What transpired

One step away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She can feel the sun rays on her skin, peeking uninvitedly between the curtains. She stretches her limbs, feeling a little sore from her difficult position the previous night. She stills for a while and thinks back, remembering Nayeon staying over. The talk they had and all the little things they did plays in her mind... She reaches out for the older girl but her hand is met with an empty warm space. Chaeyoung inhales a lungful of air and stretches more. The younger girl can't help but catch the scent of sausages and toasted bread in the air. That's kind of a bad news... because Nayeon can't cook to save herself.

The alarms in her head boom even louder when she hears distinct chatters from outside her room.

"Unnie?" She calls, her voice still a little raspy from just waking up. The girl couldn't have heard her that's for sure because there's now laughter and even more chatter. She gets up from her bed and makes her way to the kitchen, wanting to check if she can salvage what she can while there's still no burnt smell in the air.

She thought the other voice sounded strangely familiar. She first caught sight of Nayeon still wearing her clothes, what she can find that fits her at least maybe a little more loose, so engaged in a conversation that she didn't even realize Chaeyoung standing by the doorway.

"And of course you kids should-" the woman Nayeon is talking to stops midsentence when the shorter girl by the door catches her attention, "Hey, you're awake. Good morning sweetie"

The woman, who's standing by the stove, almost fully turned and let go of the pan. Almost. Instead she turns her head and sends Chaeyoung a warm smile, "Sit hon, this will be done in a few" She looks beautiful, very much like Chaeyoung.

"H-hey?" Chaeyoung greets, a little in disbelief, wondering if she's still dreaming but no... The floor felt cold under her feet forgetting her slippers by the bed, it felt too real to be a dream. It was a rare sight for the younger girl, having her mom stay until she's awake, much more cook breakfast for her.

The woman turns off the stove and sets the sausages and toasted breads on plates for Nayeon and for the girl still standing in the doorway, her daughter.

"Mom?" She calls. Just to make sure again because she just woke up and everything starting from the night before haven't really struck her. She stills and waits as she watches the woman's back while working on the breakfast.

"You sit and eat. I'll make you hot chocolate", she turns and says as she serves the plates on the table.

"Oh, auntie let me help you with that" Nayeon makes her way towards the woman after taking a quick bite from her bread.

"Thank you, Nayeon-ie" She smiles softly. Chaeyoung would usually just catch a glimpse of her mom when she goes home in the middle of the night or when she wakes up too early but she's never stayed this late- not in a long time, so her smiles were something she only fuzzily remembers.

Her Mom, Chaeyoung believes, works as a secretary in a big company hence the schedule. Working beside a high profile person in her workplace apparently made her presence needed almost 24/7, barely having day offs. Just going home to change her clothes, maybe nap a bit. The young girl doesn't really know why the woman couldn't leave her job, she hadn't really asked.

She feels herself tremble as she sits. It's unfamiliar... It feels strange.

While trying to recover from her daze cups of warm chocolate were served and the woman and the girls sit across each other.

"So... Nayeon was just telling me earlier about what you guys were up to in school", Chaeyoung looks up from her plate, halfheartedly munching on her sausage still trying to take everything in. She looks back and forth between her mom and Nayeon.

Nayeon gives her an encouraging look and smiles... She smiles back albeit awkwardly. Of course, she wanted to tell her mom things, catch up a little but she doesn't know where to start... There had been too much in her life that this woman already missed. A few hours wouldn't magically erase the times she wished they were there...

"Oh, chaeng... didn't your art teacher ask you about the sketches you did from your last project? I remember you saying about something like a recommendation. What was that again?" Nayeon threw in. Liar... she remembers them vividly up to the last detail but it was a push Chaeyoung herself knew she needed.

She smiles. Oh, where would she be without Nayeon. She grips the mug of warm chocolate in her hands.

She can try. One step at a time, "Y-yeah. My teacher was-"

And so she starts telling with a growing grin on her face.

 

 

Nayeon, Jeongyeon thinks as she on the bottom lip of the girl that's not Nayeon.

She pulls away and breathes heavily against the other girl's lips, looking at her eyes intensely as if trying to devour her whole. Closing the gap again, their tongues meet in desperation and in heat.

She thinks of Nayeon... Nayeon and Nayeon. How this girl's lips doesn't taste like Nayeon's, how her touch is colder despite the heat and tension, how her scent is nowhere near her best friend. Her hand travels under the girl's ed uniform, meeting her skin.

"We'll be late, Jiyeon-ah" Jeongyeon says in between heated kisses but doesn't make any effort to pull away.

Instead Jiyeon did so. She presses their foreheads together and looks deeply into her eyes, searching for something... but finding nothing.

"It's always like this", she exhales sounding so tired as she completely pulls away and increase the gap even further between them before she buttons her uniform, "And I always always just fall for everything you say" Jiyeon, Jeongyeon's ex, says. The first girl who Jeongyeon claimed to be in love with after Nayeon.

 Pre-Nayeon, Post-Nayeon, and Nayeon. As if the timeline of her life solely revolves around the girl.

"I'm sorry" 

"You always are" Jiyeon scoffs but softens right after seeing Jeongyeon's sorry state. Being together with Jeongyeon was easy and hard at the same time. She was beautiful and easy to fall in love with, a complete princess charming. She wasn't a playgirl, not of that sort, this much Jiyeon knows. Just obviously still hung up on something probably long gone while wishing the next one would be the one. Jeongyeon loved and cared for her even though they weren't really together for a long time. Dating for a month just right after Jeongyeon's breakup with Nayeon, Jiyeon knew what she was getting into. Jeongyeon and Nayeon being together was a fact, a well known one.

"You know that i'll always be your friend, right?" she continues, "I love you but we should really stop each other's faces every time you feel messed up" She straightens the invisible wrinkles on her uniform, "We should just talk instead of you know.. making out? I'll listen to you..." she scoots closer to Jeongyeon and pats her head in affection. The latter looks up at her looking like a scolded puppy.

"Your lips just looked really kissable earlier i'm sorry", she smiles sheepishly. It wasn't a lie.

"Thanks, now get up. We'll be late as you said"

"Lunch later? I-it's been a while." The short haired girl asks almost pleading.

Jiyeon scoffs, "You know that i'm not that welcome in your lunch table, right? We both know your little tiger best friend isn't that fond of me" she reminds, remembering all the times Chaeyoung looks at her like she'd yank her hair out of their lunch table... but with subtlety, at least... or she's just exaggerating.

"I-it's not like that. She just doesn't like other people in our lunch table... Like.. people in general" she scratches her neck. That isn't a lie either. Well, not entirely.

"I wasn't other people Jeong. I was your girlfriend. And don't think I haven't seen Sana, Momo and that new girl of yours in your table these past few weeks"

"Mina? Not my girl. She's straight" She shrugs.

"Well of course, she would have been kicked out of the table if she actually was" Jiyeon spits.

"You're exaggerating but okay, okay. Then let's go eat somewhere else, that okay?" Jeongyeon offers.

She smirks, "You just got yourself a date for lunch"

 

 

 

"Okay, spit it out" Tzuyu says after a long silence. It's been 5 minutes since they all sat in their first class there weren't any words after the initial greetings but the face splitting grins on their faces and the happy hummings are speaking volumes.

"What?" Dahyun and Chaeyoung replied in unison like they're in some cheesy sitcom.

"Spit it out. Oh my god. You two look so foolishly in love or something. You're too happy, it's kinda blinding." Tzuyu shrugs, she knows her two best friends are dying to share what's been up since they last saw each other. So she's just gonna sacrifice herself for a good cause.

"I'm not in love" Chaeyoung defends. She probably is but that's not the reason of her awfully happy grin for this particular morning.

"Mom actually made me– us, breakfast earlier" she wiggles her eyebrows. Not bothering to hide her child-like jolly demeanour. It was a great morning, her heart felt full.

"Us? Who?" Tzuyu asks.

"Nayeon unnie" she replies as if it should be obvious.

"Ohhh, it's been a while since you ate breakfast with your mom right? How is she?" Dahyun's turn to ask.

"Still the same" Chaeyoung frowns. She was too focused in telling stories about herself that she hadn't thought about asking her mom about work, if she eats well or if she's been treated well. She wishes they can do this more often. Hopefully next time she can bond with her mom even without Nayeon as an acting bridge to their gap.

"How about you?" The shorter girl asks Dahyun, who looks really smug. She slightly regrets asking.

"Sana unnie and I... We met at the park after we ate out yesterday and we talked...and maybewekissedyesterdaynight...," the two girls gapes at the pale girl, "Oh my god, I said it! Now it feels extra real!" she squeals on her own and broke into a fit of giggles, stomping her feet and her hands covering her face to hide the cheeks that turned to red.

Kisses. That takes back Chaeyoung to the talk she had with Nayeon yesterday night. She immediately thinks of Mina, the first time she did for the day and there's this warm and fuzzy feeling in her chest just like how it does whenever she thinks abou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter