Testing the limits

One step away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Nachaeng ahead.

 

 

 

"Why... I mean why does she really have to make us do something with this little time. It's not like she's the only subject we have" Momo groans as she takes her usual seat in their usual lunch table.

"Actually Momo a week is sufficient enough" Jihyo interjects.

"No, it's not" The Japanese girl whines with a pout.

"Yes, no it's not. You're just a nerd" Jeongyeon joins.

"Now, stop attacking Jihyo, girls. You won't want her in a foul mood for the next few hours, won't you?" Sana says and the two other girls shivers at the thought.

A harmless banter among the girls is a daily affair. They really like and match each other well. It makes every day worth looking forward to. It was really fun to be with Japanese girls in addition to their friend group.

"What were you guys whining about?" Tzuyu asks, curious about all the whining since earlier. Her other two friends leans in, just as curious.

"Hmm, the teacher assigned a topic for two people and we don't even get to pick our partners" Jihyo explains and Momo groans again at that, "The presentation order is random though. As in draw lots so you won't really know which day you'll be presenting. It's kinda annoying cause you have to be done by the first day of the deadline even if you're going to be last to present by some miracle" Jihyo is obviously as frustrated as the others but masks it with toughness as usual. On top of this she has all the student council duties, backing up the president in everything. It's even a lucky thing to sneak in a break in between her duties, thankfully she finished a part of it yesterday so she can spend time with her friends during lunch. Nayeon is nowhere to be seen though, she's probably somewhere overworking herself.

"Well, it'd be really bad if you're somehow, with all your unluckiness, be the first to present if you're unprepared. I think there are benefits to going first and going last though. You just have to look at everything positively" Tzuyu says.

"Benefits in going first? Where? I've never heard such thing" Momo snorts as she takes out her bento from her bag. It looks simple but it's a really hearty meal for Momo, she packs her own bento anyway.

"Well, for starters the teacher won't expect much from the people who would present first, would show more mercy for your mistakes since you had the least time to prepare. The pressure goes up as it goes on and since you get to finish first the burden is off your shoulders early while others would still be anxious about if their day finally came. Things like that?" She says as a matter-of-factly.

"Oooooh, Chou Tzu you're really wise" Momo raises a thumb of approval and Tzuyu replies with a shy smile.

"You're just dumb" Jeongyeon snickers.

"It's fine, as long as you know you're dumber" Momo retaliates before devouring her egg roll. Jeongyeon is about to make a comeback when, "Hey guys, sorry i'm late" Mina arrives, a little flushed probably from running, she's short of breath.

Chaeyoung looks up and flashes a smile. The older girl immediately sat beside her and smiles back.

"It's fine Mina. Where were you?" Jihyo asks routinely as she rummages through her bag, keeping the conversation going as always.

"Ah, I was talking to my presentation partner" She mumbles.

"Oh, Jinyoung? You're in luck, he's smart you know." Jihyo says miraculously hearing Mina's soft voice.

"Y-yeah" Mina rummages through her bag as well.

Why is everyone rummaging through their bags?

"Should we get food?" Chaeyoung asks and everyone except those who brought their lunch nods in agreement.

"Dahyunnie, I made food for you!" Sana's high pitched voice was too much in contrast with Mina's just as much as Jihyo's loud one.

 

Everyone gets up to queue and get their foods.

 

"Poor Momo left with the lovebirds" Jeongyeon chortled. Getting a tray and two plates.

"I can tell how she feels cause a certain couple decided to be overly gross in front of me every lunch break way back" Jihyo smugly replies.

"I wonder who?" The short haired girl asks a little too innocently.

"Right?" The vice president lets it go but not wiping that smirk off her lips.

 

"Unnie, you won't be able to hang out later?" The cub asks, falling in line just behind Mina.

"W-what? Why do you think so?"

"Uhm, your presentation" Mina took two trays and gives the younger the other one.

"Oh, right? Yeah, you're right! I think we need to finish it soon just in case we get picked to go first. I don't like cramming at all"

"Ooooh, nerd minari~" 

Mina chuckles at the nickname.

 

 

"Thank you for taking your time, my brain cells got murdered because of this two while you're away" Momo says sarcastically, which made Sana make more annoying kissing sounds beside her.

"You have brain cells?" Jeongyeon gasps. Momo took the other girl's sausage off her plate and chomps on it as revenge.

"HEY!" The short haired girl exclaims but can't do anything about it because it's already shoved down Momo's throat.

Jeongyeon takes the sausage off the other plate and places it on the other which Momo stolen from.

"Won't Nayeon unnie be mad if she finds out you're stealing from her plate?" Tzuyu asks as she sips her fruit juice.

"This is her plate" she gestures to the plate with now complete pair of sausage.

And the others just look at her wordlessly for a while and resumes eating their food.

 

Chaeyoung is distractedly eating her food with Mina beside her. She couldn't stop thinking about her soft lips against her cheek. Can't stop thinking about her long fingers intertwined with hers.

And she wants nothing else but to hold her again. She kept screaming against her pillow last night, she just couldn't sleep properly. It's as if the conversation before that was just a nightmare she intends to forget. The young girl tucked it at the back of her mind.

 

The bell rings signalling the end of break. Nayeon couldn't make it to lunch, Jeongyeon wraps it for her but Jihyo volunteers to hand it to her since she's heading to the student council room anyway.

 

"Wanna hang out later?" Dahyun asks as they make their way onto their class.

Tzuyu shrugs and Chaeyoung thinks for a bit.

"Come on! Tzuyu I know you don't have anything to do and Chaeyoung! Mina unnie has her presentation so you don't have an excuse!" Dahyun says, her eyes pleading.

"Only if you buy" Tzuyu smirks.

"Okay, deal!" Chaeyoung agrees enthusiastically.

"W-wait! I didn't say yes? Where's the negotiation?! I demand a vote!" Dahyun's whines drowns in the hallways.

 

 

After another dull time in class they're finally free from this prison for the young called school.

They sit in a restaurant that serves noodles and various meats, it's one of their favorite places.

"So... How is it with Sana unnie?" Tzuyu asks after swallowing the her first pork of the night. Dahyun frowns and Chaeyoung knows the girl intends to answer seriously.

"Honestly? It's really good. I feel really good around her" Dahyun answers.

Tzuyu doesn't make any gagging sounds or any sort to play with Dahyun this time, "Then what's with the seriousness" she asks as she rolls her noodles with her chopsticks.

"I... just feel like it's too much, I guess. I fall for her deeper and deeper everyday, I want to hold her hand more, I want to touch her more, I... want to kiss her" She smiles sheepishly expecting a teasing from her friends.

It didn't come though, "Then do it" Tzuyu deadpans and Chaeyoung just looks, she almost nodded to what Dahyun said... relating a lot.

"Isn't it like i'm giving away too much? I feel like i'm too high and if I fall from this height I don't think I can survive" she pokes on the poor meat on her plate.

"You think Sana unnie will break your heart?" Chaeyoung raises a brow, "You aren't even together yet and you're already thinking about your break up?"

"That's exactly! We aren't even together yet and I feel like i'm already going crazy. I don't even know if we're ever going to be official cause you know, we're still trying things out? And i'm not sure how's that supposed to be but it's my first actual relationship and I don't know what I should be doing with these feelings" The worry drips from the pale girl's voice.

"You know I think you should have a talk with Sana unnie about this. It's your first relationship but it's also her first relationship with a girl. She may look confident trying to lead, and maybe she just tries to be because between the both of you she's at least had an experience but when it comes to this she might be as clueless as you are, you know" Tzuyu advices.

Dahyun plays with her food for a while, thinking about what Tzuyu said.

After a while of letting Dahyun with her thoughts Chaeyoung puts meat on Dahyun's plate.

"Don't think too much Dahyun-ah, you should enjoy this stage of your relationship. Getting to know each other more? I think it's because you're just not familiar with these feelings so you didn't know how to deal with it but you'll figure it out along the way... with Sana unnie" The short girl says. It's the sort of advice she should be hearing for herself.

Dahyun looks up at the both of them for a while and beams at them, "Thank you! You guys know you're the best right?" she gets up and pats both of them on the shoulder, shaking them a little.

"I want more meat..." Tzuyu impassively says in response to Dahyun's words. The pale girl grins at her and raises her hand, "Auntie! Two more servings of sweet and sour pork please!"

 

 

She's changed already into comfortable sleeping wear, ready to waste her time away until she falls asleep. It's a little too early to fall asleep though.

She grabs her phone and unconsciously taps Mina's messages. They hadn't texted all day since they were in school and after it Chaeyoung was hanging out with Dahyun and Tzuyu while Mina has her presentation.

 

Chaeng: Hey, minari. Are you home already? Don't get home too late...

Sent.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter