Chapter 11

Should I Say "I Love You"?

The night easily went on, as any other party would have. We drank, we danced and we had a lot of fun. In the end any sort of plan ended up falling through, however, Yoongi and Taehyun still came over and we had a blast.

               When everyone was slowly starting to sober up we decided to play a game called ‘Probability’. The game consisted in someone to ask other two people the Probability, from 0 to 5, that they do something together. It could be as innocent as going for a walk in the park together, or as dirty as hooking up. If the two people said the same number, then they have to do whatever the person creating the situation said. Taehyung started first.

               “What’s the probability that Wendy and Eunbi end up making out at some point in their lives?” he asked, startling me with his bluntness. As I was thinking about how to approach the question, Yoongi started counting backwards from three.

               “3, 2, 1!”

               “1!”

               “0!”

               “Ooh, Wendy’s willing to make out with her best friend,” Seulgi sing-sang.

               “Not really. Eunbi, you know I love you right, but we just wouldn’t work out,” Wendy said while smiling at me.

               Hmm, intelligent move. Saying another number to avoid having to make out.

               Then, it was Yoongi’s turn.

               “Mmmm… How about the probability that Eunbi and I end up hooking up?”

               What’s up with these kids and their corrupted minds?!

               “3, 2, 1!”

               “3!” I said, as the same time as Yoongi said “5!”

               Yoongi immediately turned to look at me with puppy eyes. “Yah! I thought there was something between us! You are dead to me Seo Eunbi!” He then started to fake cry for a while, and then turned to look at me with a playful smile.

               “Ok, ok, now’s my turn,” Wendy declared before I could answer Yoongi’s whining. “The probability and Eunbi and Kai have a steamy hot make out session! 3, 2, 1!”

               “0!” we both yelled at the same time, and then turned to look at each other. As I met Jongin’s eyes I tried to avoid showing my sadness as much as I could. I had decided to go with 0 after having realized that Jongin had no interest in me. However, in a place very very inside I was hoping that Jongin would say a larger number.

               I was expecting to see complicity in Jongin’s eyes, as I thought that he would be laughing at how ridiculous the idea of us being together would. Nevertheless, his eyes looked somewhat nostalgic.

               When I turned to look around our circle of friends everyone was gaping at us.

               “Come on guys! You have to be truthful with your answers!” Wendy whined, “the tension between you guys is no joke. Every time you look at each other you seem to be trying to tell the other person you want to eat them whole!”

               “Doesn’t matter,” Taehyung said with a triumphant smile, “either way they will have to go have a steamy make-out session right now. They both said the same number, remember.”

               Just then it downed in. We had said the same number. I was so horrified after hearing Jongin’s number that I totally forgot the game’s rules.

               “Nonononononono,” I immediately said. “Don’t you think it’s a bit too much of a cruel joke? I mean both of us just stated that there were no chances of us making out!”

               “Dear Eunbi, rules are rules,” Yoongi said.

               I turned to look at Jongin, trying to tell him with my eyes to support me, however he looked utterly terrified. Well, that just did it. My self-esteem went down the drain.

               Suddenly, I felt someone grabbing my wrist, and when I looked up I saw Wendy starting to drag me and Jongin into a storeroom. She threw us in and locked the door.

              

               “Uhmmm… So what are we supposed to do? Do we really have to go through with it?” I whispered, hoping no one outside would hear us.

               Jongin continued looking at me with shock in his eyes.

               “Yah!” I quietly shouted, “Jongin-ah! React! Say something! I know you don’ find me attractive, but it can’t be that bad!”

               That finally made it. Jongin snapped out of his own thoughts.

               “Who told you I found you unattractive?” he asked, surprising me. Of course, he zones out and the first thing he wants to know when he comes back is who the culprit of divulging his secret is.

               “Well, it isn’t that hard to figure out, you know. You try to make a move on every single cute girl on campus, however you’ve never tried to do anything with me. Not even when we live together…” I said. Then thinking better about it I added, “It kind of hurts my pride.” Trying to lighten the mood. I still didn’t want him to know I liked him.

               “Not find you attractive? Eunbi! You’ve got it all wrong! I think you are the hottest girl in all of SNU. Hell, maybe in all of Korean!” he said, clearly frustrated, but still trying to keep his voice down to stop anyone from hearing our conversation. It had rapidly becomes too serious, which was making me uncomfortable.

               “Then explain yourself. Why do you still bring girls into our apartment every day? Why do you treat me as if I was your little sister? Why haven’t you tried to approach me in any way?”

               “Ok, first, if that was how an older brother treated her younger sister it would be a really messed up relationship. Second, don’t you remember in high school? Right after I confessed you firmly told me you didn’t like me. I stop myself from approaching you because of that, I didn’t want to mess with our friendship. Third, the girls I bring in they are mostly to forget about you! However it never works, and I always end up sending them home before anything happens. Happy? Now you’ve just forced me to ruin our friendship forever!”

 

               I was completely dazed. Did Jongin just admit he had feelings for me?

               “If all of that’s true then why did you say that the probability of us making out was 0?” I asked.

               “Yah! Have you listened to a single word I’ve been saying? I didn’t want you to think I liked you, I didn’t want to ruin our relationship.”

               “Sooo… Does that mean you like me?” I asked one more time just to be sure.

               “Uhmm, this is already kind of awkward Eunbi. Don’t make it worse.”

               “Well… there’s just this really small thing I need to tell you, but I had to be sure to avoid any more awkwardness. Jongin-ah, I also like you.”

               “Hmm? Repeat that once more.”

               “Kim Jongin, I really like you. No, scratch that, I love you.”

               “Really?”

               “Yeah…” I murmured, feeling my face heat up, “but it’s still hard to believe you might actually like me back…”

               “No Eunbi, I don’t like you. I love you. Let me show you just how much,” Jongin huskily said with predatory eyes as he came closer to me.

                Maybe the hot make-out session was going to happen after all.