Home

One step away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

4th grade, young Chaeyoung is already used to being alone but maybe she's not as alone today because Mr. Pebble has kept her company from school to home.

Time passed by pretty quickly today too, much to her distaste.

She drags her feet on her way home, lazily kicking Mr. Pebble. Scolding him for being out of track couple of times.

She bids farewell to her companion as she made her way to the door. Sighing as she enter this cold place she calls home.

 

Her family was never a rich one but she wished they could give her a warm home at least.

 

Maybe she should ask for a heater next time or maybe that's not what she needs at all.

 

 

5th grade, her parents decided to move houses because of an opportunity to own one of their own and a better income.

but chaeyoung knew that this new house wouldn't be any warmer (even with an installed heater)

 

 

She wakes up with a food on the table, a couple of bills and a clean living room. Traces of her mom who don't even bother to say bye anymore. Her dad? The remnants of his cigarette in the ash tray, that's how she knows they still go home even for a brief moment. It's been a couple of days since they had a meal together, she wonders if they still remember their child's face.

There was never anyone to force her to go to school but she decides to go anyway. Always. Everyday.

On one of the days that she's actually paying attention to her surroundings on her way to school.

She finds a girl, so cool, too cool with her short hair and pose.

She lived few blocks away from her own and realizes she goes to the same school, just a year above her.

Her name's Jeongyeon. She effortlessly finds out while walking timidly through the unfamiliar corridors of her new school.

 

Jeongyeon is like the sun. She is always at the center of things, of gatherings, of people, of attention.

She knew exactly why.

She's charismatic.

She isn't a genius but isn't lacking too much in the brain department either.

She's funny and mischievous despite her initial image of being too cool.

So when one day where a side of the cafeteria is off limits due to some minor repairs and renovation, jeongyeon and her friends chose to sit on the table she was sitting in (because the part where they usually sit was on that part of the cafeteria), she was secretly starstrucked especially when Jeongyeon realized that she was the new kid who moved into town a month ago few blocks from her home (because apparently she knows everyone around her block)

It became a daily thing. Jeongyeon and some of her friends sitting together with chaeyoung. Sometimes just jeongyeon, often with a girl who has bright smile and two big front teeth. Sometimes they are joined by a girl with sparkling wide eyes and a loud voice.

There wasn’t really much into it, just sitting together in the most literal sense. They always just acknowledge each other with a nod or a smile.

“You draw well” jeongyeon said as she rubs her chin, nodding in approval.

Chaeyoung looks up from her sketchbook and smiles. Jeongyeon’s friends aren’t with her today. She knew that jeongyeon is exponentially bored today by the way she plays with her food and chaeyoung is conveniently there for temporary entertainment.

“mind if I watch?” the younger feels conscious but shakes her head nonetheless, indicating she doesn’t mind.

 

And on the days when jeongyeon is alone she would watch chaeyoung draw.

 

There would be times when jeongyeon would start a small talk with her instead of just looking at her draw. She strangely doesn’t mind.

The short haired girl makes it so easy, chaeyoung wonders how she does it. How she can sound and feel so warm and intere

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter