Chapter IV

Love Is Online

Chanyeol read what he had just sent. He couldn’t believe it. He tried to think of many ways of retracting his message. He finally thought of one but it was ridiculous. But even if it was ridiculous, he gave it a go.

chanyeol92: That was a typo. I meant I’m jelly. I love jellies.

chanyeol92: Hey… are you there?

chanyeol92: Why aren’t you replying?

chanyeol92: Are you chatting with him again?

callmelisa: Yeah. Why?

chanyeol92: What are you talking about?

callmelisa: Nothing. Just ordinary stuffs.

chanyeol92: Stop chatting with him.

callmelisa: Why? You referred me to him.

chanyeol92: You’re a dangerous person. I don’t want any harm near my friends.

callmelisa: I don’t think Laysuk would mind.

chanyeol92: Laysuk? You even gave him a nickname?

Why the heck am I getting frustrated over this? This is all her fault. I need to confront her tomorrow.

It’s not that Chanyeol cared about the person chatting with him. He just didn’t want to be won over by someone else. He had always been the superior and the better one. He wouldn’t lose against someone over the internet. But maybe, just maybe he did care about the person chatting with him.

** The following day in the school library **

Chanyeol kept on looking for Lisa. He asked anyone he met on his way about a girl named Lalice Manoban but no one knew about her. It was a hot day so he decided to stay in the library for a while to get cooled down. He went near the General References section and he saw someone who would surely be able to help him.

Byun Baekhyun. Chanyeol had a big smile on his face.

He approached Baekhyun who was too busy to notice him. The latter was reading a scrabble words dictionary. He was going to represent their school in the international scrabble competition after all.

Chanyeol sat beside Baekhyun and that was when he noticed him.

“If you want the rationales, I already gave them to Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun said without even looking at Chanyeol.

“I’m not looking for the rationales. I’m looking for your friend,” Chanyeol replied.

“Which friend?” Baekhyun asked.

Chanyeol took the dictionary from Baekhyun and said, “You know who.”

“Lalice doesn’t study here.” Baekhyun took back the dictionary from Chanyeol and continued reading.

Chanyeol took the dictionary again. “Tell her to meet me tomorrow.”

“Why don’t you tell her yourself?” Baekhyun took back the dictionary again. “And please stop disturbing me.”

“Byun Baekhyun, you must think that I’m smitten with your best friend. Unfortunately for you, she’s the one who’s smitten with me. Don’t think that you can use your best friend to behave and speak like that to me.” Chanyeol’s tone went from casual to authoritative.

Baekhyun closed the book and faced Chanyeol. “Just because we’re friends doesn’t mean we’re best friends. Friends and best friends are two different things. And I don’t use other people for my own personal gain unlike others out there who make the life of an innocent student who accidentally bumped into him a living hell. And one last thing, if there’s a person whom Lalice is smitten with, it’s not you. It’s Lay. L-A-Y.”

Baekhyun smiled in his thoughts. It was his plan to make Lay and Chanyeol fight but he didn’t plan it to happen today. Maybe fate listened to him and learned about perfect timing.

“I guess you need a beating today, Byun Baekhyun.”

This wasn’t the plan. At all. I’m fked. Baekhyun thought.

“Follow me to the clubroom,” Chanyeol said as he went out.

I’m fked, really. What do I do now? Chanyeol should be jealous about Lisa being smitten with Lay. He should be furiously looking for Lay right now. But why is this happening? Fate, you need to start from the basics.

Wait. I know just the right thing to do.

Baekhyun opened Lisa’s Kik account and sent Chanyeol a message.

callmelisa: Yeolie ;) What are you doing today?

It had been a minute already and Chanyeol hadn’t sent a reply yet. Was he too angry to notice his phone vibrating?

callmelisa: Yeolie, wanna go somewhere tomorrow? It’s Saturday ;)

Please, please, please, Baekhyun prayed.

chanyeol92: You don’t study in SM University?

Baekhyun was so happy that he started shouting Hallelujah in the library. It ended with him being scolded by the assistant librarian.

callmelisa: I study in YG University.

Baekhyun’s phone vibrated once he placed it in his pocket. He believed it to be from either Chanyeol or Lisa. He opened it and it was the worst text message that he had received. Yes, it was from Chanyeol but it wasn’t sent through Kik. It was sent through a network and was intended for Baekhyun.

From: Satan

Come here, Byun Baekhyun.

Fkkkkkkkkkkkk. Why?

He held onto the thin string of hope and sent a message to Chanyeol through Kik.

callmelisa: Wanna go watch Love Is Online tomorrow with me?

chanyeol92: No. I’m busy tomorrow. Wait for me outside your school gate after dismissal time.

You’re busy tomorrow? Park Chanyeol, you just told me awhile ago to tell Lalice to meet you tomorrow. Fk. Another text message from the devil.

From: Satan

I’ve been here for more than 10 minutes already, Byun Baekhyun.

Why don’t you just stay there forever, you crazy guy?

callmelisa: Aww. I already bought two tickets. Guess I’ll just invite Laysuk.

chanyeol92: I just checked my schedule and I’m not busy tomorrow.

Baekhyun saw the most wonderful fireworks in his 17 years of existence.

chanyeol92: But I’m busy today. A friend of mine is going crazy.

The fireworks disappeared too quickly.

A friend of yours? I don’t remember asking to be friends with a devil. And I’m going crazy? Fk, you’re already crazy!

callmelisa: That’s okay. Laysuk is online. I’ll just chat with him.

chanyeol92: Wait. My friend is busy. Let’s chat.

Got ya.

** Later that day in the Byun household **

Baekhyun was so tired from avoiding Chanyeol. He pretended to be sick and ate lunch with the nurse. He didn’t attend his afternoon classes and spent his whole afternoon in the clinic. He left the clinic when there was only 30 minutes left before dismissal time. Instead of going to his class, he went to the bathroom. When there was only 10 minutes left, he went home. Baekhyun was glad that it was a Friday and he didn’t have to meet Chanyeol for the next two days.

“Oppa, you look so tired. Do you wanna eat black bean noodles?” Lisa asked as she entered Baekhyun’s room.

“Yeah. Make it 3,” he replied.

“I ordered 4.” Lisa, closing her eyes, laid on Baekhyun’s bed as her older brother changed his clothes. “So how did it go with Chanyeol?”

“Didn’t you check our convo?”

“Couldn’t check it. The others made me crazy with studying. My phone’s lowbat,” she said.

“You can open your eyes now.” He sat on his bed. “I invited Chanyeol to watch Love Is Online tomorrow. I told him to meet you near the ticket booth of K Cinema at 10:00 am. The movie starts at 10:30 am.”

“You go meet him.”

“Lalice, you know I can’t do that. Both of us wouldn’t like it,” he said.

“You will go, right, oppa?” And there was that smile that Baekhyun oh-so hated.

“But I told him that I already bought the tickets. I lied and I don’t have money.”

“Don’t worry, oppa. I have tickets here,” Lisa showed him two tickets for Love Is Online. “I actually checked your conversation before I went home with Jenny’s phone. I got smacked because of that.”

“Jenny should have smacked you harder. You deserve it.”

“So you will go, right, oppa? You will do it, right, oppa?” Lisa gave him the smile that told him that he had no other options.

It’s official. I hate the statement ‘You will do it, right, oppa?’

**

[A|N: Thank you soooo much for reading and as always, please point out the grammatical errors if you notice them. Lots of love <3]