Growing up

One step away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nayeon is older by a year but Chaeyoung couldn't help but look at her in adoration as she watch her slumber. She looked like a toddler in a crib with Chaeyoung's bunny stuffed toys in her embrace. Nayeon has an undeniable obsession for cute things but her mom was very allergic to its furs that she wasn't allowed to keep one. So she would cuddle with them whenever she goes at Chaeyoung's house instead.

Nayeon chomped her lips in her sleep, making smacking sounds. The older girl must have been so exhausted with her duties. It wasn't always this heavy, it just so happens that there were a lot to take care of for this year. She promised she'd have more time with them after the turnover (if she wins anyway, which she most likely will) but for now they'd have to do with seeing each others' faces in the hallway, which was almost never because they're on different floors, and text messages which takes Nayeon forever to reply to.

Her hair was still damp from the shower she took. The weather raged on their way home, Nayeon's umbrella failing to cover them from the rain. Their clothes sticked to their skins, their limbs shivered from the cold as they step into the Son's residence.

Chaeyoung shook her awake, worried she'd catch a cold if she doesn't dry herself, "Unnie" she whispered softly, shaking the older girl slightly to which Nayeon groaned, "you have to properly dry your hair, you'll get sick. I made us some warm chocolate drink"

It took a few moments but the younger waited and Nayeon sprang up with her eyes still closed hugging the stuffed toy tighter and burying her face against its fluffy fur.

"fur fur" she breathed against the stuffed toy. Chaeyoung chuckled. "Come on, get up" the younger patted her shoulder as she grabbed a towel from the other side of the room. She tossed a dry towel to the older which landed on Nayeon's sleepy face earning her another groan.

Nayeon sat beside her on the floor. She looked funny with a towel over her head and a blanket draped around her shoulders. The younger handed her a cup of warm chocolate drink. They're just silent and Nayeon was still in a daze recovering from her sleepy state.

"It's cold" referring to her half cup of chocolate drink that was warm (not hot but at least not cold) a while ago, having only realize it now.

"Sorry" Chaeyoung muttered. The younger girl couldn't take a hot drink without burning in the process. Jeongyeon teases her for being such a child. She'd rather be teased than burn though.

 

The sound of the rain against the roof filled the room. They were both in a daze, holding their now empty cups.

"Mina texted you earlier" Nayeon said all of a sudden, her voice above a whisper still staring at nothing.

"When you were in the shower..." A pause, "I didn't check it though. I swear" she added even though Chaeyoung didn't say anything.

"Alright" She chuckled. It was just probably Mina notifying her that she arrived home safe, maybe also asking whether she was already home. It was one of the conditions Mina laid so she'd let Chaeyoung accompany her after classes.

"Are you friends now?" She looked at the younger girl with a soft expression.

"Yes"

She wonders what would Nayeon say, this is Mina afterall. She doesn't know how Nayeon feels about Mina. They never talked about it, didn't have the chance to and even if they do, there's really no reason to. She's sure that's what Nayeon would say.

But it made her nervous, what if Nayeon doesn't like Mina? But why would she? Idiot, because Jeongyeon crushed on her. Nayeon isn't that petty but what did those look on her face mean? that doesn't necessarily mean she dislikes Mina though... The brief silence made her mind run a thousand miles, her head's really loud. She depises it sometimes.

"I'm glad"

"huh?" Chaeyoung wasn't sure if she heard that right.

"You're making friends, I'm glad" she said with a smile. That made her blush, Jeongyeon and Nayeon looks out for Chaeyoung more than she'll ever know and the latter is grateful just as much.

"You don't dislike her?" innocence dripping from her voice.

"Why would I?" Nayeon chuckled, "You can't leave me out, okay? Your friends are my friends too!" Chaeyoung grinned.

"Invite her to lunch, she hasn't come over since Jeongyeon but they were fine, so I wonder why" She asked curiously, "We haven't talked much--I wasn't around that much after Jeongyeon introduced her. Duties and stuff... I just wish all of these would be over soon" she sighed.

Then why did you have that relieved face the day Jeongyeon arrived without her?, she ought to ask but caught her tongue. It was probably just her imagination anyway but was all the other time before that just her imagination too? She wouldn't know unless she asked right?

but not now, those things felt a little less significant as of the moment. Nayeon looked genuine about wanting to befriend Mina too. She's really a good person.

"She made more friends. Japanese like her"

"Oh, right. I thought I saw her walking with Sana and Momo," her palms joined together in realization, "invite them over for lunch too! we have few classes together, I think they're pretty cool!"

 

 

Saying Chaeyoung was nervous is a little bit of an understatement. Just a tiny weeny bit.

Not knowing the outcome of an action was somewhat unnerving as she can already tell when she tried to befriend Mina. However this time it's different. This time there wasn't just Mina and herself to consider, the additional variables to the equation and the million possibilities that could transpire out of this is what was making her bite her nails in anxiety. She doesn't know why though. It's just--

Right then are three figures emerging from the entrance of the cafeteria. It can't not catch her attention since all heads turned like they just saw Jesus descend from heaven. It was quite close though, because there were the Japanese trio making their way to their table making the crowd part like the red sea and talk even more. They weren't usually seen around the cafeteria since the girls like to bring their own bentos and eat elsewhere. Where? Chaeyoung doesn't know but if you'd ask one of these people staring they can probably answer you the 'who, what, when, where and how's.

Chaeyoung was supposed to do something, anything. She invited them afterall (as per Nayeon's instructions). Instead she just sat there agape, still nervous and like her mind did a mini time skip, the three beautiful girls were suddenly in front of her.

"Oh!" Jeongyeon squeaked when she registered the presence that joined their bubble making Tzuyu and Dahyun jump in their seats.

"Sana! Momo!" she happily greeted them with a grin, "Mina" she softly added when her eyes landed on her.

"Hi!" Sana's high pitched voice tickled Chaeyoung's ears (and probably sent Dahyun to the moon). Jihyo, Jeongyeon and Nayeon have some classes together with the trio, so they're quite acquainted already. Add to it that Sana and Momo were already well-known even before Mina came.

"Yo! YooJeong" Momo, the girl beside Sana, high-fived the short haired girl, somewhat thrilled. Jeongyeon and Momo are both members of the women's volleyball team in the Highschool division. While Jeongyeon joined last year, Momo just decided to give in to the o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter