Rhythm

One step away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She can't get over it. It's hard to get over it. She underestimated feelings.

 

The next days wasn't so easy with the lingering thoughts of her crush for the older girl. She's been distracted, she's been sketching more and more; all resembling a certain girl who holds those stars in her eyes.

 

"You're sketching again" her soft voice breaks in and blends in with what used to be her silent world.

"Yeah, I found an inspiration" Chaeyoung says and purses her lips. She just admitted outloud that Mina inspires her, to herself at least.

She couldn't tell anyone about this suffocating feelings. All she has is her pencil and sketchbook. A diary without written words but holds a thousand of unspoken feelings.

"May I see?" Mina leans closer. They're currently in Chaeyoung's house. The TV is on but the younger's face is buried on her sketchbook since they arrived. Mina is wearing Chaeyoung's clothes again and she's doesn't want to stare at her for too long because she feels like she might scream.

"N-no" She clutches it against her chest. Mina tries to conceal a pout but fails miserably and Chaeyoung just had to make the mistake of looking at her. Oh god oh god oh god oh god. She almost squealed.

"Stop pouting" she says but Mina pouts even more. She must've found defying Chaeyoung somehow fun.

"Nooooooo!" the younger girl whines.

And it's probably a wrong move... a wrong one. Very wrong. She cups the older girl's cheeks and was about to wipe the pout off her lips. Her head goes into an overdrive as soon as she realized what she did or at least what she was about to do.

They're so so so close that she can feel Mina's warm breath against her.

 

It has only been a few seconds but it already felt like forever.

She thankfully snapped out of it, blinked a few times and stretches Mina's face, "Ow ow ow ow"

"Stop pouting!" is all Chaeyoung said before chuckling at Mina who's cutely glaring at her.

A grin plays on Mina's lips. She snatched Chaeyoung's sketchbook but she doesn't peek at it no she's not like that. She put it away and slips comfortably into Chaeyoung's lap.

 

"Then pay attention to me" she says softly... too soft that Chaeyoung doesn't know what to make of it but Mina is so beautiful and it does weird things to her heart. Mina smells like jasmine, probably her perfume. She doesn't think she would be able to remember anything else but Mina for this particular scent. The older girl still has that grin on her lips and Chaeyoung had to lean back. She feels herself tremble slightly, she closes her eyes. Mina is going to be her death.

"Did... I annoy you?"

She must have been too silent for too long. Mina like Chaeyoung tends to overthink about things, the younger observes. It probably took her a lot to open up this much to the younger girl, to get closer and get to know her more and be a nice friend. She IS a nice friend, with the amount of time they spend together Chaeyoung is most probably Mina's closest friend. That's just it... a friend.

"Was I being too clingy?" Concerned that she might've bothered Chaeyoung by taking her sketchbook away, Mina was about to get up but Chaeyoung grabs her shoulder and lays her down on her lap again.

"N-no no. It was just... Nothing" Mina pouts again. Oh no.

"You're playing with me" Chaeyoung accuses with a gasp.

"I'm not!"

"You keep pouting when I told you not to" It's Chaeyoung's turn to pout. They both chuckle.

"Because you tell me not to that's why I want to do it even more" Chaeyoung distractedly runs her fingers against Mina's locks.

"Sana unnie has been rubbing off on you!" The younger points out.

Mina thinks for a while and smiles fondly at the thought of her Japanese friends.

"Well, yeah. I think. Both Sana and Momo"

"I'm gonna start to think that it's a Japanese thing" She smiles lazily as she leans back again. It's just so comfortable if not for her heart beating like crazy. The conversations help stabilize it at least. Help her to act normal.

"I don't think it's a Japanese thing. Your friends are like this too" Mina takes Chaeyoung's hand that's been playing with her hair and intertwined their fingers.

"No they're not!" She protests but doesn't take away her hand from Mina. It froze right there, trying not to feel it so much so she can function normally without feeling the need to combust right then and there but Mina is making it hard by rubbing her thumb against her skin.

"They are to you! Nayeon at least!"

"Nayeon unnie is just naturally like that, I guess. Ever since we met. Skinship is kinda her thing."

"Oh, like Sana but Sana is like that to everyone. Nayeon is only mostly like that to you, don't you think?"

"What? No. I don't think so she does it with everyone ugh! You haven't seen her and Jeongyeon yet. It will make you puke on sight"

Mina becomes silent. Thinking if she should ask, she did.

"They... were together weren't they?"

"Hmmm, yeah. You'll know sooner or later anyway. So yeah. They were"

Mina feels sleepy and puts their intertwined hands over her chest. Chaeyoung can feel Mina's heartbeat over the fabric of Mina's (Chaeyoung's) shirt. Mina becomes silent again and the younger feels she's about drift off until she spoke again,

"Why did they break up? They seem to be still good with each other" Chaeyoung wonders if Mina is sleep talking at this point.

"They never told us" She wanted to play with Mina's hair but cannot since her hand is occupied at the moment. She squeezed it once instead.

"You never asked them?" The older girl asks softly.

"No. They will say it themselves when they're ready but apparently until now they still aren't. If they're fine with everything then I am too"

Chaeyoung never had anyone else to share her concerns with about the ex-couple. They were both her best friends. Just like her, Jihyo, Tzuyu and Dahyun never pried about their relationship either but they saw how Nayeon and Jeongyeon almost drifted the friend group apart when they broke up until one day they're talking and everything's fine and it's just like nothing happened. The girls never even spoke of it until either Nayeon or Jeongyeon joked about it (she doesn't remember who joked about it first), poking fun at how they were

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter