Chapter 4

Broken Promises, Shattered World (I'll Be Fine)

I wake up the next morning at seven. I stretch and frown at the soreness in my body. I look around. It takes a moment for me to remember. I stand up. I go to the kitchen and make breakfast. Routine, Yoongi. Something you can control. I finish and go to my room. Taehyung is sleeping on the bed. The fractured pieces of a mug are scattered on the floor. I lean down and collect the pieces in my hand. I wince when a shard slices my palm. I watch the blood trickle down my palm, transfixed.

I look at the piece and hesitate before putting it under my pillow. I throw the others out. I walk back to the room and put the plate next to his bed before going into the kitchen. I stare at my plate. I throw the food out. I don’t have an appetite. I walk to the piano and pick up the tree. I stare at it.

I fling the decoration across the room. It shatters all over the floor. I feel sobs bubbling up in my throat, choking me. All the tears I held back and more are returning with a vengeance. I turn and run. I run out of the apartment. I don’t know where I’m going. I just run until the tears are gone, until I can breathe. I find myself at the forest.

Seokjin shaking his head.

I whisper the words into the air. “He’s gone.” I scream into the empty forest. “He’s gone! He’s dead, he’s dead, he’s dead!” I fall to my knees and start to cry. “He’s gone… he’s really gone,” I whimper. I hear soft footsteps behind me. I don’t move.

Soft hands with gentle fingers wipe my tears away. Shaking hands pull me into a warm chest.

“He’s dead,” I whisper. Taehyung my hair. Eventually my tears stop and we walk to the apartment. Taehyung’s plate is in the sink. Taehyung and I curl up on the couch together.

“He lied,” Taehyung whispers. His voice is heartbroken. “He lied. He promised he’d never leave me. He broke his promise. He lied.” I respond softly, half to myself.

“Some promises can’t be kept.”

I’ll be fine.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

“Good job, Yoongi!” my mother says, running to me. I smile at her happily.

“Perfect,” Jimin says. I smile at my big brother. He smiles back.

I just finished my first concert at Carnegie Hall. The concert went beautifully. My mother hugs me. “Come on, sweetie. Ice cream?” I nod happily.

“Chocolate!” I squeal. She and my brother laugh. She nods.

We sit in the car eating our ice cream. Jimin eats his mint chocolate chip ice cream beside me. I happily devour my chocolate ice cream. I speak.

“Mommy, why didn’t Daddy come?” I ask. She looks at me sadly. Jimin looks away.

“Your father doesn’t believe in ‘wasting time on dreams,’” she says. She sighs quietly. Jimin looks down, pain and anger flickering in his eyes.

“You’re always going to come to my concerts, right?” I ask. Mommy nods.

“Of course.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.” I turn to my brother. He smiles and ruffles my hair.

“Of course, Suga. I promise.” I smile at him.

We’re driving home when I hear wheels skidding. I turn and scream when I see a truck heading straight towards the driver’s side of the car.

Everything blacks out.

I wake up on the ground a few feet away from the car. Blood drips down the side of my head. I sit up, wincing at the pain. It hurts, everything hurts.

“Mommy? Jiminie?” I call. I hear Mommy respond.

“Yoongi?” I crawl to the sound of her voice. She’s lying on the ground not too far from me. She’s bloody too.

She takes my hand.

“Promise me you’ll never give up on your dreams,” she whispers. “Promise,”

“Mommy,” I whimper. She squeezes my hand.

“Promise,” she repeats.

“I… I promise,” I whisper. She smiles. Her hand goes limp in mine. “Mommy? Mommy!” I start to shake her. “Mommy! Mommy, wake up!” I wail. She doesn’t respond. I start to cry.

“Mommy… you promised…”