Chapter 02

Should I Say "I Love You"?

A month quickly went by since I moved to Seoul. I started to get into the routine of going to classes and getting ready for the entrance exam for Seoul University; and although I thought it would be impossible, I started to make friends. However, throughout the entire month there was one constant: Kim Jongin. He was key to help me start to fit in this new school.

Once in a while he would invite me to go to parties, and sometimes he would invite me to go out with his friends. Additionally, he always made sure I was sitting with someone during lunch, and if I wasn’t he would immediately leave his friends and sit with me. It might sound like he was baby-sitting me, but this was exactly what I needed to start to feel more comfortable in school.

               The I felt the first time we met was still there, but he was doing absolutely nothing to address it, which both stressed me out and confused me so much. I didn’t know what to do about it, I didn’t know if I should try to make a move, or wait for him to do something about it. Also, sometimes he treated me like his little sister, even when we are the same age!

               For example, today when we sat together during lunch.

“Hey Eunbi!” Jongin said as he slid his food tray on the table and took a seat in front of me, “do you want to go to Jungkook’s party tonight?”

“Tonight?!” I whined, “couldn’t you tell me about this with some anticipation? You know I need time to prepare myself to meet people!”

“I decided to go about 15 minutes ago, that’s why I’m telling you now,” he said. I stared at his hair. It was sticking out in all directions, as if he had constantly slide his hands through it throughout the day. It looked…. Good.

“Well, you could still have invited me even if you were not going,” I said, knowing that what I was saying was total nonsense, however I enjoyed every single second I verbally sparred with Jongin, it had become kind of a hobby.

“Oh, come on sweetheart (I had gotten used to this by now), you know that’s not true. You know you want me there,” he said with a smug smile. That one where he only lift a corner of his lips. He looked me straight in the eye, and I could feel shivers traveling down my back.

“Furthermore,” he continued, “I don’t want anyone to see you in any of those skimpy dresses you wear to parties if I am not going to see you myself. “

Ok, now is it just me or that was totally a hundred percent flirty? But then, it’s like oppa mode kicked in.

“Also, I need to be there to protect you from any predators! I know how scary men can be. We must protect our dear Eunbi’s innocence!” he finally exclaimed, making the entire cafeteria turn to look at us, making me hide my face under my (Jongin’s) sweater. Jongin just ignored it and continued speaking to me.

“So you are calling yourself a scary predator right now?” I asked, hoping he would say something hinting at him looking at me as more than a friend. “Does looking at me make you feel predatory,” I teasingly said, trying to push him.

“YOU?!” He laughed. “Of course not, you are like a dongsaeng. But hey, I’m still a guy, I know the horrible thoughts that go through our minds on a daily basis.”

Well, there went my ego jumping off a cliff.

“So, are you going?” he expectantly asked.

Before I could answer, Jungkook walked by our table.

“Hey, Kai, are you coming today?” he asked. Jongin just ignored him, and continued looking at me as if expecting an answer.

“Yeah, I guess I’ll go,” I said. I couldn’t say no to those puppy eyes.

Jonging then turned to look at Jungkook, “Yeah, we’ll be there!” he answered.

“I can’t wait to see what you wear tonight!” Jongin exclaimed, making my face go red. That was definitely flirting, right? Men, who understands them.

 

“SEO EUNBIII!!” I could hear Jongin shout from outside my house. Earlier today we had agreed that he would come pick me up at 8 so that we could arrive at the party around 8:30. Although the party started at 7 we had an unspoken agreement that one never arrives on time to a party.

“SEO EUNBII!! COMEE DOOWWN!!” he continued as I didn’t answer his first call. I quickly finished my make-up, took a last look on the mirror to make sure that my outfit was ok and ran down the stairs to stop Jongin from calling out once more and scaring the neighbors.

I quickly opened the door, and I saw Jongin taking a deep breath, surely getting ready to call me again.

“Yah!” I said as soon as I had caught my breath – I really needed to start doing some cardio, the mere act of running down the stairs had me runnin out of breath, “you know there are some wonderful machines call cellphones, right? It would make my life easier if you started to learn how to use them!”

“Of course I know how to use them,” he said, “if I didn’t then how did we stay up yesterday texting each other?” he asked, making me blush. How could he make this comments so nonchalantly? Oh, and this is another reason why he confuses me as a human being. Do normal friends stay up till late texting each other? Is it normal behavior?!

Suddenly, I felt Jonging giving me a once over. I could literally feel his stare on my skin, starting from my feet, slowly moving up my body. His stare was so strong that I could feel the hairs on my body standing up.

His eyes finally finished their path in my face. His eyes stared right into mine, and I could have sworn that they went cloudy for a second, and his head ever so slightly started to lean closer to mine. However, his eyes suddenly cleared up, and once again the guy who behaved like my older brother appeared again.

“Yah! What do you think you are wearing?!”

I had decided to put on some high-waisted black shorts, a blood red crop-top, showing just a slight bit of cleavage, and a flowy sweater.

“Well, you weren’t complaining when you were checking me out!” I countered.

“I wasn’t checking you out!!” He was flustered.

“I was just trying to make sure you were not hurt anywhere,” he said, not even convincing himself of his words.

“Yeah, yeah,” I said, deciding that I would let this one go as I knew he was clearly giving me an once-over, which kind of made my day. Also, I might just have seen a bit of a bulge in his pants as he was trying to adjust his pants when he thought I wasn’t looking at him.

I walked out my house, and closed the door. I knew that it would be an interesting night.

 

I really enjoyed writing this chapter. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it!
Comment and subscribe!