CHAPTER 44

Walking With You (The Second Ending)

              Yerin opened her eyes as the dark receded and sunlight blinded her. She stared at the clear sky as she tried to recall what happen but failed. She got up from lying down on the ground and patted the dirt off her white knee-level dress. She looked around but failed to see any living organism nor buildings. It was a wide meadow and she was all alone. *Wait!*

              She turned around and does not saw an end to the meadow field. *I’m here again*

              She stated to walk. Her face expressed confusion, not like in the previous dream. *Where is the forest? Wait* Yerin covered her eyes with her hands for a couple of second before removing them. She was suddenly in front of the forest. She gasped. The blue-black butterfly was floating in front of her, waiting for her.

“You!” she snarled. “I know you’re behind this. You caused my friends to die!”

              The butterfly flew into the forest. Yerin chased it in anger. It flew above branches before disappeared. She stood and looked around at the tall trees that surrounded her. *Lost again* she snorted and paused. “Wait” Rustles of dried dead leaves could be heard. She turned around *Yoongi oppa!*

              A male with bright hair and red shirt revealed himself not far from her. Suga smiled at her and waved. “Yoongi oppa” she approached him and hugged him tightly. Suga hugged her. She started to sob in his embrace. He leaned in. “Be happy, Yerin” he whispered. “Oppa” her eyes widened at his voice. Suga broke the hug and walked backward. “Oppa, don’t go!” Yerin tried to move but her leg won’t budge. Suga waved with smile and disappeared into the forest. 

              She covered her face with her palm as tears wet her hands. She felt solid sphere in her hands. Yerin looked at it and surprised. Her tears turned into blue marbles. “Namjoon oppa!” She lifted her head and saw him.

              RapMon was standing in front of her with a twig in his grip. He threw the twig away and hugged her. “Namjoon oppa” she cried. “Why do you changed?” He smiled without a word. RapMon planted a kiss on her forehead. She looked at him. RapMon smiled and pointed to the blue-black butterfly. Yerin followed his gaze and saw it. She turned back to only found he was not there anymore. “Oppa” she whispered. “You!” she glared at the butterfly. “He changed because of you!” Yerin chased it. 

              She almost ran into a lake but she managed to stop. The butterfly once again disappeared. “Seokjin oppa!” she remembered meeting Jin at the enormous lake and she gazed forward to found Jin sitting on the rock in the middle of the lake. “Oppa!” she blinked back tears. Jin smiled at her. Yerin remembered able to walk on the lake. She approached the lake. “No, Yerin” Jin voiced that took her attention. She looked at him and the lake one after another. She had her feet dip into the lake. And her feet sink into the freezing water, not like last time. She looked at him confused. Jin shook his head with smile. “I’m not your time yet”

“What do you mean, oppa?” “You’ll come here later. Now someone needs you” “But who? Everyone that I need is here. I want to join you guys here” “No, Yerin. You have Namjoon. Take care of him for us” Jin smiled. He bent over and dipped his hand into the cold liquid. Like last time, the butterfly was in his hand.

“Please be happy, Yerin” he held the butterfly towards her. Yerin wiped her tears and shook her head. “How can I be happy without all of you?” Jin smiled in reply. The butterfly flew off his palm. Yerin followed it trail slowly and glanced back, hoping to see Jin at the lake. But he wasn’t there. “How can everyone I love left me?” She wiped her tears with her arm.

              She bumped into someone that both of them fell backward onto the forest floor. She winched but then lifted her gaze. J Hope was smiling at her. He bent over and held out his hand for her to grab. “Hobie oppa” she smiled as he took his hand. J Hope pulled her into his embrace tightly. He broke the hug and smiled warmly. J Hope wiped her tears that flowed down her cheeks. Yerin grabbed his hands and held on it tightly to her cheeks. J Hope smirked and cherished her head.

“I miss you” she looked into his eyes. “I miss you too” he replied with smile.

              The two walked through the woods with J Hope knocking the bushed with branch like in her previous dream. Yerin lifted her head and saw the bushes of roses like in her previous dream. “But it’s blue”

              J Hope glanced at her who seems to be bewildered. He plucked one of the roses and turned to Yerin. She looked at him and the flower after one another. “But it has no thorn at all”

“It’s too late, Yerin” J Hope smirked but his voice trailed a hint of despair. “Everything is just a dream now. Not exist. Just like the blue rose. We’re gone. And we bring along the thorn away with us and left you with this thorn less rose”

“Oppa” her heart dropped at the sight of tear slipped down his cheek. J Hope bent over and curled a lock behind her ears. Yerin reached out and wiped his tears. “I’m okay, Yerin” he smiled and cupped her face. “Why are you so beautiful?”

              Yerin smiled. He took her hand again and they continued to walk.

“I hope you can go on with your life” J Hope glanced at her. “And take care of yourself. Have courage, okay?” his grip loosened. “Oppa” she called him, knowing it was time to part. Her heart shattered. “Thank you, Yerin. For your presence in our life” he let go off her.

              She mustered a smile as her tears flowed down. “Thank you to all of you too” she waved. He waved back with smile. Yerin dragged her heavy feet away, her tears trailed her path. She turned away and walked ahead. Yerin glanced back and see no sight of J Hope. She wiped her tears as it flowed rapidly.

“Yerin-ah, where are you?”

              She heard the voice and looked around.

“Yerin-ah”

“Tae!” she ran as her view darted around the forest, looking for V. Yerin’s steps stopped as he saw another guy standing under a tree with wooden swing. The guy smiled at her.

“Taehyung-ah!” she ran to him and threw her arms around him. They embraced each other tightly for a moment. V searched for her eyes and wiped her tears. He smiled.

“I miss you, Tae” she whispered as he held on his hand. “We miss you. I miss you a lot” he smiled. V glanced back at the swing. She followed his gaze.

“We used to play with that when we were little” he voiced. “We used to have fun together ever since we were little” she replied. “Then we grew up and met all these nice people, treasuring every beautiful and sad memories together. I wish we can all go back to that time and stayed there forever”

V chuckled. “Time is not our friend, Yerin. We can do nothing about it. We can only reminisce the moment” He entwined their hands and dragged her away from the swing. Yerin glanced back at the swing that moved slightly to the breeze.

“Tell me” V took her attention again. “If we could still live together, will you still love me?”

“Of course, Tae. You’re the best person I’ve ever met” Yerin gave him a small smile.

“But you know you can find someone else right?”

              Yerin stopped and V too. She turned to him in disbelieve.

“I mean someone need to stay by your side. After all of us are not around. I’m not around. Who will take care of you?” V continued.

“What? Taehyung” “Listen, Yerin” he entwined their hands and faced her. “You must find another person to take care of you. To replace me”

“Replace you? What are you talking about? I’m not going to replace you!” “Life must go on, Yerin. I don’t want because of our departure, you suffer in your life. You don’t want to go on with your life”

“But” Yerin couldn’t lift her head as she started to sob. She couldn’t imagine having to love someone else other than V. He embraced her and caressed her head. “I love you, Yerin. That’s why I’m letting you go. Please. Find someone who can replace me in your heart, okay? That’s all I ask. For you to continue with your precious life. Don’t waste it, get it?”

              She couldn’t reply. V broke the hug and searched her face. He gave her a sweet smile and pulled her to continue to walk. Yerin wiped her tears and lifted her head only to found them at the end of the forest.

“You know you have to meet the others, right?” V asked with a warm smile. “Aniya” she shook her head and tears flowed down. “I don’t want to go”

“Yerin” V cupped her face and wiped her tears. “I’ll wait for you here, okay? And I hope I can meet the cool guy that you chose to replace me” he teased.

“What the” she punched his shoulder lightly. “Ouh” V chuckled but his eyes started to tear. He caressed her head lovingly. Yerin reached out her arms around his neck. She pressed her lips against his icy cold lips and he replied her kiss. A tear slipped down his cheek. V pulled back and patted her head with a small smile he could muster. “Goodbye, Yerin”

              Yerin took his hands. “Goodbye, Taehyung. Thank you so much for everything” V nodded in reply. He lifted his gaze out to the open field ahead. Yerin took a step forward as they locked gazes. She mustered a smile and as she walked ahead, they let go off each other’s hands. Yerin doesn’t dare to turn back and she continued to sob as she stepped into the green open field. 

*The hill* she saw the same hill in front of her. She turned back to see no sight of V. Only the empty forest without anyone. Her knees gave up and she flopped down onto the grasses. Yerin sobbed hard.

 

              A shadow fell over her as she felt stronger breeze surround her. Yerin lifted her head.

“Yerin noona” Jungkook was holding the spool to her. “Kookie-yah” Yerin smiled and hugged him. “I miss you. I miss all of you”

“We miss you too, noona” Jungkook patted her back. He helped her to stand.

“Wait” Yerin glanced around. They were already on top of the hill. Her eyes went to the butterfly kite. “Here” he held the spool to her. She held onto it with him. Yerin glanced at him. They exchanged smiles. “You helped me with the kite in my previous dream” “I know” he chuckled. “And you helped me when I was alive. Thank you, noona. But can I ask one last favour?”

“Of course” “Can you” he paused. He turned up to the kite. “Tell my mom and brother that I love them so much? That I’m waiting for them here. And I apologise” tears slid down his cheeks.

“I’ll tell them that. Don’t worry” Yerin patted his back and couldn’t stop herself from crying too. “Thanks noona” he smirked and glanced at her. Yerin followed his eyes to the butterfly kite. The string snapped and the kite turned into butterfly and flew away.

“Goodbye, Yerin noona” Jungkook held her hand. “Be happy”

“Goodbye Kookie” she sobs and he let go off her hand as she started to walk down the hill.

              Yerin stopped halfway and turned back to see no sight of Jungkook. She sighed and turned to look for the butterfly again. “Where did it go?” she walked down the hill and wandered around. Her steps paused. “Don’t tell me” she covered her eyes with both her hands. The moment she opened it, the green field was filled with frozen soap bubbles. She tried to touch one of them and shivered at the cold bubble that popped a moment later. She turned around to see Jimin and the bubble wand in his grip. “Yerin” he called. His voice trailed sadness.

“Jimin!” Yerin threw her arms around him. They embraced each other. “I miss you” “All of us miss you so much, Yerin” They broke the hug.

“I know what Namjoon hyung did but I couldn’t tell the others” he confessed. “You know? How?” “He tried to straggled me to dead but then he revealed himself to me and what he had done to the others. I told the others but” he sighed. “It seems that none of us can ever accept the fact that he did that”

“Because you love each other so much” He nodded at her statement. “I forgive him. All of us forgive him. But you should be careful with Namjoon hyung. You’re not supposed to be here yet” “Don’t worry. I’ll take care of myself. And I hope I can change Namjoon oppa back” “But it’s not easy to change people” “It’s not easy but people change. I’m positive that he can change to be a better person” “I hope” Jimin placed his hand on her shoulder. “He change. And he didn’t harm you”

“Don’t worry. He’s my brother. He’ll never harm me ever again” she smiled. Jimin patted her shoulder to give her strength to hold on. She bit her lips to stop herself from crying.

“Here” Jimin held the bubble wand to her. “Can you blow on it for me because” he glanced around. She followed her gaze to the frozen soap bubbles.

“When I blew on it, it freezes” Jimin chuckled but tears trailed down her cheeks. “Jimin-ah” Yerin hugged him as he sobs. “It seems that happiness is not meant for me. Even the colourful soap bubble turn dull and freeze”

“Don’t worry” she patted his back and took the wand. She wiped his tears and hers. “I can help” she blew on the wand and colourful bubbles escaped to the air.

              A small smile formed on his cold lips. They exchanged smile. “Thank you, Yerin. For making me happy for the last time”

              Yerin giggled and continued to blew on it as Jimin ran around, enjoying the bubbles. Tears streamed down her cheeks. Jimin paused as he saw something.

“Yerin” he pointed to the butterfly. Yerin looked at it and continued to cry. Jimin took the wand and pulled her into embrace. “We’ll see each other later, okay?” he voiced. “All of you we’ll be waiting here right?” “Of course, Yerin. Thank you and goodbye” he broke the hug and smiled at her. “Be strong”

              Yerin nodded and wiped her tears. “Goodbye, Jimin. See you later” she mustered a smile. He nodded and slowly let go off her hand as she walked away from him.

 

              Yerin approached the butterfly as it flew towards her. She glanced back to see a clear green field without Jimin and the bubbles. She turned to the butterfly.

“Tell me. What’s all of this about? What are you?” “World” she heard a whisper from the butterfly.       

“Yerin!” she heard voices shout her name. Yerin turned around to see the boys ran towards her. And the butterfly had turned into seagull. V took her hand to join them to run towards the cliff.

“No wait! That’s a cliff!” she warned. “Just be careful there” Jin glanced at her with a smirk. She was puzzled. They slowed down and stayed at the edge of the cliff. V sat down, letting his legs hang freely at the end of the cliff. They watched the seagull that flew above the sea and cheered happily. Yerin was silent as she was still confused. But she smiled at the sight of their happy face. She looked at the sea and saw a big fish.

“Woah!! A whale!!” Jungkook pointed. Again, they were excited. “You were in my dream, right?” she whispered. “Of course” she heard a whisper that answer her question. Her eyes darted to the whale. She smiled at it.

“Yerin” J Hope called her and held onto her hand. And so did the others. They held her hand. “We’ll be waiting here, okay?”

              Yerin nodded between her sobs. “Goodbye, everyone”

“Goodbye”

              V sighed and his eyes sadden. He approached her from behind and covered her eyes with his hands.     

*            *            *

“Tae” Yerin opened her eyes and tears slid down her cheeks. She looked around to see machines around her and tubes attached to her weak body. The hospital outfit had replaced her blood dipped blouse. She noticed a guy on the chair beside the bed. His head was lowered and he remained silence. *Maybe’s he’s asleep*