Chapter 9/ A letter with good news.

The Childhood Promise

-a few weeks later-

Soomi walked into her room at the academy and just as she sat down, Heerin burst into the room, saw Soomi, squealed in delight, dropped her things and tackled her in a tight hug. “Soomi! I missed you so much!” Soomi laughed and hugged her back. “I missed you too, Heerin unnie.”  Heerin smiled and said, “So Zico oppa told me he met you, he seemed very enthusiastic talking about you, describing you as pretty and smart, yet kind and sensitive. Basically, the dude gushed on and on about how amazing you are.” Soomi smiled, “Zico oppa is a nice person, he’s fun to talk to and he’s really kind and funny.” Heerin scoffed, “Are you kidding me? That dude torments me for the fun of it and he’s such a jackass.” Soomi laughed and said, “Unnie, that’s probably because you insult every person you know!” Heerin threw up and her hands and groaned.

“Soomi, you have mail!” said Jessica as she knocked on the door of Soomi’s room. Soomi opened the door and Jessica handed her the letter. Soomi’s eyes widened in surprise. She wasn’t expecting a letter. She carefully tore open the seal from the back of the envelope. In it contained a single piece of paper. It said,

Dearest Soomi,

How are you? Do you miss superhero oppa? Superhero oppa misses you very much. How is school and how have you been? Did you make any friends?

Anyway, I’ll be going to Seoul this weekend with Chaerin noona. I hope we’ll be able to see each other. Send me a letter or give me a call as soon as you can, okay?

I’ll be looking forward to seeing you, Soomi!

Sincerely,

Junkyu, superhero oppa.

Soomi smiled and said, “Junkyu oppa is coming to visit Seoul! This is good; I can introduce him to my friends!” Jessica smiled and said, “Cool, I’ll be leaving now, bye!” Heerin laughed at Soomi’s tone, she sounded so excited, “We’ll love to meet him. But uh, Zico oppa kind of wants to meet us too, on that day.” Soomi frowned for a moment but brightened up immediately, “He should come along too, and I’m sure Junkyu oppa wouldn’t mind!” She ran to get her phone and dialed Junkyu’s number.”

-Junkyu’s house a few minutes later.-

“No No No NO MERCY!” the song played from Junkyu’s phone. Junkyu quickly answered the phone, “Hello?” The voice on the other end said, “Oppa, it’s me!” Junkyu smiled at the sound of his best friend’s voice. “Soomi! You received my letter?” She said, “Yep! I’ve made plans; my new friends can come along, can’t they? I’ll be looking forward to seeing you oppa, but it’s still so long, come soon oppa!” He chuckled at her excitement and said, “Of course. I would love to meet them. The week will pass by quickly, don’t worry!” She smiled and said, “Call me when you reach Seoul, I have to go to eat lunch now, bye oppa!” He sighed a little, “Okay, bye!” He hung up and frowned a little, he hadn’t talked to her much, and he really missed her.

Chaerin saw her brother frowning and asked, “Why the long face, lil’ bro?” Junkyu sighed and said, “Oh, it’s nothing noona, it’s just…I really miss Soomi, and she seems really excited about her new friends and doesn’t seem to miss me at all.” Chaerin shook her head, “You’re overreacting, bro. She probably misses you as much as you miss her. You guys were really close. You’ll get to see her soon and you guys and talk properly and see each other.” Junkyu thought back to how excited she sounded when she told him she was glad he was going to Seoul and smiled, “You’re right, noona, thanks.” Chaerin smiled, ruffled his hair and said, “Anytime,bro. “