“Reflection” [noun]: “the return of light, of sound waves from a surface“

A Detailed Explorer’s Guide into the Unknown

 

 

 

 

‘So pretty!’

Hoseok doesn’t even look up from his screen where he’s perusing the map to find the stalls they needed to visit in order to complete their shopping list as he reaches out and firmly grabs onto Taeh’yung’s collar, keeping him in place.

‘It’s so pretty Hobi, can we look at it when we come back?’

‘If we have time buggy,’ Hoseok replies, eyeing the map before looking up to visualize the space they were in in accordance to the map. The first stall they would be visiting would be for Jungkook. He’s not too sure how they go in and order this. Did he go to the counter and say ‘yeah hi I need some blood and raw flesh, preferably a crate full, how much is the total?’ or was there some covert way of handling this sort of trade.

‘I think Chim would look great in that- I think Yoongi would appreciate it.’ Taeh’yung comments blithely, skipping closer to wind his arm around Hoseok’s. This pulls Hoseok’s attention away from counting the stall-numbers and glances at what Taeh’yung is talking about only to regret his decision.

It’s some form of body-jewelry, designed and made from Grisial crystals and its been draped over a mannequin in such a way that there is literally no other explanation for the purpose and “use” of the jewelry.

‘Taeh’yung,’ Hoseok says in his best reprimanding tone. ‘Don’t be inappropriate, and don’t mentions things like this to either Yoongi or Jimin unless it’s been requested by them okay?’

‘But he’d look pretty in it?’ Taeh’yung tilts his head.

‘I- yeah sure he would but-‘

‘Oh! You agree!’ Taeh’yung’s eyes sparkle before he adds as though scandalized, ‘But you can’t!’

‘What-? No, Tae- let’s just get the stuff on our list- if we have time and can manage we buy something pretty yes?’ Hoseok tries to reason.

Taeh’yung just beams in agreement and immediately follows Hoseok without any further comment. He hums a random tune, head twisting and turning to look around, intrigued. Hoseok has thought this before and it’s even more cemented now than before.

Taeh’yung was like an ancient power, unimaginably wise and strong, but incredibly naïve and innocent at the same time. His point of view, in regards to everything, did not align with the standard of a Universal mode of living: morally and rationally. Taeh’yung just seemed to exist in a state of being far beyond what any of them were used to or could hope to understand.

Taeh’yung could coo and gently pet a young child, but would probably have no qualms destroying a planet if he saw fit. And there would probably be no guilt or regret of any sort in the aftermath of his actions.

‘Is this it?’

Hoseok glances at the direction Taeh’yung was pointing at and finds that they were indeed in front of the store he was looking for. And it did not look shady or weird. It just…looked like every other grocer stall in the Jetsam and Flotsam. There are additional things in the store of course, and instead of having displays of food items, the store is lined with massive OrTanks storing in them what appeared to be pulsing lumps of flesh.

Due to his line of work, not much really disgusts or repulses Hoseok. He can see something and understand and react to the gore or quality of repulsion it exuded, but that didn’t mean he actively sought out or enjoyed sights like the grotesque display before him.

It was odd, because everything was clean, hygienic, and even well packaged.

‘How may I help you?’ an Android asks, sitting up from behind the counter.

Somewhat recovering, Hoseok manages to order what he needs. The Android nods and without further question goes about retrieving the needed items.

‘Would you like the tissue living or frozen?’

‘I- what?’ Hoseok chokes out, eyes widening.

‘All tissue, flesh, and blood purchased in our outlets are designed and grown to be living, so as to preserve the quality and freshness of the items sir,’ the Android explains smoothly. ‘Please have no fear! We conduct all our business under strict guidance of the Yisheng Directory and abide all of their ethics!’

This honestly does nothing to placate Hoseok as he eyes the living pieces of flesh.

‘…how does this work?’ he asks carefully as Taeh’yung eagerly walks up to one of the OrTanks watching a lump of meat pulse rather rhythmically. Hoseok is honestly a little afraid. Mainly because he’s afraid Taeh’yung will somehow be strangely inspired by what was around him and might be motivated to do something along the lines of growing and harvesting living tissue in his Cabin or something.

‘We design and genetically modify choice cells to harvest and grow, living without the need of a heart or a brain, cancelling any attachment it may have in the form of a living Being, therefore making our products some of he safest consumer products you could ever purchase.'

It still does nothing to placate Hoseok if he’s being hones.

‘How is it sustained?’ Hoseok asks tentatively.

‘All flesh, all cells need respiration in order to grown, and remain healthy. The process of respiration involves the inhalation of an element that then breaks down to form sugars in the cell, energizing it to maintain cellular function. That is how we are growing our products.’ The Android sounds like he’s memorized books on sales-pitching. ‘Our OrTanks come fully facilitated to support our tech, and can be easily stored into your average kitchen cabinet! Or! You can customize your OrTank here!’

‘-oh wow, okay,’ Hoseok, despite the overwhelming information delivered to him so enthusiastically, finds that the entire ordeal was actually handled pretty decently.

While the idea of whole species of Beings having unique and sometimes very bloody and raw diets wasn’t an unusual one, obtaining these products in an ethical and conserving way was something no one wanted to really think about; especially when the “meat” involved came from very sentient species of Beings.

‘I guess that’s a good idea-‘

‘Who is the diet meant for?’ the Android asks politely, holding up a screen out of nowhere as though to check on it.

‘A Vicitra,’ Hoseok replies, seeing no harm in mentioning such a thing considering that the Vicitra, though quite rarely found wandering the galaxy in their own tourism/casual holiday volition, the idea of their existence wasn’t all unknown or regarded with too much disgust or taboo.

‘Perfect! We have a wonderful store of both blood, bone broth, and fatty tissue known to be a favorite amongst our most deadly patrons!’ the Android beams as though nothing brought it more happiness.

‘Can you set apart a month’s ration for each of these please? And how long is the- uh, shelf-life?’ Hoseok reaches over and pulls Taeh’yung to his side, trying to stop him from opening some of the display OrTanks.

‘As long as you have a good portion of the item, you can continue to slowly harvest it, making it’s shelf-life well over 3 months! Of course, you must maintain the hygiene, temperature, and other settings to make sure it thrives.’

Hoseok is really trying not to regard these pulsing lumps of flesh as anything more than what they are: weirdly living lumps of dumb flesh. Bu it’s quite hard to do so.

‘Great- uh, we’ll take those,’ Hoseok manages a small smile and nod.

The Android smiles brightly and says, ‘Wonderful! Might I interest you in some of the specialty liver from-‘

‘No! Nopes! We’re good- just- just the items I requested, thank you,’ Hoseok manages to get out, trying not to sweat.

‘This is cool!’ Taeh’yung exclaims. ‘It’s so smart!’

‘They’re…they’re not- not alive are they?’ Hoseok winces even when he’s asking.

‘Oh, everything is alive Hobi,’ Taeh’yung smiles. ‘But I know what you mean- they’re not.’

‘You’re not lying to me are you?’ Hoseok chuckles weakly.

Taeh’yung just grins at him in reply.

Hoseok is still queasy as they exit the store, pulling along the gravity-lift they had brought with them, with 1 months worth of blood, bone broth, and fatty tissue. Honestly the ingredients in itself wasn’t the matter here. Hoseok has had his fair share of questionable cuisine in his line of work, but to an extent he’s always known what he’s consumed. The “food” they were now pulling along behind them however, came from sources Hoseok would rather not know about.

‘Okay- time to head to the Kitchen Supplies section,’ Hoseok announces, pointing with his chin at Taeh’yung who nods obediently and insists on pulling the handle with Hoseok. Hands overlapping on the handle meant only for one hand, they walk along the wide paths of the Flotsam.

‘Oh-!’ Taeh’yung stops suddenly, causing Hoseok to reel backwards from the abrupt stop of their motion.

‘What is it?’ Hoseok demands, his senses prickling.

Taeh’yung is looking behind them, back into the crowd, eyes a little wide, eyebrows raised up. Then slowly he grins, looking very pleased.

‘Tae? What’s wrong?’ Hoseok looks around, scanning the busy zone.

‘Nothing.’ Taeh’yung replies before nodding in satisfaction. ‘Something familiar.’

‘…is that okay? Is it safe?’ Hoseok asks warily.

‘Do you remember your first ever grounded memory of your home?’ Taeh’yung asks suddenly, walking again.

‘Uh- I guess?’ Hoseok thinks back to high sweltering skies, grassy plains and dry wind. Of the ceramic jars arranged according to size stored high up on the shelves, away from his grabbing hands. He remembers the fabric and pattern and texture of his mother’s skirt, brushing against his face.

‘I guess I’m feeling a bit nostalgic,’ Taeh’yung grins before he exclaims, ‘Aren’t we supposed to get hair-dye?’

‘Oh right-‘

Taeh’yung gestures to the stall to the side, filled with all sorts of supplies for self-care. There are clothes in here too so Hoseok guesses they might as well get everything else on the list here.

‘What do you think about bright red for Yoongi?’ Taeh’yung asks, frowning down at a box set of the aforementioned hair colour.

‘I think we’re trying to go low-key here buggy,’ Hoseok replies as he picks up the tags for industrial-size cleaning agents from the stall. He’s feeling a bit more citrus this time rather than the herbal-aroma they had going inside the ship. ‘Maybe something brown? It’s more natural for Humans anyways.’

‘One of the Human’s I knew had dark red hair,’ Taeh’yung announces. ‘The other had a light golden brown.’

‘Regardless,’ Hoseok chuckles, ‘Let’s end his suffering and get him a brown.’

‘I’m gonna get this for Chim for when his hair grows out,’ Taeh’yung says as though in compensation for Yoongi’s lack of colour as he picks up a pastel-pink box. ‘I think this will look great on him.’

‘Pick something for Jin too. Maybe Namjoon as well?’ Hoseok frowns a little as he speculates.

Working as an agent, Hoseok knew all too well how efficient something as simple as changing hair-colour could be. Especially when you were disguising yourself to hide. It was something he knew well, and something he used to his immense advantage considering his biology.

‘What about Kookie?’

‘I don’t think it’s necessary for him just yet,’ Hoseok smiles. ‘He can keep his hair as it is.’

Taeh’yung nods to that and Hoseok picks out a floral-type based fragrance for the ship’s generic hygiene products.

‘Is he going to stay?’ Taeh’yung asks as he picks up a box of something mixed between purple and silver.

‘Who?’ Hoseok is not sure which he Taeh’yung is referring to.

‘Kookie.’ Taeh’yung clarifies. ‘Will he continue to stay?’

‘I don’t know,’ Hoseok replies honestly. ‘In all honesty, I don’t think he should stay. It’s too dangerous for him with us. But at the same time, it’s dangerous out there. Especially for someone like him.’

Taeh’yung nods slowly, picking up a forest-green colour and tucking it under his arm.

‘Will you?’ Hoseok finds himself asking.

Taeh’yung looks surprised by the question.

‘I know you don’t stay- that you won’t stay,’ Hoseok shrugs. And as he says it, he comes to realize that deep inside he knew this would be the case. Taeh’yung had arrived randomly and integrated himself into the ship without any ado, so it was only logical that he would leave randomly, leaving behind his absence. It makes Hoseok feel strangely empty but also almost relieved at the idea of it.

‘But will you? At least until we finish what we were set out to do.’

Taeh’yung makes a thoughtful face before saying, ‘I need to watch Jinnie.’

‘How is he?’ Hoseok asks carefully. ‘I- Namjoon told me he uh-‘

‘He almost relapsed,’ Taeh’yung states bluntly. ‘If we were late, and if Namjoon hadn’t been there, he wouldn’t be here.’

‘Namjoon? What do you mean?’ Hoseok frowns, remembering how Namjoon had relayed what had happened. Namjoon had very clearly stated how he hadn’t done anything other than carrying Sk’jin back into the ship and had been in the dark about everything that had taken place himself.

‘He helped!’ Taeh’yung smiles before he picks up a tag from the shelf, waving it in the air, ‘Can we get this air-fragrance? I think it’ll be nice if it always smelt like rain!’

‘Eh- I don’t think we have a diffuser-‘

‘-here’s the tag for the diffuser!’ Taeh’yung reaches high up and retrieves the slip.

Hoseok suspects they’ve spent more than they’re supposed to as they exit the Flotsam and Jetsam, dragging behind them a very sizeable “grocery stock” on the gravity-lift plus extra packages that couldn’t fit.

‘I think we need to get help,’ Hoseok mumbles as he eyes the gravity-lift behind them. It was already nearly scraping the floors. They would need to rent one of the public lifts to take all of this back.

I can come.’ Yoongi says quietly.

‘No- all three of you stay inside- I’ll call Sk’jin, I think he’s going to be done,’ Hoseok says quickly just as Sk’jin announces he’s done with his assigned task. Good, everything was going smoothly. ‘Sk’jin, could you come help us at the FJ? There’s a lot.’

I’m done too- need an extra hand?’ Namjoon chimes in.

‘Yeah- the more the merrier,’ Hoseok shrugs as he directs the lift over to the side so as to not block the wide paths leading out of the Flotsam and Jetsam.

It was a magnificent view, and a much better looking and structured Flotsam and Jetsam compared to many of the FJ’s around the Known Universe. Massive columns of dark crystal-glass unique to the asteroids around Grisial wound up and around the massive chamber. Most of the asteroids around Grisial contained the unique crystal but in varying degrees of purity and quality. The asteroids the Pits were built out of were ones mixed with other heavier elements that allowed the GLA to build within it the way you would a regular Dock. And due to their own natural, albeit weak, gravity- construction wasn’t complicated.

Sk’jin’s health-tab just peaked.’ Yoongi announces suddenly.

‘What-?’

His position is moving away from the elevators- Namjoon you’re close-‘

‘I’m on it- where exactly?’

Hoseok is already leaving the gravity-lift and is ready to make his way up but Taeh’yung pulls him back easily.

‘Tae we need to –‘

‘It’s fine.’ The Zhak’gri smiles easily. ‘He’s not in danger. Just a visit.’

‘What-‘

Oh. Yes. It’s fine.’

‘What do you mean?’ Hoseok demands, addressing both Taeh’yung and Yoongi.

‘He’ll be fine-‘

‘Yoongi- can you access the surveillance-‘

I’m already tracking all of you.’

‘-…oh okay uh-‘

Sk’jin is fine.’

‘Jin? Are you all right? What’s happening?’ Hoseok demands, finding that he can’t move away without causing a commotion with the way Taeh’yung is holding onto his hand with more strength than Hoseok was mentally prepared for. Also, Taeh’yung had really large hands.

He’s safe-oh-?’ Yoongi sounds decidedly surprised.

Um- Namjoon…’ Jimin trails off, also sounding very surprised and then it’s instantly followed by a gasp.

‘What? What is it?!’ Hoseok demands, trying to wriggle his hand out of Taeh’yung’s hold.

Maybe um, you should coming-come back to the ship?’ Jimin says carefully and slowly.

‘I’ll support the lift Hobi,’ Taeh’yung tells him with another dazzling smile that Hoseok guesses is supposed to be reassuring. ‘No one will notice!’

It’s touching and comforting that Taeh’yung mentions this effort in being inconspicuous but Hoseok’s senses are tingling and he’s very uncomfortable. Why couldn’t he hear Sk’jin and now Namjoon? But Yoongi is still able to read both of their health-tabs, as well as keep a visual tag on both of them.

‘You’ll see,’ Taeh’yung pleads, ‘Let’s go back!’

It’s the only way Hoseok can quickly gain insight into this so he nods and starts pulling at the lift. Taeh’yung doesn’t let go of their hands but he does somehow manage to place all of their items onto the lift, no indication or glimmer of his abilities gleaming in neon-green at them through the crates and tanks.

The bots have delivered the cells. They’re outside the Bay.’ Yoongi reports and then adds, ‘The local authorities are chasing after Sk’jin and Namjoon.’

‘Why?!’ Hoseok demands, feet moving faster as he pulls Taeh’yung and the lift towards the massive elevators.

They caused a commotion in public. They are now escaping.’ Yoongi sounds bored and the elevator could probably afford to go faster but there are at least 10 other Beings onboard and they’re all taking their sweet time disembarking on their levels. Hoseok doesn’t care how he’s glaring down the others inside the elevator to the point where a vast majority of innocent stragglers make for an obvious escape on levels and zones they were clearly not headed for.

‘Guys! Hurry and get back- on the ship-!’ Namjoon suddenly announces, the lines cleaning up at once and Hoseok can now hear the two of them clearly on the run.

‘What?! What’s going on again-‘ Hoseok groans, wiping at his face with his freehand while Taeh’yung massages his nape as though to soothe him.

Do you need backup?’ Yoongi asks, sounding prepared to blow something up.

‘No- no Yoongi, you stay put- we’re coming to you. Jimin activate-‘

Namjoon was ordering them to activate the invisibility-shield, Hoseok’s personal name for the device. That meant they needed to hide now.

-I got it!’ Jimin replies, sounding worried and panicked.

‘Pa! Jinnie! What’s wrong-?!’ Taeh’yung gasps out, looking comically worried.

‘Don’t worry about us- just- everyone on the ship!’ Sk’jin pants out, sounding winded.

It doesn’t nothing to make Hoseok worry less.

Security is approaching the area, they’re going to surround you. You need to exit the place now.’

‘Where are they?’ Hoseok demands before telling Namjoon, ‘Guys taking any form of public transit will get you spotted. You’ll need to find a way to get through to at least the closest docking platform zone-‘

For some reason Sk’jin giggles rather hysterically.

‘-you just need to ascend up to Zone 90 and I can bring the Spardyti to you.’ Yoongi informs them, ‘They’re surrounding your location you can’t-‘

‘-‘

‘We can’t do anything- unless we fight,’ Sk’jin pants out. ‘And at this point, fighting will lead to more problems. If we just allow ourselves to be captured, and we pretend we were having some dumb love-triangle argument then that could work-‘

Hoseok is not expecting this conversation to turn this way and it actually makes him pause in his glaring competition with the other occupants in the elevator who are now all earnestly backing away from them.

Why are you stopping?’ Yoongi demands. ‘4 Officers approaching-‘

‘Where even are they?!’ Hoseok demands as the elevator stops once more to let in a small group of Beings. Hoseok glares them down.

They are now hiding at an illicit market.’

‘An- what? A what?’

An illicit market,’ Yoongi states blandly. Hoseok catches sight of the Pit’s authority officers to the side, standing at ease. A thought occurs to him.

‘Can’t the authorities see them too-?’

‘It’s been overlaid,’ Yoongi replies.

‘That was quick-‘ Hoseok all but manages to comment.

‘Not by me,’ Yoongi replies.

‘Then by who-?’ but Hoseok jolts as he realizes they’re only a level away from their destination. Taeh’yung only giggles behind him.

‘You’re a terrible kisser,’ Sk’jin mumbles out of nowhere. It takes Hoseok more than a few seconds to recalibrate his mind to understand and keep up with the rapidity of how things were moving and changing.

‘I’m not paying attention to quality here-‘ is Namjoon’s extraordinary reply.

‘Um-‘ Hoseok is so stunned he actually freezes, unable to move as the elevator panel-doors open up.

‘Let me-‘

Managing to somewhat recover with the knowledge that getting back to the ship will hopefully clear up all confusion, Hoseok darts out, heading straight for the Užkulisai as Taeh’yung speed-walks behind him, gravity-lift moving faster and higher than normal but there aren’t a lot of Beings around so Hoseok doesn’t heed it much.

You can stop kissing they’re out of the area.’

‘WHAT?!-‘

‘WHO’S KISSING WHO-‘ Taeh’yung demands sounding too happy.

‘Ca-captain and Jin-‘ Jungkook mumbles quietly.

‘WHAT WHY FOR ’S SAKE-‘ Hoseok doesn’t care that he’s literally roaring at this point, causing a few random repair-bots to fall and curl up from where they were mounted to the side of the maintenance-shed.

‘Wow that actually worked,’ he hears Sk’jin state before adding, ‘Don’t look that disgusted-‘

Um- I think you should start running-‘ Jimin cuts in unsurely.

Please make your way into the 5th stall and ask for the restroom. You can access the pipes from the vents.’ Yoongi orders, sounding annoyed only in a way the Human was capable of.

‘Anything around?’

They arrive at the Užkulisai, the Bay gates opening in advance for him. Jimin is there, eyes wide but not fearful as he stares at one of the screens mounted to the side of the Bay. Jungkook is there too, looking confused but still trying to be helpful.

The market is surrounded. They will arrive at your location in 20 seconds again.’ Yoongi replies.

‘Okay we’re in the restroom-‘

According to the layout, you should find a large shredder tube-‘

‘Yoongi I don’t think any of us are immune to a shredder tube-‘

‘Wait- I got it.’

‘Uh what-‘

‘What-‘ Hoseok demands at once followed instantly by a nervous, ‘What-‘ from Jimin who greets him with a helpless expression, sleeves rolled up, beanie askew as he activates the invisibility-shield.

‘Kookie help Taeh’yung out!’ Hoseok calls as he runs past the two in the Hangar.

The Vicitra quickly shuffles along, eager to make himself useful inside the ship as Jimin calls after him in surprise.

Hoseok speeds upwards, hearing the alarming sounds of something metallic and hard hitting something else metallic and hard. Yoongi is standing at the Navigator’s Mast, looking at a wide projection of multiple surveillance feeds of some zone inside the Pit, all keyed in on Namjoon and Sk’jin’s position. Or at least where they last were, outside a small restaurant of sorts where half a dozen officers were gathered.

‘Namjoon don’t be an idiot-‘

Hoseok skids to a stop by the Mast.

‘Did you really think I was going to stick my hand in into the blades?’

‘I didn’t know what you were going to do-‘

‘Hand me the -‘

‘The what-?!’ Taeh’yung sounds like he’s about to pass out from glee.

‘THE WHAT?!’ Hoseok demands.

‘…Namjoon-‘

There’s a strange blip in Namjoon’s health-tab and Hoseok isn’t sure what to make of what he’s seeing.

‘Right- we should get going,’

‘For ’s sake-‘

‘The Officers are outside of the stall- they’re asking about unusual activity. Please hurry the owner is leading them inside.’ Yoongi calls to their attention, eyeing the surveillance feed calmly, as though the fate of the Captain and Communications Manager of their ship didn’t solely depend on how they were going to make it through a shredder tube.

‘Don’t forget the panel-cover.

‘ing hell-‘

‘This is madness it’s not going to work-‘ Hoseok wonders why and how Yoongi is so calm in all of this, and why he wasn’t even trying to attempt to help or look for ways to help. ‘We can at least try to shut down the shredder-tube-‘

‘It’s been taken care of.’ Yoongi states quietly. ‘They’re safe.’

Hoseok then realizes that there is more than one line of communication channel open, and it was coming from Sk’jin’s screen the Khol’isa had left behind.

‘Yoongi-‘

‘It’s safe. They’re safe.’ Yoongi looks away from the Table to look Hoseok straight in his eyes.

The lines from both Namjoon and Sk’jin cut almost immediately and Hoseok jumps a little as the officers break down the door leading into the restroom Sk’jin and Namjoon had been hiding in seconds ago. It’s clearly empty judging by everyone’s shocked reactions.

‘Will someone explain what this is?’ Hoseok demands rather than ask.

‘The explanation will arrive after Namjoon and Sk’jin get back.’ Yoongi declares, making no sense before adding: ‘Because I want some answers too.’

It’s another half an hour before Namjoon and Sk’jin’s channels connect and an additional 15 minutes before the two show up in their docking area, shuffling towards the ship at weirdly furious pace.

By the time the Hangar Bay gates open, they’re both close enough for them to just make them out. And in all honesty, Hoseok had been expecting them to be covered in unmentionables. But they’re both clean, and even from this distance, carried a strong smell of chlorine. But whatever they had gone through, hadn’t left them unscathed.  

Namjoon and Seokjin look incredibly terrible but it’s Namjoon that takes the spotlight.

Jimin gasps while Jungkook freezes completely, eyes widening worrisomely. Taeh’yung actually wails as he sprints forward and out of the Hangar Bay and quickly ushers the approaching two inside quickly.

Namjoon’s arm looks…bad, mildly put. Added with his previous…injuries? Damages? It makes him look especially woebegone.

‘So-‘

‘Ah right, here-‘ Sk’jin reaches into his jacket pocket and retrieves something and throws it at Yoongi who just steps into the Bay. Hoseok realizes, with some delay and a lot of feelings that can only be translated into “?!?!?!?!?!?!!??” when he recognizes the item the Khol’isa had thrown at the Human.

Yoongi stares, rather blankly Hoseok might add, at the clear crystal in his hands.

Jimin crouches on the ground, face buried in his hands, the tips of his ears burning red. Taeh’yung is wheezing while Namjoon walks over to Hoseok, the strong smell of chlorine actually making Hoseok’s eyes water. The Kutsoglerin sighs and says, ‘I can’t believe we were saved by ing crystal s.’ before walking away and out of the Bay.

Yoongi then later, with deadly speed and accuracy hurls it at Sk’jin. But the Khol’isa is saved the concussion when Taeh’yung casually swipes it off of the air and cradling the and then rubbing it against his face, much to Jimin’s intense chagrin, exclaims, ‘It’s so pretty can I have it?’.

 

*

 

Hoseok helps Namjoon in the shower, the latter being unable to do a lot now without the presence of a functional arm.

‘Is the ship okay with just Yoongi watching the Bridge?’

‘He’ll be fine- Sk’jin isn’t there,’ Hoseok snorts as he severs the bionic ligament still holding up random fragments of Namjoon’s useless arm. He knows Namjoon wouldn’t necessarily feel the pain, but he still internally winces.

‘Can you fix this?’ Hoseok asks, gesturing to his arm.

‘I should be able to. But we’ll need to place special orders,’ Namjoon grunts out. ‘Might place them now, see if we can get them by the end of this trip. Seems unlikely though…kinda rare.’

‘Will that cause some form of alarm with the Jury- if it’s that rare, they might be keeping an eye out on places that distribute the things you need.’ Hoseok theorizes.

‘It’s rare, but not that rare.’ Namjoon replies as he holds up another severed ligament for Hoseok to cut, ‘But that’s a good thing to keep in mind- we’ll look for the items carefully.’

The texture is odd- almost fleshy, but strangely sharp on the blades of the surgery-scissors he was using. Hoseok knows that if he were to look into this bit of bionic flesh, he would find living cells imbibed with identical crafted cells made of silicon, carbon, and if Hoseok isn’t mistaken, Tungsten.

‘So…the Long-Huon.’

‘Someone from Sk’jin’s past- they’re…they’re connected by the Nightmare Planet. I think he’s the one who got him out.’

‘I thought it was Taeh’yung who got him out? Or at least I assumed it was?’ Hoseok questions.

‘It’s complicated. And honestly something that I don’t think we need to know.’

‘Like what Sk’jin had said?’

Namjoon sighs before nodding as though it pained him to agree to the fact that Sk’jin had been correct.

‘Yoongi seems to know him too.’ Hoseok supplies. ‘What do you reckon about that?’

‘Well, Sk’jin, Taeh’yung, and Yoongi have all, at one point, met and “bonded” I guess,’ Namjoon quirks his fingers in quotation marks with his good hand. ‘Maybe Yoongi met them at the time?’

‘So…what did he want?’

‘To talk. Sk’jin hasn’t been replying. He seems to have promised something to him.’ Namjoon replies slowly before pointing at a flappy bit of bionic flesh. ‘That can be used to wrap around the tubes up here.’

Namjoon’s entire biological function is fascinating to say the least. Fascinating, and utterly heart-wrenching when you realize the pain and horror the Kutsoglerin went through with every single “correction” made to his being.

‘Are you sure it doesn’t hurt?’ Hoseok asks tentatively as they get ready to seal the arm just above the elbow.

‘I don’t really have pain receptors,’ Namjoon shrugs before adding. ‘I used to.’

Hoseok’s stomach churns.

‘Yeah? What happened?’

‘I asked the Yishengs to destroy them.’ Namjoon replies easily. ‘I can feel and sense yeah, but I guess pain doesn’t register the way it’s supposed to.’

Namjoon probably only sensed a slight discomfort, an awareness that informed him that something had happened, and that it was probably not a good thing. And Hoseok doesn’t blame Namjoon for choosing to have his pain-receptors removed.

The entire remaining Kutsoglerin species, and not just Namjoon, had more than enough of pain.

‘It’s fine,’ Namjoon smiles at him, a small but genuine one. ‘ like this happens right?’

Hoseok smiles back, ignoring the sudden burning flare that erupts in his palms, ‘Yeah. It does.’

When they exit the en suite, they’re both taken aback to find Taeh’yung, Jungkook, and Jimin waiting for them at Namjoon’s door room.

3 pairs of wide eyes regard them and before either Namjoon or Hoseok can say anything, Taeh’yung honest to goodness bursts into tears and Jungkook follows shortly.

‘Oh uh-‘ Namjoon is lost.

Hoseok swiftly makes himself scarce, holding up the bowl of bionic remains to chest level as though using it as leverage against the 3 at the doorway. They immediately part to give him room before converging inside. And from the sounds of it, Taeh’yung has leapt onto Namjoon judging by the startled grunt and quite rebuke from Jimin.

‘Are those Namjoon’s bits?’ Sk’jin asks, poking his head out of his room.

‘Yeah- gonna put them in suspension-‘

‘Hey- you were in there for a while.’ Sk’jin wiggles his eyebrows at Hoseok, ‘A sudden thought occurred to me and I think you might know-‘

‘-I don’t know and honestly it really isn’t our business to know,’ Hoseok rolls his eyes before making his way down.

‘You don’t want to know if he has a metallic di-‘

‘Most of the Kutsoglerin species were systematically neutered as a means of permanent genocide during their invasion. It is not a matter to laugh about.’ Yoongi states, appearing behind them almost as though he had materializes on the stairs out of thin air.

‘ing Spaces-!’ Sk’jin jumps, nearly crashing into Hoseok. ‘For ’s sake Yoongi-!

‘Are we ready to leave?’ Hoseok asks.

‘Yes. Waiting for Namjoon’s order.’ The Human replies before turning to address Sk’jin who looks mildly confused at this direct attention.

‘As of now the Kutsoglerin population is at an all time low with fertility levels dropping to an all time low and chances of repopulation nearly impossible,’ Yoongi reels off, unbothered by Sk’jin’s continued muttering. ‘Unless of course, by using AI technology.’

‘Is that why he looked so thrown off when he heard the Omhlophe were in Kutsoglera?’ Sk’jin ruminates out loud as they reach the Lobby downstairs. ‘Makes sense.’

‘I thought you’d be more sympathetic about the topic,’ Hoseok comments, glancing at the Khol’isa. ‘Considering your species?’

Sk’jin rolls his eyes before replying, ‘The Universe could do without the Khol’isa- we’re honestly useless. Immortality is useless.’

‘Khol’isa can die,’ Yoongi states simply. ‘They are not immortal.’

‘Yeah but can we stay dead?’ Sk’jin asks though it sounds too much like a wish to Hoseok’s ears.

‘We could try.’ Is Yoongi’s reply.

Not sure if Yoongi was joking or actually being honest, but it makes Sk’jin laugh so Hoseok guesses it’s all right.

‘I see you and Taeh’yung went all out while shopping,’ Sk’jin says after he’s done laughing, leaning against Yoongi who is tilted, as though encouraging the Khol’isa to maybe not lean his entire weight on him. Sk’jin of course completely ignores him.

‘Yeah- Taeh’yung got all of you hair-colour,’ Hoseok shrugs as he carefully places the bionic bits into a jar with suspension liquid. ‘I just spared you rainbow hair Yoongi, there’s no need to thank me.’

‘I wasn’t going to.’

Sk’jin nearly falls on the ground as he laughs again.

‘What colour?’ Yoongi asks as though unable to help himself.

‘Back to your original- or as similar as possible,’ Hoseok replies with a grin. Yoongi doesn’t thank him but the small nod in his direction is as close as it gets.

‘So- so you found Jungkook’s food?’ Sk’jin manages to get out, clearing his throat as he pulls himself up straight and away from Yoongi who Hoseok has the strong suspicion must have pinched or poked Sk’jin away from himself.

‘Lisai please prepare incubator and set to preservation mode,’ Hoseok orders before replying, ‘Yeah- it’s actually quite interesting the way-‘

A sudden bell rings.

An honest to goodness bell chime.

‘That wasn’t me I swear on Namjoon’s nonexistent metallic ,’ Sk’jin says at once, raising his hands up.

‘I think someone is at the door,’ Yoongi states.

‘What-?’ Hoseok reaches over to the side, tapping the screen awake and pulling up their surveillance camera tabs.

And just like Yoongi had said, someone was indeed standing just outside towards the back of the ship, arms crossed and tapping their feet impatiently.

‘I…was not expecting him to literally come to the ship…’ Sk’jin trails off.

‘Is this-‘

‘Sk’jin!’

Namjoon appears at the stairs, trailed closely by the others.

‘Why is he-‘ Namjoon calls out loudly.

‘I don’t know!’ Sk’jin yells back as he exits the Bay. ‘I’m going to find out!’

‘Who is that-?!’ Jimin is asking, making his way towards Yoongi before Taeh’yung bowls past in a flash of green, past Namjoon, past Sk’jin, and through the doorway-

Hoseok hastens to look over at the screen and is just in time to see Taeh’yung knock the unsuspecting Being outside the ship down to the floor with a high-pitched shriek.

After some confusion, a bit more yelling, and some hasty explanation from Sk’jin, Namjoon, and Taeh’yung, they find themselves all sitting awkwardly at the Lobby, smiling strained smiles at the stranger who was nursing a scratched arm from the fall he took with Taeh’yung.

For a fraction of a second there’s an aggressive silent argument between Sk’jin and Namjoon from across the Lobby. It clearly amuses the stranger, a Long-Huon if Hoseok isn’t mistaken.

The skin around his face is smooth but close to his jaw and temples, it’s textured with raised bumps that Hoseok knows are tiny scales. His hands which were not covered are long, ending in trimmed talons. But most characteristic are his eyes- sulfuric yellow with pupils shaped like narrow slits and every time he blinked, a thinner and slightly transparent secondary lid closes first.

Jungkook is both wary and intrigued, watching the Long-Huon from the stairs. To Hoseok’s surprise, Yoongi had moved there, almost as though to keep the young Vicitra company.

No one speaks and the awkwardness is mounting with a severity that makes Hoseok want to open a window and scream out of it.

‘So…’ the Long-Huon smiles carefully, eyeing all of them in turn. His posture is easy and relaxed, but it’s practiced and as an agent himself, Hoseok recognizes someone who has undergone intense training.

Captain, we are at green.’ Lisai calls out suddenly, making everyone in the room jump a little.

‘Uh right-‘

‘I’ll go.’ Yoongi announces from the stairs.

Hoseok is about to volunteer instead, because honestly he can’t deal with the awkwardness in the room anymore. He could instead just watch from a screen upstairs. But Zitao jumping violently when he realizes that Yoongi is in the room makes him pause. The Long-Huon looks unsure, as though thinking back to when and how Yoongi could have appeared when he had carefully scanned the room just seconds ago.

‘ing Spaces-‘ the Long-Huon lets out a long slew of curses in his own language before regarding the Human with confusion as well as recognition.

‘Nice to meet you again.’ The Human nods as he makes to go up the stairs, pausing at the base.

‘Uh-‘ the Long-Huon is understandable confused.

‘I was sent to assassinate you while you were transiting between Galūnė and Šerdesas 4 sols ago.’ Yoongi states bluntly, making every Being in the Bridge, other than Sk’jin, gawk at the Human. ‘I apologize for that. I did my best to distract the GI away from you so that you could escape.’

‘…that was YOU!?’ the Long-Huon shrieks, mouth agape.

‘Okay so yeah, past aside,’ Sk’jin interrupts quickly. ‘Yoongi if you could start taking us out- we uh- will talk here.’

Yoongi nods and goes up the stairs, immediately followed by Jungkook who climbs up on all fours, still throwing Zitao suspicious looks.

‘This is Zitao,’ Sk’jin introduces shortly. ‘We were together in the Nightmare Planet until 4 sols ago.’

‘Hi!’ the Long-Huon, Zitao waves shortly and Taeh’yung beams brightly, waving both hands at him.

‘Okay why are you here? I said I would contact you,’ Sk’jin frowns.

‘And miss talking to him?’ Zitao nods at Namjoon who bristles. ‘No way.’

Sk’jin looks seconds away from also opening a window and screaming out of it.

‘Okay first of all I need to talk to Sk’jin alone- and with Taeh’yung,’ Zitao announces as he stands.

‘No,’ Namjoon cuts in smoothly. ‘All discussions will be held here-‘

‘I’m not here to discuss any of this with you-‘

‘What needs to be discussed can be said here in front of all of us,’ Namjoon says through grit teeth and a clenched jaw.

Zitao levels him with a glare that’s so unimpressed and so like Sk’jin’s, Hoseok wonders who learnt it from whom.

‘Fine then,’ he shrugs before sitting back down and Sk’jin’s eyes widen in obvious panic.

‘Wait-‘

‘Sk’jin is dying.’ The Long-Huon states flatly.

Hoseok’s stomach drops, his skin cold.

Namjoon looks like he’s experiencing the same thing, eyes wide as he blinks rather slowly at the Long-Huon. However, both Jimin and Taeh’yung just look down, heads bowed a little where they sat.

‘We know he’s not well- it’s why we’ve ordered the UV-Bed-‘

‘No metal-brain,’ Zitao rolls his eyes. ‘He’s supposed to keep in contact with me about the progress of his living state. It’s why I’m here. He hasn’t reported back to me about anything for nearly half a sol now- he literally vanished from any form of trace; last I knew, he was back at that place- so of course I immediately came here to check. But…’ Zitao looks over at Taeh’yung who gives him a small smile which doesn’t sit well with Hoseok.

Because Taeh’yung looks strangely defeated.

‘I guessed as much,’ Zitao sighs before sending a glare at Sk’jin who huffs, throwing his hands up and saying, ‘I’m fine- I am healthy, functional, and most of all I am on a mission- you of all Beings should know how important this is to me. What it means to me.’

Hoseok shares a look with Jimin who, like Hoseok, doesn’t understand what Sk’jin means by this.

‘Listen- I don’t care what it is that you’re doing on this mission but-‘

‘Zitao it’s them.’ Sk’jin says quietly and carefully.

The expression on Zitao’s face changes abruptly.

‘W-…what?’

‘It’s something…I think it’s something they left behind,’ Sk’jin explains slowly before Namjoon stands up and steps over to Sk’jin as though to physically stop him from speaking more.

‘What are you-‘

‘Zitao was there,’ Sk’jin explains, not sparing the Kutsoglerin a glance. ‘He knows about this, possibly even more than we do.’

Zitao, amidst his shock, realizes that they’re all staring at him and squirms a little in discomfort.

‘But they’re gone- with Earth, with- with all of them, they’re gone.’ Zitao states firmly.

‘They are,’ Taeh’yung says from where he’s sitting. ‘This is something else- but very similar to them- and…’ he glances at Namjoon before adding rather lamely, ‘-and maybe more.’

Zitao eyes all of them carefully before he squints up at Namjoon.

‘Does this have something to do with Admiral K’mara?’

There is no reaction from Namjoon who says in an even tone, ‘If you tell us what you know, we can come to an agreement and share our information with each other.’

Zitao doesn’t blink as he stares at Namjoon, appraising the Kutsoglerin with a single raised-eyebrow. The ship hums to life and a slight jolt is all the indication they have that they’re in the air.

‘Namjoon.’

Sk’jin is staring at Namjoon, his expression serious, his tone of voice has a slight hint of pleading in it.

‘Trust me.’

Everyone, including Zitao it seemed, all hold their breaths, anticipating Namjoon’s reply.

Then slowly, Namjoon nods once.

Sk’jin suddenly starts speaking in Long-Huon with a rapidity that sounded and felt more native than Standard.

It’s not too surprising, considering how most pirates, especially from the past millenniums were a collection of Beings discarded from modern Standard societies of the Universe. They spoke a huge variety of languages, and Hoseok guesses Sk’jin rarely spoke it aboard his own ship when he was captain unless it was to GLA officers or even to other pirating clans.

Namjoon is clearly uncomfortable by this but then Yoongi quietly chimes in, ‘He’s relaying the general summary of our mission and what has happened so far. He hasn’t mentioned the details regarding Jimin’s planet and identity.’

Namjoon visibly relaxes, though only a tiny bit.

Jimin turns in his seat to face Taeh’yung, quietly murmuring a small question in his own tongue to which Taeh’yung replies with a small nod of his head. Jimin nods at that before getting up and leaving the Lobby, heading upstairs.

Namjoon doesn’t move, doesn’t say anything as Sk’jin speaks without pause, no comment or question coming from Zitao other than to nod a few times or shake his head a few times. His expression is grave and occasionally surprised. Yoongi makes his way down, quietly slipping into their midst and standing behind where Taeh’yung sat to the side. Glancing at the screen inside the Bay that was still activated, Hoseok catches a glimpse of Jimin sitting at the Table, Jungkook sitting on the floor nearby.

After what feels like a whole hour, Sk’jin finally stops.

‘Okay,’ Zitao says simply. ‘Can I see Yoongi?’

‘Yes.’

Zitao jumps again, hand going up to his chest at once as he curses again.

‘Sk’jin tells me you have a mark on your back. Can I see it?’ the Long-Huon asks.

Yoongi nods and pulls his shirt off as he turns around.

It’s unnerving no matter how many times Hoseok has seen it. That, and the old tissue scars, skin lesions, and permanent discolouration that spread all over the Human’s back.

Zitao eyes it carefully, leaning in a little.

‘This has always been on you?’

‘I believe so. All of the the GI agents had it,’ Yoongi replies.

‘Thank you,’ Zitao steps back and Yoongi pulls his shirt back on.

‘Okay- so no one freak out but I’m going to call a friend who will be able to clear up matters,’ Zitao declares.

‘…where are we picking him up-‘

Hoseok has never worked with anyone from Dakaṣayai before but he’s definitely heard of their abilities, and how the discovery of their planet and subsequently their species, lead to highest-ever success rate of undercover agency within the Underverse after the adoption of Hoseok’s own species into the Venture Unit.

And even though Hoseok is aware of their existence, having one teleport feet from you was startling, regardless of any advanced warning.

Hoseok immediately recognizes him and this recognition is reflected in the Dakaṣayai’s eyes as well as he glances at Hoseok. He hasn’t changed much- only his hair is a little longer, a softer shade of brown. Every inch of his visible skin is covered in the distinctive Dakaṣayaii tattoo patter, unique to each individual.

Dakaṣayai was an intriguing planet, only quite recently listed into the Known Universe. The species from Dakaṣayai were even more intriguing with the ability to actually teleport- a phenomena that not even the Yisheng could really explain but knew was heavily intertwined with Time itself. They were a very welcome addition to any work-space they decided to engage in, with their intelligence, adaptability, and not to mention, teleportation. If Hoseok isn’t mistaken, his name is Kai.

He nods once in greeting before breaking out into what Hoseok recognizes as the “professional face” and smiles politely, ignoring the stunned expressions of everyone in the room.

‘Hello. My name is Kai,’ he introduces himself. ‘It’s nice to meet you-?!’

Taeh’yung leaps at him, arms wrapped around him in a strong hug.

‘Jonginnieeeeeee!’ the Zhak’gri squeals. ‘It’s so good to see you!’

Kai looks stunned before he breaks out into a much more genuine smile.

‘Hi Taeh’yung- it’s good to see you again too.’

‘Oh Spaces is Baek with you?’ Taeh’yung makes himself small, literally vibrating with happiness.

‘No- he’s visiting his home-planet right now,’ Kai tells him. ‘I’m sure if he knew he would have insisted on coming.’

Taeh’yung beams even brighter.

‘Uh-‘

‘This is Kai,’ Zitao introduces with a lazy wave of his hand. ‘A friend.’

Kai gives Zitao an amused look before he nods and says, ‘I have been briefed on what’s happened-‘

‘-you mean you eavesdropped,’ Sk’jin states flatly.

Eavesdropped-?!’ Namjoon stutters, ‘How?!’

‘Oh don’t worry! You’re still very much very invisible! Well you were!’ Kai hastily says, ‘I mean- we just followed Zitao’s concentration-‘

‘There’s no need to go into details what you need to know is that we are not actively following you or tracking you- due to my connection with Sk’jin I can normally hone in on where he is, and how he’s doing,’ Zitao cuts in smoothly. ‘He can do the same, but seeing how surprised he was to see me it’s clearly-‘

‘-kid please-‘

‘-can you not call me that here-‘

‘Can we get back to the topic at hand,’ Hoseok calls with a frown. ‘Seeing as you now know the details of our mission, as an agent to another, can we trust that you will not inform on us?’

Kai regards him with a serious look before stating, ‘I have no ties with the Venture Unit, or any other organization. I only answer to my family; and by revealing what you are doing, would hurt mine. So no, I will not reveal you. Can I expect the same from you?’

Hoseok nods.

‘The organization, or the Beings you have described,’ Kai begins with a nod towards Sk’jin, ‘are not the Akramanese- they were not born of what the Yisheng’s created- but are instead what we have gathered are Beings they themselves created, or took and reformed.’

‘The Omhlophe?’

‘I did not know they had a name, but they were there.’ Kai nods.

‘Where?’ Hoseok inquires.

‘When the Akramanese were made known to us, we were captured and taken aboard their ship.’ Kai begins before he pauses as though wondering how to plainly state everything in the simplest way possible.

‘I was taken aboard the ship,’ Kai explains, his tone is still light, his expression carefully controlled and his posture is “relaxed”. ‘I woke up in a large circular chamber, surrounded by…by many many Beings, afloat and asleep within their units like OrTanks. I do not know what we were doing there, why were placed there- but we were soon taken out and into a medical facility.’

Kai speaks carefully, purposefully editing his words to leave out certain things- mainly names and details about what he saw and what he heard. Hoseok doesn’t know if this is because he doesn’t trust them, or because he doesn’t want to speak it out loud.

And Hoseok understands the latter. Because he has seen and heard things that he would never speak out loud- never allow it to be heard by others, to let them, by connection, associate unimaginable horror and evil with the words he spoke aloud.

‘Other than the Akramanese, I saw others- I did not know who they were, but they were working under the instruction of the Akramanese. They were in charge of torture without clear intention.’ Kai explains. ‘They appeared aware and were participating in their activities. Who or what they were was unclear to me then, and is still unclear to me now.’  

Hoseok internally winces.

‘Did they look like this?’ Namjoon taps along his screen until he pulls up images of the Omhlophe, taken from their various side encounters, including the line they had received of their order to meet at Ynqaba.

Kai looks at the projections carefully and so does Zitao.

‘The masks weren’t there before,’ he says after a while. ‘The one I saw- she…she wore no mask. But she wore white- very similar to this.

‘I’m sorry but how do we know this isn’t a convenient fabrication-‘ Namjoon begins, eyeing Kai carefully.

‘He’s not lying.’

Jimin appears by the stairs, Jungkook crouched behind him, peeking past his legs at the scene below.

‘There is no lie in his Soul.’ He smiles before adding, ‘There is no lie within a star of two.’

Kai’s expression changes completely, as though blown away before he smiles what Hoseok can see is a very genuine one. He bows elegantly towards Jimin who flushes, hands violently waving as though trying to stop him.

Zitao elbows Kai lightly and the latter continues, ‘We were rescued, and taken back to be healed. That was when we realized that something strange had happened- something wrong had been done to one of us.’

Kai, with some hesitance pulls out a screen from his inner pocket before setting up a small holographic projection of a still image.

The image in it looks very much like Yoongi’s back, an indented line runs down the spine.

‘This wasn’t there before,’ Kai announces. ‘When we came back, his back appeared like this, with no explanation or indication of how it got there.’

Jimin and Yoongi have stepped up closer, the former with a confused expression.

‘And now?’ Jimin inquires.

‘It’s gone. After the Akramanese were destroyed, it vanished.’ Kai replies with a shrug.

Jimin frowns at that before looking at Yoongi almost helplessly. Yoongi doesn’t comment, only stares at the back quietly.

‘Human?’ is all he says.

Kai blinks in surprise.

‘Yes…so are you?’ the Dakaṣayaii asks carefully.

Yoongi nods before he turns to look at Jungkook.

‘We’re the same. To an extent.’

‘Can I see?’ Kai asks.

Yoongi nods, pulling up his shirt to reveal his back again. Jimin says something to Jungkook who nods a little slowly before he too pulls up his shirt.

Kai’s expression is closed-off, his eyes dark. He looks at Yoongi’s back and then at Jungkook’s who lowers his shirt immediately again.

‘Excuse me.’

And startling Jungkook, Kai vanishes just as he had appeared.

‘What was that-‘ Namjoon begins, standing in alarm, expression suspicious.

‘Please wait-‘ Zitao is saying, standing as well, his hand reaching up to tap at his ear, clearly listening to someone over his Comm-Device that blinks a little.

Namjoon is quick to pull Sk’jin over to the side.

‘I hope you know what you’re doing,’ Namjoon breathes out quietly. ‘I’m aware that you trust them. I recognize Kai myself- Hoseok and I have seen him during the Court trials- and I am aware of his connection to the Gaia Case. But they’re too close- and he’s able to see where you are- they can follow us here-‘

‘-it’s fine,’ Sk’jin says quietly and calmly, not looking away from Namjoon’s determined gaze. ‘Trust me on this.’

‘What reason have you given me to trust you?’ Namjoon asks through gritted teeth.

This is how I’m earning your trust,’ Sk’jin replies, breaking their stare to glance over at Hoseok before adding, ‘This is me helping.’

Namjoon looks away from Sk’jin to also glance at Hoseok, as though waiting for him to give his say.

But before Hoseok can say or do anything, he’s saved the need to referee Namjoon’s and Sk’jin’s argument by the reappearance of Kai, but this time, he brings someone else with him.

Hoseok recognizes him too- he’s read his files and was one of the few thousands of Humans who survived what happened on Earth the day the Akramanese had attacked their planet. Taeh’yung squeals in delight, waving violently but not jumping him like he did Kai.

‘Hello my name is Do Kyungsoo and I am co-Navigator of the Stravechi Nava,’ the Human introduces himself in a clear and oddly deep voice. Hoseok wildly wonders if this is a Human trait: short, deep voice, a deadpan stare. ‘I was told that another Human was onboard here and had a curious mark down his back.’

Yoongi steps from the side at that, again startling Zitao who curses under his breath, making Sk’jin give him an amused smile.

‘I am genetically Human but have no personal memory of Earth save from Yoongi’s memories.’ The Human states bluntly.

Do Kyungsoo frowns a bit at that, head tilting a little. He looks around at them, no surprise registering on his face as he studies each of them.

If Hoseok isn’t mistaken, one of them probably had an Iris or something equivalent to that.

‘Why is this important to you?’ Namjoon asks.

‘When we were taken by the Akramanese, we were subjected to experimental practices,’ Kyungsoo states flatly.

It was most definitely a Human thing.

‘I don’t know what they did to me, but I left the ship with an indent on my back,’ Kyungsoo explains. ‘It disappeared when the Akramanese were destroyed.’

‘How?’ Jimin asks, thoroughly confused.

‘I don’t know,’ Kyungsoo shrugs. ‘We still don’t know.’

‘So Yoongi,’ Zitao speaks, addressing the former GI agent. ‘You were born out of those OrTanks?’

‘I believe so,’ Yoongi replies, ‘I have no exact memory of it. I was only aware when a GLA officer by the name of Zhoumi applied an Android Core and installed it in me.’

The reactions from this statement on all three of the guests mirror the same level of shock, confusion, and anger.

‘Z-Zhoumi?’ Zitao repeats before turning on Sk’jin who immediately raises his hands up, also equally shocked.

‘I didn’t know,’ the Khol’isa manages to get out, eyes wide.

‘How do you know of him?’ Kyungsoo asks, pulling himself together.

‘He personally hired me to carry out duties on his behalf. I worked for him for a total of 7 sols.’ Yoongi replies. ‘He took interest in me and gave me my name.’

‘You mentioned…’ Kyungsoo looks at him curiously. ‘You mentioned that you have no personal memories of Earth, except for Yoongi’s memories- what do you mean by this?’

Namjoon twitches at this but doesn’t say anything.

‘I believe I was made in the image of the Human Being Min Yoongi of Earth.’ Yoongi replies. ‘While I may be genetically identical to him, I do not carry his soul, or his mind in me. But his memories appear to me in Dreams. And I can feel his Heart too.’

Kyungsoo pales, blinking hard for a moment. Kai standing next to him reacts the same but a few seconds delayed, before he glances down at Kyungsoo. The latter twitches, something that was like a reaction- maybe a nervous tick, before he scratches at his arm, revealing some of the skin. It’s brief but Hoseok catches sight of black lines like tattoos spread over his skin, identical to the ones of Kai’s arms.

‘What all do you see?’ Kai asks.

‘Most of his memories are foggy,’ Yoongi replies, ‘The ones I remember most accurately and most vividly are the months before his death. Before the Akramanese took him away.’

Kyungsoo studies Yoongi carefully, a strange expression on his face, lips slightly parted. Then he looks at Jungkook who looks away almost immediately, nervously fidgeting.

‘And you found Jungkook in Ynqaba, but he’s not one of the GI?’ Kyungsoo asks.

‘No,’ Sk’jin replies a little tensely. ‘In fact, him being here, how and where we found him, in relation to the Omhlophe is why I wanted to really speak to you. To all of you.’

Zitao nods immediately at that, standing straighter as he begins speaking in a clear voice, ‘I want to help you understand who and what those Beings are, and how they exist, considering the Akramanese are no longer existent, what are the Beings you’ve reported?’

‘I also understand that there is more to this than you can tell us,’ Kai states plainly. ‘And we respect that.’

‘Will you join us?’ Jimin asks, the seriously regality in his tone of voice takes everyone by surprise. ‘We would benefit in a- a union of our knowledge, technology, and identical- uh, ambition, to come to the truth. Will you join us?’

Kai is the one who speaks up after Kyungsoo and Zitao exchange glances.

‘We can’t.’ he says simply. ‘What happened 4 sols ago lead to-…lead to many things. It resulted in more than any of us ever wanted to experience.’

‘Does K’mara have something to do with this,’ Hoseok asks.

Kai nods, ‘We made an agreement- no one from any of the organizations would come to us or seek us, and we in turn would leave everything behind.’

Hoseok nods.

‘What are you looking for? Information? Data? Footage?’ Kai asks in turn. ‘It would be impossible to access the deep-state database.’

Namjoon agrees with a nod before stating, ‘I’m meeting with someone I used to know from when I used to work as an Information Analyst. I’ve asked them to look into any information behind the Omhlophe, based on the locations of their known whereabouts and captured imagery. I’ve also sent inquiries regarding the planet of Ynqaba and possible foul-play from the Yishengs and the Venture Unit.’

There’s no surprise at his announcement from the three, instead they nod as he speaks.

‘I sent them a message. I’m waiting for their response.’

‘I can look into that as well, I can contact my former Information Analyst,’ Kai nods. ‘Broaden the search.’

‘Are they safe?’ Hoseok asks at once.

‘Absolutely. They were the ones who hid me.’

Hoseok trusts in that immediately.

‘We cannot help you or join you in this- but what information or data we can access or send to you, we will,’ Kai concludes.

‘You mentioned before that you were headed to Bhumi,’ Zitao comments, glancing all over the room.

Hoseok sees the way Kyungsoo’s expression shifts slightly at that.

‘We are,’ Namjoon replies, ‘As stated by our mission.’

‘There’s nothing there anymore,’ Zitao frowns. ‘It’s nothing more than an abandoned planet- some pirates go there I think but it’s too far out for any purpose.

‘We are aware,’ Namjoon replies, glancing at Jimin quickly before adding, ‘But our mission-‘

‘I get it,’ Zitao nods before regarding the Kutsoglerin carefully and then over to Jimin. ‘Can’t stray from the mission right?’

Sk’jin snorts.

‘So you found Jungkook in Ynqaba? How?’ Kyungsoo asks.

‘We did,’ Hoseok replies. ‘He was a prisoner held by the locals.’

‘Were there others?’

‘None that we saw no,’ Hoseok replies.

‘What…what do you plan on doing?’ Kyungsoo asks quietly.

‘What do you mean?’ Sk’jin asks, a little defensively. Zitao raises his hand, drawing attention to himself as he locks Sk’jin with a frank expression.

‘I don’t know where you’re headed right now, or what your purpose is,’ Zitao tells them simply, ‘But I know that this is no place for someone so young- or for someone so strangely linked to this.’

They all glance at Jungkook who is sitting higher up on the stairs, a bit too far to properly hear them though Hoseok wouldn’t put it past the Vicitra to overhear their every word.

‘We can take him, and keep him in a safe place. Allow him to grow in a place where he would be safe, no one would question his place.’ Kyungsoo states before saying in a serious tone, ‘This is…very closely linked to events that should have never taken place. And lives were lost- innocent lives, Beings who should have continued living in this Time were taken from us. I understand you want to protect him. But you know that he will be safer away from all of this.’

Hoseok agrees.

Jungkook would be safer away from this ship.

Safer, cared for by Beings who were not all damaged or twisted or just so disassociated with all of Life. Jungkook deserved a chance- after all he went through, after the life he’s lead, Jungkook deserved the life none of them ever got to live.

‘We can’t make these decisions for him,’ Sk’jin says tersely. ‘It’s up to Jungkook to decide what he wants to do. Where he wants to go.’

‘Could you give us some time to explain?’ Namjoon asks.

‘Of course,’ Zitao nods. ‘We’ll uh-‘ he looks at the other two who give him identical looks of don’t look at me I don’t know before he says, ‘-uh look at…your Medical Bay.’

He fidgets awkwardly for a moment before he steps inside the Bay, followed by both Kai and Kyungsoo- the former loudly stating how wonderful the Bay was.

Hoseok catches amused looks from Namjoon and Jimin. Sk’jin on the other hand has a blank expression on his face, head bowed a moment before he walks over to where Jungkook was sitting by the stairs. They all follow after the Khol’isa and settle around in a loose semi-circle. Jungkook shuffles downwards, expression expectant and a little confused.

‘Hey Kookie,’ Sk’jin smiles, crouching next to Jungkook. ‘I want to be honest with you.’

Jungkook looks at all of them, confusion even more evident on his face.

‘We…we are not good Beings. We are not…we are not doing good things.’ Sk’jin begins bluntly. ‘We’re dangerous- what we’re doing is dangerous- even more so for you, for Yoongi, and for Jimin. We are running from a danger we don’t understand, towards a destination we do not understand or see. Most of us…most of us don’t trust each other.’

There’s a short laugh from the Khol’isa before he continues. ‘But you- you’re not like us. You were born into a loving family, a caring home. You were pulled out of that, and your life was changed. But…but that doesn’t mean you can’t hope to find something like that again- or to have a safe and healthy life, away from danger, away from pain, from hunger. And if you go with my friend Tao, he can help you find that.’

Hoseok, to his horror finds his throat tight, eyes almost burning as though threatening to spill tears. Jimin is in obvious pain, lips pressed down tight to the point of appearing bloodless. Yoongi stands behind him, watching silently, his expression closed-off. Oddly enough, Taeh’yung is also channeling the same expression, but instead he’s watching Sk’jin rather than Jungkook.

‘And we don’t want to tell you what to do but I think you-‘

‘Stay here,’ Jungkook manages to get out, interrupting Sk’jin, ‘I want to stay here.’

Sk’jin looks upset, almost angry. But Taeh’yung is there, shuffling around in front of him.

‘Kookie,’ he smiles. ‘Are you sure?’

Jungkook looks around at them before nodding once.

‘I’m sure.’

Unsure why, but Hoseok feels relieved.

Sk’jin steps back, still looking angry- but more than anything, he looks distraught.

Zitao pokes his head out, seeing as how they’re all moving back into the Lobby.

‘He said he wants to stay,’ Sk’jin reports tersely.

‘All right.’ Zitao claps his hands together, ‘We’ll get going I guess.’

‘When do you expect a response from your friend?’ Kai asks as he emerges with Kyungsoo, their hands linked.

Hoseok notices how Jimin stares at their hands, eyes trailing over the identical visible patterns over their wrists.

‘In 3 days time.’ Namjoon replies.

‘I’ll contact you then. How long are you staying here?’

‘Until we get the information,’ Namjoon replies before Sk’jin snorts again and says, ‘Why ask when you know?’

‘Sk’jin!’ Zitao smiles in a way that’s more scary than welcoming. ‘Can I talk to you for a bit?’

Sk’jin nods and without another word the two leave the Lobby and head for the Lobby upstairs.

Kai and Kyungsoo stand there, clearly feeling a little awkward before they both smile. It’s much more genuine and warmer than before.

‘Good luck,’ Kyungsoo tells them and then looking at Yoongi adds, ‘Be careful.’

The two disappear in the blink of an eye and Jimin and Jungkook both jump a little, still not used to it.

‘Is this safe?’ Hoseok asks, unable to get rid of the discomfort building under his skin.

‘Nothing really is,’ Namjoon sighs dramatically.

Hoseok wants to open a window and scream out of it again.

Namjoon studies the doorway leading into the Hangar for a moment before sighing and then saying, ‘Our supplies are all here right? Nothing missing?’

‘All here I think,’ Hoseok raises an inquiring look over at Jimin and Jungkook who both nod at once.

‘Okay- guess we should distribute the stuff.’

‘Pa! I got you a great hair colour! You’ll love it!’ Taeh’yung declares at once, latching onto Namjoon’s good arm. ‘Come! I’ll show you!’

Namjoon allows himself to be dragged away, followed shortly by Jungkook who gnaws at his lower lip, sharp strong teeth on display as he asks tentatively, ‘Did…is Sk’jin angry at me?’

‘No,’ Hoseok says firmly before reaching over to gently ruffle the Vicitra’s hair. ‘He’s just got a lot on his mind.’

‘Yoongi come look at your hair colour!’ Taeh’yung calls, poking his head from the doorway.

Yoongi and Jungkook head towards the Hangar, the latter instantly competing with the Human in speed and he darts past quickly.

‘What do you think?’ Jimin asks him quietly, not moving from where he stood.

‘About what?’ Hoseok asks tiredly.

Jimin blinks a moment before saying, ‘About Jungkook staying. I said I would be responsible. That I- I would- will, takin-take care of him. But- I know this is dangerous.’

‘There’s not a lot of things we can do with our situation,’ Hoseok shrugs. ‘But we’ve made our choices- and so has Jungkook. And yeah- I guess it isn’t fair because I don’t think he really understands. But the option for him to leave is always open. Just like all of us. We can all leave any time we want.’

Jimin presses his lips together in a thin line, expression unreadable. Then after a moment or two, he nods.

‘Where is Kai from?’ Jimin asks, uncrossing his arms, his posture loosening up.

‘A planet called Dakaṣayai.’ Hoseok replies with a smile. ‘Did you notice something?’

‘Their souls were beautiful,’ Jimin smiles. ‘Bright- soft, almost-…no, it was the same. I am confused.’

‘You were confused. But I think you could sense it right? You said so yourself.’

Jimin nods, ‘A star of two,’ he repeats himself, ‘It’s what I se-saw. I don’t know how to describe.’

Hoseok smiles before he says, ‘Did you see the Human’s arms? He had those lines- they’re not tattoos- they’re a mirror-image of the lines on Kai’s skin.’

‘What does it mean?’ Jimin asks.

‘The Dakaṣayaii believe that all souls are born in stars- and that with every star born, 2 souls are born. Kai and Kyungsoo are souls born from the same star, soul-mates if you will.’ Hoseok explains as he makes his way to the Lobby table, switching off the projector that was still displaying the unsettling image of the Omhlophe. ‘I’m not sure how true it is- but that’s what the Dakaṣayaii believe and stand by.’

‘And will they always meet? The star-souls?’ Jimin asks quietly.

‘I don’t know,’ Hoseok replies honestly. ‘But I know that they also believe that when they die, the star they’re born from goes into supernova.’

It’s quiet for a while and when Hoseok looks up, is stunned to find tears silently rolling down Jimin’s cheeks.

‘Hey- oh, Spaces, sorry I didn’t mean to upset you,’ Hoseok says at once.

Jimin just shakes his head before glancing up at the stairs and quickly dabbing at his cheeks and says, ‘Thank you for telling me,’ and hurries towards the Hangar.

Sk’jin and Zitao reappear, both have very neutral expressions on their faces but Hoseok knows it’s all a front.

‘I’ll be going,’ Zitao announces just as Kai reappears behind him, making Sk’jin jump in surprise again.

The Dakaṣayaii grins sheepishly.

‘Keep in touch,’ Zitao smiles though it sounds more like a warning.

Sk’jin rolls his eyes in response, not even looking back for a reaction. Before Zitao can angrily retort Kai grabs his shoulder and they disappear.

‘It’s weird isn’t it?’ Sk’jin says, ‘I feel so open and weirdly exposed- the idea that Beings like Kai exist- the whole concept is really strange-‘

‘What did Zitao mean by that?’ Hoseok cuts across before Sk’jin can start a whole tirade on the Dakaṣayaii.

‘By what?’ Sk’jin asks tiredly. ‘By saying that thing about me dying? We’re all dying Hobi. We’re all headed there from the moment we’re born.’

‘But you can’t,’ Hoseok frowns. ‘The Khol’isa-‘

‘-bunch of crap,’ Sk’jin sighs before frowning a little and saying, ‘You know very well that I’m not-…I’m not well. I’m Khol’isa yeah, but not like what I used to be. I think it’s a little obvious with all of this gone.’

He gestures to his temples and Hoseok remembers the image of Sk’jin from his pirating days, of the beautiful and fragile looking horns adorning his head.  

‘Sk’jin-‘

‘Look if it’s serious or something terrible I would have mentioned it okay?’ Sk’jin snaps before sighing and adding, ‘Okay I wouldn’t have. But it’s not serious. I’m like…I’m like all of you now okay? My body just doesn’t know how to handle it.’

Hoseok knows he can’t push it. Not now.

‘Does this have to do with what happened in the-‘

‘Hoseok,’ Sk’jin voice is hard and terse. ‘Leave it.’

‘Hobi! Come see Pa’s hair colour! I managed to put it on!’ Taeh’yung announces loudly before appearing at the doorway. ‘And you too Jinnie! Let’s change hair colours!’

The smile on Sk’jin’s face is incredibly believable as he responds enthusiastically to Taeh’yung’s hair-changing proposal. They walk into the gateway, their laughter and Sk’jin’s high-pitched squeaky laughter followed by Namjoon’s grumpy sounding response echoes out.

Hoseok sighs long and slow, gearing up to enter the Bay.

It’s a random thing- and Hoseok doesn’t know why he stops. But he does.

Picking up Sk’jin’s screen the Khol’isa had placed over on the Lobby couches, he moves quickly, easily memorizing the coordinates and channel frequency and saving it to his own. Yoongi had also used it, communicating with whoever had been on the other end of the line.

‘Hobi?’ Taeh’yung pokes his head in.

‘I’m coming buggy,’ Hoseok smiles, casually sliding the screen over to the table and propping up some of the misplaced pillows and cushions.

‘Does Namjoon like his new hair colour?’

Taeh’yung grins fiendishly at him.

‘He will.’

Namjoon seems resigned to his new purple hair, not having enough arms to even attempt to fight the hair application as Taeh’yung once again displays his uncanny strength. Sk’jin sits on top of the water-cells, fixing his own hair and staining it a warm shade of brown with careful skill.

Jimin is chuckling in a low voice as he carefully applies the applicator on Yoongi’s faded blue hair. Yoongi’s eyes are just closed and Hoseok wonders if he’s fallen asleep. Jungkook watches with fascination, eyes wide as though disbelieving that some paste could completely transform hair colour in a matter of seconds.

‘Wash!’ Jimin urges Yoongi, pushing him up and towards the collapsible sink to the side. Jungkook follows, eyes narrowed as he watches as though hoping to find some form of trickery in this hair-colouring trick.

But when Yoongi emerges with wet dark hair, expression blank, Jungkook’s jaw drops.

He touches the wet strands, then looks at his fingers. Head tilting back and forth sideways before Sk’jin calls him over, an indulgent smile on the Khol’isa’s face.

‘I’m gonna wash my hair out too, wanna watch?’

Jungkook all but flies to the Khol’isa.

Jimin dries Yoongi’s hair for him with a random stretch of cloth Hoseok is pretty sure was meant to be used in maintenance but it looked clean so he’s not going to judge. Taeh’yung oohs at Yoongi, clapping his hands as he regards the Human with his now brown hair with obvious approval.

Namjoon gives him a tired look before he gets to his feet. He glances over at Sk’jin and Jungkook, worry evident in his gaze. But he looks away again before clearing his throat and makes an announcement.

‘Right- let’s clear everything away and start on-‘

Kai appears out of nowhere, making Jungkook leap backwards, Yoongi literally pushing Jimin down and under a table, and Sk’jin nearly jumps out of his skin. Before anyone can even remotely speak, the Dakaṣayaii spots Namjoon and asks: ‘You know Em?’

‘Uh-‘

There’s an awkward silence broken only by Jimin’s mumbling complaints as he gets out from under the table.

‘Yeah- wait how do you know Em-‘

‘Well. I think this just makes everything so much easier,’ Kai smiles and again its alarmingly contradicting with how he had appeared just up until a second ago. ‘I can take you to Em- she’s asked me to bring you when she realized that we both asked her for the same information! Oh- nice hair colour!’

‘Y-your Analyst was Em?’ Namjoon asks incredulously before pausing and adding, ‘Well, that makes sense.’

‘There’s also someone else who wants to meet you,’ Kai adds, ‘To talk about Bhumi.’

Jimin’s head snap towards them at this, eyes narrowing.

‘Who is it?’ he asks.

Kai looks surprised that Jimin would ask the question.

‘Someone who is interested in the mission- he would like to address the Captain of the mission personally. He has some knowledge regarding the planet.’ Kai replies evasively.

Jimin eyes him, eyes gleaming strangely and Hoseok can see how Kai stiffens at this, clearly uncomfortable with the way Jimin is looking at him.

‘I want to come,’ Jimin states plainly.

Yoongi and Jungkook both stare at Jimin in shock.

‘Um-‘ Kai begins.

‘No. If your friend is interested in discussing Bhumi, then he will want to meet with Jimin,’ Namjoon says at once, a serious look on his face as he exchanges looks with Jimin who nods in agreement.

Kai pauses, then he nods, as though he too received some form of approval.

‘Okay- let’s go,’ he raises his hand towards Namjoon.

‘Right now?’ Sk’jin demands. ‘But-‘

‘No this is good,’ Hoseok says quickly. ‘We can leave sooner than later this way.’

‘Agreed,’ Namjoon says before adding, ‘Hoseok you’re in charge now. We’ll be back soon hopefully.’

Sk’jin looks like he’s ready to argue but Jungkook stuns all of them by reaching forward to pull at Namjoon’s empty sleeve.

‘Come back?’ he whispers nervously. ‘Will you come back?’

‘Yeah- yeah I will,’ Namjoon replies, using his good hand to ruffle Jungkook’s hair, the latter only flinches slightly but he’s smiling slowly at that. Then he walks over to Kai and takes his hand.

Kai and Namjoon vanish into thin air.

It’s something Hoseok doesn’t think he could get used to.

Jimin adjusts his beanie over his head, as though preparing for some trek. He looks serious and determined, his expression almost stately as he prepares himself. This was a Jimin who governed and watched over his people.

It was easy forgetting that, when Hoseok is used to seeing Jimin in normal garb, laughing at Taeh’yung’s and Sk’jin’s banter, eating alongside a silent Yoongi and joining in conversations easily in the Kitchens.

Jungkook starts to look confused, glancing around at all of them, clearly reading the atmosphere and feeling strange himself.

Taeh’yung is quick to distract Jungkook, displaying once again, a surprising level of awareness and forethought as he drags the young Vicitra upwards claiming hunger and a promise of good food! Hoseok suppresses an involuntary shudder at what constituted as good food for the Vicitra.

Sk’jin heaves out a heavy sigh before heading out of the Bay, still holding his hair-dye in his hands. Hoseok sits back down to attach the new water-cells before he realizes he’s an unwilling and ignored audience member of one.

‘Jimin.’ Yoongi’s eyes are wide, pupils darting about, clearly very stunned and unable to really react to any of this properly.

‘I’ll come back,’ Jimin says as he places the fabric around Yoongi’s neck to catch stray drops of water.

‘Don’t leave-‘ Yoongi’s hand darts out, gently holding onto Jimin’s hand. ‘I- I can’t protect you-‘

‘I need to find out,’ Jimin tells him gently, hand twisting in Yoongi’s hold just as Kai reappears. ‘We’ll come back.’

Yoongi’s hand tightens briefly before he lets go mechanically. He takes a step back, his movement rigid, as though controlling himself.

Jimin looks up and smiles at Hoseok before quickly leaning in to kiss Yoongi on his cheek, and then he’s gone.

Yoongi’s reaction is violently physical, jumping in shock and for a moment Hoseok wonders if he’s going into some form of panic attack.

But just as violently as that had started, Yoongi stills completely.

Hoseok waits a full minute before he attempts to converse with the Human.

‘Yoongi do you want to join Jungkook and Taeh’yung as they emotionally eat through the new food supplies? It might make you feel better,’ Hoseok offers.

Yoongi doesn’t look at Hoseok but there’s a tiny shrug of his shoulders, his eyebrows raising and he exhales slowly. Almost as though saying well, it’s not like there’s anything I can do is there.

And it’s the most alive action Yoongi has ever taken.

‘Do we have ice-cream.’ He asks.

‘Yeah we do,’ Hoseok grins and stands up. The water-cells could wait. ‘Then if you want, we can open a window and scream out of it.’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(Author’s Notes)

 

UNIVERSITY STARTS FROM TOMORROW I’M NOT READY AND THIS SEMESTER I  HAVE MATH AND THESIS TOGETHER IAUOGFAHIFGHLSDFKJASLFKGHSILFUGASLFJDFDF

Good news is that my sister’s surgery was successful!

And not so good news is I don’t know when I can update the next chapter. It will most definitely be this month though don’t worry.  I just don’t want to say a date and not deliver, but I will update this month!!!

I'm sorry if this chapter seems a little slow and dialogue heavy but it's for building up the next chapters!!