Chapter 8

Broken Promises, Shattered World (I'll Be Fine)

It gets worse.

We’re at the dorm. It’s… a little past 12? Taehyung’s home. He’s reading on the bed and I’m studying. Then there’s a knock on the door. Taehyung raises his head. “I’ll get it,” he says, getting up. I nod. I hear his soft footsteps. I hear the door creak open.

I hear Taehyung’s gasp of shock. I hear the door lock with a sharp click. I hear a thud and a muffled cry. I rush out to the door.

“Numair!” I yelp. He smiles at me. It’s terrifying. It’s a smile full of insanity and cruel pleasure. Taehyung is struggling in his arms. He looks at me pleadingly.

“Fancy seeing you here, Yoongi,” Numair slurs. Drunk, no doubt. But still strong. “Taehyung, love. Why don’t you come with me… and I won’t hurt Yoongi here,” he purrs. Taehyung shakes his head. Numair smiles. He lets go of Taehyung. Taehyung stumbles forward before turning.

Numair punches him in the face. Taehyung yelps like a kicked dog. Numair punches him in the stomach. Taehyung screams and slides onto his knees, clutching his stomach. Numair smiles. “Right where I want you…,” he whispers. He kicks Taehyung hard. Taehyung shrieks.

Taehyung’s shriek brings me back into reality.

Hobi screaming in pain.

I move forward. “Numair, stop,” I growl. I smile. “Don’t you remember what happened last time you touched Taehyung? I told you that if you touch him again you’d suffer that… and more,” I purr. Numair growls.

“You were a fool. A dirty trickster,” he hisses. “And I’m stronger now. So now, I can touch Taehyung all I want… and you can’t do anything to stop it.” I step forward. I move to knee him, but he punches me in the face. I flinch, but I’ve had worse. He’s not as strong as Father. He lunges forward and ends up tackling me. I yelp. The guy is heavy. Numair punches me over and over. I don’t feel anything.

Hobi screaming in pain.

“Are you done getting your revenge?” I ask dryly when he takes a break. I smile. “After all, I did make you look like a fool. A cowardly idiot… which you are,” I sneer. Numair goes nuts. He roars and knees me. Hard. I scream. Now that, I certainly felt. Taehyung cries out.

“Yoongi!”

Yoongi!

Taehyung staggers to his feet. Numair smiles.

“Coming, baby boy?” he says sweetly. Taehyung doesn’t respond, but he bows his head. Numair gets off me and moves towards Taehyung. Taehyung looks up and stares him in the eye.

Then he slaps him. I hear the sharp smack, and Numair recoils. More from surprise than pain. Numair stares at Taehyung in bewildered shock. Taehyung glares at him. “Get out,” he spits. Numair blinks. “Now. Or else we’ll get the police involved, and you don’t want assault on your perfect record, do you?” Taehyung smiles. Numair growls softly and opens the door. He turns to look at me.

“Don’t forget, Yoongi. I’m stronger now.” He turns to look at Taehyung. “And you’ll suffer too, baby boy,” he purrs. The door slams behind him.

Taehyung starts shaking. I rise to my feet shakily and go to Taehyung. He shoves me away. “This is your fault!” he shrieks. I flinch.

It’s your fault!

“If you had left him alone, if you hadn’t rubbed your achievements in his face, if you hadn’t dangled control in his face, he would’ve left us alone!” Taehyung buries his head in his hands. “He’s going to kill me, he’s going to kill me!” Taehyung wails. I shake my head.

“He won’t,” I murmur. “He’s still a coward at heart… and now he’s seen that you aren’t his little pet.”

“I’m scared…,” Taehyung whispers. I don’t say anything. I move to stand. Taehyung squeaks and grasps at my shirt. “Where are you going?” he asks frantically. I smile.

“I’ll back soon, don’t worry,” I say. “I just need to go do something.” Taehyung opens his mouth as if he’s going to say something. Emotions dance across his face. Anger, misery, confusion. Regret. Fear. I hesitate. “I promise,” I whisper. Taehyung looks away.

I come back about an hour later. Taehyung looks up at me, relief in his eyes. I sit next to him on the sofa and sigh. “He can’t hurt you anymore,” I whisper.

“How do you know?” Taehyung asks. I look at him.

“He drove here,” I say simply. Taehyung looks confused, then it clears and he looks almost… sad? I tilt my head. Taehyung looks down.

“He… he wasn’t bad. He had moments when he was kind, polite, and considerate.” Taehyung looks at the ceiling. “He’s not a bad person at heart. He’s just a lost person who’s been raised to believe that he has to be the best,” he says. “A lost person who found solace in alcohol.” I nod. I hesitate before speaking.

“Why?” I whisper. Taehyung flinches.

“It… It made me feel wanted. It made me feel… special. Desired,” he whispers.

We sit in silence after that.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

“It’s your fault!”

I flinch. Daddy towers above me. His anger fills the room. “If you hadn’t applied for that stupid competition then she’d still be alive!” he roars. “It’s your fault she’s dead! It’s your fault Jimin’s in the hospital!” He kicks me and I shriek. He kicks me again. “Shut up, you stupid, worthless brat!”

“I’m sorry!” I wail. “Daddy, I didn’t mean to! I’m sorry, Daddy I’m sorry!”

“Sorry won’t bring Chaerin back!” he screams. “Sorry won’t fix Jimin!” He kicks me again and I curl into a ball, sobbing.

“I know, Daddy!” I cry. “I’m sorry!” Daddy kicks me again, catching me in the face.

“You’re not my son,” he snarls. “You’re nothing but a worthless failure. A worthless little dreamer,” he spits. He kicks me again. “Get out of my sight.” I scramble to my feet and flee to my room. I curl up on the floor and sob. Daddy screams. “Shut up!” I yelp and grab the nearest soft object. I push it against my mouth to muffle my sobs.

“I’m sorry, Mommy,” I whimper. “I’m sorry, Jiminie.” I look at a picture that was thrown to the floor. The glass covering is shattered.

It’s me in front of the piano, with Mommy and Jimin beside me. We all have smiles on our faces.

“Mommy… Jiminie…,” I whisper. “You… you promised.

“You promised you’d be at all my concerts.”