Chapter 4/ A new friend

The Childhood Promise

-In the plane-

Soomi glanced at a girl about her own age sitting next to her. Soomi was surprised a girl her own age was travelling to Seoul, alone, too. The girl turned and blinked when she saw Soomi looking at her. The girl smiled, “Annyeong, I’m Jung Heerin! “She stuck out her hand.

Soomi shyly smiled back and said, “I’m Lee Soomi.” She warmly shook Heerin’s hand. “How old are you?” asked Heerin, “I’m turning 12 in a few days,” Soomi replied. “Ahh, that’s great! We’re the same age; by the way, what brings you to Seoul?” asked Heerin, curiously peeking at Soomi.

Soomi replied, “I’m moving to Seoul to live with my appa. Well, on weekends, actually, since I’m boarding in a school near to my home which doesn’t make sense.” Soomi shrugged carelessly. Heerin smiled, “Really? Which school will you be going to?” Soomi took a deep breath, “Seoul Boarding Academy for Girls,” Heerin let out a squeal, “Oh my gosh! You’re the new girl! I am supposed to be the one guiding you around the school, isn’t this great that we met on the plane?”

Soomi chuckled at her excitable new friend, she nodded and asked Heerin, “So, what’s the school like?” Heerin replied, “It’s great, their many facilities and we can use most of the room during our free time.Ooh, pretty necklace! “ Heerin pointed to Soomi’s necklace.

Soomi touched it and once again, tears welled up in her eyes, “Bwoh? Gwenchana? I’m sorry!” Heerin said, with a concerned expression on her face.  Soomi wiped the tears away, “I’m fine, tell me more about the school!” she smiled bravely.

Heerin breathed a sigh of relief, grateful for the change of subject and chattered endlessly about the school…

“Soomi-ah! Wake up! We’re landing soon!” Heerin shook Soomi’s shoulder. Soomi woke up with a start. She was nearly in Seoul.