Chapter 08

Should I Say "I Love You"?

After my classes of the day I decided to go out with Wendy so that I could avoid meeting Jongin when I arrived at the dorm. We decided to go have some coffee at a small coffee shop near college. Wendy had been busy finishing her sculpture for the SNU gallery in May, so we hadn’t met in quite some time.

When I entered the café she was already sitting in a table near the window. She turned to look at me when I opened the door and enthusiastically waved.

“EUNBIII! It’s been soooo long since I last saw you. Ever since I was selected to make something for the gallery I feel like I haven’t been interacting with human beings for so long.”

“Hi to you to,” I said, laughing.

“You don’t understand Eunbi!” she desperately said, “I dream with marble even when I go to sleep!!”

“Well, it’s your own problem for being so good,” I said.

“Yeah, I know,” she said, flipping her hair.

“So, why did you decide to call me out of my cave today?” she asked after we had ordered.

“Well, I’m kind of avoiding going back to the dorm…” I told her the events of the morning.

“Hey, it was time for your relationship to have some progress!” she exclaimed, “so when are you ing him?”

“Woah, woah, woah, that escalated too quickly. And what do you mean? We’re just friends!”

“Oh come one, stop kidding yourself! I could cut the between the two of you with a pair of scissors!”

“Why is everyone like this today?”

“What do you mean?”

“Baekhyun and Yoongi told me the same thing earlier today…”

“Well, don’t you think that we are saying because there’s a reason to do so?”

“I don’t like you today… you are being too logical…” I whined.

 

The conversation I had with Wendy had me thinking for a while. That’s why I decided to go to the library before heading back to the dorm.

I sat down in a table at the very back of the room and took out my biology textbook. Although I tried really hard to study, I got stuck at the very first line. I read it once and again, but my brain couldn’t string the words into coherent sentences.

Was there really so much between Jongin and me? There must have been a reason why my friends were telling me that there’s something between us. I started thinking back to the interactions between Jongin and me over the past year. Yeah, he’d been flirty. But then again he was also flirty in high school.

Suddenly, I realized that things were repeating themselves. When we were in high school I was also confused over Jongin’s friendliness.

‘NO!’ I told myself, ‘SEO EUNBI YOU WON’T GO THERE!’

A quiet plop on the sit in front of mine brought me back to the real world. When I looked up from my textbook I saw Jongin smiling at me. I immediately held my huge 1000 page textbook up to cover my face.

I kind of decided to just ignore his presences hoping that he would just go away.

“Seo Eunbi-shi, don’t you know it’s bad manners to cover your face with your book?” Jongin teasingly said as he hooked his finger on the top of the book and slowly lowered it.

“How did you know I was here?” I asked.

“Well, it was already 10, and you weren’t back in the dorm, and you didn’t tell me you were going to be late. So obviously I worried. I looked for you everywhere!” Only now did I notice that there was some perspiration on Jongin’s forehead, and he was slightly out of breath. At this my heart skipped a beat. I liked the idea of him worrying about my wellbeing.

“You shouldn’t have come, I was just about to head back to the dorm,” I said.

“Doesn’t matter. This way I can walk you back. So, why didn’t you tell me you would be late?”

“I was still kind of embarrassed by what happened in the morning,” I said, starting to blush just by thinking about the events, “kind of wanted to avoid meeting you.”

“Well, I must accept that your body is in the top 3 I’ve ever seen, and you must know I’ve seen plenty,” Jongin said, making my face become even redder.

“Yah,” I said, lightly bumping my shoulder against his.

“You’ve really got a nice pair of-”

“Yah!” I cut him off before he could finish his sentence, and put myself in stance, preparing to attack him.

“Hey, hey, just kidding,” he said, putting his hands up in sign of surrender.

“See how we can joke about it like friends? There’s no need to get awkward over something as little as that,” Jongin said. And it was true. I had worried all day long about how we would be all awkward when we saw each other again, but we weren’t.

“Although I wasn’t kidding about what I was just going to say,” Jongin said before running away, knowing that I would chase him all the way back to the dorm.

We laughed all the way back to the dorm, and I felt as ease. Of course I was wrong. Jongin was just a friend.