[ ♡ ] .017

Broken Hearts of Literature.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s funny you mention something to someone – and they turn their backs on you. You wanted them to know so that it could hurt for now, but you weren’t expecting them to drag the issue on for a much longer period. It’s been weeks since Nami mentioned to Baekhyun that she’s going back to the United States after she walked down the stage with her degree. She didn’t belong in Korea to begin with. Sure, it’s her culture – her parents’ culture and nationality, but she was born in the land of the free. Nami grew up in the states, she had friends in the states.

 

Things weren’t going the way Nami expected it to. She thought that if she told Baekhyun, he’d be understanding and find some way to make things work – but this wasn’t the reaction she’d expected. Her parents and Jaemi had told her that he’d come around. Well. That was inaccurate. Her parents had already left back for the states, and she didn’t have anyone who she can talk to that would make her feel comfortable. Her parents gave her comfort, but video calling them was much of a hassle due to the major time difference.

 

“He still hasn’t talked to you?” Jaemi questioned as she plopped down beside her best friend. The brunette shook her head as she stared at her laptop screen. She’s been staring at her essay for almost two hours now and she hasn’t written but two paragraphs when she should be finishing up a five-to-six-page essay. “No,” the brunette responded, shaking her head. Her brain was fried, and she couldn’t exactly do anything about it. Jaemi’s expression was rather shocked as she stared at the brunette with much surprise. “Really? I thought he would’ve said something by now.”

 

“Nope,” Nami replied, popping the ‘p’ as she sighed and saved her essay. One semester left – three weeks from now before the start of her final semester. Maybe it was time for her to relieve her stress and finish her assignments later. Most of her final assignments weren’t due until the last week, and she didn’t have much to do either way. However, next semester – she opted to apply for online classes where she could sit in the comforts of her home and do her assignments. Well – also because her next semester is the summer semester, which last only a month. Leaving commencement weeks from the time she’s done with the university. “Are you hungry?” Nami asked, getting up from the couch, “I’m hungry.” With that, the brunette made her way to the kitchen – finding something to eat as Jaemi followed her as though she’s a lost puppy. “Are you not going to talk to him at all then?” A sigh escaped the female’s lips as she turned around to her best friend: “And what do you want me to say, Jae?” She questioned, irritation in her features, “I’ve said what I had to say. It was up to him how he took that information into account.”

 

Jaemi really couldn’t exactly believe that Baekhyun didn’t make any attempts to speak to the brunette. But then again, it’s a never-ending cycle between the two of them. The brunette seemed to have lost her appetite as she walked past her best friend and to her room.

 

In her room, she finds herself sitting on her bed and staring at the nothingness that engulfed her. She knew she wasn’t in the wrong to tell him that she’s leaving soon, but it was worth it all because then – with feelings attached, it wouldn’t hurt so much. Somehow, Baekhyun made it feel like whatever they’ve been through… from the beginning to now – it didn’t seem to matter to him. He cut her off since that day. Maybe this was the best way to be, since – in this generation – many people tend to ghost people and act like they never existed. Even if the memories and emotions are there.

 

Should she feel hurt?

 

Who really knows what she should feel? Baekhyun’s taken a part of her she knows that she probably wouldn’t ever get back. All we know that it isn’t love. A mutual feeling of likings? Sure. But she knew – right now – this isn’t love. They were far from love now. Or maybe she thought.

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

“Dude,” Jongin called out to his brother-in-law, Baekhyun, as he stared at the older with disbelief on his expression, “are you really not going to talk to her?” He questioned. This gave Baekhyun the opportunity to look at his brother-in-law. His attention was really focused on the papers he decided to grade. He realized that finals were starting soon, and he knew that essays were going to start being submitted soon – even now, he was grading discussion boards and in-class discussions. His students’ book assignments were also on the verge of being turned in. Baekhyun looked up from his papers, eyeing his brother-in-law.

 

“I don’t really have anything to say to her,” he replied while Jongin stared at the English professor. Bona, who stood next to her husband, seemed shocked. Was it really Nami’s fault? In the brunette’s defense, she said what she had to say but it’s not her fault that Baekhyun’s not taking the information and rolling with it. He seemed to have cut her off – stopped all contact even. “Are you kidding me?” Bona called out, reaching over and slapping the male’s arm. Baekhyun’s face became distorted as he tried his best not to reach over to his arm and rub it. “You don’t have anything to say to her? Are you kidding me?” Jongin seemed to have held Bona back, to prevent her from jumping on the English professor.

 

“She told you she’s going back to the States, and you don’t know how to respond to it? No – you don’t have anything to say to her?” Bona growled, struggling against her husband’s hold. Jongin stared towards Baekhyun – who seemed to be in a daze. “Dude, you’re breaking her heart.” Jongin added, carrying on for his wife. “You’ve been avoiding her, and for what? She said what she said, and you decided not to act on the information given to you. Wouldn’t you want to spend as much time with her as you possibly can?”

 

Baekhyun sighed, glancing over to his friends while he stared continuously to them: “I’m busy. I have papers to grade and things to do.” It was a lie. Even with papers to grade, he made time for her. Which is funny because never made time for any of his ex-girlfriends. Nami was a special case, who he always made time for. “Don’t give us that bull, Baek,” Bona uttered, irritation lacing her features. If anyone knew Baekhyun better – it’s his sister and her best friend.  “Na has three weeks left this semester and another month before she graduates. After that, after graduation – that’s it. She’s gone and you’re going to regret not talking to her like a civil human being. Better yet, as the boyfriend you’re supposed to be.” 

 

“We’re not dating.”

 

“Oh, bull.” Jongin interjected as he stands up from his seat. The couple, who had come and visit Baekhyun, were done with him. He figured that much since they were leaving his home. Leaving him to his own disposal. “If you don’t do something now, you’ll lose her forever and that will be the day you regret everything.”

 

Baekhyun let out a sigh that he didn’t know he was holding on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter