Crush

One step away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Let me watch you draw" is what Mina said even before Chaeyoung can think of anything to suggest, "I'll draw you then" the younger offered to which Mina replied with a delighted smile and bright eyes.

 

It's such a sight. Seeing Chaeyoung's focused face, her lips pouted in concentration. She looked up from her sketchbook and saw Mina grinning down at her, it made her frown.

 

Was she doing something silly?

 

"What's wrong?" Chaeyoung halted her pencil . Mina must've not realized the smile that was plastered on her face. It faltered for a second before smiling again and answered to it truthfully, "You look cute when you concentrate on your drawing", that made Chaeyoung blush. Not knowing how to reply she buried her nose in her sketchbook again. It must've been the pouting, she thought. She bit her lip feeling a little distracted.

 

Mina didn't even squeak for the whole few minutes she was sitting still. She's getting conscious from all the glancing but she kept herself from talking.

 

Her eyes instead wandered around the house. It landed on the pictures hanging on the wall, there's a woman who looks like Chaeyoung, very pretty, round deer eyes and she looks a little too young but Mina's pretty sure Chaeyoung's an only child. So she must be her mom. The man in the photo has a v shaped face which resembled Chaeyoung's. No wonder Chaeyoung is such an attractive young woman. She got the great features from her parents.

There must have been at least one photo for each grade. As Chaeyoung grows older her smile seemed to fade. They were all taken in a studio. There's lack of any indication that they actually spent time with their daughter except when taking this single photo.

That must be young Chaeyoung's reason for smiling so bright. Her face could split in half. It's probably that rare time of the year where they're complete. She wonders what's on Chaeyoung's mind as a year adds on.

Mina shouldn't be surprised, she already knew about how Chaeyoung's parents were almost always never home. She did mention it but the younger doesn't really talk about her parents, mostly because there's nothing to talk about. All her stories consisted only of Jeongyeon, Nayeon, Jihyo, Dahyun and Tzuyu.

 

It was almost as if the world before them never existed.

 

She turned to the younger girl whose face was still glued to her sketchbook.

"What do you do when you're home?" Mina can't help but ask. Chaeyoung looked up, her eyes peaking from the edge of the cover.

She thought about it for a while. How do you make it sound less miserable?

"Hmmm. I sketch, watch movies, play games, cooking! I cook when I find something doable on the internet" her eyes are back on the sketchbook feeling satisfied with her answer.

"That sounds fun"

"You don't mean that", Chaeyoung smiled slightly, Mina could hear it.

"I'm usually with my friends anyway," A pause, "but it's not like I can take all their time after school"

"I'm sure they don't mind" Mina replied.

Chaeyoung just shrugged.

 

"Ah, watching me draw must be boring. Should I turn the TV on? You can just pick a movie" the younger offered.

"Anything" Mina smiled.

 

 

Few more days of hanging out, on school gates, in her home, in a cafe.

Mina likes skinship, she finds out. Not as much as Sana or Momo though. Dahyun looked like she was about to pass out everytime Sana comes a little too close.

Even Nayeon who was the resident skinship captain in their group was nothing in comparison.

Is it a japanese thing? She doesn't know.

 

When Mina held her hand for the first time her whole arm froze.

 

Her palms must be sweaty.

She wonders if her grip is a little too loose.

Too stiff.

Too cold.

She thinks about it too much.

 

Holding hands are normal for friends. She probably does it a lot with Sana and Momo too. That probably meant Mina was comfortable with her, she smiled at the thought and her stiffened arm relaxes a little.

"Why?" Mina asked, smiling. Probably infected by Chaeyoung's dimpled smile.

"Nothing" she feels her heart melt a little.

 

 

In a random day, after school while they're waiting for Mina's brother...

 

"You don't look at people's eyes" Mina pointed out and Chaeyoung looked up from her sketchbook with a question mark above her head.

Chaeyoung stared at Mina's eyes silently proving her wrong... Mina smiled, accepting her challenge. Chaeyoung was the first one to look away. It was too much, like staring at the sun. Not blinking was a little too dumb.

"As you can see, I do" the younger buried her face back to her sketchbook, probably hiding her little blush that's out of nowhere.

"Not to your friends, to other people. It's like you don't want to be connected to them in any way. I doubt you even remember their faces"

"Waste of memory space"

"I'm curious... how about me?" She asked softly but the younger heard it loud and clear since there are no other people around.

 

Chaeyoung wanted to look up but she wasn't sure what she'd see.

 

"Seeing I have your name, your face, fact that you like ketchup and a few other more facts in my mind. I can say that your memory has been successfully saved Miss Myoui"

 

She still doesn't look up from her sketchbook but she knows Mina was smiling.

 

 

"T-thank you" Chaeyoung carefully took the hot chocolate offered by Mina.

They're in a cafe, near school with Dahyun and Tzuyu.

The younger girl was just staring at her cup like it will magically cool down if she did.

"Do you not like hot chocolate?" the older girl asked.

"N-no, I do! it's just that. . ." she trailed off...

"She's a baby..." Dahyun sipped on her fruitea, "She can't take hot stuff"

"I-I can!" Trying to prove to everyone, she took a sudden sip, burning her tongue in the process. Making her spill a little on the table (luckily not on her clothes)

"See, a baby" Dahyun snickered which earned her a slap on her arm by Tzuyu.

 

"Hold on" She took the hot chocolate in Chaeyoung's hand and headed to the counter. She pouted, another one who thinks she's a baby for not being able to take hot beverages.

"Here!" Mina handed her her hot chocolate but not as hot as before.

 

She felt embarrassed

but Mina doesn't treat her like she's not capable.

Mina is just gentle in general.

 

She lets it go

if it's Mina

She knows she doesn't mind.

 

 

 

As expected, Nayeon and Jihyo won the election. Their next weeks are finally not as packed as the previous ones.

Nayeon hopped happily to the group's usual table, "guys~" she singsonged. Her best mood was up.

Chaeyoung grinned at her but it's Jeongyeon who spoke first, "so, miss president and miss vice president," she wriggled her eye brows as if to tease, mostly to Jihyo who was trailing behind Nayeon, her face as bright if not more, "you can't not treat us. It's an occassion to celebrate" Jeongyeon finished.

"Oh Oh Oh!!!" Momo drummed the table in excitement cause that definitely means food. And free food is the best kind of food.

Nayeon chuckled and gestured for Jihyo to speak up, "Tonight, at Chaeyoung's house after school!"

The younger girl gaped at them, not knowing what to say. She wasn't informed that there will be a party in her own house. Not that she is opposed to it though. Just caught off guard.

 

"Everyone's gonna go?" Nayeon gave a toothy smile, displaying her beautiful front teeth that made her resemble a bunny.

Everyone nodded. Dahyun, a little too eager, with Sana glued to her side. Her face red, her pale skin gave it away.

Chaeyoung looked at Tzuyu as if to ask and the taller girl just shrugged.

She made sure to ask Dahyun about her progress with Sana later on.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter