Awkward is (not) my nickname (anymore)

One step away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung is sitting in a snack bar with four of her friends, that's if you count Mina in.

She can't quite wrap her mind about this situation she's in. She's between two people who are supposed to be awkward with each other yet--

"How was physics earlier? I got a pretty low score again but at least it's higher than the last time for our pop up quiz", Jeongyeon whined as she took a sip from her milkshake.

"She didn't even teach that part. You're better off reading the textbook itself than listening to her", Mina replied. She fished out her note from her bag and handed it to Jeongyeon.

"Wow, thanks Minari"

 

Minari?, They sound so close.

 

How assuming it is on Chaeyoung's part to think Jeongyeon and Mina would be awkward with each other.

First of all they're classmates. Second, this is Jeongyeon we're talking about. Jeongyeon who's never awkward with anyone and just have that charm that makes people comfortable around her.

"No problem, just give that back to me before tuesday. I think we're gonna have another quiz around second half of the week"

"Gosh, she doesn't even teach", the short haired girl huffed making Mina chuckle.

 

It's weird because Chaeyoung is the one feeling awkward being the one in between the two.

 

"Speaking of quizzes! Chaeng did you do well on our quiz last time?" Dahyun asked.

Chaeyoung just shrugged, she at least scored higher than half of the class without studying much so that should be considered doing well right?

"I saw her paper she did well, she even got 87", Tzuyu stated as a matter-of-factly.

"OH! You scored higher than us!", Dahyun exclaimed.

"Excuse me, I got 92" the taller girl interrupted.

". . . I didn't even pass," Dahyun pouted, "this betrayal. Our friendship is over"

"Yay!" Tzuyu and Chaeyoung said at the same time faking enthusiasm, making all of them laugh.

The conversation continued for a few more until it's time for all of them to part ways.

 

"Guys, I gotta go first. Seungyeon unnie is asking me to buy bomb's food on my way home", She took a last sip from her almost done milkshake and waved them goodbye, "see you tomorrow!"

"Shall we go too?" Tzuyu asked.

All of them agreed and got up. Dahyun and Tzuyu bid their goodbyes to Mina and Chaeyoung whose house are opposite direction of theirs.

There was a little moment of silence with just the two of them.

"Should we.. head home too?" Mina asked.

"Sure"

. . .

"I thought you'd be awkward with Jeongyeon unnie", they both continue to walk.

The older girl smiled shyly.

"She's a very good person. How can I?", It wasn't even a question.

"Right," a pause, "but why don't you eat with us anymore. You know... you aren't uncomfortable with her. So why?"

"Hmmmm.. because you didn't like me?", Mina really liked poking this side of Chaeyoung, she could just easily deny it yet she stutters and get flustered like this. She found it cute.

 

"I.. I.. it wasn't like that", she shuts her eyes trying to find the right words. 

"I'm kidding", the older girl chuckled, "Jeongyeon confessed to me... she told me that she likes me", Chaeyoung stayed silent, she already knows that much. So she waited for Mina to continue.

But she doesn't. Not for a while and Chaeyoung doesn't ask her to.

 

Just silence.

 

So when Mina continued a little later the younger jumped a bit although her voice probably can't be heard outside a meter radius.

"I.. uhm.. not quite sure how same relationship works," she bit her lip. Mina wasn't sure if she worded that right. She tried to think of how to say it but she should've thought whether it was an appropriate thing to say instead more than anything but the words were already up in the air.

Chaeyoung wasn't sure either. Heck, she doesn't even have any experience with guys but she sure witnessed a lot through Jeongyeon, Nayeon and Dahyun. She wasn't quite sure about Jihyo and Tzuyu's preferences but they don't seem to mind. They both deal with it like it's the norm. So in her circle of friends, it is. And if it ever come to a point where she has to ask herself that question. She surely would be okay.

Right?

 

So she replies what Nayeon or Jeongyeon would most likely say, "You just... do? I mean love is love. Your heart... its shape won't change just because it beats for a girl you know"

Mina looks at Chaeyoung for a moment and nods.

The brief silence made her wonder if what she said offended the older girl.

But she doesn't know how else to say it.

 

Mina still has a lot in her mind...

So she continues, hoping she can get the message across despite the language.

". . . you're her friends, I just thought that... it'd be inappropriate to continue eating with you. You guys are the friends she introduced to me. I don't want you guys to think i'm leading her on by staying to eat with you like nothing happened. You were her friends first, not mine", She overthinks alright.

 

Chaeyoung nods slowly as they turn to that corner close to her own home, yet she continued walking beside Mina.

 

"D-does that make sense?", she anxiously asked.

"It doesn't" the younger joked.

"I-I mean.. I consider you guys friends but.. but.. I didn't gain your friendship. You all are gifted to me by Jeongyeon. All because she thinks she likes me and you guys would probably hat--"

 

Chaeyoung chuckled. Gift? How can she put words so beautifully even with her limited korean.

 

"Miss Myoui Mina", the older girl stopped her rambling immediately, "yes?"

"Friendship doesn't work that way", She's suddenly reminded of how she got to be friends with Dahyun and Tzuyu. It's also through Jeongyeon.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter