. So he’s extremely obvious, to the point where Ti actually physically leaves the room whenever Sk’jin leans over against Ahadi flirtatiously, fingers trailing up his skin. He’ll press up excessively close, lips moving close to his ears.

Ahadi begins to stammer, as per usual, escaping with panicked smiles and an obvious comic cry for an explanation as he hides behind various members of the crew who were too used to Sk’jin’s random antics to care. But Sk’jin never gains any evidence of any attraction and so he proudly states to Ti, gloating over her mistake.

She just levels him with a blank stare that looks a little patronizing. It irks Sk’jin greatly.

‘Spaces, you really have no idea do you,’ she sighs heavily before she reaches up to grapple his neck and put him in a headlock.

‘ like that don’t work with decent folk,’ she grunts as Sk’jin tries to struggle against her hold. It was futile of course- Ti was ridiculously strong and Sk’jin isn’t really trying either.

‘Who the are decent folk?’ Sk’jin wheezes out, back aching from the angle he’s bent at. ‘Sounds fake-‘

She squeezes tighter, making Sk’jin actually squeak.

‘Uh-‘

Ahadi walks in, brown eyes widening a little before narrowing. He takes a careful step back, ‘I uh- will come back?’

‘It’s fine,’ Sk’jin tries to smile but okay, was Ti actually trying to kill him? ‘Ti and I were, you know-‘ he clears his throat with difficulty. ‘-just fooling around.’

Ti releases him, shoving him towards the Mwenzini who catches him and sets him upright at once.

‘What’s up intern?’ she grins.

It was funny because Ahadi has been with them for nearly 5 sols at this point, but Ti and a few others still liked to call him intern; either just to fool around, or sometimes remind everyone exactly who he was. Trust was not easily gained, and neither was it freely given. It was earned, and though in the past 5 sols, Ahadi has managed to win over and gain almost everyone’s trust and respect, a healthy level of wariness and caution still existed. And it would probably remain so as well.

‘I found something,’ he reports grimly.

‘…is it my collection of Heliords because I swear it’s just a hobby,’ Ti cracks a wide smile.

‘Your what-‘ Ahadi is distracted for a moment before Ti smacks him upside head.

OW-!

‘Stop whining- what did you find?’

Ahadi rubs at the side of his head, the skin on his nape actually turning red from the force of Ti’s smack. Sk’jin coos and presses his hand over the spot, soothing the sting gently. Ahadi actually leans closer, turning his body away from Ti’s small and powerful form.

It’s funny, seeing these two tall Beings attempting to put space between themselves and a Being who if really measured properly, could barely look over their shoulders.

‘Have you guys ever been to Orvan?’

‘Orvan? It’s in Trunga right?’ Ti asks.

‘Orvan?’ Sk’jin doesn’t register that his hand is still caressing Ahadi’s hair, fingers combing through the now, thankfully, longer grey strands. ‘Nopes.’

‘Eh,’ he shrugs, ‘Not surprising-‘

It’s Sk’jin’s turn to smack him on the side of the head and Ahadi stands by the opposite wall, at a clear distance away from Sk’jin and Ti.

‘Anyways- just received a message from Açkın- more like Bjegli received a message from Açkın- and it was...’ Ahadi looks greatly troubled.

Açkın was one of their “free-lancers” as Sk’jin referred to them. They were the equivalent of Venture Unit agents that roamed about, going through different networks and working mainly in infiltration and information gathering.

Bjegli on the other hand was part of Sk’jin’s tech crew. They had picked him up a few sols ago, barely alive, having escaped the great slave-wars of his planet’s federation through, ironically, a slaver-ship. He was a brilliant mind and Sk’jin was quick to take him in. They came to learn the terrors of his federation and respected his wishes to be taken as far away as possible. He now lead the technical team and was crucial to any large-party “excursions” they initiated. 

‘What is it?’

‘He claims that Bjegli’s family is still alive- and that he saw them being taken into Orvan.’

Sk’jin would have doubted this information if it weren’t for the fact that it came from Açkın.

‘Why Orvan? That makes no sense,’ Ti frowns.

‘Yeah- that’s what I asked too but-‘ Ahadi looks beyond disturbed at this point, ‘Do…do you know about the Isbahaysiga Alliance?’

Sk’jin is already shaking his head.

‘We’re not going anywhere near the Alliance,’ Sk’jin says at once.

‘So you know what’s going on but you won’t do anything?!’ Ahadi demands. ‘This isn’t even a random thing- this is Bjegli- this is his family- and it’s not just that! You don’t need justification or a connection to want to do the right thing-‘

‘Stop being such a cliché protagonist,’ Sk’jin snaps.

‘A what?!’

Ahadi had a quick temper, easily riled up if you knew where to attack him.

‘You’re just like every other protagonist that is a massive hit for some reason- unreasonably emotional but it’s excusable because they come from a place of honour and well-intention- well-intention doesn’t save out here!’ Sk’jin retorts back just as quickly. ‘We’re not involving ourselves in this because this is something we cannot afford to meddle in.’

Ahadi exhales out heavily, eyes narrowed as he studies Sk’jin.

‘I know you say we always have to pay a price- that we need to be aware of what we’re paying for and with what,’ Ahadi states. ‘But I have seen you make countless decisions and perform countless actions that goes against what you say!’

‘Don’t ing tell me about my own decisions-‘

‘-you keep yourself in this heightened position- as though you know everything, and yeah maybe you do,’ Ahadi shrugs, brown eyes flaring. ‘You’ve lived longer than all of us- I can see why you would think the way you do- see things the way you do-‘

‘-because I know-‘

‘I’m not saying you don’t!’ Ahadi hisses back. ‘I am saying that it’s stopping you from doing what you could do- you claim you know all of these things, you have the answer and prediction for everything that could possibly take place- yet you never use it to your advantage. You just let it be- and for what? You claim the crew is loyal to the ship- to the Bridge, the code- it’s bull- they’re loyal to you- do you know why I’m so sure of this? Because I’m loyal to you!’

Sk’jin takes a physical step back.

‘I see the decisions you make, and yes, they’re for the benefit of the ship, for the Beings here. You’re more than just an asset needed for this ship- you said you were the best thing for this ship but you aren’t,’ Ahadi spits out. ‘If we were really discussing who is the most important it’s Ti- or Nambike, but the crew are not loyal to them- they’re loyal to you-‘

‘Did you know that the Venture Unit is in league with the Alliance- that they profit off of the cruelty and oppression the Alliance weaves throughout the Universe?’ Sk’jin demands. ‘I don’t know what you were told, but that’s the hard truth. And we’re not going anywhere near that because the Alliance is bigger than you can imagine- there are things bigger than just hoping to do the right thing. So yeah- I want consequential meaning to motivate me to action- because if I do take action, I need to account for the other lives I might be altering as a result of my involvement- of our involvement. I need to account everyone’s lives involved here- and how each of them are going to affect other lives- so no. I am not going anywhere near here. Bjegli is free to do as he pleases and he knows this. Because he respects the code- we do not challenge anything larger than us”.’

‘So will you tell him face-to-face-‘

‘I already did and I will. Again,’ Sk’jin cuts across.

‘You’re being a coward-‘

‘That’s not going to work,’ Sk’jin snaps. ‘You do not live life thinking about bravery, about courage, about what’s good or bad, what’s ethically correct or not- you think about survival.’

‘That’s quite the saying to live by,’ Ahadi retorts, ‘-is that how your people survived-!‘

Sk’jin doesn’t even have to touch Ahadi.

The Khol’isa lengthens suddenly, his entire being emanating heat and his features pulling. A bright liquid flame seems to erupt around his horns and his eyes are glaring red. Ahadi is pressed to the wall but he’s not looking away.

No, he’s challenging Sk’jin’s anger head on, his own eyes bright and furious.

‘Do not-‘ Sk’jin hisses, voice layered and low-pitched. ‘-speak of it as though you were there.’

‘Captain.’ Ti says in a low warning tone behind him.

Sk’jin takes a step back, returning to normal and Ahadi slips down the wall a little from the lack of pressure pushing him. Sk’jin takes a careful and deep breath, sweeping his hair back around his horns that still felt hot to the touch even under his own skin.

‘Tone down the hero-complex,’ Sk’jin says simply. ‘It’ll get you killed.’

Ahadi walks out without another word.

‘I normally agree with you,’ Ti begins and Sk’jin already doesn’t want to hear it.

‘Do you think I was too harsh?’

‘Yes,’ Ti shrugs and adds, ‘Besides, he doesn’t want to be a hero- sure he’s a little naïve, and just because he wants to see something good done, just because he wants to see something change for the better, doesn’t mean he’s an idiot- it doesn’t mean he’s not realistic. He is realistic- he’s young and a little rash but he’s smart. He knows what he’s going. He’s not just an idiot.’

‘I’m not saying he’s an idiot-‘

‘-well you’re making him feel like one. You do realize what you’re doing right?’ Ti raises an eyebrow. ‘You’re in denial. And this is how you’re handling it. You’re pushing him away.’

‘This has nothing to do with how I feel about him-‘

‘But it does,’ Ti shrugs dismissively. ‘I know how you feel about the Alliance- but this is Bjegli we’re talking about. Stop thinking out of your for a moment and go cool down.’

‘I don’t think-‘

‘I said go cool down, ing Spaces your eyes are still glaring,’ she squints looking away.

Sk’jin curses and storms out.

He doesn’t remember the last time he was this upset. He ends up pacing for hours, his mind abuzz with thoughts that basically spell out !?????!!!!!!!?????????!!!!!! with a lot of anger. He only stops when he gets a cramp on one leg and he instead ends up limping aggressively out of the Engines Room, grimacing in greeting at his crew who know when to keep their distance from their Captain. This in turn makes Sk’jin mad, and he huffs off. He’s thinking of maybe cooking something, angrily mumbling ingredients under his breath when he nearly trips over Ilya.

‘Jin!’

‘Spaces- didn’t see y’there,’ Sk’jin grumbles as he rights himself before he looks down at the young carefully. ‘What are you doing down here?’

‘I am not down here, I’m in the middle of being here, I am headed up!’

Children had so much cheek these days. It almost brings a smile on Sk’jin’s face. But he masks his anger for a moment, not wanting to mar anything for the young Ožkan.

‘…right- so why are you in the middle of being here? Shouldn’t you be in bed?’ Sk’jin asks sternly, tapping his foot.

‘I will! But I’m going for my secret meeting!’ he whispers in a conspiring tone.

Sk’jin crouches down, lowering his tone as well.

‘A secret! In my ship?’ Sk’jin pretends to be aghast. ‘Whatever do you do?’

‘It’s a secret!’ Ilya giggles. ‘Just between me, and Ahadi!’

‘Is that so?’ Sk’jin’s interest perks up.

‘Yeah!’

‘Well then- run along and make sure you get back to your mother,’ Sk’jin nods down the hall. ‘And be more quiet if it’s a secret!’

Ilya nods obediently and salutes Sk’jin before clopping off just as noisily.

Naturally, Sk’jin follows.

‘You’re late,’ Ahadi scolds at once.

Ilya giggles as he clops faster and there’s a grunt of a sound. As though Ilya threw himself at the Mwenzini, gigging in the process.

‘I ran into Jin! Like really ran into him!’

‘Oh?’

‘Yeah! And I told him I had a secret meeting to attend!’

‘Is that so?’

And Sk’jin already knows that Ahadi knows he’s there. But he doesn’t go away. Instead he stays and continues to listen.

‘Hm! Do you like horns?’

‘I think your horns are cool and pretty.’

‘Not as pretty as Jin’s,’ Ilya says in a matter of fact tone. ‘But almost there.’

‘Almost?’ Sk’jin can hear laughter in Ahadi’s tone.

‘Yeah! I’ll beat him when I grow older and become captain!’

‘Wow! That’s so cool! You’ll be a great captain,’ Ahadi laughs.

‘I’ll be better than Jin!’

‘How will you be better than Jin?’ Ahadi asks.

‘Anyone can sleep anytime they want,’ Ilya replies gravely. ‘And I will buy a big moon!’

‘Why a moon?’

‘So that my mum has a house to live in.’

‘Can I come live in that house too?’

‘Don’t you have a house?’

‘This is my house- but I think I want another one too.’

Sk’jin doesn’t know why he suddenly wants to cry.

Ahadi knew of his reality, of the many realities that existed within the Universe.

And just because one was different from the other, didn’t mean it wasn’t as real- or as important.

Just because Ahadi didn’t suffer through the oppression of his people didn’t mean he didn’t know how it felt. It didn’t mean he never saw how broken his people became- it meant he could see the potential for them to heal, and to create a better future, a stronger growth, a safe place for those who would come later.

Just because he didn’t see the gritty dirty aspects of the Venture Unit didn’t mean he didn’t know enough to understand how so many aspects of the Universe worked. It didn’t mean it discredited his thoughts and ideas.

And just because he still saw hope, and still saw good, and could still see a possibility in the future, where a better reality could exist, didn’t mean he wasn’t aware of what he would have to pay in order to see it through.

The only difference between their way of thinking was that Ahadi held on to the idea of a home, whereas Sk’jin long abandoned his, trapped in neon nightmares.

‘We’re going to Orvan,’ Sk’jin states as he walks into the Bridge a few hours later. ‘Let’s see what we can do eh?’

The Bridge falls into silence.

‘The Alliance has taken a lot from all of us in here. Be it directly or through what we have seen or heard. While we cannot change what has been done, or cannot hope to alter much within our current capacities, we can and will create a way to return Bjegli to his family, and in turn free those we can.’ Sk’jin leans against the back of his seat, pushing back his hair elegantly. ‘For anyone who doesn’t wish to participate, as usual I will not force you, for those who choose to stay, thank you.’

‘The Alliance as in the Isbahaysiga Alliance?’ Nambike asks carefully.

‘Are there any other Alliances that we know of?’ Sk’jin winks.

Ahadi simply strides forward, away from his station and practically lifts Sk’jin into the air with the force of his embrace. Sk’jin can’t help but squeak in surprise, and to his extreme chagrin, discovers that he’s blushing. The entire Bridge erupts in cheer and to Sk’jin’s surprise, the enthusiasm mounts. Sk’jin is embraced by a majority of the Bridge crew and he doesn’t know how to feel.

He knows that his crew aren’t idiots. That they well understood what all of this could trigger. How no matter how much they plan everything, they would meet instances where they would have no control over any of the things they encounter. He knows each and every single Being in there, what steps they took, what steps they were forced to make, and what steps they couldn’t take, to get here.

‘My criminal record is going to have its own individual database at this point,’ Sk’jin grumbles though he’s smiling as Nambike, in a rare display of affection, hugs him. Then true to her fashion, she punches Sk’jin (he’d been expecting it, so he’s not quite winded as her fist meets his side) playfully.

‘Eh- you enjoy it,’ Nambike shrugs with a grin as she walks out of the Bridge, clearly to alert her platoon. Sk’jin doesn’t know how to handle the looks of excitement or of what he used to call “naïve protagonist expression” on the faces of his crew. So he quietly exits the Bridge instead.

He’s thinking of maybe taking a bath- he wasn’t exactly at his best, not having performed his daily cosmetic and hygienic routine. But he’s stopped by familiar footsteps hurrying behind him, and a pair of arms enveloping him into a hug that said more than words could.

‘If I get killed or arrested I’m beating your into a black-hole,’ Sk’jin manages to say, patting Ahadi’s arms around him, eyes threatening to close. This was a risky decision; too risky, in fact. And it’s stupid because Sk’jin can predict this- he can predict it down to the point where everything would go wrong- how everyone would react- and how much they would have to pay, how much they would have to lose. But with the sound of cheer from the Bridge behind him, and the warmth pressed to his back, the very notion of worry completely fades out.

And Sk’jin would be angry at himself, but he can’t.

‘That won’t happen.’ Ahadi grins, his smile too close to Sk’jin’s.

‘Oh yeah? What makes you think so?’ Sk’jin can’t even attempt to be flirty at this moment because he’s suddenly too caught up, too aware-

‘Because I know you,’ Ahadi whispers quietly, like it’s a secret.

And he’s right.

They discover more than they bargained for in Orvan and though Sk’jin doesn’t get killed or caught, he does obtain a few other notes to his criminal record. A Class 2 Arson, a Class 3 attempted murder, and a Class 2 defamation of the Prime Minister of the Orvan State of Tui.

But Sk’jin is also proven right.

Because they were unable to do what they originally set out to do.

Ahadi’s head is lowered, helping Sk’jin with the burn on his arm from the fire the latter had started as a means of escaping from the burning Tui parliament house.

‘It’s not your fault. Some things aren’t meant to work out,’ Sk’jin tells him gently. ‘None of us were caught, none of us died. And Bjegli stayed behind out of his own volition. He made his own decision.’

‘But they weren’t there.’

‘No. But what’s left now is to respect Bjegli’s decision.’

‘You’re not surprised.’

‘I’m not.’

‘Because you knew this would happen?’

‘I cannot always know what’s going to happen- nothing we do can ever be predicted accurately,’ Sk’jin tells him honestly.

‘But you knew.’

Sk’jin nods.

‘Why?’

Sk’jin chuckles.

‘I’m not a hero, or a protagonist.’ Sk’jin studies the burn on his forearm. It was healing well enough. ‘I am just living- not even aiming to do good, just simply out of selfishness and the need to know more. I do what I want to do, because it’s what I want to do. Nothing more, nothing less.’

Ahadi presses his lips together in a thin line. Even like this his dimples show. Patting him on the cheek, Sk’jin jumps off of the Medical Bed.

‘But that’s not you.’

Sk’jin laughs before leaning up to kiss the Mwenzini on his cheek, poking at where he knew his dimples were. Sk’jin doesn’t want to sound cliché but it is what it is.

‘You don’t know me.’

‘I do,’ Ahadi says earnestly. ‘And I will make you see it.’

‘See what?’

Ahadi smiles softly, looking down briefly as he says, ‘You.’

 

*

 

It’s always been described as the colour for passion.

For lust.

For love.

But Sk’jin doesn’t see it that way. And it’s definitely not what he sees either.  

Instead it is gone. The bleeding edges of his vision, itching its way to paint his sight in the nightmarish hues of the Bloodmoon. It ebbs away into something else.

Something calm.

And it’s not as though Sk’jin finds himself “falling in love” or slipping into some fuzzy state of near delirious giddiness. He doesn’t suddenly look at Ahadi and see a new light. He doesn’t look at the Mwenzini and come to a sudden state of realization.

And even when Ahadi corners him in his own room, his expression unfathomable and his words quiet, Sk’jin still feels that calm.

‘Are…are you just toying with me?’ he asks carefully.

‘I’m not,’ Sk’jin replies. ‘You would know if I was.’

‘Would I?’

Sk’jin falls backwards with a groan. His back making popping sounds. He pats the bed next to him and Ahadi leans back, their arms brushing against each other’s.

‘I know why you’re here,’ Sk’jin states simply. ‘The real reason- not just the “internship”.’

Ahadi has greatly improved in his reactions and skills- either that or he’s already suspected Sk’jin to know.

‘If you did, why didn’t you drop me?’

‘At first I thought it’d be interesting to see,’ Sk’jin confesses. ‘I thought it’d be interesting to see the way you handled it, to see what you might see- knowledge, understanding, information- all of these are the same thing- the same idea basically, just seen through a different perspective. This perception, filtered through a Being, is what creates variations in thoughts, it’s what creates variety of information- it allows me to breakdown the data, and predict how it will be handled.’

‘So- I was just a study?’

‘Something like that,’ Sk’jin replies honestly. ‘But…well, you’re here now. You haven’t left, I haven’t kicked you out.’

Ahadi chuckles under his breath.

‘I know you know,’ he says quietly. ‘I know that you were trying to figure it out. It was probably Ti wasn’t it?’

Sk’jin exhales out slowly.

‘Yeah.’

‘So you weren’t playing with me?’

Sk’jin turns his head to find that Ahadi is already watching him. He looks away for a moment before rolling over to his side.

‘I…-‘ Sk’jin doesn’t know how to say any of this.

‘Can I kiss you?’

Sk’jin gawks for a moment, and he doesn’t know why he’s nodding.

Ahadi leans in and Sk’jin is caught mid-inhale, their lips pressing soft yet firm. Ahadi’s eyes are curious, hopeful, and expectant.

He’s asking a question, and despite not knowing the answer, Sk’jin responds with his lips.

Sk’jin is shocked at the way he completely loses his sense of self.

‘Wait-‘ Sk’jin doesn’t even push the Mwenzini away but Ahadi is quick to sit up, putting space between them.

‘I’m not-‘ Sk’jin can’t believe that he’s stammering. He sits up as well, dizzy with the warmth he was feeling, the way his body tingled pleasantly and for a shockingly clear moment, his vision is clear and untainted. ‘I uh-‘

Ahadi just smiles, leaning his cheek against Sk’jin’s- a gentle kiss of warmth, skin, and breath.

‘Yeah, I know,’ he smiles. ‘I’m sorry for making you uncomfortable.’

‘It’s- it’s not that-‘ Sk’jin can’t believe he’s stammering. Ahadi just smiles, nodding in understanding.

Sk’jin has never felt romantic interest in Beings- he’s never felt physical attraction despite knowing how to draw physical attraction. Despite knowing how other Beings were attracted to him. He knew what to do, how to behave, which postures to execute, to draw the attention of any and every one. He’s never met another Khol’isa outside of their ruined planet, so he doesn’t know how it was for them. It was never a thing Sk’jin felt an inclination for.

And it’s not as though he’s never experienced it. He has. But Sk’jin came to realize that it gave him nothing, and he felt nothing. Instead after a while, he felt wrong – and that was certainly not what he wanted. But kissing felt nice- and it wasn’t in the same sense or with the same intention as most would initiate or seek it. He could fake it, if needed. He could pretend to imitate lust because that was easy- because lust is self-generated and most Beings were too wrapped up in their own lust to determine whether or not it was consensual or even reciprocated by the other party.

Sk’jin kisses in trust- in a way that represented hope, patience, and care.

And it’s never out of lust or love.

When Sk’jin looks at Ahadi, he doesn’t feel the blushing rose of “first love”, he doesn’t see the flares of an all-consuming passion.

What he sees are warm brown eyes, open and trusting, still inexperienced and untainted by the decay of hope and expectation. Ahadi was so young, yet so old- his presence mutes the tint in Sk’jin’s vision. Cooling it down to a softened and pleasant desaturation.

‘I know,’ Ahadi says again quietly before chuckling a little, ‘And by the way, you’re going to have to do better than that if you really want to cause the effect you want.’

‘Effect?’

‘The whole y-seduction thing,’ Ahadi grins, his dimples making an appearance. ‘It’s…eh.’

‘The does that mean-‘ Sk’jin starts throwing hands.

‘-it feels a little too trash-novel like!’ Ahadi ducks Sk’jin jabs with a laugh, falling back into the bed. Sk’jin crawls next to him, keeping himself elevated on his forearms.

‘Are you saying I’m too dramatic? It’s always worked,’ Sk’jin can feel his ears burning.

‘I don’t think you have to do anything more,’ Ahadi shrugs.

‘Yeah well- it worked on you,’ Sk’jin deadpans.

‘I knew you were trying to test and see how I felt. It was an act,’ Ahadi shrugs. ‘It was uncomfortable but funny. Besides, that’s not why…why I chose to come here.’

Sk’jin faceplants on the bed, not sure where to look.

‘Why are you here?’ Sk’jin can’t help himself from asking, voice muffled.

He feels a hand brushing through his hair, fingers carefully drawing over the outline of his horns. Sk’jin turns his head around and he can’t read the expression in Ahadi’s eyes.

‘Because you are you.’

 

*

 

Nothing changes really. Except sometimes Sk’jin finds himself curled around Ahadi in the Bridge, the Mwenzini dozing off against his shoulder. Sometimes he’ll carefully card through his hair, smiling in greeting as warm brown eyes blink sleepily at him. Sometimes he’ll feel a kiss on his cheek and Sk’jin catches a playful wink sent in his direction as the Mwenzini lopes off.

Sometimes Sk’jin catches Ahadi watching him, his expression beyond fond- beyond loyal, beyond anything Sk’jin has ever witnessed.

And he wishes he could give that to him, return the same.

‘You don’t have to,’ Ahadi looks disturbed when one day Sk’jin confesses as much. ‘I’m not waiting for you to do any of these- I’m not expecting anything. I just…’ he takes Sk’jin’s hand in his. ‘I am so honoured- that you trust me. That I am here, with you. You are you, and all of who you are, is what I respect, and I cherish.’

Sk’jin suddenly feels incredibly young and foolish- he feels as though he’s part of the trash-romance novels Ti secretly loved to read.

‘And you are who you are and you want things- need things- I can’t give those to you-‘ Sk’jin tries. ‘I can’t even love Beings the way you’re supposed to-

‘-because it’s not yours to give,’ Ahadi stops him, making his way to kneel by his feet and taking both his hands between his darker ones. ‘Sk’jin, I meant it- who you are, is all of you. You are whole and complete- and just because there are others who are different than you, doesn’t make you incomplete- doesn’t mean I think you’re incomplete.’

‘You’re incredibly woke for someone who couldn’t accept that fact that the Venture Unit funded the Alliance.’

Ahadi gives him a really? look before he bursts out into laughter.

‘Trust me on this,’ Ahadi gives him his favorite smile- where both his dimples could be seen. Sk’jin removes his hands from Ahadi’s and carefully cups his face.

And maybe it was a mistake, because Sk’jin does trust him.

The Venture Unit comes around, poking about until Sk’jin corners one of the Division Heads and his bodyguards in an eatery in the Ghandhar System.

‘What is it.’ Sk’jin demands, not sparing his usual smile and greeting on the Division Head. The Head is gaping at him, drink dribbling out of his mouth unattractively as he tries not to jump in fright at having Sk’jin suddenly seated on the table next to him.

‘Oh uh-‘

‘Hello!’ Ahadi greets as he walks in, waving a hand.

The Division Head is trying his best to recover but Ahadi doesn’t give him a chance.

‘Here is my final report, as well as my formal letter of resignation,’ he says politely.

‘And adding to that I would like to say, again, that no, I don’t want to open my network to you,’ Sk’jin smiles beatifically for a second before getting up with a flourish and exiting the place as magnificently as he had entered it.

Ahadi grins at him, sun warm on his tanned skin, his eyes twinkling. Sk’jin feels as though they were children running about the market but he doesn’t care. Or at least he tries not to.

Nothing changes inside the ship either. Everyone had long accepted Ahadi and there wasn’t even a process of initiation. He was just there. And it made perfect sense.

But Sk’jin can’t enjoy it for too long. Because it was starting to get difficult to differentiate the nightmares from reality. Increasingly so.

And as usual Sk’jin pressed on, hoping that he’d be able to will it away.

‘You never learn,’ Nambike snorts when Sk’jin groans, rubbing at the base of his horns where they throbbed in pain. ‘It happens, without fail, like clockwork and you always freak out and wonder if you’re unwell. You’ve never been sick and yet you insist on getting every treatment from the medics.’

‘Don’t attack me like this on my own in’ ship.’ Sk’jin gratefully accepts the pain-killer from Dariga who is also chuckling under his breath. ‘I’ll kick you out.’

‘With what, your fevered ?’ Nambike scoffs.

‘Ahadi they’re being mean!’ Sk’jin whines at the Mwenzini who, having never experienced Sk’jin’s autophagocytosis, was in a sort of stunned state of research. Never has Sk’jin seen anyone more intrigued and horrified at the same time when he explained the general process.

‘You basically degenerate back into a cell?’

‘I guess you could say that it’s my-‘

‘-oh Spaces don’t-‘

‘-cell-ing point!’

Ahadi looks up from the screen he was perusing, Ilya seated on his shoulders.

‘I mean- I guess most would agree that you do have a hot -‘

‘There are children present-‘

‘I most certainly did not mean it in that way-‘

‘Can you and your boyfriend not do this here-‘

‘NOT MY BOYFRIEND-‘

But within a few days Sk’jin can barely stand without wanting to collapse so he guesses it’s not the best idea to prolong this any longer than he should and so gets ready. And by getting ready meaning he finally uses his bed for its intended purpose.

To go to sleep.

Or at least, what the Khol’isa understood as sleep.

With some difficulty Sk’jin prepares himself for the inevitable autophagocytosis. Even his hair was falling in thick chunks and he could barely stand to look at himself. And as usual, Nambike is there to help him out. But this time Ahadi is there as well- and so is Ilya.

‘I’ll be here,’ Ahadi teases, ‘A little older, but then again, not as old as you-!’ he dodges Sk’jin’s weak kick.

Ilya grins at them from the doorway.

‘Right,’ Sk’jin can feel the reddish burn of fever covering his eyes and he doesn’t want to remember Ahadi like this. Doesn’t want the Bloodmoon to taint the warm brown of his eyes into something else. ‘I’ll see you guys soon- don’t up. If I wake up in prison I’ll kill all of you.’

Ilya makes a sad face, innocence and confusion on his face.

‘Oh Spaces,’ Nambike huffs out, walking over to the young Ožkan with a grimace aimed at Sk’jin. ‘Go get your melting fixed already- no need to scar innocent eyes.’

‘Yeah, love you too darlin’,’ Sk’jin waves, leaning back into his bedding.

She flips him off, not even looking back.

‘You’re nervous,’ he remarks, sitting on the side of the bed.

‘Yeah well,’ Sk’jin removes his robes and carefully folds it over the side of his chair. ‘A lot can happen- be it in a second, a minute- an hour. Or absolutely nothing will happen.’

‘What are you more afraid of?’

Sk’jin brushes back his thin hair, nervously feeling the base of his horns.

‘It’s the permanence of waiting,’ Sk’jin looks over at the Mwenzini. ‘That moment of agitation, anticipation- just stretched on.’

‘Is that how it is when you sleep?’

Sk’jin nods and also shrugs.

‘It’s hard to explain really.’

They stay in silence for a while.

‘I’ll miss you.’

‘It’ll be like, 2 sols tops,’ Sk’jin grins. He’s still unable to read the look in his eyes.

Ahadi carefully brushes back his hair, fingers lingering around the smooth texture of his horns. It feels nice, soothing and relaxing.

‘You’re gonna keep growing your hair right?’ Sk’jin teases, reaching up to take his hand.

‘Oh yeah,’ he grins looking back at Sk’jin, his gaze unwavering and trusting. ‘Make you swoon at the sight of my hair when you get back.’

Sk’jin laughs though it’s heavy in his chest. Ahadi looks worried.

‘I swear- get the out, it’s normal,’ Sk’jin waves him off with a roll of his eyes despite being instantly nauseous in the process.

Ahadi just smiles, dimples forming deep on his cheeks before he leans in a little before he seems to reconsider and backs away.

‘I would like a goodnight kiss though,’ Sk’jin quips, attempting a wink.

Ahadi shakes his head, laughing low under his breath before he leans all the way in.

The lights overhead blocks Sk’jin from seeing Ahadi’s expression before their lips touch. Sk’jin only sees the familiar outline of the Mwenzini but he doesn’t have to see him to know that he’s smiling. He can feel it against his lips and it makes Sk’jin smile.

When Ahadi pulls back he is smiling down at Sk’jin with that same fondness, laced a little with exasperation and an expression Sk’jin isn’t entirely sure how to label. Instead he reaches up to feel at his dimples with a fond chuckle and pushes him off with a flick on his forehead.

‘I’ll see you when I’m beautiful again,’ Sk’jin laughs as Ahadi gets up.

‘Is that your way of getting me to tell you that you’re always beautiful?’ Ahadi asks, laughing as he looks back.

‘Is it working?’ Sk’jin has never heard Ahadi compliment him on his looks.

Ever.

Ahadi stands by the doorway, dimpled smile on place, shaking his head.

‘You’re gonna have to work harder than that Captain, I have a very specific aesthetic.’

Sk’jin manages to lift a finger at him before the door slides shut.

Sk’jin continues to laugh under his breath as the room is slowly bathed in darkness. All of the power directed towards the room is cut off and slowly the air starts thinning. Sk’jin understands why some might find it creepy seeing as Sk’jin had to literally die for this process to take place, but it’s as easy as…well,- as easy as falling asleep.

It’s not painful- at least not for the Khol’isa. They knew pain all too well. Besides, it wasn’t as though he wasn’t already dying.

Every other time he’s done this, it’s never been like this. And by this, Sk’jin isn’t entirely sure what he means by it either. It was just different. As though this time, when he woke up, things would be different.

And he’s not sure if it’s the whole dying thing getting to his head but there’s a sort of half-formed but very determined notion that grips his mind as the feverish pitch of his entire being rises up several knots. Maybe the Venture Unit were successful in their attempt to influence Sk’jin- or maybe this was always meant to be. No living thing can exist and not evolve- not be subjected to change.

And maybe this was Sk’jin’s change.

‘I-I promise-,’ Sk’jin mumbles out loud. ‘I promise you,- that I’ll make everything right again when I come back. I’ll even be the in’ hero if that’s what’s needed.’

He exhales slowly, closing his eyes and giving himself into the burn of the fever that burns from within his very soul. Sk’jin slips into the reddish haze of his mind, his body stilling and his mind slipping until a familiar colour overwhelms him.

It is the heat of a burn, the burn of a screaming throat, the silent scream of a dying sun, the death of the familiar warmth of their skin.

It is the fragrance of something blossoming under the summer sun, the flavour of giddy laughter under a neon sign-post, the reflection of a bonfire late at night.

It is the softness of their lips against yours, hesitance but desperate as they try to convey what their words can’t.

It is the edge of the shadows that crawl out from under their hand, reaching out to you, knowing that you cannot hold on.

It is the broken smile on an ashen face, pain and loss etched liked tattoos on their skin.

It is their absence; their pulse no longer beating against yours, the music of their heart silenced and hollow.

It is the price paid; doubled tripled. Heavy and ever growing.

It is pain; bitter and ever gnawing.

It is anger; destructive and purifying.

It is death; ever-lurking and drawing.

The glare of the Bloodmoon erupts around him in full strength and Sk’jin steps foot inside Khol’isa again.

But unlike before, he knows that when he wakes up from this ancient nightmare, he would see them again. And when he returns, he would make everything right.

After all, Sk’jin thinks, his Being dissipating and turning to ash, the Khol’isa never break their promises.

‘And I’ll miss you too.’

 

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

It’s early in the morning.

But then again. It always is early here.

A tidal-locked planet only gave you so much option in term of weather.

Yoongi sits up, his back sore and cold. But at least he’s not wet or damp. Trying to sleep while your mattress is wet was the grossest and most depressing thing you could experience.

Exiting the tent, Yoongi scans his surroundings and immediately notices Jimin by the side of the encampment, facing a clearing that overlooked a valley below.

Jimin barely slept, staying up and only lightly dozing off. Yoongi notices how it’s normally with him being around and tries not to dwell on it too much. It was cold this morning, and Jimin was still only dressed in the clothes they had found him in. stepping back into his tent, Yoongi grabs a blanket and makes his way towards Jimin.

He carefully touches Jimin on his arm, hoping not to alarm him. Jimin doesn’t start, only looking mildly surprised.

There’s a deep emotion in his eyes- one of nostalgia, of longing.

‘It’s cold,’ Yoongi says, unintentionally rather gruffly. Jimin’s expression changes to one of amused confusion. Yoongi pretends to shiver and points at the blanket again. Jimin smiles, clearly in thanks and wraps the blanket around himself in a secure manner.

‘Hey sunshine,’ Yoongi says as he sits next to Jimin.

‘Hei s-sunshhrine?’ Jimin gives him a small wave, something he picked up no doubt from observing them all.

It makes Yoongi smile and he shakes his head.

‘Sunshine,’ he says, pointing at Jimin. And then back to himself, ‘Yoongi.’

Jimin shakes his head, expression confused as though wondering how thick could Yoongi be not to get his name till now.

‘Jimin,’ he points at himself and then at Yoongi, ‘Yoongi.’

Pretending to be serious, Yoongi repeats: ‘Sunshine.’

But before Jimin can argue him again Yoongi points at him and gives Jimin a questioning look. Jimin gives him a narrow eyed look of confusion before slowly saying, ‘Amic?’

Yoongi nods, pointing and says, ‘Mickey.’

Jimin is beyond confused. But then Yoongi carefully breaks down the names and gives him the nicknames- some not so flattering or meaningful, while others were plays on their names. It takes a moment but Yoongi sees the way Jimin’s eyes light up. Making a sound of realization Jimin nods enthusiastically.

‘Sunshine.’ Yoongi feels quite accomplished.

‘S-sunshine,’ Jimin points at himself.

Yoongi nods and gives him a lopsided grin.

‘That you are.’

Amic laughs loudly from the side.

‘ing Spaces, you’re so gone,’ he teases.

Yoongi flips him a finger casually, setting him off even more.

Jimin nudges him, a look of confusion in his eyes. He repeats his question slowly but Yoongi doesn’t understand. So instead he hands him the screen, hoping Jimin would be able to illustrate his question to him. But before he can, a sharp voice rings out.

‘Thua?’

There’s clear alarm and confusion in her voice and Yoongi reacts before he can think, standing up. Beside him, Jimin does the same.

‘What is it?’

‘Thua’s missing.’ Amic tells him at once, worry etched across his features.

‘What?!’

Yoongi makes his way back towards the main encampment. Thua’s tent was right next to his own but it’s empty.

‘Did no one see him?’ he asks. But everyone is too confused to respond.

He couldn’t have just vanished without anyone having seen him. This made no sense.

‘Run scans to detect motion,’ she orders immediately. ‘Bring in our perimeter and let’s isolate the-‘

‘-guys bring it in tighter we need to make our reading smaller so we can detect Thua if he’s nearby!’

Yoongi quickly looks around for Jimin, to bring him closer when he notices how strangely still he was. It was as though he were frozen.

‘Jimin?’

He doesn’t seem to hear Yoongi, his posture statue-like, his attention riveted.

‘Sunshine?’ Yoongi reaches over and the moment he touches Jimin the latter collapses. Yoongi is quick to catch him, holding him upright immediately while scanning the forest. There was nothing there.

‘Hey- what’s wrong-‘

‘I don’t know but-‘ Yoongi’s chest constricts as Jimin pales rapidly, eyes rolling back momentarily before he’s greeted with the twin eclipses. Jimin’s eyes are clear and bright- but they’re not looking at Yoongi.

‘Sunshine? Jimin? Hey look at me for a bit yeah?’ Yoongi says urgently, holding Jimin securely against his chest with one arm while the other secured a TeorSer.

‘What’s going on-‘

Yoongi sees something red, something strangely bright growing in the reflection on Jimin’s eyes and his head tilts up before he can stop himself.

The canopy above was normally leaf strewn with branches weaving in and out. But this time it’s different.

Yoongi’s blood freezes over and his entire body is suddenly rooted to the ground. He can’t move, can’t speak.

Yoongi feels as though he were looking Death straight in the eye.

And everything burns red.

 

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

 

Yoongi wakes up feeling oddly light and disconnected.

But his chest feels incredibly heavy. Water clogged almost, yet his breath comes to him freely.

The ship is humming lightly but they were not flying. There’s something different in the air- an openness and movement that is distinctly natural. A differentiation that is stark to Yoongi for some reason.

While he felt rather normal save for the strange heaviness, Yoongi realizes that he’s shivering.

He’s wearing his own clothes, though the additional weapon holders and straps have been removed. His feet are bare as well but he’s wearing oddly colourful socks. Taeh’yung’s, Yoongi guesses.

He doesn’t make a sound as he walks out of the Medical Bay. He’s about to head upwards to his Cabin to change or maybe catch up on what’s happened so far with anyone who was awake when he hears soft humming.

His feet are carrying him without his say and Yoongi is in the Hangar instead. The Spardyti is parked outside, leaving the rest of the Hangar spacious and free. The gateway is partially open and a soft cool light floods in.

Sk’jin’s warning about the planet’s not too friendly wildlife comes to mind but Jimin was outside, and Yoongi has to go to him.

Ducking under the gateway Yoongi finds himself in the misty clearing outside, the ramp lowered and glistening with morning dew. The trees look different- less strange, but also very new. Yoongi spots slow sleepy movements beyond the foliage- great hulking shapes move around slowly and weave through the trees just beyond the edge of the clearing. At first glance Yoongi thinks they’re just grazing, but the beasts are swaying back and forth, as though caught in a trance.

And Yoongi knows why.

Jimin is standing in the middle of the clearing, his back to Yoongi’s. He’s humming and it’s as though the entire clearing, the jungle, the beasts, the very soil of this planet, are riveted with Jimin’s song. Yoongi finds himself feet from Jimin.

The sun is rising far ahead and Yoongi anticipates its warmth.

Slowly, Yoongi takes Jimin’s hand in his. Jimin doesn’t look away from the sunrise. Though he has a small smile on his face and steps closer to Yoongi.

‘It’s cold- that’s what I said to you right?’ Yoongi says quietly.

Jimin doesn’t reply, only squeezing his hand tighter.

‘I remember a little- some small thing here and there. And I think it will come back to me slowly- who I was, what I was.’ Yoongi breathes out slowly.

‘Do you think you could tell me who I was?’ Yoongi’s words are impossibly quiet. ‘But I don’t know if I want to remember who I was.’

The sun breaks through the mist and the temperature starts to change noticeably. There’s a hum in the air of insects and other creatures stirring awake as the sun rose higher, shaken from their stupor induced by Jimin’s voice.

‘Will that make a difference? Because I don’t know who I am now. Can I still be me, without knowing who I was?’ Yoongi asks. ‘Or am I not me- and am I just the reflection?’

Jimin looks away, the warmth of the sun in his eyes and Yoongi feels warm. Jimin reaches up to press his hands against his temples, the warmth of his gaze blossoming on Yoongi’s skin and the Human leans into his touch.

Jimin tilts his head to the side, as though considering Yoongi carefully.

‘You,’ he says quietly.

‘Me?’

Jimin smiles, gently patting his cheeks and nods. ‘You.’

‘I only see myself when I look at the mirror.’ Yoongi says quietly.

‘Tell me Yoongi, how many flowers can you see from there?’

Twin eclipses, bright and beautiful- hypnotic and familiar.

‘How many Yoongi’s do you see?’

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

 

 

Namjoon carefully looks over Yoongi who appears the same as usual. He wasn’t in pain or any discomfort, and he hadn’t somehow woken up with centuries old memory or information regarding any of the things he had done or seen in the past. He was just…about the same.

Sk’jin seemed subdued, unwilling to leave the ship and all for leaving it at once. Namjoon had left with Taeh’yung to return once more into the crashed ship, hoping the Zhak’gri would have something else to add. But Taeh’yung had simply run about, opening old cabinets and doors, talking loudly and walking noisily. He did however, pause a while to stare up the empty glass chambers that both Jimin and Sk’jin had been staring at too. Taeh’yung actually climbs up to the highest one, staring with unblinking eyes.

Then it’s all fine and he comes down, humming brightly under his breath before nagging Namjoon to go back.

It felt indescribably odd.

That something Namjoon had planned, or something he was looking for, actually came to fruition and produced a result.

It felt wrong, because nothing has gone right since day 1 of this mission and Namjoon doesn’t know how to handle any of this.

Jimin is carefully speaking into the screen, with Taeh’yung providing translation. They’d be able to create a somewhat accurate translation method if the two input Jimin’s language accurately. It would make for easier communication and hopefully wider understanding of each other in general. But then again, despite all speaking the Standard, Namjoon can’t say the rest of the had the best communication skills.

‘What do we do next?’ Sk’jin asks from where he’s seated, feet up and basking under the sunlight that streamed in from the windows overhead the Bridge. Yoongi sits next to Jimin, though he’s facing them, expression as blank as ever.

Namjoon can’t help but look out over at the cockpit and miss the familiar head of brown hair that provided him with the stability he hadn’t realized had supported him.

‘We fly to Grisial of course- we continue on with our plan. We study this,’ Namjoon nods at the cell sitting on top of the Navigator’s Table. Jimin’s initial explanation had been the only one he provided and it was all he would say about it, claiming that was all there was to it. Normally Sk’jin would make a comment about how he didn’t trust Jimin’s statement but the Khol’isa hadn’t said anything.

‘And see what it can show us.’

Sk’jin nods at that, his mind clearly elsewhere.

‘Could we use it.’ Yoongi asks unexpectedly.

‘Use what?’ Sk’jin asks, looking away from the sky above.

‘This planet was hidden from the rest of the Known Universe as a result of this technology. Could we cover our movements by facilitating this technology into our own?’

Namjoon notices how Sk’jin glances over him, a look in his expression that says he’s doing that thing again but before either of them can say anything Lisai speaks.

Incoming message from unknown source. Requesting permission.’  

‘-,’ Sk’jin curses under his breath, ‘- did they figure out we’re here-‘

Namjoon quickly pulls up the NaviLet to check the incoming call, activating his tracing systems to follow and trace back the call.

‘How is any communication channel coming in here?’ Namjoon mutters as his tracker fails to find the source, instead simply bouncing back to Ts’ets’khli instead, where it had last registered a location Namjoon had been tracking. There’s a sudden sharp sound that renders through the main Communication Board and the line automatically patches through.

‘Lisai cut the call immediately-‘ Namjoon orders immediately, activating the virus he personally built to work against the system he created for the Užkulisai.

Hello.’

Everyone stops. Jimin and Taeh’yung who had stopped their work are now standing, alarm etched on their features.

‘Who is this and what do you want.’ Namjoon demands instantly.

It’s painfully quiet for a while before the voice speaks again.

We have a proposal for you. One that we had politely offered to you in Pompa. We would like to renew this proposal.’  This voice sounded different. Still flat, still incredibly odd, with a tone that Namjoon cannot identify as male or female or anything else.

Sk’jin suddenly stands and whispers, ‘It’s them.’

Dread courses through Namjoon’s mind. How did they find them? They were no doubt affiliated with Van Seulgaan, considering they were looking for the “eggs” the same way the Tayian was. And there was no doubt that Seulgaan had connections with at least one of the members of the Special Jury.

‘We spoke of this previously,’ Namjoon says firmly, fingers moving across the NaviLet with alarmed hurry. ‘We will not give you the OrTank. Nothing you can offer us will make us reconsider.’

We have an offer for you.’ The voice continues, as though it didn’t hear Namjoon speak.

‘I said we don’t want anything-‘

Please take a look.’

And Namjoon already knows what he was going to see.

The Communication Boards holographic display lights up without their approval and it displays a direct and obviously live-feed of what appeared to be a storage hull of a ship. And inside the hull are stacked OrTanks, this time filled with Beings who similar to Jimin, were afloat inside of it. It’s dimly lit but it’s more than enough to show them the purpose of this hijacked hologram.

Hoseok.

Jimin gasps as Sk’jin curses under his breath. Namjoon closes his eyes, fists gripping the edges of the NaviLet.

‘If you wish to recover the Ngfy’widan Hoseok, then we are willing to give him back to you in exchange for the Yemenifesi Ch’inik’eti.’

Jimin, who had been halfway across towards the hologram, pauses in his steps, hearing his own title spoken out loud. His eyes widen, looking around at Namjoon as though begging for an explanation. But Namjoon has no idea. He cannot even begin to fathom how they could have known. Why they know.

And the bigger question that comes with it.

What did they want from Jimin?

‘If you do not act, we will not hesitate to dispose of the former agent. He is of no consequential use to us. Thank you for listening, we await your response. Have a good day.’

 

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


(Author’s Notes)

Yeah *coughs* Sk’jin is kinda…how’d you say, ace/aro I guess. I’m just not using those terms because in the scope of the Known Universe, where gender isn’t strictly a label of identification or blatant discrimination.
The Khol’isa have a unique culture, biology, and physiology- they don’t reproduce in the traditional sense of reproduction. So it’s not a part of their norm, to really feel or need ual attraction. 
It is who they are.
This chapter took long because I wanted to be careful with Sk’jin’s history, to give a better explanation of it, and the reason behind why and how he is the way he is now, or at least seems to show how he is. I hope you enjoyed it!!

AND THANK YOU "LATTEFORLATER" FOR ALLOWING ME TO USE YOUR OC
And AYE HOBI- well news about Hobi. 
speaking of which
WHO ELSE
CAN’T
WAIT
FOR
MARCH
2ND
BECAUSE I’M INTERNALLY DYING FOR SOME HIXTAPE GOODNESS 

I have midterms coming up- meaning I have no exams lol, so it’s like a nice long break for me so I will be able to bring the next update on time!! 
See you next update!!

 

IDK WHY THIS WAS ON DRAFT MODE I JUST SAW WTF???